Ventura trip to India

Bin man

If you Google Bournemouth Echo or Dorset Echo And look around you should be able to see some v good shots of 5 cruise ships in Weymouth Bay

QM2 plus Aurora, Arcadia, Oceana & Ventura (iirc)

• Like 1

According to another  site, Ventura is no longer going to India, as the government has refused permission to dock. P&O is now trying to fly staff home. 

Anyone got any more information? 

Just edited today that Ventura is now showing as sailing to Portland anchorage.

Edited by wowzz

I presume the ‘other site’ is a social media outlet that can’t be named here?  
No disrespect to the source but is it a reliable (ie. direct from those making the decisions) one or is it purely speculative like everything else we have to go on with these situations?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Looking at Ventura's current speed and position, she doesn't look as if she's heading for India.

Her current position is off the coast of Falmouth with a destination registered as Southampton, neither of which are near India indeed but she's likely dumping gray water after being anchored in Weymouth for the last few days.

Your original comment that I queried had specific information regarding government permissions and plans to fly crew home which is why I asked if it was from a reliable source, or was it more speculation?

54 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Her current position is off the coast of Falmouth with a destination registered as Southampton, neither of which are near India indeed but she's likely dumping gray water after being anchored in Weymouth for the last few days.

Your original comment that I queried had specific information regarding government permissions and plans to fly crew home which is why I asked if it was from a reliable source, or was it more speculation?

I would say informed speculation from someone in contact with a member of the ship's crew.

VTS is currently showing Ventura due to dock at Mayflower Terminal tomorrow.  However, VTS has been a bit dynamic over the last couple of days regarding Ventura, which may well indicate that the India run is either off or postponed.

Frustrating times for the crew.  Elsewhere, newsfeeds have indicated that about 1.5 million seafarers are stranded across the globe, many having to endure being stuck in an achorage and not being paid.  Eg Manila Bay is a parking lot for over 30 ships.  Waters surrounding the Bahamas aren't much better.

Back to Ventura.   Her crew and those from other ships have now been "quarantined" away from the general population for 7 weeksish.  Anyone who had the virus would have started showing symptoms by now.  Followed by the 3 week transit 3 weeks, away from gen pop.  In the event that anyone has brought Covid on board, they should start showing symptoms before arrival in India and appropriate measures taken.

Fly the crew back, involves putting the crew on coaches to transfer them to an airport and the flight.  Each stage offering imho a greater opportunity to pick up the virus than chugging back.

Officialdom.

Edited by Son of Anarchy
  • Like 3

SoA - completely agree that if anyone on-board was positive they would have shown symptoms by now and for those crew who were recently transferred from other ships, they too would have been symptomatic by now as well if they had it so why the hassle with respect to getting them home?

Ultimately it comes back to the govt in question which in this instance is India.  According to the most recent news from India they’re preparing phase 4.0 of the lockdown which, from what I’ve read has said they’re planning on resuming domestic flights but nothing about international and many of the states are not actually in favor of relaxing the current conditions.  
At the end of the day it’s the local govt which holds all the cards so until they say they’re going to open international flights I would say they’re just as likely to sail a ship down there especially given Princess is loading up one of theirs to do the exact same thing.  

It may well be that the Indian government simply don't want anyone entering India at this time.  In which case the poor old crew are going to be stuck away from families etc.  Personally I would have thought that the best way to repatriate them would be by ship, given the logistics (interactions with gen pop as opposed to getting hold of coaches) of getting to airports.  

As you say down to local government.

38 minutes ago, Bin man said:

I wonder how many crew are returning home and will they bring anyone back in the hope that cruising will start in August 

Well Ventura is not returning any crew back to India,  so they are flying back. A stupid decision by the Indian government in my opinion,  as the crew will be totally clear of any virus by the time they would have arrived.  

But the fact that P&O is repatriating staff just demonstrates that cruising for the next 6 months (at least) is out of the question. 

Yes i think most ports around the world are going to be closed for a very long time,because the local people will not be happy for 1,000s of people to turn up in their town or city and when you look at how nasty it was in italy i dont blame them

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Well Ventura is not returning any crew back to India,  so they are flying back. A stupid decision by the Indian government in my opinion,  as the crew will be totally clear of any virus by the time they would have arrived.  

But the fact that P&O is repatriating staff just demonstrates that cruising for the next 6 months (at least) is out of the question. 

If this is the case it would seem there’s either been a very large ‘donation’ made to someone high up in the Indian govt or the following news article is flawed...or perhaps even both

https://zeenews.india.com/india/lockdown-4-0-domestic-international-flights-now-barred-till-may-31-2284343.html/amp

We now have Brittania and Ventura back in Southampton. Britannia going out this evening again and Ventura here until the 22nd may.

This information is valid from: 18/05/2020 08:02:12
Ship Name Arrival Time Departure Time Berth Agent
SILVER SPIRIT 11-May-20 11:45 22-May-20 23:59 104 DENHOLM PORT SERVICES LTD
SILVER CLOUD 16-May-20 13:28 21-May-20 TBA 38/9 DENHOLM PORT SERVICES LTD
BRITANNIA 18-May-20 05:49 18-May-20 16:00 46 CARNIVAL UK
VENTURA 18-May-20 07:12 22-May-20 16:00 106 CARNIVAL UK
AZURA 19-May-20 07:45 19-May-20 16:00 46 CARNIVAL UK
MARELLA EXPLORER 2 19-May-20 12:30 20-May-20 20:00 101 INTERCRUISES
QUEEN VICTORIA 21-May-20 08:00 21-May-20 16:00 46 CARNIVAL UK
QUEEN MARY 2 22-May-20 08:00 22-May-20 16:00 46 CARNIVAL U

Now whether they stick to this is another matter.

16 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm sorry - this is just wrong. Most crew have 8 month contracts. No one has gone home since early March.

This means that you have March, April, May, June and July contract ends that need to be repatriated as these cruises are cancelled. Thats 5/8 of the crew. Some of the crew are now 2 months+ beyond their contract finish date - they are entitled to go home. Whether they send some home early, I don't know but that wont be the majority that are going home.

Very few crew have come out to ships since early March. They are sat at home ready to be called into action when needed.

Edited by molecrochip
  • Like 1