Jump to content

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

 

If you follow those buffet discussions here, you can be sure that all those for whom the buffet is a so important part of their life do not care at all about their personal hygiene and put at risk others and themselves.

That has to be one of your most stereotyped post to date. All those who love buffets care nothing about their own personal hygiene...... You have managed to achieve a whole new level amusement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Rich..great post!  My dad was always fond of saying that it seems no-one is (read: wants to be) responsible for their own actions anymore. As a result, whenever something happens it's always someone else's fault.  But, you see, CV has brought out the worst in people who are decrying that their "rights are violated" just by being told to wear a mask in public or being told to stay home or social distance. It is a self-centered mode of thinking. 

Exactly for those that want to go out and earn a living not being under house arrest, go out and do so, for those that want to stay in their homes, well they can do that to.  It is self-centered to think otherwise.  The plan was do not get hospitals overrun, it worked, it is working.  The plan was never to be on lockdown until vaccine was developed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. There is no guarantee that a vaccine will even be developed. So people that are indicating they won't cruise or travel again till a vaccine is developed might wind up not traveling anymore. I, too, can easily side with that line of thinking - wait till the vaccine and then it'll be safe - but realistically it might not happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LXA350 said:

 

 

 

 you can be sure that all those for whom the buffet is a so important part of their life do not care at all about their personal hygiene and put at risk others and themselves.

 

Really?  Wouldn't it be more accurate to change "all" to "some of". A certain percentage of cruisers - and society in general - undoubtedly does not pay as much attention to personal hygiene as they should, but to say "all"?  Surely this is a miswording. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The big concern is other diners handling food and serving utensils. Maybe a "cafeteria" style "all-you-can-eat" set up would help relieve many concerns. Let the staff be the only ones handling the food. All food could be presented behind a full barrier. 

It would require a little more staffing. However, I think 86-ing the buffet would make a bigger dent in their profits. 

 

 

 

ikea.jpeg

Edited by Curt1591
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2020 at 7:43 PM, zonacruiser25 said:

Just drove by the Golden Coral buffet in my area and is has sign out that it is opening on May 25.  Might have to finally try it just to see how they manage the buffet

People like to make fun of them, but they have outstanding fried chicken and their salad items are fresh. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, jagsfan said:

People like to make fun of them, but they have outstanding fried chicken and their salad items are fresh. 

only the elitists make fun of Golden Coral Buffet

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2020 at 9:21 AM, Ocean Boy said:

That has to be one of your most stereotyped post to date. All those who love buffets care nothing about their own personal hygiene...... You have managed to achieve a whole new level amusement.

YOU are very naive.  If you would like to see it, I will post the study showing the increase in bacterial load during an evening in a bar where there is a common source of snacks such as peanuts or cracker mix.  WHERE do you think those bacteria (inc. E. coli) came from??

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 5:13 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Michael Bayley came out today and said Buffets will be back but a little different UNTIL things get back to normal. 

Must not be many contributors who also sail on Holland America.  THEY have modified their buffets over 2 years ago and most of the food in the buffet is dished and handed to you on plates from a server.  Many items are all served plated e.g., desserts, salads, sides etc so NO utensils used by multiple people needed

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 9:19 AM, Iamcruzin said:

I actually think  to go boxes is a better idea than people walking back to the room with exposed food on plates and drinks which is what they have been doing for years. To go boxes would actually prevent spills. Think of all of the to go meals we get at home. I have never spilled anything while driving home with the food and food has never been delivered to the house in poor condition or spilled out of the bag.

 

This picture from the "buffet" onboard one of the ships in Singapore (SuperStar Gemini and the SuperStar Aquarius), which are serving as temporary accommodation for 3,000 workers who have recovered from Covid-19, shows kind of a "to go" box situation. 😉

 

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/yoga-sea-air-and-safe-distancing-for-3000-covid-recovered-migrant-workers-staying-onboard

 

buffet.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2020 at 8:06 AM, LXA350 said:

If you follow those buffet discussions here, you can be sure that all those for whom the buffet is a so important part of their life do not care at all about their personal hygiene and put at risk others and themselves

 

How rude....This shows how few times you have ever visited the buffet. We eat every meal in the buffet and have done so for our last 30 or 40 cruises. What I think causes sickness on cruises is those that refill personal water bottles, fouling the water spouts for everyone else.  I suggest that if you do not like the buffet you dine elsewhere...….by the way... On a TA last year on the Vision, lobster was never offered in the main dining room, but in the buffet we had an unlimited supply.

 

Doug

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, OBX-Cruisers said:

Must not be many contributors who also sail on Holland America.  THEY have modified their buffets over 2 years ago and most of the food in the buffet is dished and handed to you on plates from a server.  Many items are all served plated e.g., desserts, salads, sides etc so NO utensils used by multiple people needed

Yes Yes and Yes, this has been posted numerous times, yet people from royal thread think they have to reinvent the wheel

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, spunks said:

What I think causes sickness on cruises is those that refill personal water bottles, fouling the water spouts for everyone else. 

 

And those pesky Chinese raspberries! 🙃

 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/04/24/cdc-report-raspberries-caused-2019-norovirus-outbreak-cruises/3018721001/

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OBX-Cruisers said:

YOU are very naive.  If you would like to see it, I will post the study showing the increase in bacterial load during an evening in a bar where there is a common source of snacks such as peanuts or cracker mix.  WHERE do you think those bacteria (inc. E. coli) came from??

Not from me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2020 at 7:16 PM, Sthrngary said:

.............I really think this is a great think to have buffets go away.  Remember, back in the day, it really was different.  Cost cutting over the years made buffets below average.  So bravo to Royal and all the other cruise lines for being brave enough to say, Bye Bye buffet. Just my two cents. Cruise well everyone. 

Has RCCL said that they will no longer have a buffet? I was hoping there would still be a buffet but served by crew with no access to serving utensils by passengers.

Edited by coffeebean
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OBX-Cruisers said:

Must not be many contributors who also sail on Holland America.  THEY have modified their buffets over 2 years ago and most of the food in the buffet is dished and handed to you on plates from a server.  Many items are all served plated e.g., desserts, salads, sides etc so NO utensils used by multiple people needed

P&O Australia changed there's back in 2015 ! 

 

 

https://www.pocruises.com.au/experiences/at-sea/dining/the-pantry

 

:classic_rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OBX-Cruisers said:

Must not be many contributors who also sail on Holland America.  THEY have modified their buffets over 2 years ago and most of the food in the buffet is dished and handed to you on plates from a server.  Many items are all served plated e.g., desserts, salads, sides etc so NO utensils used by multiple people needed

Because of the advanced age of the average HA cruiser what you described makes sense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

Has RCCL said that they will no longer have a buffet? I was hoping there would still be a buffet but served by crew with no access to serving utensils by passengers.

No, RCI did not say there would be no buffet. Some folks like to post speculation and opinion as if it is fact. I believe it was said there would be some unspecified changes until things settle down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Because of the advanced age of the average HA cruiser what you described makes sense. 

 

HAL's system works well for cruisers of all ages - children on up to seniors.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Why?

There have been multiple times where I have seen one person from an elderly couple go up to the buffet and get all of the food and drink for the two of them. The pre-made plating system would make it easier for them

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our first cruise was 50 years ago. 1970 on the Sea Venture which ultimately became the Pacific Princess, which became the Love Boat. At that time there were no buffets. All meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner were early or late seating. To get early breakfast we would have had to get up at 6AM.  That's when we decided on late dinner. For fifty years we've used late dinner, or my time, or free style dining.  Old habits are hard to break.

 

How many people want to get up at 6AM for breakfast? Maybe 10%? Late dinner would fill up instead of early dinner. They cannot accommodate 50% of cruisers at meal time any other way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, centurycruiser said:

Our first cruise was 50 years ago. 1970 on the Sea Venture which ultimately became the Pacific Princess, which became the Love Boat. At that time there were no buffets. All meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner were early or late seating. To get early breakfast we would have had to get up at 6AM.  That's when we decided on late dinner. For fifty years we've used late dinner, or my time, or free style dining.  Old habits are hard to break.

 

How many people want to get up at 6AM for breakfast? Maybe 10%? Late dinner would fill up instead of early dinner. They cannot accommodate 50% of cruisers at meal time any other way. 

That would be me. I am usually up and around no later than 5 AM.

 

Btw, when I was a kid the Sea Venture came to RI. My brother and I made our mother bring us to the port to see it. We got to go aboard and spent the day exploring the ship. Years later when we did our first cruise we got to Bermuda and there was the Pacific Princess there with us. It was so cool to see the ship again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...