From Mr Bayley - NO buffet

I don't know what will happen. I have not been on a cruise. I have heard dining in the MDR can be 2 hours. When things get sorted out more, I will have to read up. I will go crazy if I have to sit for 2 hours to eat a meal. 30-45 minutes is what I can stand. If there was a dinner show and stuff going on, I can understand the time. I would be perfectly fine with serving stations where the buffets use to be. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

I don't know what will happen. I have not been on a cruise. I have heard dining in the MDR can be 2 hours. When things get sorted out more, I will have to read up. I will go crazy if I have to sit for 2 hours to eat a meal. 30-45 minutes is what I can stand. If there was a dinner show and stuff going on, I can understand the time. I would be perfectly fine with serving stations where the buffets use to be. 

I'm the same way. I hate set dining schedules, and I've never liked dining for that long. That said in the MDRs that I have had lunch or dinner at, I would just go within 30 minutes of them closing for dinner (place would be empty and workers want you gone which is fine with me as I want to just eat and dash), or right when they open/end for lunch.  It's not that I'm a huge buffet fan, it's just that it's a faster and more casual experience. I agree that they should just keep the buffet as is, but have workers have to serve (which they often already do anyway). That said, I think they could just have passengers wear gloves when handling food although it won't always be perfect which is why the cleaning stations are good to have. To me the problem is mainly the capacity. They could leave more space between tables, but this would cause delays for people to eat (may not be an issue though if ships aren't filled to capacity). What they should do imo is just to have any available restaurant space open up to allow for more space, as well a remove room service fees. This won't happen though. I'm booked for an Alaskan cruise on July 31. It will probably get canceled, but if not, I'm fine with being among the first group back on. I imagine that yes there will be delays and people not knowing what they are doing, but it will probably at least be super sanitary since the ship would have had a lot of time between guests to air out. I think dining is actually the easiest thing to change, but everything else will be harder like the pool/hot tubs, gym, sauna, and any activities. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 11:21 PM, LibertyBella said:

I find the experience of eating at Windjammer restaurants  and other buffets somewhat disgusting and only eat there reluctantly if there is absolutely no other choice.

People pile their plates sky high and waste half of the food.  They drop food all over the place and make a mess.

Children run wild touching and grabbing different things, and many adults do the same, using fingers instead of tongs.  Droplets are probably constantly falling onto food from sneezing, coughing, yelling, and just talking.

Eating becomes a competition and a race instead of an experience to enjoy.

Give me sit down breakfast, lunch and dinner restaurant service every day!

I was on a cruise that did not have a buffet and that was wonderful .I never go to a buffet on land and certainly would never go to one on a cruise. I nominate your post above as the best ever on this topic.

• Like 3

On 5/14/2020 at 1:08 AM, SNJCruisers said:

Then you'll have to starve come lunchtime on port days on most mass market lines since they do not have  sit down service.  But of course there are luxury lines that will gladly fulfill your wishes.

The  MDR On RCI and NCL is open on the day you get on the ship .The RCI ships that have Sorrento’s are open on all port days .While you are not served it is much more relaxing than a Buffet.

3 hours ago, rich_cathybrock said:

I am trying to reconcile this future-state dystopian world where we go on vacation to reconnect with friends and family, and dine in tables of 8-12 to meet new people, when we all can't get within 6 feet of each other. 

Personally, I am ready to strike "social distancing" from my vocabulary.  It may work short-term whilst we all remain locked up sheltering in place at home, but unless someone has a plan for how we remake the entire planet's usable space to accommodate a 600% expansion, when we all emerge from hibernation, it simply isn't possible to "socially distance" as there just isn't enough usable space.  Vatican museums?  Never.  Times Square on NYE?  Right.  The local bar for your 20th anniversary - sure the other guests will be happy to clear out so you and your party of 12 can have the whole place to yourselves, staff included, without a $150/pp beverage menu. 

It's not only impacting cruises, this whole distancing "plan" is untenable, though I daresay the chair hogs will now have to make reservations.  We could have designated 15-minute dip in the pool (gotta distance - guess they can rope off -foot segments, what fun???).  And dating, along with the requisite procreation/perpetuation of the human species ought to grind to a quick halt, since "that" ain't likely with 6 foot of distance! 

I live in NY, and waiting for an empty subway car is NEVER going to be an acceptable reason for tardiness at work.  Oh, and Macys will have no problem keeping its remaining stores open to "no more than 10 concurrent shoppers", right?

When you stop to think about what it would really mean to stay this far apart for the foreseeable future, this whole concept is a disaster.  

People in Oceanside do not appear to be practicing social distancing for the most part.

14 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The  MDR On RCI and NCL is open on the day you get on the ship .The RCI ships that have Sorrento’s are open on all port days .While you are not served it is much more relaxing than a Buffet.

I said port days, not embarkation  day. And yes, MDR lunch on NCL as they open at noon is much better than the mayhem at the buffet area.  And pizza at Sorrento's is not like being served at lunch.  What is your position about getting a personal omelette made for you in the buffet? Or are you against even that concept?

As with most topics on these boards there are always going to be polar opposites on each side of the line in the sand.

54 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

I have heard dining in the MDR can be 2 hours.

I have never had a 2 hour dinner in MDR. We are usually in and out in 45 minutes to an hour at tops and that's if take our time.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was on a cruise that did not have a buffet and that was wonderful .I never go to a buffet on land and certainly would never go to one on a cruise. I nominate your post above as the best ever on this topic.

Why was not having a buffet on the ship wonderful? Does anyone force you into in on the ships that do have one?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I said port days, not embarkation  day. And yes, MDR lunch on NCL as they open at noon is much better than the mayhem at the buffet area.  And pizza at Sorrento's is not like being served at lunch.  What is your position about getting a personal omelette made for you in the buffet? Or are you against even that concept?

As with most topics on these boards there are always going to be polar opposites on each side of the line in the sand.

I know you said Port days,Pizza at Sorrento’s is very  relaxed .I never eat omelettes on ships. There are other options on RCI ships to the buffet even on port days.

There is the place in the solarium where you stand on line to get food but it is a relaxing area.

its not just on CC that people disagree .People all over have different opinions.A science fiction writer once wrote a book about a society where everyone looked alike but did not think alike.😀

10 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Why was not having a buffet on the ship wonderful? Does anyone force you into in on the ships that do have one?

Absolutely not I was on the Cunard Ambassador .There was only one restaurant on the ship and it was a sit down dining room.When I go to dinner on land or sea I like to be served.I almost never go to a fast food restaurant .The last time I went to an on land buffet was in NYC in 1968.

2 hours ago, bigrednole said:

If you select traditional dining, which is the same table same tablemates each night you will eat at the pace of the slowest person or the person who orders extra appetizers, entres or desserts. My time dining you don't have to share the table with others and you can go at your own pace. We have been in and out in 30 minutes when we wanted to make it to a show. You just have to let the waiters know that you are in a hurry. Otherwise it was anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour depending on your pace.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

We were the only one in Jamie's the night we ate there. The only reason we went was because they offered us a 30% discount that day. 

And a 30% discount could not entice more people to join you.....says alot.  The specialty restaurant that we frequent is Izumi.  They never have special discounts for that....and there is never more than a few tables filled...NEVER even near 50% full, but we love it and it is a MUST on a ship that has it.

I have been cruising for over 40 years with 23 cruise under my belt. My wife and I, 40 years ago Honeymooned on the SS Norway.  The largest cruise ship at the time.  We used to love to go to the mid-night buffet for the 5th meal (A take off on Taco Bell's 4th meal logo).  As the many cruises and years went on, we started to dislike the buffets.  Lots of food, lots of variety and average to below average quality and taste. 

About 10 years ago, when we turned 50 ish, we wanted to upgrade our cruising experience.  We began to take less cruises however when we did cruise, we did suites.  From HAL, Celebrity, MSC, Oceana, Royal and NCL.  Each had suites only restaurants who's food was better then even specialty restaurants.  Yet still, we had to go back to the ships buffet for at least one meal.  Every cruise line, every cruise we felt the same.  Average food, average quality lack of seasoning, yet lots of it.  

I remember on a recent Celebrity Cruise on the Equinox. We world sit on the top deck, in front of the real grass, go to the buffet for a cheese plate and bread.  Simply stated, the Buffet simply ran its course.  What really bothered me personally was the way folks would touch food and not put it on their plate.  Then there was the unbelievable waste.  Folks that piled the food 6 inches high and eat 1/8 of it.  

I really think this is a great think to have buffets go away.  Remember, back in the day, it really was different.  Cost cutting over the years made buffets below average.  So bravo to Royal and all the other cruise lines for being brave enough to say, Bye Bye buffet. Just my two cents. Cruise well everyone. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 7:33 PM, mpaff said:

I saw the interview and it was, in my opinion, concerning.  He was clearly back pedaling and misdirecting most questions.  He has no answers for the shareholders, TA or customers.  He does not have a time line to return so clearly June 12th is not a return date.  He stated only cruises to CC in the beginning so that eliminates almost everything but cruises out of FL.  No buffet? Are you serious?  Most people get their breakfast lunch and sometimes dinner from WJ.   

The future is unknown. Whatever he says today most likely will change by the time his first ship pulls up anchor. It's too early to hold him to the fire yet. Too many unknowns. 

44 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Turkey Sausage just yuck. 

Im fine with Vegetarians and vegans. I’m fine with the carnivores who load Up their plates with bacon. But anyone eating turkey sausage should be put in a lifeboat and set adrift. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Im fine with Vegetarians and vegans. I’m fine with the carnivores who load Up their plates with bacon. But anyone eating turkey sausage should be put in a lifeboat and set adrift. 

You ever tried the turkey bacon? My advice..... don't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I personally think the food in the Solarium Bistro is just outright disgusting. Turkey Sausage just yuck. 

I have never eaten any kind of sausage.I did not mean Solarium Bistro.I am talking about the place where you wait on line to get soup,sandwiches ,beverages,muffins .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

I really think this is a great think to have buffets go away.  Remember, back in the day, it really was different.  Cost cutting over the years made buffets below average.  So bravo to Royal and all the other cruise lines for being brave enough to say, Bye Bye buffet. Just my two cents. Cruise well everyone. 

Yup, since you have no need for the buffet those you like it should do without. I have zero use for the MDR. I don't hope it goes a way as know many people like it.... and I don't want all those people in the Windjammer with me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Yup, since you have no need for the buffet those you like it should do without. I have zero use for the MDR. I don't hope it goes a way as know many people like it.... and I don't want all those people in the Windjammer with me.

Why go on a cruise to not have total relaxation ? Perhaps if I was in my teens I would love a buffet but different strokes for different folks.