Please think twice about doing a chargeback

oceanlovinmama

19 hours ago, billyu said:

Why even bother using a TA

That is easy.  You have one contact for everything.  My TA responds to calls or emails even today within 24 hours.  If there is a confusion they are calling on my side.  They have contacts that are more informed than the average Celebrity agent working from home.

There is also a financial benefit to me.  Usually my TA has group space a couple hundred dollars cheaper and perks even on a TA.  I also receive OBCR in the 5-10% of the base fare.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have been using the wrong TA all these years, it seems. They are not responding to emails and if they do they give the standard response 60 days for refund without reading our email! It is the famous agency in New Hampshire. Never had any complaints in the last 9 years.

Edited by vkb2751
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The last time I called our "Big Box" TA and got connected to the area that concerned the cruiseline I am awaiting a refund I received this prerecorded statement.  "due to the unusual number of calls we can't take your call now"  and they hung up.....used to be, "call back later"  or "give us your number and we call you back in ____ number of minutes"  but not this time....just "too busy" and hung up...

Sad to say the least, hopefully our chargeback will reap better rewards (refunds!!!)

26 minutes ago, vkb2751 said:

We have been using the wrong TA all these years, it seems. They are not responding to emails and if they do they give the standard response 60 days for refund without reading our email! It is the famous agency in New Hampshire. Never had any complaints in the last 9 years.

That "famous agency" from NH may have a good reputation for getting the lowest price, but does indeed not have a very good reputation for much else. They are one of the few who charge customers for booking changes and cancellations. Many report difficulty receiving personalized service and timely communication. (FWIW, most agencies can match the deals they offer.)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

The last time I called our "Big Box" TA and got connected to the area that concerned the cruiseline I am awaiting a refund I received this prerecorded statement.  "due to the unusual number of calls we can't take your call now"  and they hung up.....used to be, "call back later"  or "give us your number and we call you back in ____ number of minutes"  but not this time....just "too busy" and hung up...

Sad to say the least, hopefully our chargeback will reap better rewards (refunds!!!)

I do think the biggest difference between a big box “agency” and using a travel agent with a smaller, privately-owned agency (can still be online - doesn’t have to be brick-and-mortar) is that with the smaller agency you are generally working with ONE agent the whole time whereas with the big box you will likely get a different person every time. When my agent is going to be on vacation, she emails her clients with trips booked with contact info for one of her colleagues (and likewise when they go on vacation she is back-up for their clients).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I do think the biggest difference between a big box “agency” and using a travel agent with a smaller, privately-owned agency (can still be online - doesn’t have to be brick-and-mortar) is that with the smaller agency you are generally working with ONE agent the whole time whereas with the big box you will likely get a different person every time. When my agent is going to be on vacation, she emails her clients with trips booked with contact info for one of her colleagues (and likewise when they go on vacation she is back-up for their clients).

I'm sure you're right, and we've only used the "big box" for a few cruises, mostly because of the large amount of OBC they "were" awarding, that ended on Dec. 31, 2019.  Now they  offer a gift card.  Anyway with the mess this whole refund business is in I will go back to booking direct with the cruise line, and that way I won't have to deal with a "middle" person/company in the future.  It worked for the first 25 or so cruises, wish I had never changed.

I have been following this since it started and of course there are lots of opinions, all valid.  This morning my email contained a note from Celebrity with the "FINAL INVOICE" for the pre-purchases for our cruise that was supposed to leave Dublin tomorrow.....I almost laughed.  That they find time to send out but my $5000 refund for the trip they canceled is still in the MIA file.  I got up and went outside again and triple checked. There are no signs over my door saying "Mr. Click's Bank and Loan", not even "Mr. Click's Loan and Pawn" so I know that I still have not entered the banking and loan business.  When Celebrity canceled my cruise they said 45 days for a refund. I was not happy with it but I am being patient and on day 46 I will file the dispute with my CC company.  This week I filed disputes on 6 Princess Ledges bookings that I a made last January and canceled in March. When I canceled they said 7 to10 days and then they moved that to 60 days.  

Can I pay my bills without that refund? Yep.  But I am not in the business for loaning money and I feel I am being very nice and waiting for the 60 or 45 days they are saying.  Airlines have made their refunds in a week with no problem. They are dealing with huge cancelations as well and they too have cut staff and have staff working from home.  Please do not tell me that "But Celebrity is dealing with 3000 cancelations per cruise and the airlines are not"  I am sure the airlines are dealing with more that 3000 per day.  Oh, if a cruise ship holds 3000 passengers it is likely only 1500 reservations.  

So, to the OP, you are wrong.  People we need to stand up for our rights here.  I am not asking my TA, that big one in NH, to do it for me, I am just asking to be treated fairly by the cruise lines.  

Edited by Mr. Click
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

I just went over to the Princess board and read the few responses from the original poster. I just can't help but think she is a perfect example of being a Karen.

I learned something new today.😁

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

I just went over to the Princess board and read the few responses from the original poster. I just can't help but think she is a perfect example of being a Karen.

Sounds like a Realtor who " Guarantees to sell your house in 30 days or she'll buy it " --- total BS. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sippican said:

Interesting that the OP is very busy replying to posts on the Princess forum, but hasn't come back to this forum yet.

Has she received support on the Princess Boards? 

Here, most responses are negative!

On 5/16/2020 at 2:57 PM, mafig said:

So much for travel agents fighting for their client.😜

Celebrity told us that they will not speak to us we have to go through TA even for refunds and TA won’t respond to emails - agents are working from home and office is closed since late March. 

2 hours ago, vkb2751 said:

Mine is a big box TA in NJ with a complete travel site.  The "expedite" things.

11 minutes ago, vkb2751 said:

Celebrity told us that they will not speak to us we have to go through TA even for refunds and TA won’t respond to emails - agents are working from home and office is closed since late March. 

Wow!  I am aware of several TAs with big problems.  Among the worst on through a huge membership store.  Choose carefully.

• Like 1

If we ever get back to "normal" times, I will predict that many of us will be dumping our travel agents.  I also use that NH agency and they have been absolutely no help in getting my refunds.  During the initial panic in mid-March they could not be reached by telephone and since then their emails will get you a response days later... unless you want to book a new cruise.  Not that I'm bitter, but I am wiser.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike981 said:

I clicked on that..what sexist sterotyped  terminology....as well as for some of the other ones listed.  Glad I am not " hip " or in sync with mean modern culture!

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, vkb2751 said:

Did you try your cred card company?

10 minutes ago, hcat said:

I clicked on that..what sexist sterotyped  terminology....as well as for some of the other ones listed.  Glad I am not " hip " or in sync with mean modern culture!

I wasn’t aware of the term either. Agree!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2

If a big box TA still receives their commission for a paid-in-full booking if the cruise line cancels the cruise, and the booking included a big box store gift card after the cruise (vs an OBC), should the pax still receive that after the cruise line cancels & the pax receives a full refund for the cruise?  The TA was supplying the GC out of their commission that they still received.  Any difference for a FCC instead of a cash refund?  Just asking for a friend....

35 minutes ago, hcat said:

I agree … that's a pretty nasty stereotype … 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Argo. said:

If we ever get back to "normal" times, I will predict that many of us will be dumping our travel agents.  I also use that NH agency and they have been absolutely no help in getting my refunds.  During the initial panic in mid-March they could not be reached by telephone and since then their emails will get you a response days later... unless you want to book a new cruise.  Not that I'm bitter, but I am wiser.

Received the standard wait 60 days email even though it is 75 days since refund approved. After booking more than 50 cruises with them we are done with them!!!!!!

• Like 1

We actually paid our credit card bill for the amount we owed  AMA Waterways. (We did book 4 weeks within cruising)

Capital One immediately refunded our money. We had paid in full, I believe our TA was paid in full also, but not sure.