The Value of FCC

11 hours ago, SedonaJoel said:

Two comments:

1. When Regent just cancelled our Copenhagen to Reykjavik cruise we got 125% FCC and an offer to take a similar cruise (not the same exact cruise) and be guaranteed that it would not cost more than we paid for the cancelled cruise.

2.  The new FCC did not have to be used for one year.

As far as future cancellations you still have Regents standard cancellation policy where you only lose $100 if you cancel 4 or 5 months out.

Regent's policy in the past has been to credit the $100/pp cancellation fee to any other Regent cruise booked within one year.

Joel

This is the US refund policy, not the same in UK and other places!

6 hours ago, Foggyzx9r said:

Oh dear God, I need to up the pill dosage 😇😳

You're fine but some other posters may need to do that:classic_biggrin:  The issue of policies being different - depending upon your country of residency, can get confusing.  Comments like the one in the last post occur frequently.  

• 3 weeks later...

I hope this post is considered relevant to the topic. My wife and I sailed with RSSC in November and we are booked with them again for next April Tokyo/Tokyo. I was surprised that RSSC will not offer theIr Regent Reassurance to already booked cruises (we like them had no idea about the virus when we booked a long time ago). On asking them yesterday they said standard terms apply and if we decided not to sail even with 10 months notice we would have standard terms applied and we lose the 20% deposit no voucher option possible. (We are from the UK and it looks like RSSC discriminate negatively against non N American bookings regarding a $100 cancellation fee referred to in an earlier post) we don’t want to cancel but would like the reassurance just in case the situation is still fluid next year. We have sailed with Silversea many times and they have as standard a very flexible change and cancellation policy regardless of the current virus. Overall we are disappointed with RSSC on this and don’t now know what we should do before the rather large final balance is due?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, UK6 said:

I hope this post is considered relevant to the topic. My wife and I sailed with RSSC in November and we are booked with them again for next April Tokyo/Tokyo. I was surprised that RSSC will not offer theIr Regent Reassurance to already booked cruises (we like them had no idea about the virus when we booked a long time ago). On asking them yesterday they said standard terms apply and if we decided not to sail even with 10 months notice we would have standard terms applied and we lose the 20% deposit no voucher option possible. (We are from the UK and it looks like RSSC discriminate negatively against non N American bookings regarding a $100 cancellation fee referred to in an earlier post) we don’t want to cancel but would like the reassurance just in case the situation is still fluid next year. We have sailed with Silversea many times and they have as standard a very flexible change and cancellation policy regardless of the current virus. Overall we are disappointed with RSSC on this and don’t now know what we should do before the rather large final balance is due?

You can get "return to regent" plan instead of reassurance; 15 days cancellation prior instead of two days.  You also get a $1000 shipboard credit if price hasn't increased; however, under both plans you still need to make final payment and all money returned is in form of FCC.

I am not a Brit but believe what I said is correct even for you; Susan (Flossie) will correct me if I am wrong.

Marc

Edited by mrlevin

1 hour ago, UK6 said:

I was surprised that RSSC will not offer theIr Regent Reassurance to already booked cruises

Regent Reassurance does apply to already booked cruises, but is only applicable after final payment and only for cruises sailing in 2020 if booked before May 2020. 

Unfortunately bookings made in the UK do suffer from draconian penalties from time of booking. However @Guerncruising reported on another thread that Regent were willing to offer to covert the deposit to FCCs in these difficult times, but maybe that only applies to cruises sailing in 2020.

It does appear that UK customers with existing bookings for 2021 & beyond are at a distinct disadvantage to our American cousins. They could simply cancel & rebook under the Return with Regent scheme with little or no penalty whereas it appears that Regent(UK) are saying that the cancellation would mean full loss of deposit 😕

Thank you to both Marc and Flossie for the quick comments. Unfortunately as Flossie says it appears that RSSC has a policy to treat UK customers to worse terms and conditions than elsewhere. I must say I very much regret having booked with RSSC and feel this makes the likelihood of us having to cancel much higher as we would lose a very large amount if we pay the balance and then decide the travel situation is too risky for us even if the cruise goes ahead as we would lose everything. I am sorry we will miss the Japanese cruise and also of course the loss of our deposit in these difficult times. Will stick with Silversea in future. 

• Thanks 1

This is such a complicated matter that we need a "Philadelphia lawyer" to sort it all out, and I am only an "Oklahoma lawyer". All I can say is that if I had paid for a cruise on my AmEx platinum and Regent cancelled.I would "back charge" it. AmEx is good about that. No wait, and no problem.. And if I had paid for that cruise and Regent did not cancel it, I'd just go and have a good time! I smell a rat about FCCs, like the first post on this thread where the member took the 125% FCC, and then found that the same cruise a year later was 130% times the cost of the original cruise booked. I had originally thought that the pandemic would bring cruise fares down, like after 9-11. But the cruise lines came up with the 125% FCC idea, and pressured people to take it. But the FCCs have a limited time for use, so I expect fares to go up during the time before the FCCs expire. Maybe 25% or more. But after the FCCs expire is where bargains MAY be had. Now if a cruise line issues a bunch of 125% FCCs and then charges 130% for a comparable cruise later (presumably after the pandemic is somehow over), the line is just trying to recoup its losses from the shut down. I don't fault them for that. Indeed I would have suggested such a program had a line hired me as a consultant! But, even before the pandemic, we have always charged our cruise fare  on a CC where we knew we could charge back in the event of non-delivery.of services. Many people on the Paul Gauguin forum here are doing just that, when that cruise line does not even offer cash back, but only FCCs, for line cancelled cruise. 

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 1

Firstly, someone would have to show me proof that a cruise fare on Regent went up 125%.  I simply do not believe it.

In terms of the U.K., their “draconian” (to use flossie’s term) consumer protection laws cost cruiselines more money (not only Regent).  It is only for this reason that there are differences in the way most things are handled in the U.K. vs. the U.S.  

19 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

In terms of the U.K., their “draconian” (to use flossie’s term) consumer protection laws cost cruiselines more money (not only Regent).  It is only for this reason that there are differences in the way most things are handled in the U.K. vs. the U.S.  

I’m not sure why UK consumer protection laws are “draconian” . Most packaged holidays (including cruises) sold in the UK are covered by ABTA, this is an excerpt from their website:

A package holiday has both financial and legal protection.

Legal protection means your travel company is responsible for making sure that you get the holiday you paid for. If something isn’t provided or isn’t as expected, and your travel company or its suppliers is at fault, they will need to sort this out for you – either resolving the issue, offering an alternative or providing a full or partial refund. In some instances you may be able to claim compensation.

Financial protection means that if the company you have booked with goes out of business, you will receive a refund if you are yet to travel, or be brought home if you are already on holiday and your package includes return transport.

All package holidays sold to you in the European Economic Area (EEA) by ABTA Members are financially protected.

Examples of package holiday protection
  • You are due to travel to Thailand for your package holiday, but heavy snow and adverse weather conditions in the UK means flights are unable to depart. Your travel company will need to re-arrange your flight or will offer you a refund fo the whole package.  
  • You have booked a package holiday and the organiser of your package goes bust two days before you are due to travel. The organisation in charge of the financial protection, such as ABTA or the CAA, will ensure that you get a full refund of the money you paid for the package.”

I am not aware of any other consumer laws related to travel (aside from ATOL, which covers airlines) but am happy to be educated if they exist.

if anyone is interested in the full ABTA policy, here’s the link - https://www.abta.com/tips-and-advice/is-my-holiday-protected/new-package-travel-regulations

Well, the OP on this thread said he took the 125% FFC and found that the same cruise a year later was priced at 130% of what he had booked and paid for. Now maybe the OP misunderstands or something. But I take him at his word until somebody proves otherwise.

And from the post above, it sounds like the UK has consumer protection right. I wish the US sould follow suit. Now, let me be clear. I have never had a problem (yet) with Regent where I needed to avail myself of such laws. But I have had such problems with other travel, where such a law would have come in handy.

On 5/23/2020 at 2:51 PM, SusieQft said:

I am not in the same position, but I could be in the foreseeable future.  So I am very interested to hear how they handle this, as I am sure are many others.  Please let us know what happens, even though it might be different in the UK and the US.

SusieQft - an update... our 30 Aug cruise was officially cancelled last night, and they seem to be offering us the 125% FCC, plus Seven Seas loyalty credit for nights we would have sailed. We think this is beyond generous and we are very happy with their offer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

In terms of the U.K., their “draconian” (to use flossie’s term) consumer protection laws cost cruiselines more money

With the greatest respect, please don't twist my words to suit your own agenda.

What I said was that bookings made in the UK suffer from draconian penalties from time of booking (i.e. the non-refundable 10-20% deposits charged by Regent). I did not mention UK consumer protection laws.

Our consumer protection laws in the UK are very good but unfortunately some major companies, particularly those associated with holidays & travel, are choosing to ignore them during the economic challenges caused by COVID-19. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

What I said was that bookings made in the UK suffer from draconian penalties from time of booking (i.e. the non-refundable 10-20% deposits charged by Regent). I did not mention UK consumer protection laws.

Our consumer protection laws in the UK are very good but unfortunately some major companies, particularly those associated with holidays & travel, are choosing to ignore them during the economic challenges caused by COVID-19. 

And respectfully, believe the draconian penalties for bookings in the UK partially suffer from the UK consumer protection laws which put more protection for the consumer than the US and thus increases the costs of companies doing business in the UK which are passed thru to customers.

Somebody has to pay the costs of the UK Consumer Protection costs and Regent has chosen to use the booking penalty as one way to protect Regent from the costs of the UK Protections.

Edited by rallydave

16 hours ago, UK6 said:

I must say I very much regret having booked with RSSC and feel this makes the likelihood of us having to cancel much higher as we would lose a very large amount if we pay the balance and then decide the travel situation is too risky for us even if the cruise goes ahead as we would lose everything. I am sorry we will miss the Japanese cruise and also of course the loss of our deposit in these difficult times. Will stick with Silversea in future. 

It is a pity that Regent (UK) has given you cause to worry about their refund policies.

We are booked on the same cruise as you, B2B with the one prior, and are hopeful that cruising will be getting back to some semblance of normality by that time. Fortunately we made our booking "on-board" - meaning a much lower deposit and more flexibility (akin to US booking terms).

Presumably you will leave your decision as to whether to cancel until the last possible moment before final payment & further penalties kick in. By that time (December 2020?) the worldwide pandemic situation will be clearer, cruising protocols will be in place and Regent may have realised that the wording of their Regent Reassurance/Return with Regent programmes are not as attractive to UK clients as they should be.

Hope to meet you in Japan next Spring 🌸 🏯

46 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

I did understand what you posted and did not feel that I twisted your words.  You feel that the non-refundable deposit is "draconian" so I suggested that it could be the U.K. consumer protection laws that are draconian and causes Regent to impose different rules for the U.K.  While rare, I agree with rallydave on this one.  Someone has to pay the extra cost.

• Haha 1

I do not agree that the UK Consumer Laws are draconian as they support the consumer which is missing in the US.  It is Regent's reaction and draconian cancellation penalties that are draconian.  There are many ways for a company to protect their bottom line regarding consumer protection laws and do not believe that the 20% penalty from time of deposit is necessary.  There are other ways to skin this cat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello again Flossie009,

Thank you very much for your comments, I believe you have summarized everything very well both in terms of the inferior way we are treated by Regent by booking from the UK versus for example one of their major competitors Silversea who choose not to discriminate against Brits (I don’t see what UK consumer law has to do with this). 
Also you are correct that we will probably wait until the final payment is due before making the final decision but we are really concerned that we have zero flexibility in these difficult times, to be clear we want to go on the cruise and assuming the virus is under control by then we would, but if the situation is still a concern for us personally and the cruise is going ahead we will only have a choice of losing all monies paid and in those circumstances we will cancel before the final payment and have to take the pain of losing our deposit. Anyway if all goes well we will see you in Japan next year.

• Thanks 1

Going back to my opening post. I think I may have to give credit where credit is due (pardon the pun)

Regent today sent us an e-mail confirming cancellation of our August Baltic cruise. The expected choice of 100% refund or 125% FCC was made. In addition we were told that the cancelled cruise days would count on our Seven Seas Society record. 

But in addition to the above, the issue that I covered in my opening post was directly covered by Regent. They identified two very similar cruises, including the one I had noted in my opening post, to our cancelled cruise next year. They correctly noted that even with 125% FCC we would lose out and thus offered us a no further payment due deal if we take either of these cruises.

We will be considering carefully with our TA

Edited by Belfast Taxman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Belfast Taxman said:

Going back to my opening post. I think I may have to give credit where credit is due (pardon the pun)

Regent today sent us an e-mail confirming cancellation of our August Baltic cruise. The expected choice of 100% refund or 125% FCC was made. In addition we were told that the cancelled cruise days would count on our Seven Seas Society record. 

But in addition to the above, the issue that I covered in my opening post was directly covered by Regent. They identified two very similar cruises, including the one I had noted in my opening post, to our cancelled cruise next year. They correctly noted that even with 125% FCC we would lose out and thus offered us a no further payment due deal if we take either of these cruises.

We will be considering carefully with our TA

That is excellent news and apparently different than in the USA as I was told by 2 different people yesterday that you only get credit for the nights if you chose the FCC. I am in the process of verifying this with a third person. Make sure you get it in writing just to be on the safe side.

Pcardad:  Based on your demonstrated credibility re: the current cruising situation--

Have taken heart by your observation that April, 2021 aboard Explorer in Tokyo may be viable.  At this point [with two of our Regent 2020 cruises already canceled (by Regent); and having another series of Summer 2020 Uniworld river boat segments in France also canceled], our next-best cruising hope is doing that late April to mid-May 2021 Tokyo to Vancouver, B.C. segment. Will do the three-day pre-stay at Tokyo.  After coordinating with our TA, have already secured Business/1st N/S air to Tokyo.  Nothing to loose here, if this is a no-go because FF miles have been used.  ANA will not exact a penalty for cancelation.  

If, by that time, Canada has not long-since reopened Victoria/Vancouver to cruise ships--there will be a whole lot more problems in the world to worry about than cruising. 

Have until mid-November to make final payment.  At this point, again, our plan is to go-ahead.  If Regent cancels, we would take a second look as to accepting FCCs in lieu of opting for Refund--as we have done for this year's canceled cruises. 

GOARMY!

16 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Firstly, someone would have to show me proof that a cruise fare on Regent went up 125%.  I simply do not believe it.

See posts #1 & #70 on this Topic.

Somewhat unkind of you to disbelieve the TS, @Belfast Taxman, who has kindly gone to the trouble of sharing their initial dilemma and now the possible solution offered by Regent.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

See posts #1 & #70 on this Topic.

Somewhat unkind of you to disbelieve the TS, @Belfast Taxman, who has kindly gone to the trouble of sharing their initial dilemma and now the possible solution offered by Regent.

I am a fan of Belfast Taxman and, since there are hundreds of posts that are not necessarily posted on the correct thread, I did not know where to find the post in question.  Perhaps if he is reading this, he can direct us to the cruise that had their cruise fare increase 125%.  It would be helpful to know if this happened over a year, two years or since the pandemic began.  

If the cruise went up 125% since the pandemic began, all of us would be interested in knowing that.  It is not unkind to ask the source of information.  It is done all the time.  I questioned the validity based on our experience on Regent.

• Haha 1

Okay, so I read the TS's first post and learned which itineraries and which ships were being discussed.  I only have access to U.S. fares but they should be a good indicator.

I also do not have access to what the now-canceled August cruise would have cost at the time it was canceled (in a "D" suite).  However, in Regent's book dated July 2019 - May 2021, the Stockholm to London itinerary (12 nights) was $15,499/person.

The Stockholm to London itinerary for 2021 was (in book dated April 2021 - May 2022) was $13,999/person and is now $16,099/person (an approximate increase of 15%/person).

IMO, there was something wrong in the listing of these cruises on the U.K. website.

• Haha 2