Beach cruise?

On 5/20/2020 at 1:12 PM, Thrak said:

I didn't say we haven't cruised to Hawaii. Our second cruise was to Hawaii and we returned there as part of the 28 day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise. This was in 2012.

Sorry, I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

A 14 days Caribbean cruise on the Sea Princess back in 2008/2009. Only 2 sea days and long stays, embarking ports were Montego Bay/Ocho Rios (can't remember which)and Barbados. Loved the itinerary, loved the beaches and got a nice bronze tan that lasted for awhile.

7 hours ago, Kate P.C said:

A 14 days Caribbean cruise on the Sea Princess back in 2008/2009. Only 2 sea days and long stays, embarking ports were Montego Bay/Ocho Rios (can't remember which)and Barbados. Loved the itinerary, loved the beaches and got a nice bronze tan that lasted for awhile.

We found the 14 day Circle Caribbean to be a bit exhausting. Very few sea days.

11 minutes ago, Thrak said:

On those cruises we always treat several ports as sea days and just stay on board or else just go off ship for lunch

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

On those cruises we always treat several ports as sea days and just stay on board or else just go off ship for lunch

Since it was the first time we have sailed the Caribbean we didn't really want to do that. For folks who sail there a lot I can certainly understand doing so. It's the other side of the country from us so not our usual sailing venue. (Flights home from FLL are a real drag. Nothing tends to go directly to Sacramento and it can take anywhere from 8 to 16 hours. Idiotic.)

22 hours ago, Thrak said:

Since it was the first time we have sailed the Caribbean we didn't really want to do that. For folks who sail there a lot I can certainly understand doing so. It's the other side of the country from us so not our usual sailing venue. (Flights home from FLL are a real drag. Nothing tends to go directly to Sacramento and it can take anywhere from 8 to 16 hours. Idiotic.)

Ours are short flights to Atlanta but Delta know how to make them $$$$. 
I definitely have a love hate relationship with Delta 😳😳😳😳

On 5/18/2020 at 6:11 AM, Julia’s Journey’s said:

We were booked on the now cancelled TA on Enchanted Princess.

If princess offered cruises that went to Princess Cays and stayed at sea in that area for 3-5 days with you allowed days off at the beach daily, 5-7 day cruises leaving FLL, a sea day or 2.

How many would book that till ports open up again?

Princess Cays has been open to Day trips for crew onboard during this I heard.

We haven’t done Caribbean cruises for years, not huge beach people but would book this to start and get cruising going again.

It meets the ‘foreign stop’ and wouldn’t be exposing lots of ports to passengers Etc.

I'd just do a all inclusive beach for better room, better entertainment and food options, better everything.

2 hours ago, Julia’s Journey’s said:

I just hate Delta. The have pretty much always changed our flights to something either really horrible or totally impossible and then I have to hassle with them to get it fixed. They boggle the mind. They changed a Sacramento to Seattle to Fairbanks flight into a Sacramento to LAX to Minneapolis/St. Paul to Fairbanks flight. No freaking way. On a recent flight my departure would have been 10 minutes earlier so they changed my flight to something later and the second leg was leaving before the first leg arrived. Really?  I had to hassle with them and get the original schedule back. I had zero issue with leaving 10 minutes earlier.

On 5/23/2020 at 12:27 PM, Thrak said:

We actually don’t cruise all that often since we are one state above you. Left California for Oregon over a year ago. We do highly recommend east to west Panama cruises. Get the long flight out of the way early

On 5/23/2020 at 3:06 PM, Thrak said:

We did that itinerary on the Grand 10 years ago.  Yes, it was a lot of ports, but while we'd been to most of the ports, we still enjoyed it.  No doubt because the second time around we sailed with a couple whom we befriended on one of our TAs and another one of their couple friends.

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

I just hate Delta. The have pretty much always changed our flights to something either really horrible or totally impossible and then I have to hassle with them to get it fixed. They boggle the mind. They changed a Sacramento to Seattle to Fairbanks flight into a Sacramento to LAX to Minneapolis/St. Paul to Fairbanks flight. No freaking way. On a recent flight my departure would have been 10 minutes earlier so they changed my flight to something later and the second leg was leaving before the first leg arrived. Really?  I had to hassle with them and get the original schedule back. I had zero issue with leaving 10 minutes earlier.

7 hours ago, Julia’s Journey’s said:

Being in Detroit, we don't have much of a choice as Delta is the dominant airline here.  Hasn't been too bad for us and only once or twice have we had to stop in Atlanta--think it must have been when flying to Rome.  To/from London and Amsterdam we can get non-stops on Delta.

Edited by BarbinMich

1 hour ago, BarbinMich said:

To/from London and Amsterdam we can get non-stops on Delta.

We've only flown to London once (so far) and we flew Virgin Atlantic. Even in Coach we got free beer, wine, and liquor. The meals were pretty good as well. The seats were actually pretty good and the legroom wasn't bad.

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

We've only flown to London once (so far) and we flew Virgin Atlantic. Even in Coach we got free beer, wine, and liquor. The meals were pretty good as well. The seats were actually pretty good and the legroom wasn't bad.

Had a disastrous package booked on Virgin Atlantic Many years ago, they offered us 50% off our next trip and even with that I will most probably never use them again. 
It amazes me that to fly from Atlanta on delta to Johannesburg is more than double what it costs from Miami or Dulles on delta through Atlanta to Johannesburg and makes me angry everytime😳😳😳

14 hours ago, memoak said:

We do highly recommend east to west Panama cruises. Get the long flight out of the way early

You made me chuckle. 😊  DW is uncomfortable flying and she frets for days before we board a plane.  It was for that reason last year, we parked our car in FLL and flew to LAX and took Coral west to east through Panama Canal.  We disembarked in Port Everglades and got in our car and drove home.  DW got her fretting out of the way before the cruise so she was able to be care free for the length of the cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

You made me chuckle. 😊  DW is uncomfortable flying and she frets for days before we board a plane.  It was for that reason last year, we parked our car in FLL and flew to LAX and took Coral west to east through Panama Canal.  We disembarked in Port Everglades and got in our car and drove home.  DW got her fretting out of the way before the cruise so she was able to be care free for the length of the cruise.

That could be a fun B2B too if you could stay on the ship or spend a couple of days in CA and get another ship back.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, memoak said:

We actually don’t cruise all that often since we are one state above you. Left California for Oregon over a year ago. We do highly recommend east to west Panama cruises. Get the long flight out of the way early

Correction I should have said we do not sail that much from the east coast since we live on the west coast

16 hours ago, Julia’s Journey’s said:

It amazes me that to fly from Atlanta on delta to Johannesburg is more than double what it costs from Miami or Dulles on delta through Atlanta to Johannesburg and makes me angry everytime😳😳😳

Lots of flights are that way. I remember once booking from Edinburgh to NYC was less expensive than London to NYC even though when starting in Edinburgh you had to connect in London for the NYC flight.

It was based on direct air miles from Edinburgh to NYC which is less air miles than London to NYC.

I once had a co-worker who had a flight from Houston to Pittsburgh to Charleston (WV). Because of fog, the flight from Pittsburgh to Charleston was cancelled and he rented a car to get home. He requested a refund for the Pittsburgh to Charleston flight that did not occur. The airline refused, saying that since Pittsburgh was further away from Houston than Charleston, he actually flew more miles than he had paid for even though he did not get to his destination.

14 hours ago, caribill said:

Lots of flights are that way. I remember once booking from Edinburgh to NYC was less expensive than London to NYC even though when starting in Edinburgh you had to connect in London for the NYC flight.

It was based on direct air miles from Edinburgh to NYC which is less air miles than London to NYC.

I once had a co-worker who had a flight from Houston to Pittsburgh to Charleston (WV). Because of fog, the flight from Pittsburgh to Charleston was cancelled and he rented a car to get home. He requested a refund for the Pittsburgh to Charleston flight that did not occur. The airline refused, saying that since Pittsburgh was further away from Houston than Charleston, he actually flew more miles than he had paid for even though he did not get to his destination.

It’s crazy but more than double the price is just highway robbery 😳

On 5/18/2020 at 8:35 AM, PrincessLuver said:

I agree...it really seems like many on CC only know how to vacation on a cruise ship and really no other way and they just cannot imagine life with out being on a cruise ship....I love choices to make life interesting.

Ummm...it is after all "CRUISE" Critic, not All Inclusive Critic, or Winnebago Critic, or Motel Critic, etc..., so it stands to reason that a majority would skew towards cruises. Logically thinking, at any rate.

• Like 4