Norwegian Border Closure Extended

lovestx

Our son and his fiance are booked on a Viking Ocean cruise on July 12 from London to Bergen.  I am just now reading that Norway has extended its border closings for international travel until mid-August.  We have been expecting Viking to cancel this cruise and would prefer to wait until they cancel so that we can get our money back.

I know no one has a crystal ball, but would you think that Viking will cancel cruises whose itinerary includes multiple Norwegian ports?  Or will they simply re route elsewhere?

I would just recommend sitting tight for now. If the Norwegian borders are closed I feel certain Viking will cancel. If you hold off until they cancel your options will be much better. 

• Like 2

Read this morning that the Norwegian Govt is proposing a new law closing the border to all foreign citizens other than diplomats, truck drivers and fishermen until 1st January 2021.

• Like 1

Was gonna wait for Viking to cancel my In the Wake of the Vikings cruise this August departing from Bergen with pre is Oslo Norway but instead flipped it ahead one year when they opened up that option because I was afraid of possibly getting shut out.  No 125% for me!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emairs said:

We’re waiting for our July 6 cruise from Bergen to Reykjavík to be cancelled. Wish they would hurry up, so we can cancel flights, hotels etc.

Can't imagine what they're waiting for.

For the July 6, 2020 cruise from Bergen to Reykjavik Viking could shorten the section in Norway (perhaps exploring the fjords while staying on the ship for a couple of days), and spend more time in and around Iceland.  We would be fine with that, but others may not.

16 minutes ago, czrunner said:

For the July 6, 2020 cruise from Bergen to Reykjavik Viking could shorten the section in Norway (perhaps exploring the fjords while staying on the ship for a couple of days), and spend more time in and around Iceland.  We would be fine with that, but others may not.

We still would have to board the ship in Bergen.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Read this morning that the Norwegian Govt is proposing a new law closing the border to all foreign citizens other than diplomats, truck drivers and fishermen until 1st January 2021.

11 hours ago, philw1776 said:

Was gonna wait for Viking to cancel my In the Wake of the Vikings cruise this August departing from Bergen with pre is Oslo Norway but instead flipped it ahead one year when they opened up that option because I was afraid of possibly getting shut out.  No 125% for me!  

I was glad to see this.  We have been waffling about whether to book this so far out, but you are right, others will flip From 2020 to 2021.  So, we scrapped our Galapagos trip in August 2021, and transferred the down payment and insurance to Wake of the Vikings in 2021.  Got some good deals, don’t have to pay anything else until 6 months out, but did notice that business air with Viking has gotten quite expensive.  We have really been wanting to do this trip, so seems a safe distance out!

The access to Norway may expand at some point in the future as Norwegian Air Shuttle advances.  The financially troubled line has given control to its lenders, including Chinese and Irish leasing companies.

It is expected that long haul operations may be expanded as the airline seeks to find a profitable cruising altitude.

https://techxplore.com/news/2020-05-china-large-shareholder-norwegian-air.html

Really wish viking would call this considering the 50% deadline is coming up soon! On the same trip, I don't know why they are delaying pulling the trigger. It's somewhat aggravating. 

Edited by Jab843

4 hours ago, Jab843 said:

Really wish viking would call this considering the 50% deadline is coming up soon! On the same trip, I don't know why they are delaying pulling the trigger. It's somewhat aggravating. 

I know no one wants to even think about it BUT they could be looking at re-routing the Bergen itineraries -- which under the Terms and Conditions, is entirely their decision -- so let's not ignore the possibility. Forewarned is forearmed, etc. etc.

Hopefully they figure it out sooner rather than later -- and opt to cancel.

Icelandair emailed last week to advise cancellation of our flight to Bergen for our July 6 cruise. I phoned Viking  and mentioned that Norway is closed until August 20, and was told they do not have that information. The cruise is still showing as available for booking on their website.

Ridiculous!

8 minutes ago, emairs said:

Icelandair emailed last week to advise cancellation of our flight to Bergen for our July 6 cruise. I phoned Viking  and mentioned that Norway is closed until August 20, and was told they do not have that information. The cruise is still showing as available for booking on their website.

Ridiculous!

A lot depends on who you are talking to. All too often those who answer the phones only know what they are told and have no idea what is going on in the back offices or what the people who are making decisions for the company actually know.

Getting people in and out of Bergen is going to be a big problem for Viking.  If Bergen airport is closed to international traffic, as it seems to be, the only alternative will be Oslo (14 flights a day or the train). 

50 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Getting people in and out of Bergen is going to be a big problem for Viking.  If Bergen airport is closed to international traffic, as it seems to be, the only alternative will be Oslo (14 flights a day or the train). 

If Norway’s borders are closed, that would include Oslo, and the rest of the country.

3 hours ago, emairs said:

If Norway’s borders are closed, that would include Oslo, and the rest of the country.

No. It is not a blanket closure halting all travel in and out of the country but the borders are closed to leisure travelers, at least according to this article: https://www.lifeinnorway.net/norway-travel-restrictions-to-remain-in-place-over-summer/

Edited by Peregrina651

9 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

No. It is not a blanket closure halting all travel in and out of the country but the borders are closed to leisure travelers, at least according to this article: https://www.lifeinnorway.net/norway-travel-restrictions-to-remain-in-place-over-summer/

Yes, restrictions might be eased for Nordic countries and select European countries,  but North Americans will not be allowed into the country until late August.

Most Viking passengers on our July cruise are probably North Americans, and we will not be allowed into the country.

3 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

I've wondered if the reason Viking waits to cancel, even knowing they must, is to stagger the work load. Dealing with just amonth at a time...

Yes, except that the last round of cancellations, which was announced at the end of March, was for TWO months (May and June sailings). 

It would make more sense to me if they would cancel just a month at a time, or even a couple of weeks at a time, to reduce the workload of their agents - but they must have a reason for doing it the way they do!  Finances I guess.  

It's hard not knowing if we will travel or not, however soon it is... patience is needed. 🙂

I wonder if Viking is waiting until the Risk Free Guarantee May 31, 2020 deadline passes before cancelling the cruises.  I am considering starting a new booking for July 2021 before the deadline so that I will still have that protection and then take my refund for the 2020 cruise when they finally cancel it.