Cruise Critic Community
CaliforniaDon

Celebrity credit certificate came from Royal Caribbean

Posted (edited)

Two families, similar situation.  THEY got one certificate for both of them together from Celebrity at 100% - they cancelled a week before the 3/15 trip that Celebrity scuttled on 3/13.

We cancelled a bit later, but our certificates came one to each person and it came from RCCL (Royal Caribbean) and came up 7% under the 100%  with the statement "your credit is based on the penalty amount held on your cancelled reservation.  

Does anyone know why we got our certificate from Royal, when our travel buddies got theirs from Celebrity - and any reason Royal would be using "penalty amounts" on mid march trips?

Edited by CaliforniaDon
typo

AS far as it coming from Royal Caribbean, rather than Celebrity, that wouldn't surprise me too much.  Even before all this started, you'd occasionally see some administrative things show through to the underlying RCCL umbrella.  I'm assuming that even though it came from Royal Caribbean it's still clearly a certificate to be used on Celebrity?

As for the missing 7%, did they refer to it as a percentage, or is that simply what the dollar amount of the shortfall equaled?  If they specified a deduction of 7% I've no clue.  If it's a dollar amount, I'd suspect perhaps the $100.00 per person forfeited for a non-refundable deposit. 

I'm not entirely clear from what you wrote, but it sounds like you cancelled the cruise before Celebrity did, and thus would be entitled to a 100% future cruise credit; I don't believe they should have withheld the usual penalty for a non-refundable booking.  If Celebrity cancelled the cruise before you did, you would then be able to choose either a 100% refund (definitely no penalty for non-refundable booking) or a cash refund of taxes and fees, and a future cruise credit of 125% of the cruise fare. 

In your shoes I'd certainly give a call and try to get an explanation of the missing amount. 

Harris

Denver, CO

My refund and others on our cruise cancelled by Celebrity have been short of the total amount expected.  When I called they said there was $230.08 held in penalty in error.   They processed an additional credit and said 7-10 days but who knows.   Seems this is happening very often.   Almost seems like they hope nobody will notice.

Let’s be honest Celebrity’s administration/ICT can be quirky at the best of times. With understaffing and overload of work I am sure some errors will come through. 

As omeinv said, give them a call...

I understand errors, but not learning from them is beyond my understanding.   Holding money for penalty for cruises they cancelled??

Posted (edited)

Both of our FCCs came from a noreply@rccl email.  It is my understanding that a centralized RCCL group is processing the FCCs for all of Royals cruise lines.  
as long as it is the correct booking ID on the certificate I won’t wry about it.  Now the amount short I would get resolved. 

BTW our FCCs were the correct amount.correct.

Edited by jelayne

Followup, so far.

I called Celebrity to see why there was a lower amount on the certificate than the 100% of our fare.  Day one, I gave the "hold time" an hour and gave up.  Day 2, I got a representative after 45 minutes.  The answer was "I don't have the foggiest idea". That was the answer, not what she said.

She "checked with another agent" and then reported that the amount of our fare was NOT what we contracted for, and the bill showed a lower amount (not the lower amount that matched our cruise certificate) but a lower amount nevertheless.

She then blew me off to the travel agent, since finance issues are between the agent and Celebrity.  I hope this is not a CON, but I will send them an email.  The total amount sent to CELEBRITY on our credit card matches the fare that I thought I had paid, not the lower amount she said was on their books.

She could have just said she did not know what was wrong.

Fare on our booking confirmation, without tax (Tax WAS refunded to our credit card separately) $2269 pp. (per person)

This matches the credit card payments minus the taxes.

Amount of Certificate $2107 pp

Amount claimed to be the "fare" by the rep: $2069 pp.   Even then, not a match to 100%

On 5/18/2020 at 9:46 PM, wrk2cruise said:

held in penalty in error. 

What's this? 

10 hours ago, davekathy said:

What's this? 

No idea what the "system" thought the penalty was for.   I believe it was a NRD and I guess I'd understand if the amount was exactly $200 that they mistakenly took the $100 pp admin fee.   Only thing I can think of is the number is probably close to what my TA's commission is.