Just booked our first MSC cruise, on the Seaside (Yacht Club)

CineGraphic

We did YC on seaside last November and booked again for this November, we thought it was the best bargain on the sea, great service, was surprised on how good entertainment was in YC lounge , premium drink package is included but you can also upgrade to there premium plus which includes everything they sell on the ship by the glass including high end XO cognacs and twenty years plus scotch like Johnny Walker blue, also no issue with getting doubles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, capriccio said:

I was on the same cruise as rkacruiser and the port traffic was absolute chaos.  The Meraviglia was docked between a NCL and a Carnival ship and all 3 seemed to be still disembarking large numbers of passengers when we arrived around 10:45 am.  Taxis and shuttles were still picking up passengers and taking up all the curb spots.  We just parked in the garage and walked to the Yacht Club tent which took maybe 5 minutes - and even then the sidewalks were tricky to maneuver with disembarking and embarking passengers milling about.

I agree, port traffic there is insane.  But it is what it is.  That's why I provided the information that you need to stay in the right lane.  Just be patient.  I much prefer sailing out of Fort Lauderdale which is closer and where I can park at an excellent off port parking lot right outside the gate and then they deal with transport, but MSC doesn't sail from Fort Lauderdale.  And since MSC is building a new terminal in Miami, it seems to me they're pretty committed to Miami.

On 5/19/2020 at 11:03 AM, CineGraphic said:

We normally sail Princess, but we just booked a 7 day jaunt aboard the Seaside in November in case our October California Coastal aboard the Grand Princess is cancelled.

I've watched quite a bit of Youtube videos about the YC, so hopefully, I know what to expect, but I'd love to hear about any MSC-centric policies or quirks that may catch some first-timers off-guard, like not registering your credit card until you are on board. Thanks in advance!

If you sail, you will pleasantly surprised.  Enjoy.

12 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I agree, port traffic there is insane.  But it is what it is.  That's why I provided the information that you need to stay in the right lane.  Just be patient.  I much prefer sailing out of Fort Lauderdale which is closer and where I can park at an excellent off port parking lot right outside the gate and then they deal with transport, but MSC doesn't sail from Fort Lauderdale.  And since MSC is building a new terminal in Miami, it seems to me they're pretty committed to Miami.

I agree with all of your points. Unfortunately it was impossible to get into the right lane when we entered the port 🙁.  I've never seen traffic like that!  Port Everglades is only 12 miles from our home so that is our preferred port.  In fact this was our first cruise out of Miami.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

There is a separate lane to pull up to the YC tent.  You need to be on the right side of the road (as opposed to the middle or left side).

As I found out!

19 hours ago, capriccio said:

I was on the same cruise as rkacruiser and the port traffic was absolute chaos.  The Meraviglia was docked between a NCL and a Carnival ship and all 3 seemed to be still disembarking large numbers of passengers when we arrived around 10:45 am.  Taxis and shuttles were still picking up passengers and taking up all the curb spots.

I arrived at about the same time as capriccio.  There was a mixing of disembarking/embarking guests in that area that I have never experienced.  

Once arriving in the Port, the appropriate signage was non-existent.  Only because I knew that the MSC Terminal was F and near the west end of the port was I able to have some idea of where I needed to be.  In retrospect, I think it would have been easier--surely not quicker--to drive to the very end of Dodge Island, get in the right hand lane going West along the piers to arrive at Terminal F rather than going the way I did.

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

And since MSC is building a new terminal in Miami, it seems to me they're pretty committed to Miami.

If my information is correct, this new terminal will be at the extreme East end of Dodge Island.  That might be a better location in order to avoid the congestion that takes place West along that street.  

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

Unfortunately it was impossible to get into the right lane when we entered the port

This was my experience.  I "inched" my car from one lane to another to another (thanks to drivers in those lanes that allowed me to do so) in order to get to the right hand lane.  Made it just before the YC Tent, but there was no place to stop without blocking traffic behind me and the police directing traffic at that location wasn't allowing such.

On 5/20/2020 at 10:01 AM, Até said:

So the booking agents can only select one Pax Type and it will only state "Military USA" but if you are a VC member it will be calculated as 5% off the base fare then an additional 5% or 10% off of that

Except the most coveted Royal Suite. Just 5%.

On 5/20/2020 at 11:35 AM, Beardface said:

If you know you are going to go, book now, and then just push out your sail date to when they are actually back.

Personally, I'm waiting for 2 things before I book.

1 - Ships to actually sail, so I don't begin my countdown too early only to be disappointed

2 - Prices to fall once lines realize the demand has sharply fallen for tourism & travel coming out of this

Dear BF, You are just too nice !

On 5/20/2020 at 3:01 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

For example, we agreed that the Pringles and the chocolate-covered peanuts did not need to be stored in the mini bar 😄 and they were kept on top of the counter instead.

More room?

On 5/20/2020 at 4:17 PM, Beardface said:

It was also nice having our bags ready before muster.  Allowed us plenty of time to get settled in before we left.

Another added feature I have only found on MSC. If you for any reason do not 'feel' up to attending muster station with the crowds for an hour, you can attend a second mandatory muster the following day around 10 am, much less hassle, and crowd.

20 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

If my information is correct, this new terminal will be at the extreme East end of Dodge Island.  That might be a better location in order to avoid the congestion that takes place West along that street.  

This was my experience.  I "inched" my car from one lane to another to another (thanks to drivers in those lanes that allowed me to do so) in order to get to the right hand lane.  Made it just before the YC Tent, but there was no place to stop without blocking traffic behind me and the police directing traffic at that location wasn't allowing such.

The problem you all have with getting to the YC tent, is you all are afraid to pull into the lot in front of the terminal where the buses park, if they are there. But you do not know to turn into the lot entrance until you pass it, and then belatedly come upon the YC tent. I had to yell at my driver to turn right into the lot, it is only wide enough for a 'bus,' before he got to the tent. Once in the lot I told him to drive right up to the tent, park and unload DW 8 bags. (My tux  and clothes were packed in my nap sack on my back). YC has its advantages. And I take advantage of every one of them (and tip cash profusely to assuage any 'ruffled feathers'.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

Sorry, but not everyone travels with carry on luggage, or just the clothes on their backs, unless they are not in YC. Though on second thought, I have seen the same shorts and flowered shirts at dinner.

No need to be sorry.  We were in the Yacht Club and dressed very nicely each day and still managed to do so with 1 carry-on and 2 suitcases.  The entire intent of my post was to say that it may be very difficult to get to the YC tent by car but it isn't a long walk from the garage.  Of course that is assuming you aren't traveling with every piece of clothing you own for what was, in our case, a 7 day cruise.

52 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

The problem you all have with getting to the YC tent, is you all are afraid to pull into the lot in front of the terminal where the buses park, if they are there. But you do not know to turn into the lot entrance until you pass it, and then belatedly come upon the YC tent. I had to yell at my driver to turn right into the lot, it is only wide enough for a 'bus,' before he got to the tent. Once in the lot I told him to drive right up to the tent, park and unload DW 8 bags. (My tux  and clothes were packed in my nap sack on my back). YC has its advantages. And I take advantage of every one of them (and tip cash profusely to assuage any 'ruffled feathers'.

Your comment about that lot entrance in from of the terminal is spot on.  I saw it just before I got to it (after finally getting into the right hand lane).  Had to make a quick decision as to what to do.  Police were insisting that traffic keep moving; stopped and tried to express to an officer what I wanted to do just before the entrance; was told in no uncertain terms:  KEEP MOVING!  

48 minutes ago, capriccio said:

it may be very difficult to get to the YC tent by car but it isn't a long walk from the garage.  

True.  Having to navigate through the crowds of disembarking guests, embarking guests, porters, and luggage sitting on the sidewalk blocking my pathway to the YC Tent, I had to walk out into the street at times, then hoping that some car/taxi didn't mow me down.  It was a terrible embarkation experience! 

Just now, rkacruiser said:

Your comment about that lot entrance in from of the terminal is spot on.  I saw it just before I got to it (after finally getting into the right hand lane).  Had to make a quick decision as to what to do.  Police were insisting that traffic keep moving; stopped and tried to express to an officer what I wanted to do just before the entrance; was told in no uncertain terms:  KEEP MOVING!  

Of course!  There are no police stationed at the entrance. Only at the exit, drop off point. 500 feet before is the obscure, not advertised entrance to the terminal. You have to be astute and willing to make split second decisions. Fortunately, no one takes advantage and they wonder why they have such a hard time, in life. Here I am giving the secrets to the less endowed officious cavilers.

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

Of course that is assuming you aren't traveling with every piece of clothing you own for what was, in our case, a 7 day cruise.

DW had to build a house to handle the clothes she has. I wish they would fit in 8 bags. My clothes are relegated to the guest house.

On 5/20/2020 at 3:15 AM, WH_Cruise said:

Why anyone is booking a cruise right now, especially with an organisation with holding refunds for up to 2 years is either stupid or has money to burn.

Stupid comment. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2020 at 9:01 AM, Até said:

The Military Discount Terms & Conditions on the new US website now states "Not combinable with MSC Voyagers Club Discount", but in reality that has never been the case.   MSC has always had confusing verbiage regarding this but in reality Military and Civil Service employees get an extra 5% off inside and ocean view cabins and an extra 10% off balcony and above cabins, above the Voyagers Club 5% discount if you are a VC member.  The confusion comes from the fact that booking agents can only put in one category discount entry into the "Pax Type" discount field on the booking - they cannot enter both Voyagers Club 5% and Military USA, they have to choose only one.  So MSC have it set so the Military discount will include they Voyagers Club discount automatically, I assume only if you are a VC member.  I've always been a VC member and have never had reason to try booking specifically w/o my Voyagers discount so not sure if that can even be done.  So the booking agents can only select one Pax Type and it will only state "Military USA" but if you are a VC member it will be calculated as 5% off the base fare then an additional 5% or 10% off of that.  I've had multiple bookings using this and it has always been calculated 5% off then either 5% or 10% off additionally.  On the booking confirmation it does not show the normal "Voyagers 5%" anywhere but the VC discount has always been applied first in the fare calculation.

Don't forget that active and retired teachers get the same discount as military/civil service. 

1 hour ago, Couple-Somerset said:

First time Yacht Club cruisers - be sure to ask if you can view one of the cabins on Deck 17.

Why do I have a funny feeling that someone has seen every one of the "Carry On" movies?

Lol