Cruise Critic Community
USC Adventurer

CANCELED CHRISTMAS MARKET CRUISE

i really was looking forward to my second river cruise with crystal.  their danube cruise in december from budapest to vienna really excited me very much and i booked it over a year ago.  however, i just canceled the cruise for a few reasons.

flying from phoenix to london to budapest really didn't feel good to me.  then staying in a budapest hotel for three nights before the cruise didn't feel good to me.  then, being on a river ship with people from all over the world didn't feel good to me at this time.  and visiting christmas markets with hundreds of people mingling through the markets didn't feel good to me.  this just wasn't the time for me to take this journey this year.  crystal was wonderful about giving me a refund or transferring money to a previously booked ocean cruise in 2022.  they didn't charge me any cancelation fees at all.  and i have some money left over in my account that i will use for another river cruise in the future.

now, british airways is another story,  unless they cancel my flights, i'm not entitled to a refund.  if i cancel my flights, i will get back any taxes and fees that i paid.  i really don't think they are going to cancel my flights in november and december,  but i'm not canceling my flights until the very last minute just in case british does decide to cancel.  any thoughts?

British Airways cancelled my flight from London to Istanbul scheduled for May 21.  My TA had to complete a form requesting a refund, which 

I received in about a week.

yes, once british airways cancels a flight, they are very good about giving refunds.  so i'll just have to wait to see if they cancel my flights from phoenix to london (nov 26th) and london to budapest and then vienna to london (dec 9th) and then london to phoenix (dec 9th).  hopefully they will but i'm not counting on it.

glad they treated you well.

I did the Danube Christmas Markets (with Crystal) in 2018 and LOVED it.

I get it!! I want to go back but I think December is too soon for me right now for all the reasons you list. And I am not even sure if the Christmas Markets are going to be the same given the situation. Will they still exist, will they be scaled back, etc...?

On 5/21/2020 at 2:57 PM, Coral said:

I did the Danube Christmas Markets (with Crystal) in 2018 and LOVED it.

I get it!! I want to go back but I think December is too soon for me right now for all the reasons you list. And I am not even sure if the Christmas Markets are going to be the same given the situation. Will they still exist, will they be scaled back, etc...?

I have reservations on an Avalon Christmas Market cruise in December with my sister and two friends; it will be their first river cruise.  I'm starting to think it may make sense to see if we an reschedule for the following year.  It's impossible at this point to know if there will be cruises in December and what the markets will be like, if they do have them.  We have refundable hotel reservations pre and post cruise, so we wouldn't lose any money.

We have an AMA Prague to Budapest trip booked for December-thinking seriously about moving my deposit to a 22  trip.  I think the Markets will not be the same this year and not sure i want to spend 10 hours on a Denver to Munich flight this year.  And despite the appearance that things are calming down the history of pandemic virus's doesnt make me comfortable that we willl be done with this thing for a bit yet.