Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
cruz_happy

Which ships will sail first?

Recommended Posts

On 5/22/2020 at 12:52 AM, PTAngel said:

Am I understanding correctly that ships will cruise from Florida first?  I am booked on the Oasis out of Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ on October 18.   The ports are Port Canaveral, Coco Cay, & Nassau.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that one.

 

I'm on the 8/30 Oasis and I do believe they'll cancel it. You might be okay in October though depending how things are going. Wish that RCL would cancel cruises more in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, exm said:

 

I'm on the 8/30 Oasis and I do believe they'll cancel it. You might be okay in October though depending how things are going. Wish that RCL would cancel cruises more in advance.

 

I really don't see them sending her up for just a month or so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Oasis is sitting in the ocean now, empty. Even one sailing out of New York is better than none.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tbh I'm surprised that it's now June and rcl is still not telling people ok here is our plan.

 

Carnival is long since out with ok we hope to start with these 8 ships august 1st. Cdc might have other plans but at least it's clear to pax. Rcl just seems to be rudderless. .. so to speak.

 

Rcl needs to step up soon with ok this is our plan on starting to sail so people know. I'm guessing it's to sell lift and shift and we might be still in the dark for a while longer, but they should come out with a plan imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Rcl just seems to be rudderless. .. so to speak.

Hard to aim at something where the horizon is so murky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

 

That just seems like an urban myth

I did not think it was possible to book a cruise that close to the cruise date

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, molsonschooner said:

I did not think it was possible to book a cruise that close to the cruise date

 

That's generally allowed. 

I've done a few around 36 hours out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, exm said:

The Oasis is sitting in the ocean now, empty. Even one sailing out of New York is better than none.

 

I get it, empty is bad. I just think they will avoid the NE until at least November. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, molsonschooner said:

I did not think it was possible to book a cruise that close to the cruise date

You can book a cruise generally up to noon the day prior to sailing (may vary by a couple hours either way).  What you can;t do is book iit at the pier like you used to be able to do.  Walk up sales stopped after 9/11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Tbh I'm surprised that it's now June and rcl is still not telling people ok here is our plan.

 

Carnival is long since out with ok we hope to start with these 8 ships august 1st. Cdc might have other plans but at least it's clear to pax. Rcl just seems to be rudderless. .. so to speak.

 

Rcl needs to step up soon with ok this is our plan on starting to sail so people know. I'm guessing it's to sell lift and shift and we might be still in the dark for a while longer, but they should come out with a plan imo. 

RCL Not guessing but going in the smallest incremental cancellation windows.  I think August is dicey right now so if it is still not green lit  Carnival won’t be any smarter than anybody else when it’s pushed back another month

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CanadaRob said:

RCL Not guessing but going in the smallest incremental cancellation windows.  I think August is dicey right now so if it is still not green lit  Carnival won’t be any smarter than anybody else when it’s pushed back another month

Oh I'm not saying carnival is any smarter, just saying I'm dying to know when cruises start and wish they would share more info with us. Hurry up august lol. I just want to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 8:22 PM, ZoeyVictoria said:

I believe it will be the Mariner, out of Port Canaveral.  There is less COVID-19 in that area than in South Florida, so hopefully a lesser chance of it being brought onboard by local cruisers.  The Mariner does short three and four night cruises to Nassau and Coco Cay.  Even if Nassau is not open to cruise ships, Coco Cay should be available.  The Harmony is scheduled to go to Coco Cay plus seven other ports during the rest of 2020 and I don’t believe some of those ports will be open.  I think the 3- and 4-night itineraries would be an easier trial period than the 7-nighters on Harmony, and the Mariner requires fewer crew members.  
 

I had (cancelled) bookings on the Mariner for June and July, and will try again in August because I believe it will be one of the first ships to sail.

We have Mariner booked end of August.  Keep getting ready to cancel it and having a hard time. We have 2 weeks before final payment if we want to just have our deposit as FCC.  Also thought of doing Lift & Sift as we got a great deal but then we'd have to cancel our other cruise next summer.

 

But....if it's a possibility that Mariner will start up by August that makes us go hmmm.....It's possible?  We could also pay off Mariner and then wait and see.  

 

Then again, right now even if cruises start, we have no way of getting there at the moment as Canadian / US borders are still closed. (Flights booked but doesn't matter if not running)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

We have Mariner booked end of August.  Keep getting ready to cancel it and having a hard time. We have 2 weeks before final payment if we want to just have our deposit as FCC.  Also thought of doing Lift & Sift as we got a great deal but then we'd have to cancel our other cruise next summer.

 

But....if it's a possibility that Mariner will start up by August that makes us go hmmm.....It's possible?  We could also pay off Mariner and then wait and see.  

 

Then again, right now even if cruises start, we have no way of getting there at the moment as Canadian / US borders are still closed. (Flights booked but doesn't matter if not running)


I have the Independence booked for August 3 and again September 28.  The Mariner would be nine days after we return from the Indy and I had originally decided to cancel it if the Indy sailed, but now I think we would just go again so soon.  The September 28 Indy is backup in case the August 3 is cancelled; we will go on only one of them.  We are five points short of Diamond Plus and would really like to be there before the November Harmony; the Indy would make that possible.  The CWC and L&S have provided a lot of options.  I have spent a lot of time planning and arranging the cruises, which helped keep me busy during the otherwise gloomy stay at home time.  Anyway, our plans for the Mariner might work for you.  It is paid in full and first choice would be to actually take the cruise, but backup plan is to move the money to another cruise in December 2021.  We have selected the one we want and just need to make that move before August 1 to use the Cruise With Confidence option.  I am positive the next cancellations (or the plans to sail!) will be announced well before then.  I realize it is different for a party of two who are retired and live two hours from the port, though.  You have a tough situation, but the ability to cancel up to 48 hours before the cruise date might be a game changer for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:


I have the Independence booked for August 3 and again September 28.  The Mariner would be nine days after we return from the Indy and I had originally decided to cancel it if the Indy sailed, but now I think we would just go again so soon.  The September 28 Indy is backup in case the August 3 is cancelled; we will go on only one of them.  We are five points short of Diamond Plus and would really like to be there before the November Harmony; the Indy would make that possible.  The CWC and L&S have provided a lot of options.  I have spent a lot of time planning and arranging the cruises, which helped keep me busy during the otherwise gloomy stay at home time.  Anyway, our plans for the Mariner might work for you.  It is paid in full and first choice would be to actually take the cruise, but backup plan is to move the money to another cruise in December 2021.  We have selected the one we want and just need to make that move before August 1 to use the Cruise With Confidence option.  I am positive the next cancellations (or the plans to sail!) will be announced well before then.  I realize it is different for a party of two who are retired and live two hours from the port, though.  You have a tough situation, but the ability to cancel up to 48 hours before the cruise date might be a game changer for you.

You have a lot of backup options and plans made which is good. Hope cruising starts up in August so you can do Indy and then Mariner....and then be diamond for Harmony.

 

You are right. Royal is great with their options.

 

We were thinking of Lift & Sift Mariner for next August and then decide between 4 night Mariner or 5 night Freedom.  The only downside is Mariner is non-refundable and so we would probably be "forced" to select Mariner over Freedom (non-refundable) just for not losing the $400 (and not sure which one we actually prefer but 5 nights is better than 4). This assumes that CWC will be gone by next summer.

 

Or we could ride Mariner out and pay final payment.  We have flights booked (although would need to change the departure as the trip was currently bundled with Disney).  If the cruise is a go and the border opens, then we are good. Royal has the 48 hr policy for full refund.  Our only downside is...I think...you cannot bundle FCCs, right?  And if that's the case, we already have some....Anthem from this past March....small one from last August.....and if Anthem re-book in Dec is a no-go, there's another one in the equation....plus this Mariner if we or Royal cancels.  We do have a few cruises booked up to Mar 2022 but if can't bundle, then would be out money as couldn't apply them all.

 

Just wish we knew what ships and when.  That would make all this easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

You have a lot of backup options and plans made which is good. Hope cruising starts up in August so you can do Indy and then Mariner....and then be diamond for Harmony.

 

You are right. Royal is great with their options.

 

We were thinking of Lift & Sift Mariner for next August and then decide between 4 night Mariner or 5 night Freedom.  The only downside is Mariner is non-refundable and so we would probably be "forced" to select Mariner over Freedom (non-refundable) just for not losing the $400 (and not sure which one we actually prefer but 5 nights is better than 4). This assumes that CWC will be gone by next summer.

 

Or we could ride Mariner out and pay final payment.  We have flights booked (although would need to change the departure as the trip was currently bundled with Disney).  If the cruise is a go and the border opens, then we are good. Royal has the 48 hr policy for full refund.  Our only downside is...I think...you cannot bundle FCCs, right?  And if that's the case, we already have some....Anthem from this past March....small one from last August.....and if Anthem re-book in Dec is a no-go, there's another one in the equation....plus this Mariner if we or Royal cancels.  We do have a few cruises booked up to Mar 2022 but if can't bundle, then would be out money as couldn't apply them all.

 

Just wish we knew what ships and when.  That would make all this easier.


I don’t think you can lose a NRD on any cruise booked prior to August 1. If you already have too many FCCs that might not be an option, but you could move the deposits to a new cruise.  One of the nicer parts of CWC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

We have Mariner booked end of August.  Keep getting ready to cancel it and having a hard time. We have 2 weeks before final payment if we want to just have our deposit as FCC.  Also thought of doing Lift & Sift as we got a great deal but then we'd have to cancel our other cruise next summer.

 

But....if it's a possibility that Mariner will start up by August that makes us go hmmm.....It's possible?  We could also pay off Mariner and then wait and see.  

 

Then again, right now even if cruises start, we have no way of getting there at the moment as Canadian / US borders are still closed. (Flights booked but doesn't matter if not running)

We also have the Mariner booked for late August but ours is no bargain price.  I have gone back and forth about cancelling but just went ahead and made final payment and will keep it only because we have the $18 drink package and OBC that we would lose .  At least now with the CWC and Best Price guarantee we won't lose any money if we decide to cancel and if it does sail and the price drops we can get that as OBC.  If you look at the August Mariner pricing there are certainly no bargains

Edited by molly361

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Royal has the 48 hr policy for full refund. 

It does?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

It does?

My mistake.  48 hr for 100% FCC .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, molly361 said:

We also have the Mariner booked for late August but ours is no bargain price.  I have gone back and forth about cancelling but just went ahead and made final payment and will keep it only because we have the $18 drink package and OBC that we would move.  At least now with the CWC and Best Price guarantee we won't lose any money if we decide to cancel and if it does sail and the price drops we can get that as OBC.  If you look at the August Mariner pricing there are certainly no bargains

We only got a good price since we could apply Kids Sale Free for our daughter awhile back.  I actually think Royal made a mistake including our cruise as KSF as eventually they stopped including it.  The cruise is Aug 31st and with an extra week of summer this year, I think Royal system didn't realize (some) kids are still out of school.  

 

We also have the $18 drink package...another reason its hard to straight out cancel...but that one wouldn't carry over with L&S.

Good you can move over the OBC. Sounds like you were going through the same dilemma. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LuCruise said:

We only got a good price since we could apply Kids Sale Free for our daughter awhile back.  I actually think Royal made a mistake including our cruise as KSF as eventually they stopped including it.  The cruise is Aug 31st and with an extra week of summer this year, I think Royal system didn't realize (some) kids are still out of school.  

 

We also have the $18 drink package...another reason its hard to straight out cancel...but that one wouldn't carry over with L&S.

Good you can move over the OBC. Sounds like you were going through the same dilemma. 

Sorry I meant I would LOSE the OBC if I cancel.  Ours is August 24.  If they cancel I would lose the drink package but can them move the OBC to a different sailing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Sorry I meant I would LOSE the OBC if I cancel.  Ours is August 24.  If they cancel I would lose the drink package but can them move the OBC to a different sailing.  

Got it...If they cancel then 125% FCC and OBC

 

Makes sense then to ride it out if you can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...