Over 200 Disney Crew Members test Positive for Coronavirus

Stockjock

25 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Since they are quoting a somewhat questionable site:  "As per Cruise Law News, "

I'll reserve judgement on the article.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ano said:

Trust the Miami Herald?

Miami Herald Article

I can't read it - I'm not going to subscribe.

But I did find this:

- "At least 255 people on board the Disney Wonder have tested positive for COVID-19 since March 1, the CDC said, making it among the largest known cruise ship outbreaks."

- "The last positive COVID-19 case on board was on May 8, according to the company. The ship has fewer than 300 crew on board."

Now, there were a lot of people who tested positive that had been on the Wonder for her last two cruises.  Many of them tested positive after they got off.  

There have been no positive cases onboard the Wonder since May 8th.  

Edited by Shmoo here

I don't subscribe either. Maybe a different browser....

A man who worked as a painter aboard the Disney Wonder died Tuesday.

Eddie Burgos Ragodon of the Philippines had visited the ship’s medical center in recent days with chills, according to a colleague who requested anonymity for fear of retaliation. The ship is traveling around the Caribbean to repatriate crew members who have been stuck on board since the industry shut down in March. 

Disney Cruise Line will test Ragodon for COVID-19, said the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention via email.
“We are saddened by yesterday’s passing of our longtime Crew Member, and we are mourning along with his family,” said company spokesperson Kim Prunty in an email.

At least 255 people on board the Disney Wonder have tested positive for COVID-19 since March 1, the CDC said, making it among the largest known cruise ship outbreaks. 

The ship has a “provisionally green” status from the CDC, meaning there have not been any crew members showing COVID-19-like illnesses for 28 days. The last positive COVID-19 case on board was on May 8, according to the company. The ship has fewer than 300 crew on board.

The Miami Herald investigated COVID-19 outbreaks on cruise ships. Explore the findings of the most comprehensive tracking system of coronavirus cases linked to the cruise industry. 

Colleagues say Ragodon had many friends on board the ship and was always smiling. He worked on the Disney Magic ship based in PortMiami from December 2019 until early March 2020 when he transferred to the Wonder, according to his Facebook. His wife and children live in Las Piñas, Philippines. They could not be reached for this story.

The Disney Wonder docked in San Diego on March 19 to offload its last passengers after the industry shut down on March 13. Several passengers and crew members tested positive for COVID-19 and had to be hospitalized. Ragodon continued to work as part of the essential crew while others were isolated in their cabins. 

In early May, Disney Cruise Line tested all crew on board using PCR tests after crew were isolated in their cabins for several weeks. The majority of crew who tested positive in May were asymptomatic, according to the company.
On June 13, Ragodon shared photos on Facebook of other Filipino crew members leaving the ship in Barbados to fly home. “Me...i will stay on board until ????” he wrote.

On Sunday he shared a Father’s Day message. His kids replied, asking him to be safe.

Since the pandemic began, a Miami Herald investigation has found that at least 16 crew members have died of COVID-19, including several in South Florida hospitals. Several others have died from apparent suicides while awaiting repatriation. At least 28,000 cruise workers are still waiting to go home, including 350 on Disney’s four ships.

Jamaica, Dominica, St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Belize in Central America have all reported positive COVID-19 infections among repatriated workers in recent weeks.

Source: Miami Herald June 24th, 2020

Edited by ano

On 6/26/2020 at 10:50 PM, Shmoo here said:

I can't read it - I'm not going to subscribe.

But I did find this:

- "At least 255 people on board the Disney Wonder have tested positive for COVID-19 since March 1, the CDC said, making it among the largest known cruise ship outbreaks."

- "The last positive COVID-19 case on board was on May 8, according to the company. The ship has fewer than 300 crew on board."

Now, there were a lot of people who tested positive that had been on the Wonder for her last two cruises.  Many of them tested positive after they got off.  

There have been no positive cases onboard the Wonder since May 8th.  

That "since March 1" makes it sound worse than it was. I was on the WBPC that ended up in San Diego on March 19. At that time there was only one suspected case on board.  The majority of the cases occurred after the ship went into quarantine. All passengers that tested positive were post-cruise. Who knows where they contracted it?

Edited by gometros

On 6/29/2020 at 6:26 AM, gometros said:

That "since March 1" makes it sound worse than it was. I was on the WBPC that ended up in San Diego on March 19. At that time there was only one suspected case on board.  The majority of the cases occurred after the ship went into quarantine. All passengers that tested positive were post-cruise. Who knows where they contracted it?

EXACTLY! The Miami Herald also participated in a TV documentary from the UK called Billion Pound Cruises - All At Sea, where they made a distinct effort to paint the cruise industry as one of the primary sources of Covid-19 being spread around the world. The show barely touched on the fact that most of the cruises that were going on prior to the international lock down of the cruise industry had originated from ports that were NOT affected at the early stages of the virus, Nor did they go into much detail over the facts that all the cruise lines that were operating at the time were doing so under the guidance of several international government and industry organisations and when the shut down did happen none of the cruise lines violated any of the rules on the shut down. They continue to insinuate that the Cruise industry was willfully and forcefully sailing willy nilly with guests just to earn money. When in fact all the cruise lines shut down and were one of the first industries to do so at the beginning of the pandemic. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
The Wonder was mentioned in the CDC no sail order a number of times. Here is an excerpt from the CDC:

"These outbreaks have continued in crew members on ships like the Disney Wonder, on which a COVID-19 outbreak spanned 10 weeks and included 229 confirmed and 43 COVID-like illness cases among crew"

"In describing what factors may have led to the magnitude and duration of this outbreak, DCL noted that numerous crew members who subsequently tested positive for COVID-19 were asymptomatic and that some of these crew members served as essential crew and were not quarantined in their rooms until the results of ship-wide testing were received"