Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
richwmn

The Daily for Friday May 22, 2020

today is Buy a Musical Instrument Day and National Maritime Day

One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

Meal suggestion for today - Carrot & tomato soup

At Sea Atlantic Ocean
Veendam destination Cape Town eta 5/23
Zuiderdam destination Cape Town eta 5/24

At Sea Indian Ocean
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Jakarta eta 5/28
Volendam destination Port Louis Mauritius eta 5/23

At Sea Pacific Ocean
Maasdam destination Labuan Malaysia eta 5/27
Noordam destination Manila 5/23
Westerdam destination Singapore eta 5/24

Cape Town Anchorage
Rotterdam

La Paz Anchorage
Oosterdam

Manila Anchorage
Amsterdam
Eurodam

Puerto Vallarta
Koningsdam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Zaandam

Good morning Rich.  Thank you for the daily report.  Today is buy a Musical Instrument Day and National Maritime Day.  We don't play any instruments, so that won't work.  Maritime day....yes thankful for all of them.  Love tomato soup but don't think I'd add carrots.  Have a great day everyone.

Thanks for the Daily, Rich 🙂 

Love the Maritime Day and your observations on egoists. 

for once it will be too warm for soup so I’ll have to concoct something else.

Good morning.

Thank you for the Daily Report.

Interesting observation about egotists, they're not gossips.😉

Soup for dinner - maybe?

Hope you have a wonderful day.  Stay healthy.

Thank you Rich for the Daily report.

I'll pass on the musical instrument day. Maritime day sounds great.

I'll pass on the soup for dinner.  Got to think of something else.

The Rotterdam is happily alongside in CPT.   Scott. 

image.thumb.png.96fca7e2cc773819f97671d098c4338a.png

Good morning Rich, my sweet sisters, and Daily-ites.

Thank you for the Fleet report Rich. Tomato and carrot soup actually sounds good.

We went out to dinner with friends the last 2 nights. All the social distancing between tables was actually pleasant as you can have more quiet conversation. 

Hope everyone has a great day. Xx

Thanks Rich for the update. I don’t play any instruments but I wish I could be celebrating Maritime day on a DAM ship.

Posted (edited)

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We don't need any more musical instruments - 4 guitars and DH's latest acquisition, an accordion are enough for this household, thank you!  I make him go downstairs when he wants to play the accordion, as I'm not a fan.  LOL  

Re: the menu suggestion, it's really warm today, so we'll likely barbecue some pork chops and dilled potatoes for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!   Morning fellow Dailyites - hope all is well. Great to see you Joy! You & Denise have been so busy!

I used to play the guitar when I was a young lass, but a couple of arthritic fingers would hamper my style these days. Perhaps I could handle the Kazoo?

This is a great place to celebrate anything Maritime, though it would be better if we were on a cruise!

Summer seems to have officially arrived here, so not sure about soup for supper. I will have to see if there is a recipe for a chilled version. Tonight’s menu is currently Wild Pacific salmon & roasted veggies. I have become a fan of Makato’s ginger dressing as a dipping sauce for veggies, so I might include it in tonight’s meal.

Stay well everyone!

Rich:

Good morning and Happy Maritime Day.  Thank you for the DAILY.

1 hour ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Thank you for the information!

Thanks for the daily. It’s now the first thread I read. 😁

@ger_77 I’ll have to try dilled potatoes next time I make pork chops. Just got a large pack of pork at Costco for $2/lb. (Probably likely a huge supply before before little with the packing shutdown😢).

Love music but don’t play any instruments-  but I’m pretty good with an MP3 player.🤪

Happy Friday everyone!

Thank you for the report.  Rain here and my soup will be chicken noodle.  I had hoped to buy it from my local carryout but they aren't doing it until they are really up and running so it will be Panera.

I tried the piano half a life ago but it was a disaster.  Wishing all remaining stranded mariners a speedy reunion with their families.

Roy

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

an accordion

ohmigoodness 😄 😄  😄  

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

And wine.

You're gonna need it 😄 

Good morning, and thank you for the Daily, Rich.  Strangely enough DH will be having tomato soup for lunch.

I went to the grocery store early today and spent a lot of money.  More than double my usual bill.  Things seem to be going up in price all the time, although I tried to stick with stuff on sale.  

On another note, did you see the video on the Amsterdam thread from the crew?  Very touching.  

6 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We don't need any more musical instruments - 4 guitars and DH's latest acquisition, an accordion are enough for this household, thank you!  I make him go downstairs when he wants to play the accordion, as I'm not a fan.  LOL  

Re: the menu suggestion, it's really warm today, so we'll likely barbecue some pork chops and dilled potatoes for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

I think your dh and mine would get along. He has 3 guitars, a mandolin, a mountain dulcimer, a zither, and plays them all along with being pretty good on piano as well. He has been looking at a hurdy-gurdy, yes, I know, a hurdy-gurdy??! They are a touch pricey so maybe one day. I will invest is good noise cancelling headphones when he finally gets one. He would probably love an accordian. 😛

Thanks for the update Rich.

Tomato carrot soup sounds good. 

Today is dh's birthday so I spent all morning making the only thing he ever asks for for his birthday, a from scratch carrot cake with real cream cheese icing, a pretty easy and tasty gift. We will walk to our local taco joint tonight for street tacos and beer tonight. 

17 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

I think your dh and mine would get along. He has 3 guitars, a mandolin, a mountain dulcimer, a zither, and plays them all along with being pretty good on piano as well. He has been looking at a hurdy-gurdy, yes, I know, a hurdy-gurdy??! They are a touch pricey so maybe one day. I will invest is good noise cancelling headphones when he finally gets one. He would probably love an accordian. 😛

What, no bagpipes?

(Actually, I really love bagpipes.)

5 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

What, no bagpipes?

(Actually, I really love bagpipes.)

Shhhh... don't give him any ideas. I too love bagpipes and we have a friend who is a member of our local Pipe and Drum Corp here in Nashville. They are fantastic. But I also imagine a beginning piper in one's house might be a wee bit painful. The neighbors might think we are strangling a goose. 🎧

Thanks for the Daily, Rich. Yesterday, I said that our strawberries will be somewhat late due to the frost. Then last night, our local strawberrry grower announced that a limited supply of early strawberries (grown in the 'tunnel') were going to be sold today. I was order number 7! He apologized for the cost ($6 a quart), but they are soooooo good! I'll be heading back to the market Sunday or Monday for sure! I also picked up some rhubarb for rhubarb crisp. The farmer did say that they lost strawberry plants in the frost last week despite constant irrigation, and his current worry is having enough help to pick them when they finally are ready (mid-late June/early July). I treasure every locally grown food I buy!

10 hours ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Good to see this along with your map.  We were docked at that same spot in 2014.

1 hour ago, Dismomx5 said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich. Yesterday, I said that our strawberries will be somewhat late due to the frost. Then last night, our local strawberrry grower announced that a limited supply of early strawberries (grown in the 'tunnel') were going to be sold today. I was order number 7! He apologized for the cost ($6 a quart), but they are soooooo good! I'll be heading back to the market Sunday or Monday for sure! I also picked up some rhubarb for rhubarb crisp. The farmer did say that they lost strawberry plants in the frost last week despite constant irrigation, and his current worry is having enough help to pick them when they finally are ready (mid-late June/early July). I treasure every locally grown food I buy!

Sorry to hear that.  I sometimes watch the Port Huron ship web cam and know that it was below freezing there, too.

Our strawberries usually finish down here by the first week of May and they were plentiful this year and very reasonable as well.

Some years ago, the Ryndam was late leaving Tampa as it was waiting for a last minute shipment of berries.  I'm sure they were worth waiting for!

7 hours ago, VennDiagram said:

You're gonna need it  

There's a reason why I have an endless supply of Cardboardeaux in the house at all times!  LOL

3 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

I think your dh and mine would get along. He has 3 guitars, a mandolin, a mountain dulcimer, a zither, and plays them all along with being pretty good on piano as well. He has been looking at a hurdy-gurdy, yes, I know, a hurdy-gurdy??! They are a touch pricey so maybe one day. I will invest is good noise cancelling headphones when he finally gets one. He would probably love an accordian.

Wow, a hurdy gurdy?  Yes, I'm thinking a good set of noise cancelling earphones and a tall glass of your favourite beverage will help.  I didn't mention the 4 keyboards, the bongos , tambourine and autoharp that also inhabit our living quarters.  And he complains about my shoes . . . . .  Happy Birthday to your hubby!

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry