Would you cruise if Wearing a mask is mandatory?

Would you cruise if wearing a mask is Mandatory?  

711 members have voted

1. 1. Will you cruise if wearing a mask is mandatory?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

11 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

In Europe some counties are getting rid of the mandatory mask next month, because the cases of Carona are getting downright insignificant. So I am not sure if I would board a ship if wearing a mask is required!

If so- one has to pack some " Formal masks" , too. LOL

In places where social distancing cannot be kept, espcialy in public transportation, airplanes etc at least a recomendation will remain in place for the time being or even to remain mandatory.

Both DH and DS really don't like wearing masks.  I WFH now, so don't have to wear them too often either.  At this point we are most inclined to do trips that allow for enough social distancing that wearing masks is pretty rare.

On 5/29/2020 at 1:58 PM, cured said:

Thank you for the permission. 

Permission?????? That was a tad sarcastic, I never gave you permission for anything....free country, do as you please....but the snarky comments are a little nasty............

19 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Permission?????? That was a tad sarcastic, I never gave you permission for anything....free country, do as you please....but the snarky comments are a little nasty............

By omitting the rest of my post, it takes things out of context.

As I mentioned, have a GREAT cruise!  I am sure it will be fantastic.

We are choosing not to cruise as long as masks are required which would mean there is not herd immunity due to a vaccine.  Isn't it great that there is a perfect solution for everyone?

image.png.b9fe4e435821f893ed02c7251299c831.png

image.png.e93c001db4173380c5b7e22cdcf1fb52.png

image.png.2aca5b959a72b7434198360c6dc7ea8c.png

Edited by cured

My husband and I are vehemently opposed to wearing masks.  We worked through the entire shut down, with the public, NO ONE wore masks and NO ONE got sick.  I don't know why there were hot spots for the virus, but we had 7 deaths in our state.  To demand everyone to wear a mask is unnecessary and proven more detrimental to your health.  If you must or just want to wear a mask, no one is stopping you.  But it should not and eventually (hopefully very soon) will not be mandated.  It cannot be sustained as the "new normal".  Yes, it would most definitely be a deal breaker for us.  We will not pay for a cruise and be required to wear a mask at any time.  It's a sad state of affairs because we love to cruise.  We will find other ways to vacation without a mask, or wait for this insanity to pass.  Probably will by at least this November.

22 minutes ago, Wyomingred said:

My husband and I are vehemently opposed to wearing masks.  We worked through the entire shut down, with the public, NO ONE wore masks and NO ONE got sick.  I don't know why there were hot spots for the virus, but we had 7 deaths in our state.  To demand everyone to wear a mask is unnecessary and proven more detrimental to your health.  If you must or just want to wear a mask, no one is stopping you.  But it should not and eventually (hopefully very soon) will not be mandated.  It cannot be sustained as the "new normal".  Yes, it would most definitely be a deal breaker for us.  We will not pay for a cruise and be required to wear a mask at any time.  It's a sad state of affairs because we love to cruise.  We will find other ways to vacation without a mask, or wait for this insanity to pass.  Probably will by at least this November.

You must live in a very small town.......................try what you have been doing in a well populated area and then come back and say no one got sick.

Wyoming:

Total Population: 549,914

New Jersey        9.2 Million

Edited by Jimbo

I just turned Diamond on RC and am looking forward to cruising my way to Diamond Plus.  My next cruise is set for September.  If wearing a mask becomes a requirement I will cancel my cruise and cruising will become a thing of the past for me.  Period.

47 minutes ago, Wyomingred said:

I can see your point of view since you live in a county with very low cases.  Your exposure is very minimal compared to counties with much higher populations.  Your entire STATE has 1/3 the population of the COUNTY I live in here in CA.  So, my exposure is much higher than yours, and therefore we wear masks.  Wearing a mask, sheltering in place, etc. is not one-size-fits-all, but neither is it insanity.  It's just safety measures to avoid getting sick.

My son, his wife and our 2 grand-toddlers ages 2 and 4 live within 15 miles of one of the worst hotspots in the US in Wayne County, MI.  They are still sheltering at home, and are keeping their little ones out of day care, working by telehealth or occupying empty offices, and wearing masks.  They are at high risk from people coming in and out of their local area from Wayne County.

So, what works for you doesn't work for everyone, and makes a lot of sense for those of us who live in highly populated areas.

I'm sincerely glad to hear from someone who has weathered through this so easily, and I hope it stays that way for you.  🙂

Edited by pcur

After, watching tv for a week, I have decided that COVID19 is way over rated.  Try walking around any big city... social distancing is not happening.  Watch out for the burning trash cans, and large groups of people trying to terrorize other people.

I am so glad the governors shut everything down.  Nobody is working and now they have time to really be productive.  It is really awesome that we shut everything down to have this instead.  Great job USA you have outdone yourself again.  

JC

required palliative mask = no deal. i already delayed a colorado trip due to mask requirements. its near useless unless its n95.

NIOSH study--->Filter efficiency was measured across a wide range of small particle sizes (0.02 to 1 µm) at 33 and 99 L/min. N95 respirators had efficiencies greater than 95% (as expected). For the entire range of particles tested, t-shirts had 10% efficiency, scarves 10% to 20%, cloth masks 10% to 30%, sweatshirts 20% to 40%, and towels 40%. All of the cloth masks and materials had near zero efficiency at 0.3 µm, a particle size that easily penetrates into the lungs.

5 hours ago, Wyomingred said:

Actually Wyoming is now up to 16 deaths, 903 cases.  Fortunately for the state low population density and not that much international travel prior to the shutdown.  The areas that have gotten hit with the large outbreaks so far have been those with international travel hubs, and major population centers.  Takes a bit longer for it to work itself out to more rural areas.

56 minutes ago, cqpate said:

required palliative mask = no deal. i already delayed a colorado trip due to mask requirements. its near useless unless its n95.

NIOSH study--->Filter efficiency was measured across a wide range of small particle sizes (0.02 to 1 µm) at 33 and 99 L/min. N95 respirators had efficiencies greater than 95% (as expected). For the entire range of particles tested, t-shirts had 10% efficiency, scarves 10% to 20%, cloth masks 10% to 30%, sweatshirts 20% to 40%, and towels 40%. All of the cloth masks and materials had near zero efficiency at 0.3 µm, a particle size that easily penetrates into the lungs.

The purpose of masks (except for medical professionals wearing and using PPE with strict protocols) is not to protect the person wearing one.  It is to protect everyone else from a person that is either asymptomatic or has very minor symptoms and doesn't think that they are infected. The purpose of the mask is to disrupt air flow (slow it down) when that person is breathing, talking, coughing, sneezing or anything else that results in virus being expelled.  The mask greatly reduces the distance that any particles and the associated virus will travel, reducing the chance for anyone around that person to be infected. With over 50% of the cases being asymptomatic a number of people infect others without knowing that they even have it.

Do the following test.  Blow on your hand.  Now blow on your hand through a mask, or even a t-shirt.  Notice the reduction in velocity. That is what the mask is for to reduce the area of spread.

The people that are wearing masks are not wearing them for their own protection, it is for the protection of others around them.

still no deal, false protection. 'everybody wear a mask' assumes the asymptomatic is cranking out bigger droplet particles. i can't guarantee i will only breathe/talk/sneeze out droplet sizes as i wear a cheap mask. this test was aerosol size blowing thru the filter. aerosol size punch right thru, float in the room for hours and get sucked thru the next mask.  people can feel good about wearing a cheap mask but size gets in the way. since you cant see the size of particles,N(IOSH)95 is near guaranteed safety. i might try 2 cruises in next several months but I will cancel if forced into a palliative policy. i didnt fear going on the 'poop ship triumph' after it was cleaned up(no problems). wear a mask if you want but go big, n95. now you are protected from my droplets and aeosols in your lungs. since this thing mostly hits the old and immune compromised with few 'previously healthy' deaths, im willing to take my chances and keep life normal. 

NIOSH article...the most recent randomized controlled study51 combined with evidence of moderate filter efficiency and complete lack of facepiece fit lead us to conclude that surgical masks offer very low levels of protection for the wearer from aerosol inhalation. There may be some protection from droplets and liquids propelled directly onto the mask, but a faceshield would be a better choice if this is a concern. 

On 5/22/2020 at 2:38 PM, BirdTravels said:

Masks like those above are intended to prevent you from spreading your germs to others. They are not to protect you from the virus. So, they should not provide anyone with any sense of security; they are not there to protect them. 

If it keeps my germs to myself,  and you wear one, it keeps your germs to yourself..   that and some distance protects both of us.  common sense.

11 hours ago, Wyomingred said:

Said the person in the least populated state.

On 5/23/2020 at 10:38 AM, johnjen said:

I'm not against mask wearing, but I see potential for this being a legal disaster, HIPAA violations where someone asks for specific reasons they can't wear one, etc. There's this card floating around online, a vague attempt trying to make it appear official, when it isn't...and, if you catch the error in it, say what it is, LOL

mask rule.jpg

Some one presents that to me at my company I would suggest to them that they can go some where else.  We are a private business and distancing is impossible.  Masks are required to walk in the door.. You have a choice to not be there. 

There really is no need to debate this issue anymore. The issue will be resolved for us in the next two weeks by looking at the numbers in many of the most highly infected cities in the country.  If...after what we have seen in the streets, in the parks, in the looted shops...there is no related surge of COVID...then we can be reasonably certain that younger people, at the least, can go back to work, to church, to restaurants, etc...without social distancing, without fear of COVID.

That is, if there are any workplaces, churches and restaurants still standing where they live.

There really is no need to debate this issue anymore. The issue will be resolved for us in the next two weeks by looking at the numbers in many of the most highly infected cities in the country.  If...after what we have seen in the streets, in the parks, in the looted shops...there is no related surge of COVID...then we can be reasonably certain that younger people, at the least, can go back to work, to church, to restaurants, etc...without social distancing, without fear of COVID.

That is, if there are any workplaces, churches and restaurants still standing where they live.

I totally agree. If one good thing comes out of some of the tragedies that happened over the weekend it may be that we realize we no longer need to wear masks and can go back to normal.
7 hours ago, npcl said:

The purpose of the mask is to disrupt air flow (slow it down) when that person is breathing, talking, coughing, sneezing or anything else that results in virus being expelled.  

In other words.... if the person is living.

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Said the person in the least populated state.

Yes, we in the lesser populated states have seen less Covid. We are also seeing peaceful non violent demonstrations....the kind that inspire people to care for one another.

My older daughter drove thru her downtown area here in SC this weekend.  Some demonstrators of all skin hues were holding signs...and waving at people of all skin hues in their cars...who were honking horns and waving back. There has been no looting, no property destruction. She said there was just a nice feeling of a community standing together. ❤️

She visited a local restaurant...very popular and every allowed seat taken. People of all races together, happy to be out in public together again. Just nice friendly people out on a pretty day...

Edited by hazence
24 minutes ago, hazence said:

Yes, we in the lesser populated states have seen less Covid. We are also seeing peaceful non violent demonstrations....the kind that inspire people to care for one another.

My older daughter drove thru her downtown area here in SC this weekend.  Some demonstrators of all skin hues were holding signs...and waving at people of all skin hues in their cars...who were honking horns and waving back. There has been no looting, no property destruction. She said there was just a nice feeling of a community standing together. ❤️

She visited a local restaurant...very popular and every allowed seat taken. People of all races together, happy to be out in public together again. Just nice friendly people out on a pretty day...

Unfortunately there are violent protests in both highly populated and less populated areas.

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Unfortunately there are violent protests in both highly populated and less populated areas.

no.  Even the big city...largest in the state near me...has seen no violence or looting. Please stop generalizing. Read local newspapers.

Edited by hazence
19 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

No mask, no social distancing.  Just cruise!  If we can't do that, then no go.

I think that pretty much sums it up.  We can debate whether or not masks do or do not work all day long, but based on the survey above, if RCL or any cruise line for that matter requires masks, they will have a rough time getting people on board...