Cruise With Confidence and non refundable deposits

I think I may have misunderstood the CWC policy and made an error.  I always book refundable deposits, but only non refundable was available for a sailing on the Mariner on August 17.  I thought I had nothing to lose, so I booked this for only nine days after we would return from the August 3 Independence IF it sails.  I would hate to miss the Indy (in part because it was comped), but in the event that the next cancellation date is after August 3 but before August 17, we would still have a cruise.  If the Indy sails, I intended to move the deposit from the Mariner to a 2021 cruise.  Now, rereading the CWC policy, it looks like I would have to move that deposit before final payment date of June 3.  Is that correct?  We have joked about being so desperate for a cruise that we would go on both cruises if the opportunity arose, but it looks like that would really be the best choice if I did misunderstand about non refundable deposits.

3 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I think I may have misunderstood the CWC policy and made an error.  I always book refundable deposits, but only non refundable was available for a sailing on the Mariner on August 17.  I thought I had nothing to lose, so I booked this for only nine days after we would return from the August 3 Independence IF it sails.  I would hate to miss the Indy (in part because it was comped), but in the event that the next cancellation date is after August 3 but before August 17, we would still have a cruise.  If the Indy sails, I intended to move the deposit from the Mariner to a 2021 cruise.  Now, rereading the CWC policy, it looks like I would have to move that deposit before final payment date of June 3.  Is that correct?  We have joked about being so desperate for a cruise that we would go on both cruises if the opportunity arose, but it looks like that would really be the best choice if I did misunderstand about non refundable deposits.

Could book a cruise from now for every other week until Mid June 2021, you will be sure to have a cruise to go on no matter what date the cancel cruises up to. I would do that if I was you.

Just now, ZoeyVictoria said:

I am already pretty much there 😂.  That is my strategy, but for a month at a time rather than every other week.

Maybe you would just be better off stop booking cruises and WAIT until you hear something FIRM from the Cruiseline that a ship is sailing...................and then and only then book it..........

• Like 1

Just now, Jimbo said:

Maybe you would just be better off stop booking cruises and WAIT until you hear something FIRM from the Cruiseline that a ship is sailing...................and then and only then book it..........

The cancellation policies and CWC make it very attractive, as there is nothing to lose (except possibly the Mariner I just asked about).  I don’t book cruises I don’t intend to take, and the cancellations are disappointing but profitable.  I have $600 OBC on one and $300 on another Carnival cruise for rebooking two that were cancelled rather than requesting a refund.  I lifted and shifted one from June to next June; I paid $700 for four nights on the Mariner in a corner aft balcony for this year and moved it to the same cabin that would be $1,400 next year.  I already had the Rhapsody booked and moved it to the Oasis next year with price protection.  I am fairly certain that the August 3 Indy will be cancelled, so I booked the same cruise for the end of September.  If we sail in August, I will cancel or move September.  Meanwhile, I am locking in some really nice prices.  I have some money tied up, but I know it will eventually be used and it came out of a separate account that is used for only cruising.  It also keeps the disappointment and frustration over cancellations at a manageable level.  

The new cwc you can cancel any nonrefundable deposit and move it to another cruise, or cancel and just take the fcc for the deposit.

I would find another cruise I liked better and move the deposit to that cruise further out you have a better chance to go on. Rcl changes rules, I'd move the nonrefundable deposit before it's not allowed.

.... lol I did, so I know you can, poor TA

Lol and in your case sounds like book it, then lift and shift it. 

Edited by firefly333

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

The new cwc you can cancel any nonrefundable deposit and move it to another cruise, or cancel and just take the fcc for the deposit.

I would find another cruise I liked better and move the deposit to that cruise further out you have a better chance to go on. Rcl changes rules, I'd move the nonrefundable deposit before it's not allowed.

.... lol I did, so I know you can, poor TA

I would have to do that by June 3 (final payment date), though.  My intent was to make a move once they make the next announcement, whatever that might be.  It will definitely include August 3, and that is where I thought I was doing the right thing.

Almost forgot the original question: do I have any other options other than moving the non refundable deposit prior to final payment date?  Lift and Shift won’t work because I already did that for the same cruise at that time next year.

Not that I know of. I had a one of a kind 9 day that matched nothing, cancelled, moved the deposit. 

Sometimes that's just all you can do. 

Well as I said before cancel and take deposit as fcc to use later.

Edited by firefly333

On another related topic.  I booked some time ago a non refundable deposit fare sailing on April 4th.  Because of revised fares due to resident discount, it lowers the fare to the same level as the original N/R fare.  At this time, can I convert the booking to a refundable deposit/fare.

I've got FCC's to apply to this booking and also, don't want to disturb the perks form the T/A.   

7 minutes ago, nelblu said:

On another related topic.  I booked some time ago a non refundable deposit fare sailing on April 4th.  Because of revised fares due to resident discount, it lowers the fare to the same level as the original N/R fare.  At this time, can I convert the booking to a refundable deposit/fare.

I've got FCC's to apply to this booking and also, don't want to disturb the perks form the T/A.   

You can never change a non refundable fare to refundable. 

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

You can cancel anytime up to 48 hours prior to sailing and receive a 100% FCC.  Of course that means you would have to make final payment. 

17 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You can never change a non refundable fare to refundable. 

Giving it a shot.  Otherwise, I'll be paying some $400 less  due to fare reductions.

3 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Giving it a shot.  Otherwise, I'll be paying some $400 less  due to fare reductions.

It’s impossible. There is no shot.  

21. Should my clients opt to reserve a non-refundable deposit program at time of booking, are they eligible
to switch to a regular pricing option at any point prior to sailing?

Any booking originally created as or switched to a non-refundable deposit fare will maintain this status for the life of the reservation, regardless of subsequent fare program adjustments.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

29 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You can cancel anytime up to 48 hours prior to sailing and receive a 100% FCC.  Of course that means you would have to make final payment. 

So I didn’t misunderstand the terms and had it right all along?  Great!  If the Indy sails, we have a week afterwards to decide if we want to go again so soon, and if it is cancelled we at least have another shot at a cruise.  The practical part of me expects to lose both cruises in a single announcement, but I can still hope.

Just now, ZoeyVictoria said:

So I didn’t misunderstand the terms and had it right all along?  Great!  If the Indy sails, we have a week afterwards to decide if we want to go again so soon, and if it is cancelled we at least have another shot at a cruise.  The practical part of me expects to lose both cruises in a single announcement, but I can still hope.

99.99999....% certain they would both be part of the same announcement. 

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

99.99999....% certain they would both be part of the same announcement. 

You are breaking my heart!  At the time I booked the August 17 cruise,  the latest cancellation date was June 11 and I was thinking it would stay in thirty-day increments (so possibly the 3rd cancelled and the 17th a go).  But, there is nothing to lose by trying.  And all of the research and strategizing has at least given me something to fill my time and keep my brain active during the stay-at-home period.  

And thank you yet again for another tidbit of info - now I know that NRD is forever NRD.

1 minute ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

At the time I booked the August 17 cruise,  the latest cancellation date was June 11 and I was thinking it would stay in thirty-day increments (so possibly the 3rd cancelled and the 17th a go).

Your Mariner and Indy sailings may be covered by the same announcement, but that doesn't mean both will be cancelled.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Your Mariner and Indy sailings may be covered by the same announcement, but that doesn't mean both will be cancelled.

Good point.  I believe the Mariner will be one of the first to sail, which is why I booked it in June, then July, and now August.  Probably the best chance of being on one of the early cruises.

8 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

We have an August 29 cruise with final payment due this week.  If we cancel before final payment, can we get just the non refundable deposit in an FCC rather than making final payment?

OR....can we move that deposit to another cruise?  This cruise is an Alaska sailing. We'd probably change that itinerary.

Edited by denamo

1 hour ago, denamo said:

We have an August 29 cruise with final payment due this week.  If we cancel before final payment, can we get just the non refundable deposit in an FCC rather than making final payment?

OR....can we move that deposit to another cruise?  This cruise is an Alaska sailing. We'd probably change that itinerary.

Hi

You can move your deposit to another cruise.   You keep the same reservation number.  Just make sure not to say cancel, but move the deposit.  We just did this to a different itinerary, different number of days sailing.  You pay the prevailing rate for the new sailing but don’t have to pay a new deposit.

10 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

21. Should my clients opt to reserve a non-refundable deposit program at time of booking, are they eligible

Any booking originally created as or switched to a non-refundable deposit fare will maintain this status for the life of the reservation, regardless of subsequent fare program adjustments.

Hey, no problem.  It's their loss, as it will total some 1,600 in fare reductions on 4 reserves.

10 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If one lift and switched their NRD cruise (let’s say in a suite) to a new cruise and a regular cabin, do you think RC would be smart enough to catch it that it was non refundable when one cancels. 

or...

If I cancelled the same cruise mentioned above and received a FCC. Book a new cruise for the future, let’s say December, in a refundable cabin and shortly later applied the FCC.  I then cancel prior to final payment, and get my original deposit back and hopefully the FCC portion. Or would that be another FCC or would it dissolve as that FCC had been used?

I’m just wondering how smart RC IT is for tracking all these NRD FCCs.🤷‍♂️

Of course I could always take the FCC and apply it to an existing  sailing a year from now

Edited by A&L_Ont

3 hours ago, denamo said:

You can for sure cancel and get a FCC for the full amount .

Moving the deposit Is not clearly stated in the CWC policy.  It started at the same time as the lift and shift.  The lift and shift at the current time ends on August 1 so there is no way of knowing if the ability to also move deposits will also end on August 1.

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

If one lift and switched their NRD cruise (let’s say in a suite) to a new cruise and a regular cabin, do you think RC would be smart enough to catch it that it was non refundable when one cancels. 

or...

If I cancelled the same cruise mentioned above and received a FCC. Book a new cruise for the future, let’s say December, in a refundable cabin and shortly later applied the FCC.  I then cancel prior to final payment, and get my original deposit back and hopefully the FCC portion. Or would that be another FCC or would it dissolve as that FCC had been used?

I’m just wondering how smart RC IT is for tracking all these NRD FCCs.🤷‍♂️

Of course I could always take the FCC and apply it to an existing  sailing a year from now

If you are moving deposits then the same reservation number is kept and it’s the actual reservation that is flagged as NRD and has nothing to do with the cabin type.

If you took it as a FCC then that could be applied to either a refundable or non refundable booking but if that booking is subsequently cancelled the FCC is just reissued and would not come back as cash.