Reduce occupancy who cruises and who doesn’t?

I was thinking about cruise lines cruising with reduced capacity. If the existing reservations outnumber the capacity Royal wants to cruise with how do they decide who cruises and who doesn’t?

4 minutes ago, smeck said:

I was thinking about cruise lines cruising with reduced capacity. If the existing reservations outnumber the capacity Royal wants to cruise with how do they decide who cruises and who doesn’t?

It won’t be an issue for the vast majority of cruises at start up as people have already cancelled or shifted.  Cruises after final payment are at less than 50% sold for the most part.  It won’t stay low forever.  Not sure if it will get back to 200% but It will certainly get above 50%

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It won’t be an issue for the vast majority of cruises at start up as people have already cancelled or shifted.  Cruises after final payment are at less than 50% sold for the most part.  It won’t stay low forever.  Not sure if it will get back to 200% but It will certainly get above 50%

200%🤔

41 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

200%🤔

35 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Oops.  Damn fat fingers strike again. 

I'm 1000% sure I know what Ken meant😇

Edited by molly361
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, smeck said:

This is where some of the cruising fanatics here lack perspective. It's going to be a long, LONG time before any cruise line encounters this "problem".  Their product is currently not even remotely marketable to most people.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

This is where some of the cruising fanatics here lack perspective. It's going to be a long, LONG time before any cruise line encounters this "problem".  Their product is currently not even remotely marketable to most people.

Not sure I understand what you mean?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dwight1 said:

If and when it hits 50%, rest assured all suites and higher priced balconies are first in line. No business will sacrifice those for inside or OV.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree the higher priced cabins will have priority.  However, there will be a need for special needs cabins [many are inside or OV] and OV family cabins.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Not sure I understand what you mean?

The OP is wondering what will happen if they currently have more reservations than a new restricted capacity will allow.  That is not going to come to pass any time soon, because the demand for cruises has pretty much bottomed out.  The combination of an extreme economic downturn, coupled with the collective reticence to travel for leisure is hard enough.  But cruises aren't a realistic option for most people currently, as the instability of the product is a huge turn off.  The risk of not being allowed back into port is significant, and a huge deterrent to most potential customers.

I am on the Allure TA (or so I think I might still be on it anyway...maybe?... 😮 )....plus being on the roll call thread.  I am guessing more than half of the cruise mates on our thread have already posted that they have canceled the cruise (many having done the L&S).   If you go in to look for additional cabins for booking...you won't find any.  Then extrapolate out on the booked pax on that cruise that don't post on CC.  

IMHO...RCI is not letting those canceled cabins go back into inventory.  Thus...automatically reducing percentage.  

I think the problem will not be having to kick booked pax off a ship....but trying to convince anyone to stay on it. 

• Like 5

These threads are filled with  folks who are very excited about Cruising and can’t wait to get on the ship. If you talk to the general population, you’ll see most of your friends, who generally don’t cruise often, have no intention of getting on a ship in the near future.  

I don’t think that reduced capacity will be an issue.  If it is,  I agree  that the fair criteria is to look at the booking date

m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think there is also the question if they want to space out the booked cabins.  Meaning you have to change from your previously booked rooms.   If that is the case I can't see them giving priority to classes of cabins.

7 hours ago, molly361 said:

The fairest way would be to go by date booked.  Those that booked first got first option to stay last in first out

Scenario:  September 15 Mariner cruise.  Suzy booked it on November 1, 2019.  Margie booked the Navigator May 12 on June 30, 2019 but that was cancelled so she moved the booking to Mariner, September 15.

Who "booked first", and gets precedence, in your opinion?

@molly361

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Scenario:  September 15 Mariner cruise.  Suzy booked it on November 1, 2019.  Margie booked the Navigator May 12 on June 30, 2019 but that was cancelled so she moved the booking to Mariner, September 15.

Who "booked first", and gets precedence, in your opinion?

@molly361

Margie- She planned further in advance regardless of her choice of ship

Edit  Not her fault her cruise got cancelled

PS  Sorry Suzy😇

Edited by molly361
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

The system applied would very likely be the ones who paid lowest fares will be asked to move, but looking at the natural cancellations / shiftings to new bookings RCL likely will not even need to apply such measures.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Margie- She planned further in advance regardless of her choice of ship

Edit  Not her fault her cruise got cancelled

PS  Sorry Suzy😇

That’s how I would do it.  Original booking date.  Besides, both Margie and Suzy will Be in the ship, it will be a Betty who booked in Feb 2021 who will be booted off.😇

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, island lady said:

I am on the Allure TA (or so I think I might still be on it anyway...maybe?... 😮 )....plus being on the roll call thread.  I am guessing more than half of the cruise mates on our thread have already posted that they have canceled the cruise (many having done the L&S).   If you go in to look for additional cabins for booking...you won't find any.  Then extrapolate out on the booked pax on that cruise that don't post on CC.  

IMHO...RCI is not letting those canceled cabins go back into inventory.  Thus...automatically reducing percentage.  

I think the problem will not be having to kick booked pax off a ship....but trying to convince anyone to stay on it. 

Final payment still a couple months away. Do you still have confirmed airfare?