When do you think you'll cruise again?

grest

1 hour ago, JeffElizabeth said:

I do wonder if we will see fewer Americans on our cruise in Europe next year. I could see that Americans will choose to only visit Canada and the states for the near future and Europeans might do the same too, only cruise to their neighboring nations. 

JeffElizabeth. I agree.

I have 2 friends that have just purchased new vehicles for long driving trips. I have a new vehicle closing tomorrow. For same reason. 

We all took our cruise budgets and blew a portion on high end SUV's with every safety and comfort feature - got really excellent value.

Interstates here we come!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have 5 cruises on the books (all booked before Covid) between Sept. of this year and October of next year.  Of those, one won't go in Sept.  (I'm 99% sure even though HAL hasn't cancelled it yet), the next two are iffy (Dec. and January).  I do really hope the last 2 will happen.  B2B in the Med.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doubt It said:

JeffElizabeth. I agree.

I have 2 friends that have just purchased new vehicles for long driving trips. I have a new vehicle closing tomorrow. For same reason. 

We all took our cruise budgets and blew a portion on high end SUV's with every safety and comfort feature - got really excellent value.

Bought my new SUV last week and not going cruising any time soon was a critical part of that decision.  Prices were good and all things considered I think I got a good deal on a vehicle with all the latest safety features.   Great minds think alike.

7 hours ago, Doubt It said:

JeffElizabeth. I agree.

That involves staying at hotels and eating in restaurants which I'm not ready to do now.

7 hours ago, Doubt It said:

11 hours ago, Doubt It said:

JeffElizabeth. I agree.

No interstates for you -- at least not until the international border opens.

15 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

Bought my new SUV last week and not going cruising any time soon was a critical part of that decision.  Prices were good and all things considered I think I got a good deal on a vehicle with all the latest safety features.   Great minds think alike.

That is exactly what I am planning to do as well.  Mrs Banjo and I had three trips planned this year, looks like all will be canceled so I have the $$ to buy that new luxury pick up.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Doubt It said:

JeffElizabeth. I agree.

We sort of did the same, bought myself a new motorcycle to explore our Colorado Rockies.  The dealership was packed,  they said lots of people are spending their vacation money on new motorcycles and ATV's.

We had plans for this summer but my wife luckily talked me over not to book anything in March. And she was right, otherwise we would be dealing with all that refund nonsence and fcc credits which I dont reall appreciate. As for now we aim on December. Maybe some christmas cruising for a change. Should be nice - we are thinking about some norwegian cruise at the moment 

• Like 1

Consumers are deciding what vacation options are realistic going forward. It means that many (like me and others who have posted here) are moving to expand their vacation horizons.

We are also looking at Globus tours to see the world when things open up enough. Had a most amazing tour of Austria, Switzerland, France and Germany and a return on the QM2 from Hamburg, last June. No cruise has ever beat the value for money, the sights, the local food period. Globus specializes in North Americans and Aussies/Kiwis. They stay 2 days in each city, so really excellent site seeing. A fairly high end tour company. 

So between driving trips with the new Porsche and land tours, cruising is not ranking high.

When things open up enough to travel in North America and elsewhere on tour, we will be there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

We sort of did the same, bought myself a new motorcycle to explore our Colorado Rockies.  The dealership was packed,  they said lots of people are spending their vacation money on new motorcycles and ATV's.

JeffElizabeth, ominous for cruising and air travel.

Once people buy fabulous SUV's, recreational vehicles, cottages - cruising will be one of the main losers.

Everyone I know is spending big $ on new vehicles and looking at cottages.  No one is talking about overseas travel or cruises. 

I am contemplating a fab house rental in Florida with the mandatory lanai and it has to be on the waterways so I can see gators. Always wanted to do this. Would drive there and see the heartland of God Bless America. Stay for months.  Subject of course to border opening and other considerations.

Move onwards folks and see your own country in detail. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 10:22 AM, grest said:

Just wondering what people are thinking about when to board another ship....missing it!

A friend who will be celebrating his 80th.birthday in October planned a cruise that month on HAL .He has been cruising once every 10 years on HAL .Now he is thinking of waiting 10 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have been taking a "wait & see" attitude with booking a new cruise....   BUT, then we came across a KILLER of a promotion from HAL on a New England cruise next May.     Alas, when we called it was SO full of caveats and add on's that we once again backed out and are again only "Looky Lou's"   

It is amazing though how quickly you can go from "nope nope, nope, not for a couple years" to "WOOOOAH hey, I'll be on board with THAT deal!  😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

Once people buy fabulous SUV's, recreational vehicles, cottages - cruising will be one of the main losers.

Everyone I know is spending big $ on new vehicles and looking at cottages.  No one is talking about overseas travel or cruises. 

I am contemplating a fab house rental in Florida with the mandatory lanai and it has to be on the waterways so I can see gators. Always wanted to do this. Would drive there and see the heartland of God Bless America. Stay for months.  Subject of course to border opening and other considerations.

Interesting.  I’m trying to talk my wife into a Pacific Northwest vacation.   Would love to find a nice cabin or home in the mountains with a stream or a place overlooking Puget Sound.  I lived in the Seattle-Tacoma area and would love to share the beauty of the area with my wife.   

• Like 1

Most European countries are opening borders in next 4/5 weeks starting with Italy on 3rd June, only open to other Europeans at first but I would think they will open up to other countries which have virus under control in due course. That may rule out USA unless the situation improves rapidly.

its not been established if ports will be open to cruise ships but most airlines are starting up again last week in June.

Edited by cruiser man 60
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Doubt It said:

I can confirm what you are saying.

I have just listed my 3 bedroom  lake front cottage in Maine with it's own dock and sandy beach.  The response has been phenomenal with people asking for showings.  The season hasn't even started yet and I'm expecting a bidding war.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HamOp said:

I can confirm what you are saying.

I have just listed my 3 bedroom  lake front cottage in Maine with it's own dock and sandy beach.  The response has been phenomenal with people asking for showings.  The season hasn't even started yet and I'm expecting a bidding war.

What Lake?  Mrs Banjo and I sold our camp on Sebago a couple of years ago.  We do miss it, but also it is nicer to be a RENTER, instead of renting our place out.

• Like 1

Just now, crusinbanjo said:

What Lake?  Mrs Banjo and I sold our camp on Sebago a couple of years ago.  We do miss it, but also it is nicer to be a RENTER, instead of renting our place out.

Moose Pond in Bridgton.  Not too far from Sebago.

• Like 1

We would cruise today if possible!  We have had 5 HAL cruises cancelled for the remainder of 2020 plus a short Disney Cruise, & a short Royal Caribbean cruise cancelled in June & July.  Have postponed the Royal Caribbean cruise until July--keeping fingers crossed.  Have postponed the Disney cruise until later in November.  AND have our eyes on 2 back-to-back HAL cruises in October & November, 2020.  WE ARE READY TO CRUISE AGAIN!!!

27 minutes ago, mskitty1 said:

We would cruise today if possible!  We have had 5 HAL cruises cancelled for the remainder of 2020 plus a short Disney Cruise, & a short Royal Caribbean cruise cancelled in June & July.  Have postponed the Royal Caribbean cruise until July--keeping fingers crossed.  Have postponed the Disney cruise until later in November.  AND have our eyes on 2 back-to-back HAL cruises in October & November, 2020.  WE ARE READY TO CRUISE AGAIN!!!

Look at the question that started this thread.  The issue isn't whether you are ready to cruise.  The issue is when you think you will cruise again.

• Like 1

Yes we do. Covid-1984 be gone!

As ‘orphans’ from the ‘20 WC (I need to make some T-shirts with that slogan soon) to wear around the Lido pool sometime and we do have intentions to cruise again.

Upon final arrival to the casa the 2nd week of April I went ahead and planned 2021 travel plans that included a cruise or two.

Me thinks the rest of 2020 is a ‘wash’ (short ‘feeler’ cruises at best IMO dependent on the CDC “guidelines”) and so we’re just doing road trips. I’ve never been able to justify getting a camper / motor home for short segments of my life considering initially cost, maintenance & insurance but those good folks that enjoy the open road, camp grounds & such I wish you only the best (& be sure to keep me in mind if you need a relief driver).

In any event, we’re ‘good to go’ at this point with a April 2021 TA with HAL, boarding a river cruise the same day as disembarkation for a AMS to Budapest Viking Cruise and then 2 weeks doing a train, B&B holiday by ourselves and then joining an Odyssey 2 week land tour for Switzerland & Austria (BTW, thanks Jan for the tip).

And we’re also booked with HAL for the 71 day Grand come October 2021.

So yes, we plan to continue cruising. However, if we feel unsafe for one reason or another or, more importantly, if we have to wear masks all the time while cruising either on a river or ocean then all reservations will be cancelled. And, that’s assuming we’re still in good health ( a senior thought, no?). Just me.

Me thinks by 2021 things will sort themselves out world- wise and , perhaps ,a vaccine for the current virus (BTW, wouldn’t it be great if they had the dreaded Noro virus combined in the same vaccine ?)

Onward we march!

Be well.

Bob

As 

• Like 3