What kind of reaction do you expect from your family and friends when you tell them you are on one of the first cruises?

I learned many years ago to never discuss travel plans with family and friends unless they are interested in booking their next trip with us.  The ones who really want to know will ask, and the others who want to be envious or negative never get more from me than "it was fun" or "sorry you live your life in fear" when they ask about a trip then tell me why they would never do whatever trip I just did.  😉

• Like 2

Thank you, yogimax for your positive comment concerning my post that is on page 2 of this thread !🤗

You are on one end of LI and I am about 80 miles east of you on the North Fork. Because of where we live, we get it  about the Covid-19!

We are respectful of this virus because we need to be respectful.

There are days during this quarantine that I despair of every traveling again. My DH and I enjoyed taking cruises. Now,we are doubtful that we will choose this kind of vacation ever again.

I am looking forward to the day when I can hug my friends and family. We had a grandniece born this past February that we have yet to meet in person. Photos a re just not the same !

If everyone would be mindful of this virus and take precautions so that it is not spread,the sooner we will all be able to engage in the activities that we enjoy in our lives again.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Thank you, yogimax for your positive comment concerning my post that is on page 2 of this thread !🤗

You are on one end of LI and I am about 80 miles east of you on the North Fork. Because of where we live, we get it  about the Covid-19!

We are respectful of this virus because we need to be respectful.

There are days during this quarantine that I despair of every traveling again. My DH and I enjoyed taking cruises. Now,we are doubtful that we will choose this kind of vacation ever again.

I am looking forward to the day when I can hug my friends and family. We had a grandniece born this past February that we have yet to meet in person. Photos a re just not the same !

If everyone would be mindful of this virus and take precautions so that it is not spread,the sooner we will all be able to engage in the activities that we enjoy in our lives again.

MJ - I sometimes wonder if those of us in New York might be the only ones who get it.  I looked at the weekend pictures from Missouri of hundreds gathering closely together without masks and cringed.  Sadly, I fear that reality may soon be coming their way.

We too look forward to the day we can hug family and friends.  We do virtual with our grandkids and families but it's not the same.  We look forward to going back to church one day.  We look forward to stepping on a ship once again.

Sadly, that will never happen until the deniers understand that it's not about "me" but about "we."

You are absolutely right that everyone needs to be onboard (no pun intended) with safe practices.  Yes, I even get mad at those who simply don't "get it."  Nope, I'll refrain from my next sentence.  Thank you for a word of understanding and support!

• Like 2

I had a phone call with young niece today and she was telling me how upset she was after seeing those pictures from Missouri. Yes,she is a millennial, but she gets it.

Apparently ,people in her neighborhood in Arlington,VA are being very cavalier about Covid-19 precautions. She is so bothered by this,she plans on retreating to her parents’ vacation home in Maine and work from home there.

During another phone call with a friend who had traveled to Iceland in February and became very impressed by that country, I found out that they have had the virus,but now,there are no cases of the disease.How was this accomplished ?

Everyone worked together to banish Covid-19 .Of course, Iceland is a much smaller country than the US,nevertheless, it was the community minded citizens that displayed the discipline and respect for others that caused them to be rid of the virus.

The US could use a dose of resolve that has been evident in Iceland to banish the disease here.

• Like 2

I also get upset when I see pictures of crowds of people with no masks.  Don't they realize the possibilities of sickness according to the PROFESSIONALS?  Do they know more than the scientists?

I get the protect yourself & others from this Covid-19.  My DH & I are both in our 70's.  We go out to the grocery store, hardware store, pharmacy or take out restaurant (usually Wendy's).  We wear our face masks & take some wipes in a plastic bag to wipe down a cart.  I have had virtual doctor appointments.  I have seen my granddaughter up close twice. 

I am so sick of cooking & staying home!    I have a cruise booked for October 18 but I will keep an eye on events & if needed will Lift & Shift.

• Like 3

I look forward to being able to tell my family, kids, etc.. that we will be cruising again but NOT until Covid-19 is under control and from what I am seeing a lot of people are not taking Covid-19 seriously at all.   Today in Toronto, we had just over 200 new cases.  Yes, a small number compared to a lot of places in the US.  We have two cruises booked for Dec 2020 one on Royal Caribbean and the other on Princess Enchanted.  I really really want to be able to tell my family that we are going, but come just before final payment if there are still loads of sick people milling around (final payment being Sept 7 and 8), sadly we will be telling family, WE ARE NOT GOING!.  Sad, but that is the reality.

• Like 4

I am really hoping we will be on our Nov sailing. I am anxious to see what protocols the cruise industry puts in place when they reopen. They are extremely invested in having a safe way to restart cruising. 
That doesn’t mean I don’t understand how serious this virus is. Looking forward to getting back to a favorite part of life doesn’t make me reckless or uncaring. We have followed the guidelines, including not seeing our granddaughter for months, and will continue to do everything we can to help stop the spread. 

• Like 1

Kudos to the courageous cruisers who can't wait to jump on the first thing sailing. I love to cruise as much as anyone, but I'm happy to let you folks be the guinea pigs while there is still no vaccine and no real treatment for COVID. The ordeal of the passengers on the Diamond Princess was object lesson enough for me. I don't wish anything bad on anyone, I'm just not willing to take the risk, myself.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, koolZip said:

Kudos to the courageous cruisers who can't wait to jump on the first thing sailing. I love to cruise as much as anyone, but I'm happy to let you folks be the guinea pigs while there is still no vaccine and no real treatment for COVID. The ordeal of the passengers on the Diamond Princess was object lesson enough for me. I don't wish anything bad on anyone, I'm just not willing to take the risk, myself.

I am also in wait and see mode. I canceled this summer's cruise and booked one for next summer instead. I'll see what protocols RCCL puts into place and the efficacy of those protocols before making an informed decision.

• Like 1

I am also one of those who will board as soon as possible. All my family knows that- some called me crazy- but I don´t care. I had to cancel - much to my chargrin - already two cruise- one in April and one in June. So in deep cruise withdrawl by now. LOL! Firstworld problems I know- but that can´t be helped.

• Like 1