What do you consider 1/2 capacity

iggyc

We cruised on a full ship last August. Capacity 3000 but only 2400 on board with all cabins full. Crew member said following week there would be 600 more people onboard for holiday cruise as 3rd and  4th passengers.

so is 1/2 capacity only 1/2 of cabins booked or 1/2 of 3000.  

will be interesting to see how the numbers play out

If cruise lines are going to block off some cabins to use for medical use as surge/ICU beds, they will likely set aside some of the Inside cabins nearest to the medical center, but not necessary just those. It is much more difficult to get medical equipments AND personnel into smaller cabins used for quarantine, isolation and ICU level of care.  

What about crew quarters, depending on the specific/class of ship - some of them share cabins - whether it's double or triple occupancy.  Although, I would expect a reduction in overall # of crew.  

I am sure some might've seen/read this article about where the first "trial" of shorter cruises are most likely to sail from (on CR - predicted to be either Asia or Europe) - and where "smaller" mid-sized ships might be preferred, JMHO.  

https://cruiseradio.net/cruise-execs-reveal-where-first-cruise-ships-could-sail-from/

• Like 1

Every couple booking an ocean view and above gets an inside cabin thrown in for free.

(a nominal service charge of 50% of a one person inside fare will be added to your bill for your convenience.)

Edited by Paul Bogle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If cruise lines are going to block off some cabins to use for medical use as surge/ICU beds, they will likely set aside some of the Inside cabins nearest to the medical center, but not necessary just those. It is much more difficult to get medical equipments AND personnel into smaller cabins used for quarantine, isolation and ICU level of care.  

What about crew quarters, depending on the specific/class of ship - some of them share cabins - whether it's double or triple occupancy.  Although, I would expect a reduction in overall # of crew.  

I am sure some might've seen/read this article about where the first "trial" of shorter cruises are most likely to sail from (on CR - predicted to be either Asia or Europe) - and where "smaller" mid-sized ships might be preferred, JMHO.  
https://cruiseradio.net/cruise-execs-reveal-where-first-cruise-ships-could-sail-from/

It’s hard to imagine a dramatic increase in cleaning responsibilities, increased level of service at the buffet, etc. corresponding with a decrease in number of crew on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IT doesn't really matter what is half full. The cruise lines probably need 90% of the lower berths booked to come close to breaking even, so what ever the number that is a lot more than half.

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 1

This outline/press advisory has been posted by Genting Cruise Line for Star Cruises, seemed pretty extensive at a glance - 

https://media.starcruises.com/Content/media/webpages/health-advisory-updates/en/index.html

The other "chat" that I was listening to on a podcast was about ship scheduling, no more quick turnaround at the port of dis/embarkation in a matter of hours - instead, it will be planned as an overnight stop for a full scale, deep cleaning, top to bottom, bow to stern, etc. from use of chemical disinfectants, fogging to use of UVC lights, etc. 

We're onboard the Escape during one of those "minor" norovirus outbreak - tables were wiped clean, wet & had to be allowed to air dry for 15 minutes before the next guests can be seated ... of course, there're idiots & fools that tried to ignore the warning signs on the table, as those prized window seats at the buffet were especially highly sought after on long sea days.  

As for ICU beds, I am pretty sure even the normal hospital bed (they are wide & long) ones will not fit thru the doorway unless they disassemble them first.  Inside the cabin, turning them can still be an issue, unless they move the bedding, ec. out of the way.  I'm sure procurement can get dedicated and/or modified ones that can fit onboard the typical cruise ships.  For emergency & bed transfer, a much narrower Stryker cot designed for transport use would be a better option but it bring up other issues. A typical stretcher is 32" or more, like this one. 

Bedsheet issues for the ship's laundry operations as they will need to red bag them, etc. for special handling.  Yike ... bean counters won't be happy at all.  

Of course, they can convert one of the lounge/club/dining room into a field hospital and/or section it for ICU, isolation/quarantine use for an expected surge.  The challenges are more than buying a dozen ventilators, extra oxygen tanks and respiratory tech alone.  Wait, there is a "hack" floating online for modifying those "inexpensive" CPAP.  

2 hours ago, zqvol said:

Link or cite please

2 hours ago, seaman11 said:

i read saw on a video that the ship can break even at 30-33% capacity . 

It was an interview with the RCCL CEO. He said that under the right conditions, he could operate a few ships at 33% capacity and break even (not make money). He didn't specify what the conditions were... people on the RCCL board speculated 

1/3 crew, fewer stewards with more rooms (maybe a single service per day), less activities so fewer cruise staff, fewer laundry personnel, fewer bar staff, closed bars, little or no wait staff, 2 or 3 shift set dining times, closing low volume places like Sorentos, and Coffee Shops, limited pool hours so a single shift could setup and tear down. Fewer/no pools so reduced/no lifeguards, etc. etc.  And itineraries that don't consume a lot of gas (no long runs to the Eastern Caribbean (can you say short cruises to Coco Cay and Nassau?)). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

It was an interview with the RCCL CEO. He said that under the right conditions, he could operate a few ships at 33% capacity and break even (not make money). He didn't specify what the conditions were... people on the RCCL board speculated 

1/3 crew, fewer stewards with more rooms (maybe a single service per day), less activities so fewer cruise staff, fewer laundry personnel, fewer bar staff, closed bars, little or no wait staff, 2 or 3 shift set dining times, closing low volume places like Sorentos, and Coffee Shops, limited pool hours so a single shift could setup and tear down. Fewer/no pools so reduced/no lifeguards, etc. etc.  And itineraries that don't consume a lot of gas (no long runs to the Eastern Caribbean (can you say short cruises to Coco Cay and Nassau?)). 

That sounds like a fun cruise!  Believe I'll stay home.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, roger001 said:

That sounds like a fun cruise!  Believe I'll stay home.  

And do what?  Same boring thing you were doing for 3 months already?  Yes there will be some rescitions and things will be a bit different. im still willing to go .  i dont mind taking precautions.

• Like 2

They would still need a large amount of staff; so in turn prices would be higher. I would hope buffets come back some day. Taking your burger outside is one of the best parts of a cruise; sitting inside in a MDR for 2 hours during lunch isnt for everyone.

6 minutes ago, HowardK said:

They would still need a large amount of staff; so in turn prices would be higher. I would hope buffets come back some day. Taking your burger outside is one of the best parts of a cruise; sitting inside in a MDR for 2 hours during lunch isnt for everyone.

Well i dont think they would need more staff just more ropes and signs. And maybe a letter in the cabins when you set sail of the new rules in place.  

As for buffets im hopeing they still have them but just get rid of self served.  

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

As for buffets im hopeing they still have them but just get rid of self served.  

I think that is what they will do. It is too big an area to just leave closed. Plus it puts more pressure on the main dining room area.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

I think that is what they will do. It is too big an area to just leave closed. Plus it puts more pressure on the main dining room area.

i cant imagine lines like carnival closing the buffet, their would be a riot.  also as you said, how would that work in the mornings and lunch? crazy lines as most wake up at 10-11am. 

8 hours ago, Paul Bogle said:

Every couple booking an ocean view and above gets an inside cabin thrown in for free.

(a nominal service charge of 50% of a one person inside fare will be added to your bill for your convenience.)

The way I've seen some people pack, they could use the extra inside cabin for storing shoes and clothing.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

If they limited cruising to high limit gamblers willing to risk tens of thousands of dollars and reserved the Haven  to those that would risk hundreds of thousands they should be able to show a profit at 1/3 capacity. Maybe most of the slot machines could be removed to make room for a truly upscale baccarat salon that would attract the Chinese whales that made Macao the highest grossing gambling destination in the world. 

15 hours ago, seaman11 said:

And do what?  Same boring thing you were doing for 3 months already?  Yes there will be some rescitions and things will be a bit different. im still willing to go .  i dont mind taking precautions.

I know you can't wait to take your first cruise when they start back up again. I agree with the poster you quoted. I assume you live within driving distance of a port? I don't. I have to fly to get to a port, so we are talking between $300-$500 each on top of the cruise fare just to get to a port. And assuming a minimum cruise fare of another $300-$500 for even a short cruise. Plus port fees, taxes, tips.... No thanks, I can think of much better ways to spend $1,500-$2,500 (not including the vacation time I have to take off work) than traveling all the way to florida, jumping on a ship for a short cruise to Nassau, and then traveling all the way back; all the while no guarantees what will and will not be open on the ship, whether or not masks will be required, etc.

We take an annual vacation because that is what works for us with vacation time and cost restraints. I'd rather not take a vacation this year and have a larger budget for next year than spend the money and vacation time for an unknown experience. 

But please, go ahead and take one so I can see how it goes. It's a bit like early adapters with a new technology. Let the early adapters try it first so they can work the bugs out. 

Edited by sanger727