Cruise Critic Community
jonthomas

Travel from Brazil closed.

Posted (edited)

An announcement made from State Department.

Is this affecting anyone who planned to do South American cruise from or to Rio?

We had thought about booking this cruise for Dec 2020. Glad we didn't. Booked the Carib instead for new years,

but that wont happen  either. Just my opinion.

Edited by jonthomas

It’s about time that was done. They’ve been in trouble for weeks. Not sure what took so long. 

Brazil’s Covid- 19 numbers hav spiked during the past few days.

Even if there were  no State Department warning about travel to Brazil, who would choose to travel to Brazil any time soon  because of the health crisis in that country?

52 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Brazil’s Covid- 19 numbers hav spiked during the past few days.

Even if there were  no State Department warning about travel to Brazil, who would choose to travel to Brazil any time soon  because of the health crisis in that country?

Kinda like choosing to travel to the USA

Right? The US has the highest number of cases by far and we are blocking people from flying here? Who in their right mind would choose to fly into the US now!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Don't forget, the US has also closed the border from Canada for non-essential travel

5 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Don't forget, the US has also closed the border from Canada for non-essential travel

And visa versa Canada has closed the border. Non essential travel.

Hopefully we will find a vaccine.

So sad too many dying. 

OntarioCruiser

No surprise about Brazil.  Their leader Bolsonaro has been quite controversial for resisting implementing COVID measures that most of the world adopted back in March.

We were booked for a B2B Nov 20, Dec 6 to South America. I had spent an incredible amount of time, researching, organizing and planning private tours. Had all sorts of people joining me and asking for more and more availability. It all came crashing down. I cancelled both legs of the cruise in very early March. There was no way I would be going to South America during a pandemic. Celebrity refunded our deposit, air line fully credited our fares, no deposits on any tours were given. So we came out just fine financially but were very disappointed not to be doing this bucket list cruise. 

What really surprises me is the number of people who are still emailing me constantly to get onto the private tours. Why are people so unaware of what is happening on this planet?

On the roll call there is  still someone who posted that she thinks we will be sailing on June 1 and that she is all ready to go to Rio in November. There are others sill offering tours. Why would they do that?

I have done all I can, to post on roll call that I have cancelled all the private tours . I have told the silly people that still think they are going, not to give deposits to anyone . And yes they still think they are going. Must be the same people that are mobbing beaches and swim parties.

Unbelievable. 

8 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Right? The US has the highest number of cases by far and we are blocking people from flying here? Who in their right mind would choose to fly into the US now!

I totally agree.  Right now, I would feel safer in any country other than the US.  

28 minutes ago, cruisesport said:

We were booked for a B2B Nov 20, Dec 6 to South America. I had spent an incredible amount of time, researching, organizing and planning private tours. Had all sorts of people joining me and asking for more and more availability. It all came crashing down. I cancelled both legs of the cruise in very early March. There was no way I would be going to South America during a pandemic. Celebrity refunded our deposit, air line fully credited our fares, no deposits on any tours were given. So we came out just fine financially but were very disappointed not to be doing this bucket list cruise. 

What really surprises me is the number of people who are still emailing me constantly to get onto the private tours. Why are people so unaware of what is happening on this planet?

There are all kinds of things happening on this planet.  More people are dying from cancer, heart disease, obesity, gun violence, terrorism, car accidents, alcoholism, drug abuse, etc.  You cannot stop living your life just because things are happening on the planet.

9 minutes ago, kebrown said:

I totally agree.  Right now, I would feel safer in any country other than the US.  

Yes , but not on a cruise ship. 

2 minutes ago, kebrown said:

There are all kinds of things happening on this planet.  More people are dying from cancer, heart disease, obesity, gun violence, terrorism, car accidents, alcoholism, drug abuse, etc.  You cannot stop living your life just because things are happening on the planet.

This is not a topic about living life inspite of what is happening on the planet. This is about No travel to Brazil. 

2 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

This is not a topic about living life inspite of what is happening on the planet. This is about No travel to Brazil. 

Taking a cruise is a part of living and enjoying life for many people.  If someone decides that they want to take a cruise out of Brazil in spite of everything that is happening, that is their choice and should not be judged for it.

All are respected for their opinion. You are not being judged for yours. If someone feels it is silly, stupid, incredible, incredulous, to be sailing off to Rio at a time like this, it is their opinion. 

This topic is about Rio being closed and how it affects those who have bookings for that region. 

If your comments do not fall in this realm, please start your own topic.

How about, Having choices and not being judged for them. A very good topic, so have a go at it. 

1 hour ago, cruisesport said:

On the roll call there is  still someone who posted that she thinks we will be sailing on June 1 and that she is all ready to go to Rio in November. There are others sill offering tours. Why would they do that?

I have done all I can, to post on roll call that I have cancelled all the private tours . I have told the silly people that still think they are going, not to give deposits to anyone . And yes they still think they are going. Must be the same people that are mobbing beaches and swim parties.

Unbelievable. 

Thank you for staying on topic. 

4 hours ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

And visa versa Canada has closed the border. Non essential travel.

Hopefully we will find a vaccine.

So sad too many dying. 

OntarioCruiser

Note that air travel between the US and Canada has NOT been halted, at least as of now.

2 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

Note that air travel between the US and Canada has NOT been halted, at least as of now.

Like land crossings, it is only available for essential travel.

7 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Actually, many people can travel and just say their travel is essential.   It probably is, to them.

Well, for almost 2 months now,  anyone arriving to our province by air or via our bridge (only other entry point), who cannot prove they are travelling for approved, essential reasons, have been turned away or sent back on the next flight. Would hope our country’s border is doing the same.

9 hours ago, kebrown said:

Not one of the terrible things you’ve listed above is contagious, never mind HIGHLY contagious. 

Not one of the things you list above would Keep me from a cruise .   But,

as long as Covid-19 is rampaging the world without vaccines or treatments, I, Sadly, cannot go on another cruise, to South America or anywhere else.

1 hour ago, PEIpair said:

Well, for almost 2 months now,  anyone arriving to our province by air or via our bridge (only other entry point), who cannot prove they are travelling for approved, essential reasons, have been turned away or sent back on the next flight. Would hope our country’s border is doing the same.

Yes, you can't fly into Canada without some proof of the essential element of your visit.