Weymouth bay

London-Calling

On 5/11/2020 at 7:32 AM, the english lady said:

I personally think it will be way into next year until we see any American ships in Southampton. You would need a vaccine in place before ships from there came here to sail cruises from. Also I still think some of the American lines are damaged brands.  I was vaguely looking last year at Princess cruises around the UK , but I would not sail with them now.  

I think cruising in general is a damaged brand whatever the company may be. Regular loyal customers will return to their favoured brand whether it be P&O, Cunard, Princess or any others but the problem is going to be is enticing new customers to cruise whatever the cruise company and that is where the problem lies. I am convinced whatever regulations are decided they will be enforced by Carnival Corp across all their ships it will be down to individual countries and the people from them that will vary in accepting the risk on how soon to cruise.

Edited by majortom10

On 5/3/2020 at 6:35 PM, Bin man said:

See Azura out on a run .Are the ships leaving the ports to save our money? and anchor of shore 

Insufficient berths available.

12 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

Insufficient berths available.

And it's also much cheaper to drop anchor at sea. I seem to remember reading that Southampton port refused to consider reducing their charges for long stays, hence the use of the Weymouth Anchorage.

As I am working today for the Harbour, just looked at AIS and there are a whole bunch of cruise ships off Weymouth, another lot off Shanklin.  Arcadia is out for a jaunt along with a few others.  What a nightmare.

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Loving all these pictures of the cruise ships meandering around together. I'm begining to feel homesick 😔 

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47

1 hour ago, kruzseeka said:

Interesting.  Wonder where they're off to.  Noticed some tender activity yesterday.  

I guess that they will need to port periodically to re-stock with provisions, especially fresh food which will not last indefinitely,  they also need to go out to sea occasionally to dispose of grey water as well.

On 5/24/2020 at 11:20 AM, Bin man said:

All 6 ships in weymouth harbour will iona join her for a group photo 

Shame that Iona Is still in Bremerhaven on final fit (shipyard Closed) before sea trials

Edited by Officeboy

35 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I guess that they will need to port periodically to re-stock with provisions, especially fresh food which will not last indefinitely,  they also need to go out to sea occasionally to dispose of grey water as well.

Of course, hadn't thought of going out for the grey water.  Did think about re-stocking - but in these times I must confess my first thought was 'I hope that's not someone having to be transferred to go to hospital'.   Hope the situation on board in that respect is good for all concerned.  

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Not sure if this is the right thread but why are they not sending Ventura to India now?

Indian Government would not let the returning crew ashore,  if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

Of course, hadn't thought of going out for the grey water.  Did think about re-stocking - but in these times I must confess my first thought was 'I hope that's not someone having to be transferred to go to hospital'.   Hope the situation on board in that respect is good for all concerned.  

They need to stock up on Oranges and Onions. When the crew are onboard for prolonged periods they can get scurvy.🤒

13 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

With a skeleton crew, I would think that a ship could survive for 3 months at least without resupplying. But, to discharge grey water, the ship will need to sail at least 12(?) miles off shore.

Well we had Britannia and Azura come into Southampton yesterday morning...Britannia  left at lunch time and Britannia round about midnight.

Its so sad..... though we did have Azura sending horn message of farewell to Britannia as she left. Don't know if there will be any ships in on thursday for the final clap for carers..they usually join in with that.

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

With a skeleton crew, I would think that a ship could survive for 3 months at least without resupplying. But, to discharge grey water, the ship will need to sail at least 12(?) miles off shore.

You could end up with a scurvyish sleleton crew if they have to live off frozen fruit and vegetables for 3 months.

43 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You could end up with a scurvyish sleleton crew if they have to live off frozen fruit and vegetables for 3 months.

Plenty of vitamins in frozen veg, probably more than fresh, as the vitamin quantity starts to deteriorate in fresh veg from the moment it is harvested. Frozen is normally processed within an hour or so of picking.

• Like 1