Over 70 Fit to Sail letter still showing required ?

48traveler

We are supposed to cruise in September after getting May sailing cancelled  Why when you click on news on this web site and then on Carnival it still says over 70 letter required which will not work for us although we are very healthy. I could swear a while back I read somewhere that Carnival caught a lot of flack over it and it is not required. Please forgive me if this has been hashed over as I tried searching and cannot find the old posts.

Carnival will deny boarding to all guests 70 years of age or older unless they have a letter from their physician confirming they are fit to sail. Additionally, all guests will be asked if they have been hospitalized in the past two months for or if they have a history of chronic or severe medical conditions. The CDC defines chronic conditions as an illness persisting for a long time or constantly recurring, such as diabetes, heart, kidney or lung disease. Additional severe medical conditions include: suppressed immunity  or if the person requires oxygen for any reason. Guests with chronic or severe medical conditions will not be allowed to sail.

I know this is a stretch, but I googled passenger over 70 travel protocols. This isn't a definitive answer, but it looks encouraging:

".........Additional measures for passengers over 70 had been developed and were adopted by some cruise lines, but were immediately superseded by the suspension of cruise operations in March. As there are no further embarkations during the suspension period, these requirements have been removed,” said CLIA in a statement." This was dated April 30.

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/cruise-lines-loosen-restrictions-for-passengers-aged-over-70/

The next article is dated May 1, 2020:

".........We know that our 70-plus guests and those with chronic conditions are especially eager to understand what cruising will look like in the future,” Royal Caribbean Cruises told The Points Guy. “While subject to change, via the Cruise Lines International Association, we have confirmed that the previous restrictions were lifted in early April after cruise lines suspended service.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/older-travelers-reportedly-wont-be-barred-from-cruise-ships-post-coronavirus.html

I couldn't find anything definitive of Carnival lifting that requirement, but that doesn't mean they haven't. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Carnival probably should do this for awhile anyways, But after what happened with the Diamond princess they really should. Will save on Lawsuits if there is another outbreak on the ship. 

You probably arent 70 to say this? Its a who cares as long as it's not me answer. Lots under 70 have issues too, dont pick on seniors. I turn 70ma few days before my cruise on carnival. I'd want a refund if they added it after I booked. Talk about lawsuits

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

You probably arent 70 to say this? Its a who cares as long as it's not me answer. Lots under 70 have issues too, dont pick on seniors. I turn 70ma few days before my cruise on carnival. I'd want a refund if they added it after I booked. Talk about lawsuits

Agree completely

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

I know this is a stretch, but I googled passenger over 70 travel protocols. This isn't a definitive answer, but it looks encouraging:

".........Additional measures for passengers over 70 had been developed and were adopted by some cruise lines, but were immediately superseded by the suspension of cruise operations in March. As there are no further embarkations during the suspension period, these requirements have been removed,” said CLIA in a statement." This was dated April 30.

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/cruise-lines-loosen-restrictions-for-passengers-aged-over-70/

The next article is dated May 1, 2020:

".........We know that our 70-plus guests and those with chronic conditions are especially eager to understand what cruising will look like in the future,” Royal Caribbean Cruises told The Points Guy. “While subject to change, via the Cruise Lines International Association, we have confirmed that the previous restrictions were lifted in early April after cruise lines suspended service.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/older-travelers-reportedly-wont-be-barred-from-cruise-ships-post-coronavirus.html

I couldn't find anything definitive of Carnival lifting that requirement, but that doesn't mean they haven't. 

Thank you for the good info  Greatly appreciated

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

No but I am also an RN and people over 60 generally are more susceptible to things as they age, Just the truth of it honestly. I am in my Early 30's but I can see Carnival doing this and probably should. If you are in good health I don't see how going to your doctor and getting this letter is honestly that big of a deal.

3 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

No but I am also an RN and people over 60 generally are more susceptible to things as they age, Just the truth of it honestly. I am in my Early 30's but I can see Carnival doing this and probably should. If you are in good health I don't see how going to your doctor and getting this letter is honestly that big of a deal.

Our doctors refused to sign one  

12 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Most medical groups won't allow the doctors to sign letters like that.

• Like 2

Nothing has been finalized yet. I expect many lines will use protocols similar to what Princess posted recently that did not list a specific age, but said that an extensive health questionnaire and thermal temperature scan would be required of everyone and there would be medical staff at the terminal for a more enhanced secondary screening, if warranted. They also stated that anyone found to have falsified the health information would be removed from the ship at the next possible opportunity and could face legal consequences (no specifics listed).

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/plan/Health-Advisory-and-Travel-Safety-Procedures.pdf

3 hours ago, 48traveler said:

We are supposed to cruise in September after getting May sailing cancelled  Why when you click on news on this web site and then on Carnival it still says over 70 letter required which will not work for us although we are very healthy. I could swear a while back I read somewhere that Carnival caught a lot of flack over it and it is not required. Please forgive me if this has been hashed over as I tried searching and cannot find the old posts.

Carnival will deny boarding to all guests 70 years of age or older unless they have a letter from their physician confirming they are fit to sail. Additionally, all guests will be asked if they have been hospitalized in the past two months for or if they have a history of chronic or severe medical conditions. The CDC defines chronic conditions as an illness persisting for a long time or constantly recurring, such as diabetes, heart, kidney or lung disease. Additional severe medical conditions include: suppressed immunity  or if the person requires oxygen for any reason. Guests with chronic or severe medical conditions will not be allowed to sail.

I've asked a few Customer service agents this when rebooking our next cruise for my wife's grandparents.. all of them said they have no information on a fit to sail letter being required at all, two of the three said they think it was just required on a few cruises when the coronavirus started spreading.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Of course you would not see difficulty, you arent affected. Not that it's your business but it's been a while since I saw a doctor, my last 2 gp quit. So I don't have a doctor who knows me or has any of my history. Now the virus hit. I was going to try and go but now waiting for gp office to get better and many dont take new patients. The emergency places, took my dad to 2 and said they dont take anyone with medicare, evidently medicare doesnt pay well. .. now add in doing it within 7 days of your cruise. No bother, easy peasy. No wonder they call your age the me me me generation.

I'm well aware older generation has more risk, duh again. My parents are 94 and 101 and scared to death. Anyone who says over should have to have a letter obviously isnt affected, let the other guy do it, not me me me. 

I hear your generation mostly gets their news from headlines, they rarely take the time to read to the 3rd and 4th paragraph of news.

Telling me I'm more at risk isnt exactly news. If im willing to sign something releasing carnival from harm, let it be my choice not you. Good for you a rn. I'm also very well educated and let it be my choice. I havent been anywhere in over 2 months except food and meds. For me and my elderly parents, wear my mask and take precautions... I will be careful on the cruise. 

I've even googled trying to volunteer for vaccine trials. Doing what I can to get vaccine as soon as i can be safe. I knew when you posted you had to be young.

PS most people my age say no way would their doctor sign such a letter, but of course you dont get that either. I'm willing to sign a release to carnival. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, jperry2011 said:

I've asked a few Customer service agents this when rebooking our next cruise for my wife's grandparents.. all of them said they have no information on a fit to sail letter being required at all, two of the three said they think it was just required on a few cruises when the coronavirus started spreading.. 

It was put to rest. As I said above it comes and goes. IT malfunction

I'm sure cruiselines know most seniors wouldnt cruise with them again. I'd find another way to vacation. Seniors are their bread and butter who doesnt have to worry about 2 week vacation time, can do 5 to 10 cruises a year they would lose.

Imagine having this hanging over your head to get it signed within a week before you cruise. I wouldn't book and either would most seniors. Carnival knows they would lose a large part of their cruisers. So do other lines. No doctor would sign and take on the liability. 

I do expect to sign my life away liability wise on a new health form when I board, releasing carnival too.

Yes it's not in faqs anywhere. I've looked.

Sorry I got mad. Being told it would be easy to get a doctor to sign off  set me off,, but I shouldnt have reacted. Sorry. Good night.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Of course you would not see difficulty, you arent affected. Not that it's your business but it's been a while since I saw a doctor, my last 2 gp quit. So I don't have a doctor who knows me or has any of my history. Now the virus hit. I was going to try and go but now waiting for gp office to get better and many dont take new patients. The emergency places, took my dad to 2 and said they dont take anyone with medicare, evidently medicare doesnt pay well. .. now add in doing it within 7 days of your cruise. No bother, easy peasy. No wonder they call your age the me me me generation.

I'm well aware older generation has more risk, duh again. My parents are 94 and 101 and scared to death. Anyone who says over should have to have a letter obviously isnt affected, let the other guy do it, not me me me. 

I hear your generation mostly gets their news from headlines, they rarely take the time to read to the 3rd and 4th paragraph of news.

Telling me I'm more at risk isnt exactly news. If im willing to sign something releasing carnival from harm, let it be my choice not you. Good for you a rn. I'm also very well educated and let it be my choice. I havent been anywhere in over 2 months except food and meds. For me and my elderly parents, wear my mask and take precautions... I will be careful on the cruise. 

I've even googled trying to volunteer for vaccine trials. Doing what I can to get vaccine as soon as i can be safe. I knew when you posted you had to be young.

PS most people my age say no way would their doctor sign such a letter, but of course you dont get that either. I'm willing to sign a release to carnival. 

Agree 100%. Maybe nurses should have to have a letter signed as they are in contact with covid patients more than others!

• Like 1

WhaleTail- I have been an RN for 45 years and I understand your medical perspective, yes people over 60 are more likely to have a reduced immune system.  However, as a 30 something, what you don’t understand is social reality of the aging adult.  It’s not your fault, you’re young and life has not yet gifted you with that understanding, hopefully it will.

We were to have sailed on 3/29 and received the fitness to sail form and even my Internest daughter wouldn’t sign it, in spite of DH and I being in excellent health.

No physician, especially now that most work for corporate groups, Is going to assume the liability trap of that form.  

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom
  • Like 6

Maybe nurses should have to have a letter signed as they are in contact with covid patients more than others!

I think anyone who has been in contact with someone who had Covid-19 in the previous 14 days will not be allowed to sail. That was listed in the new Princess requirements.

11 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I do expect to sign my life away liability wise on a new health form when I board, releasing carnival too.

I expect all cruise lines to modify their cruise contract to address something similar to this (that does not conflict with any maritime or other laws I am not aware about), which would apply to all passengers. 

16 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Since you say you think this signed letter is so easily obtained... I propose that all those who are out working and mixing with people on a daily basis should be the ones required to get a signed letter.

Clearly its nurses and the like much more likely to be exposed to covid and bring it onboard. 

... not us folks who have sheltered in place the last 2 months.

I'm sure easily obtained that you are not a risk to others letter will be np for you to get signed. 

I am over 70, but feel/act like 10 years younger. 🙂   "IF" I have to get a letter "again," like I did for our March 15th that was cancelled out, at least "this time," I will know I have to have a letter.