Jump to content

Does your job permit cruises or travel?


Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...

So update on travel ban and quarantine.

 

I am back to work as of last Sunday and we also have a quarantine rule in effect for any air travel. My husbands job rescinded the travel ban for 1 week, saw the escalating numbers and brought it back. Now the Dept of Defense has a 100 mile travel limit so even if my husbands company changes again, he can’t go anywhere. We have a friends wedding in October that we may have to cancel. I can’t take 3 weeks off. 😩 In positive news, we are considering buying a boat! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2020 at 6:33 PM, tallnthensome said:

Yes, 14 day quarantine if you fly or cruise. I am flying in August But they won’t know that nor know where I am going ...... not playing that game.  None of their business ....

It one thing for you to take the risk, which i am all for . But another if you risk your whole floor of coworkers.   Im sorry i cant salute this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

It one thing for you to take the risk, which i am all for . But another if you risk your whole floor of coworkers.   Im sorry i cant salute this. 

I don’t work in an office setting but it no longer matters. Domestic flights are permitted. Only international international flying Is banned now so that is good. Even cruising was removed from the banned list . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

I don’t work in an office setting but it no longer matters. Domestic flights are permitted. Only international international flying Is banned now so that is good. Even cruising was removed from the banned list . 

Then that puts a whole different paint job on things.  carry on buddy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Hey all! 
 
I haven’t posted in awhile and honestly coming to the boards made me so sad. I had wanted to cruise 3 times this year instead of the just once a year that we normally do. 

Anyways, my husband works for a company that won’t allow him to cruise (for the foreseeable future) and if we fly anywhere or are in Contact with anyone that has recently flown, he has to quarantine for 2 weeks. I understand where they are coming from, and they are all essential employees. I was wondering if anyone is dealing with something like this? 
 
We live right outside of Seattle and are still sheltering in place so I know it’s going to be different for everyone. 


My som lives in Southern CA. He had reservation to fly to see us the end of April and was told he would need to quarantine for 2 weeks before he could come back to work


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, retired714 said:

 


My som lives in Southern CA. He had reservation to fly to see us the end of April and was told he would need to quarantine for 2 weeks before he could come back to work


Sent from my iPad using Forums

 

I’m sorry! My in-laws were hoping to fly in and see us for 4th of July but they also would need to quarantine and they just can’t afford to take that kind of time off. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been WFM since early March, 3 months and counting.  Up at 6:30 and in my office almost don't get out till 6pm except lunch.  So I can work from anywhere with a fast  internet connection; home office, hotel, beach, cruise cabin.  We aren't even considering going back to office or travel till Q4.

 

So if and when I find it interesting I'd go wherever, but right now cruising is at the bottom.   That is a petri dish of disease, ain't going to happen, funny it was just a year ago I did the Greek Islands out of Venice, for the 4th of July who'd have thought.  This year we have Whistler/Canada booked for a three bedroom and plan/hope they open the border, but looking pretty low likely hood, so same office 10 hours look like, LOL

 

 

BADA42FF-85FA-4D71-9A5A-C7FABD7DE65F.jpeg

Edited by chipmaster
Link to post
Share on other sites

I work in healthcare and I’m currently booked on a cruise for August that most likely won’t be happening,just waiting for the announcement any day now. I was just told last week that if I travel internationally I’m supposed to quarantine upon my return for 14 days. I could travel domestically with no quarantine restrictions other than the fact I live in CT and pretty much banned at this time to travel to any domestic state.....Here’s the kicker, but I was told I have been approved for my week vacation but not approved for the quarantine! I mean I have enough PTO, but it seems like my quarantine would be subject to not being approved though it’s the company’s requirement. If they are telling me to stay out, then this should be approved. I’m willing to return to work but because they won’t let me, why would it fall back on me?

I’m just curious what if I didn’t travel and got exposed in my own area let’s hypothetically say in August, I’d be required to quarantine regardless. Other co workers have requested the following weeks off on my return. I was told that was another reason I would not be “approved “ for a 14 day quarantine.

Ironically I have had exposure through my work and was told I was at low risk exposure and therefore didn’t need to quarantine. I’m so confused, fed up and I explained to my employer that this cruise has been booked and paid for in full for months and I’m in penalty so close to traveling. Only way I’m not going is if the cruise line cancels on us. I thought by August this would have gotten easier rather than more complicated by the days going forward.


Sent from my iPad using Forums

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Sweetnspicy said:

So update on travel ban and quarantine.

 

I am back to work as of last Sunday and we also have a quarantine rule in effect for any air travel. My husbands job rescinded the travel ban for 1 week, saw the escalating numbers and brought it back. Now the Dept of Defense has a 100 mile travel limit so even if my husbands company changes again, he can’t go anywhere. We have a friends wedding in October that we may have to cancel. I can’t take 3 weeks off. 😩 In positive news, we are considering buying a boat! 

From owning a boat and from others, best day of having one is day you buy and day you sell.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Update:  As of July 1st we will be allowed to take our scheduled vacation time at work.  Buuuut since Canada's borders are closed and some provincial borders within Canada are also closed there isn't going to be any travelling happening.  

 

Looks like my vacations this year will be local.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Pat.D said:

Update:  As of July 1st we will be allowed to take our scheduled vacation time at work.  Buuuut since Canada's borders are closed and some provincial borders within Canada are also closed there isn't going to be any travelling happening.  

 

Looks like my vacations this year will be local.

Can you go to PEI for some lobster?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dexddd said:

Can you go to PEI for some lobster?

 

Nope, PEI is closed to non essential travel... also the border between Quebec and New Brunswick is also closed to tourism.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest issue going forward is that none of my direct reports want to schedule their vacation time right now due to the travel restrictions, uneasiness with possible furloughs, etc.  They each have at least 3 weeks, and one as much as six weeks, of vacation on the books that must be taken by Dec 31st or they lose it.

It may be a very empty place come December.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

My biggest issue going forward is that none of my direct reports want to schedule their vacation time right now due to the travel restrictions, uneasiness with possible furloughs, etc.  They each have at least 3 weeks, and one as much as six weeks, of vacation on the books that must be taken by Dec 31st or they lose it.

It may be a very empty place come December.


I have a similar issue. Our company is very generous with PTO but we can only roll over 40hours. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

My biggest issue going forward is that none of my direct reports want to schedule their vacation time right now due to the travel restrictions, uneasiness with possible furloughs, etc.  They each have at least 3 weeks, and one as much as six weeks, of vacation on the books that must be taken by Dec 31st or they lose it.

It may be a very empty place come December.

 

3 minutes ago, Sweetnspicy said:


I have a similar issue. Our company is very generous with PTO but we can only roll over 40hours. 

Our company instituted a "must take 5 days" of vacation time through May since business was slow and everyone could see that same issue on the horizon for the end of the year since there is a limit to what may be "carried over" too.

There were exceptions - particularly if you had less than 2 weeks banked time or if you put in for specific dates over the remainder of summer and fall.  But the goal is to keep the business fully staffed and functional between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

 

We have a Christmas cruise scheduled on the Joy.  Our newly adopted company's policy requires an additional 14 calendar days self quarantine if you cruise (or do any international travel).   I will gladly spend December 28 through January 6th telecommuting like I've done since March, if I can have a safe and fun cruise the week before.

 

Stay healthy everyone!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GA Dave said:

going forward is that none of my direct reports want to schedule their vacation time right

 

We have a bit of the opposite here, my co-workers are tired and want a break - even if it means just staying home and mowing the lawn or looking at the tomatoes grow. :) 

 

Things like seniority, schedules and vacation time are cast in stone with our Collective Agreement, but due to the emergency measures vacations were suspended for 4 months and now there aren't enough weeks for everyone to re-schedule over 2000 peoples missed weeks before the end of the year.  Almost everyone takes 1 or 2 weeks in march or april to escape winter up here.

 

The city and the firefighters will have to come to an agreement about what to do about this situation... allow more FF's to vacation simultaneously? (coverage issues creating expensive overtime) allow FF's to move those weeks to 2021 or maybe cash out unused weeks? (both unprecedented and iffy by local labour laws as some weeks must be taken) 

 

I have to admit it's an interesting and unusual situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nclcruise1415 said:

I’m an essential employee who works in an environment where positive patients are cared for. We do not have a policy regarding quarantine post international or domestic travel. 

That is because the departments of public health excludes healthcare workers from the quarantine after travel rule.

Edited by hladygirl
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2020 at 2:11 PM, tallnthensome said:

I don’t work in an office setting but it no longer matters. Domestic flights are permitted. Only international international flying Is banned now so that is good. Even cruising was removed from the banned list . 

 

Whitmer still won’t like it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Alberto Aliberti, President of Atlas Ocean Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...