Crystal Refund Roll Call

27 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I’ve never seen anything from Crystal that states 90 business days - just 90 days - has anyone? 

As I have mentioned before, repeated calls from our TA to Crystal have resulted in statement of "90 business days" by different Crystal agents.  

8 hours ago, Paulchili said:

It is my understanding that if the charge is 3-6 months old you can file a dispute online or phone. Older charges will require paper work to be filled out by customer.

This all may have changed recently with the large volume of COVID claims.

I just went on chase.com to check.  As of today, I can dispute transactions on Feb 21, 2020 but on Feb 20, 2020, that option for online dispute is gone.  So a little bit over 3 months.  

Airlines and cruise that I disputed recently were on longer than 3 months, but no paper work required.  There is a shift at chase it seems.  This is another reason why people should not even consider the 90 days at all.  The credit card companies can stop going to bat for you at any moment.  

8 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

I just went on chase.com to check.  As of today, I can dispute transactions on Feb 21, 2020 but on Feb 20, 2020, that option for online dispute is gone.  So a little bit over 3 months.  

Airlines and cruise that I disputed recently were on longer than 3 months, but no paper work required.  There is a shift at chase it seems.  This is another reason why people should not even consider the 90 days at all.  The credit card companies can stop going to bat for you at any moment.  

I went a step further and called Chase this morning. Spoke to the dispute department. You have to meet a few criteria for a chargeback time wise. You have 538 days from the time of the first disputed payment and 90 days from the date the cruise was supposed to sail. This can not be done online, but can be done over the phone with a Chase agent from that department.

23 hours ago, Benita said:

Ours was one of the early Crystal cancellations. We took the cash refund of 100% of what we paid. Crystal gave us a 25% FCC as well. The FCC came through immediately. I did not even bring up the FCC when I gave you my info as it has no bearing on the refund. 

Benita,

You say your" FCC came through immediatly,"

Where did you see it ?

Sue

43 minutes ago, shamansue said:

Benita,

You say your" FCC came through immediatly,"

Where did you see it ?

Sue

My travel agent received an email from Crystal right after the cancellation was announced. It had our booking number and the amounts.

3 hours ago, Benita said:

I went a step further and called Chase this morning. Spoke to the dispute department. You have to meet a few criteria for a chargeback time wise. You have 538 days from the time of the first disputed payment and 90 days from the date the cruise was supposed to sail. This can not be done online, but can be done over the phone with a Chase agent from that department.

PSA:

Do not book anything in 2022 or 2023, you will not be able to dispute at that time as it will be way past the 538 days.  

If you have March/April cruises that got cancelled and you're waiting for refund, dispute now as it is close to 90 days from the sailing dates.  

If you have March/April, and you don't want to get a refund and apply the FCC to future cruise, and future cruise got cancelled, you will be screwed!!!!!  

Thanks, Benita.  Wonder if Chase gonna change their terms since this is not really public information.  

Edited by kent9xxx1
8 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I’ve never seen anything from Crystal that states 90 business days - just 90 days - has anyone? 

Their 90-day processing time was posted on March 18, and is still the most recent policy as far as I can tell:

https://www.crystalcruises.com/corona-virus-health-advisory/issuance-of-cruise-refunds

It says "it may take up to 90 days from the day of cancellation for them to be issued to guests." No reference to business days.

I wonder if there is a way for you to get a lot more data so that you can do some analysis, including:

-length of wait for a refund as a function of the date of request

-average length of wait for already refunded vs. still waiting.

2 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I wonder if there is a way for you to get a lot more data so that you can do some analysis, including:

-length of wait for a refund as a function of the date of request

-average length of wait for already refunded vs. still waiting.

All the data is in the spreadsheet.  If anyone wants to do a statistical analysis and share with the group, that might be interesting.  I certainly have no objection.  However, this is neither randomized nor controlled, so any conclusions would not be scientifically significant. 

I don't see a way to get additional data without an inside informant, and somehow I don't see that happening.  Crystal could publish that sort of summary information, but that also seems pretty unlikely.  The cold hard facts would probably not enhance their image.  And right now their resources are probably better used processing refunds rather than sharing statistics.

25 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

All the data is in the spreadsheet.  If anyone wants to do a statistical analysis and share with the group, that might be interesting.  I certainly have no objection.  However, this is neither randomized nor controlled, so any conclusions would not be scientifically significant. 

I don't see a way to get additional data without an inside informant, and somehow I don't see that happening.  Crystal could publish that sort of summary information, but that also seems pretty unlikely.  The cold hard facts would probably not enhance their image.  And right now their resources are probably better used processing refunds rather than sharing statistics.

I think what you have is great, but you don't have enough data points to do any meaningful analysis of the kinds I was suggesting.  Also, there must be selection bias in your data, since it only includes data available to those who frequent this place and I have no idea if someone who received his/her refunds super quick would be reading this thread...or the reverse might be true...as one waits longer and longer, he/she may just give up and tries to forget about it.   But I think if we can collect a very large data set, even a cursory analysis might light a fire under Crystal's behind, regardless of the statistical and scientific validity of the analysis.  I'm just thinking of the ways let Crystal and other travel companies know that we are watching them very closely and to discourage them from further slow-walking the refund process.

We know Crystal is reading Cruise Critic, because they do occasionally comment on other threads.  Of course, they may not be reading the threads about refunds.  If they were, and if it were POSSIBLE to "light a fire under Crystal's behind," then it should already be fully ignited.

This is why I am still firmly convinced that their lethargy is caused by a cash flow issue.  They have had plenty of time now to add/reassign additional personnel to handle refunds, so understaffing is also due to the cash flow problem and not the primary cause.  They are losing many customers over it.  Either they don't realize this or they just can't fix it.

I hope that they are able to start sailing again soon, and to do it safely.

2 hours ago, SusieQft said:

We know Crystal is reading Cruise Critic, because they do occasionally comment on other threads.  Of course, they may not be reading the threads about refunds.  If they were, and if it were POSSIBLE to "light a fire under Crystal's behind," then it should already be fully ignited.

This is why I am still firmly convinced that their lethargy is caused by a cash flow issue.  They have had plenty of time now to add/reassign additional personnel to handle refunds, so understaffing is also due to the cash flow problem and not the primary cause.  They are losing many customers over it.  Either they don't realize this or they just can't fix it.

I hope that they are able to start sailing again soon, and to do it safely.

Agree with this. I’m still waiting and am at the 100 day mark, I think. Two other couples who are not on these boards were sailing with us as first time Crystal cruisers (on our recommendation, ugh) and they have received nothing yet either.

We’ve all been patient. And for the first time in a while we reached out this week to the TA who booked all of us. She is getting nowhere with Crystal. 

6 hours ago, sierrafloridacruiser said:

Agree with this. I’m still waiting and am at the 100 day mark, I think. Two other couples who are not on these boards were sailing with us as first time Crystal cruisers (on our recommendation, ugh) and they have received nothing yet either.

We’ve all been patient. And for the first time in a while we reached out this week to the TA who booked all of us. She is getting nowhere with Crystal. 

Bet, my TA gets the same.  It's not a fast process, but your CC may be your friend.

Edited by flyingshoes

I cancelled our 9/20/20 Serenity cruise to Canada/NE on 3/13/20 and received confirmation the same day.  It was paid in full.  Yesterday our travel agent called Crystal for status on our refund since it is over 90 days.  She was told they were sorry, but it will take "a couple of more weeks" to receive our refund.

I hope I am wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this.

Susie,

RE:  Your helpful, informative Refund Spreadsheet

My deposit (less $500) was actually refunded by Crystal on June 17, not May 16.

My cancellation occurred on Mar 11.  Since it was a week before Crystal’s 90-day proviso was announced, my TA sent me their Payment Confirmation, stating “the refund has been processed but can sometimes take between 7 to 10 working days to appear on your card”.

A week later, when Crystal’s 90-day proviso was announced, l checked with my TA, and he mentioned Crystal’s heavy a workload and backlog.  He doubted it would take longer than 30 to 60 days.  Around the 45th day, I checked again.  My TA was unable to provide any assurances.  Based on Genting’s reputation, he felt Crystal had a disarrayed workload problem, rather than a cash-flow problem.

I contacted my CC dispute center and sent them my Payment Confirmation.  I thought they received my credit from Crystal on May 16. Yesterday, I learned that they had given me a conditional credit.  The payment problem was actually resolved on June 17.

Jim9310😄

Edited by Jim9310
reduce font size
On 5/27/2020 at 7:08 PM, csto said:

Sail Date - Dec. 22, 2020 - Cancel Date: March 5, 2020 - refund requested

Sail Date - Dec. 22, 2020 - Cancel Date: April 23, 2020 - refund requested (same as above but different family members cancelled at different times - I paid for both)

Sail Date - May 19, 2020 - Cancelled by Crystal March 18, 2020 - refund requested

No refunds as of 5/27/2020.

Thanks

Chris

Update:  March 5, 2020 above refunded in full on day 100.  June 12th refunded and posted to CC June 16th.

7 hours ago, Jim9310 said:

Based on Genting’s reputation, he felt Crystal had a disarrayed workload problem, rather than a cash-flow problem.

I'll take that as good news!  Having a disarrayed workload problem is better than having a cash flow problem. LOL.

10 hours ago, Jim9310 said:

Based on Genting’s reputation, he felt Crystal had a disarrayed workload problem, rather than a cash-flow problem.

MIGHTYQUINN:  I'll take that as good news!  Having a disarrayed workload problem is better than having a cash flow problem. LOL.

With so little timely financial information available, Genting’s reputation certainly is an elusive concept.

The Genting Group is rooted in Southeast Asia, originating in the overseas Chinese culture.  It appears to be endowed with superb professional GUANSXI. 

Guanxi loosely translates as long-term personal connections, relationships or social networks. It implies profound trust and mutual obligations between parties, and it operates on personal, familial, social, business, and political levels. Having good, guanxi enhances one’s influence and ability to get things done.

A 2018 Forbes Magazine article explains the importance of GUANXI in the Chinese business world. 

See:   https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelcwenderoth/2018/05/16/how-a-better-understanding-of-guanxi-can-improve-your-business-in-china/#63bab13d5d85

Edited by Jim9310
clarity

Hello,

Our May 31 cruise was cancelled on April 2. Requested full refund the same day. Received confirmation on April 7:

"Per below the reservations have been cancelled. Refunds will be issued to the original forms of payment."

Still waiting. 

P.S. We are currently booked on two Crystal cruises for 2022, with 25% deposits. If we don't get a refund for 2020 cruise within 90 days, we will be definitely cancelling the 2020 cruises and opening a dispute with the credit card company for all three. This is not how loyal customers have to be treated. 

Sorry Crystal. We had a great time with you, but we will be taking our business elsewhere. If Gate 1 can issue a refund after one week, I'm sure you could do it too.

Edited by ak1004

I spoke to a Crystal agent yesterday (day 106) to, once again, inquire about our refund which was cancelled on March 4 and supposedly processed on March 16.  After a long hold while the agent checked, I was told they are now refunding March 1-17 cancellations.  He took my name and phone number and said he will call me when they send the funds to my bank.  I was surprised he said he would call but I cannot imagine that will actually happen.  I'll see what next week brings but my guess is I'll be filing a credit card dispute.  We're also due our deposit for a September cruise which we cancelled on April 1 so we're at day 79 for that one.  I'm more concerned about the June 7 cruise refund since it was paid in full.  

Carole

1 minute ago, docmark said:

It appears that 90 "regular' days is NOT being met, as I have repeatedly "quoted" Crystal agents,  stating "90 business days" appears to be the "hopeful' deadline.

Yesterday I was told 90 days.  On the prior inquiry,  I was told 90 business days.   Crystal is open for booking 7 days a week and do not close on weekends so their business days are the 90 days.

Carole

3 minutes ago, caroak said:

Yesterday I was told 90 days.  On the prior inquiry,  I was told 90 business days.   Crystal is open for booking 7 days a week and do not close on weekends so their business days are the 90 days.

Carole

I hope your interpretation is right Carole…and "open for booking" also applies "open for refund" !!.. In your case they have passed the 90 days obviously