Crystal Refund Roll Call

5 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Many of you are talking about getting wonderful results from credit card disputes.  So far, it sounds like most of those are after waiting 90 days or close to that.  My TA just informed me that generally when people enter a dispute and it has been less than the "promised" 90 days, that the credit card company finds in favor of the cruise line and cancels the dispute because they are not yet really "due".  She did cite one specific example of this happening on another cruise line, and caused the ultimate refund to be delayed even more than it probably would have been without the dispute.  She did not have a similar case with Crystal, but was of the opinion that this would be likely on Crystal also.

So I have a question:  Have any of you who have entered a dispute within the first month  after the refund request had Crystal respond by promptly issuing a refund?  If and when that happens, or if your dispute is resolved against you, please let us know.

I cancelled the cruise on 4/21 and asked for my deposit back.

I filed a dispute with Citi on 6/27 - a little over 60 days (wasn't the original promise 60 days?)

The credit from Crystal appeared on my CC on 7/15 - less than 90 days from original cancellation. It's not finalized as the temporary credit has not been reversed yet (temporary credit was for the full amount of deposit) but the refund is exactly what I expected - deposit minus $200 X 2 

They charged you an admin fee for a cruise that never sailed?? I understand that you were the one who cancelled, but at that time all travel restrictions were already in place. This is just unbelievable.

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

They charged you an admin fee for a cruise that never sailed?? I understand that you were the one who cancelled, but at that time all travel restrictions were already in place. This is just unbelievable.

Why? The OP was outside the final payment date on a cruise that was (maybe still is, can't remember the date) expected to sail and it was a customer-initiated cancellation. In that scenario any penalties apply, which in this case was the $200.00/person Admin fee. Even if the cruise is subsequently cancelled by the cruise line, in which case a full refund would apply, they will not retroactively change an already cancelled booking and refund the cancellation penalties that applied. This is standard practice of all cruise I have had to deal with so far.

Edited by Roland4

As I understand it, at least the. “Administrative fee” that is not refunded is transferrable to a future booking, booked within 1 year of the date of cancellation.  So some solace there provided Crystal does get through this.  If I ever get the refundable portion of my deposit back I will likely book something shortly before my 1 yr cancellation anniversary if they appear to be still in business.  As for my second deposit for the Serenity October b2b, thankfully I am just out the $200 p.p. deposit/non refundable amount which I was told repeatedly can also be rolled forward to a future booking.   

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

The cruise was to be in Jan 2021.

Have no idea if it has been cancelled by Crystal or not.

34 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

Why? The OP was outside the final payment date on a cruise that was (maybe still is, can't remember the date) expected to sail and it was a customer-initiated cancellation. In that scenario any penalties apply, which in this case was the $200.00/person Admin fee. Even if the cruise is subsequently cancelled by the cruise line, in which case a full refund would apply, they will not retroactively change an already cancelled booking and refund the cancellation penalties that applied. This is standard practice of all cruise I have had to deal with so far.

Under normal circumstances, I would agree with you. But he cancelled on 4/21 when it was already clear that there will be no cruising for at least the next few months. In fact, a government travel advisory was already in place. Should he be punished for following the government guidelines? 

37 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

This is standard practice of all cruise I have had to deal with so far.

Do you mean on Crystal or all cruise lines.

Oceania charges no "administrative fee" (aka penalty) if cancelled outside of the limit for that cruise (length, cabin cat, etc)

33 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Do you mean on Crystal or all cruise lines.

Oceania charges no "administrative fee" (aka penalty) if cancelled outside of the limit for that cruise (length, cabin cat, etc)

Actually I was referring to admin fees/cancellation penalties. Where a client initiates a cancellation before the cruise line cancels a sailing, if it is within penalty, then those penalties apply and, so far, all the lines I have had to deal with have collected them, and refused to refund them, when the cruise was subsequently cancelled by the line. For the most part this happened in the early stages of the pandemic when people were "panicking" and cancelling bookings before there was a clear picture of how the situation would evolve. 

46 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Under normal circumstances, I would agree with you. But he cancelled on 4/21 when it was already clear that there will be no cruising for at least the next few months. In fact, a government travel advisory was already in place. Should he be punished for following the government guidelines? 

As noted in the post above yours, the cruise was for January 2021. While I tend to think (though I hope I will be wrong!) there is little likelihood there will be cruising in January, at this point the cruise is still a go and there is no way to know what, if any, government travel restrictions will be in place that far out.

30 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

As noted in the post above yours, the cruise was for January 2021. While I tend to think (though I hope I will be wrong!) there is little likelihood there will be cruising in January, at this point the cruise is still a go and there is no way to know what, if any, government travel restrictions will be in place that far out.

You are right, that post was posted at the same time as I was typing mine. In this case I agree with you.

38 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

Actually I was referring to admin fees/cancellation penalties. Where a client initiates a cancellation before the cruise line cancels a sailing, if it is within penalty, then those penalties apply and, so far, all the lines I have had to deal with have collected them, and refused to refund them, when the cruise was subsequently cancelled by the line

Then you have not dealt with Oceania.

I cancelled three Oceania cruises for this Fall (also in April) - for cruises sailing earlier than Crystal which was for Jan 21 - and had to pay NO penalty for any of the Oceania cruises as I was outside their penalty phase.

With Crystal it was made clear to me that no matter when I cancelled the cruise (even a week after booking and 2 years ahead of the cruise) there would be an "administrative fee" (penalty) for cancellation.

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Then you have not dealt with Oceania.

I cancelled three Oceania cruises for this Fall (also in April) - for cruises sailing earlier than Crystal which was for Jan 21 - and had to pay NO penalty for any of the Oceania cruises as I was outside their penalty phase.

With Crystal it was made clear to me that no matter when I cancelled the cruise (even a week after booking and 2 years ahead of the cruise) there would be an "administrative fee" (penalty) for cancellation.

You are correct, I have not, but that is beside the point. Oceania does not have admin/cancel fees on most cruises (there are some with special cancel conditions) which is why I specified "if it is within penalty, then those penalties apply." Crystal has had the Admin Fee in place for about 18 months or so, and unlike other lines that have them, they do allow you to apply the amount against a new booking made within one year of cancellation.

We were booked on a river cruise leaving March 27. ,Amy emails and  many calls to Crystal from us and our travel agent. They told us a few months ago to expect a refund in 2 to 3 weeks and of course we have nothing. We are very very frustrated and I would never ever sale on Crystal  Now and I think there responses and their lack of communication are despicable

53 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

Crystal has had the Admin Fee in place for about 18 months or so, and unlike other lines that have them, they do allow you to apply the amount against a new booking made within one year of cancellation.

Can the Admin Fee FCC only be applied to a new booking?  I am about to incur one, and was planning to apply it to an existing booking.

While I am not positive Susie, my agent has indicated that we can apply our admin fee as well as awaited for deposit refund to our current deposit on the October '20 Serenity sailing we have a deposit on.  I would check with Crystal directly or if you have an agent who is really on top of things and truly knows how things work.  Personally our agent appears to be more of a good order taker so i don't bank on what she tells me being true.  Case in point, in writing no less she said the October $400 deposit was refundable which is flat our incorrect.   At the time of booking she indicated I could roll everything forward - the admin fee and rest of the deposit on my cancelled cruise, but indicated it appeared to be an all or nothing roll over.  Ie I couldn't just have Crystal use $400 of my $1,000 "Admin fee" from my cancelled cruise to make the deposit on the October sailings.  We already had doubts about getting our refund so opted to do a new charge for the October deposit rather than roll everything from the cancellation forward and then if we cancelled the October sailing once again go to the back of the line hoping for a refund.  Pros and cons to whatever way we handled it.   By now of course I just wish I hadn't made the deposit on the October sailings.  What is done is done.

55 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

Can the Admin Fee FCC only be applied to a new booking?  I am about to incur one, and was planning to apply it to an existing booking.

Per the Crystal website, it appears the Admin Fee FCC can only be used towards the fare of a new cruise booking.  Of course, Crystal may be more accommodating on a case-by-case basis for post-covid cancellations.  Here's the current language:

Administration fee, applicable to all reservations for 2020 cruises and beyond, is issued in the form of a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) that can be applied toward the cruise fare of a new cruise booking made within 12 months of the cancellation date. The FCC is non-transferable, non-refundable and subject to change at anytime.

1 hour ago, SusieQft said:

We’ve done that before - I believe they can be moved to existing bookings 

The other important thing to remember is that FCPs (apparently the correct term for them) are only valid for 12 months - so while you can move them from voyage to voyage after cancellations then will eventually expire. Now it just means you have to actually apply them to a booking within that 12 months even though the booking might be for a cruise out in say 2023 

Off to check my online banking for Crystal refunds - who am I kidding - I’ve already checked today and there’s nada - just like always....

3 hours ago, Roland4 said:

and unlike other lines that have them, they do allow you to apply the amount against a new booking made within one year of cancellation.

Once again you are making sweeping generalizations that are rarely correct.

We had a $100 cancellation fee on each of 2 Viking river cruises and they can be applied to future cruises.

Ditto for American cruise lines - our cancellation penalty can be used towards a future booking.

Had we been in the penalty phase for Oceania, that penalty too could be used for future bookings.

For all I know that may be the case for the majority of cruise lines rather than only for Crystal.

Just to add - last year I wouldn't give this a second thought. Surely I could find a future cruise that I liked and could use my FCC/FCP. Now it's an entirely different world.

We don't know a lot of things - when will the current pandemic end; will there be another one and if so when; what will the cruise lines be like post COVID (if they survive)? Will there be an effective vaccine/drug for COVID? Will the cruises be more restrictive, more expensive?

What will my health be in a couple of years, etc, etc, etc

Better to have that money in my bank that potentially have to leave it with the cruise line.

Edited by Paulchili
22 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Once again you are making sweeping generalizations that are rarely correct.

We had a $100 cancellation fee on each of 2 Viking river cruises and they can be applied to future cruises.

Ditto for American cruise lines - our cancellation penalty can be used towards a future booking.

Had we been in the penalty phase for Oceania, that penalty too could be used for future bookings.

For all I know that may be the case for the majority of cruise lines rather than only for Crystal.

Just to add - last year I wouldn't give this a second thought. Surely I could find a future cruise that I liked and could use my FCC/FCP. Now it's an entirely different world.

We don't know a lot of things - when will the current pandemic end; will there be another one and if so when; what will the cruise lines be like post COVID (if they survive)? Will there be an effective vaccine/drug for COVID? Will the cruises be more restrictive, more expensive?

What will my health be in a couple of years, etc, etc, etc

Better to have that money in my bank that potentially have to leave it with the cruise line.

No. actually, based on real world experience. But whatever! 

33 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

No. actually, based on real world experience. But whatever! 

Obviously I am not familiar with the cancellation policies of most cruise lines as I only use a few of them.

Out of curiosity and for my future reference, which cruise line(s) will not allow one to use cancellation penalties toward future cruises?

Edited by Paulchili
3 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

The other important thing to remember is that FCPs (apparently the correct term for them) are only valid for 12 months - so while you can move them from voyage to voyage after cancellations then will eventually expire.

As I understand it, the FCP is only given for the 100% value of a cruise cancelled by Crystal.  The 25% extra FCC when Crystal cancels, the FCC from admin penalties, the 25% FCC in lieu of the 25% penalty after final payment, and the 100% FCC if you cancel under Crystal Confidence before Crystal cancels are all called FCCs.  

So what is the difference between FCP and FCC?  One difference is that the FCP can be split between more than one booking, whereas the FCC can only be applied to a single booking.  Another is (I think) that the FCP can be insured under some insurance policies, and if that is the case it must be insured if you want to maintain a waiver of the exclusion for pre-existing conditions.  But the insurance situation is different in each country, and I don't know if that is true anywhere except in the US.

5 hours ago, SusieQft said:

As I understand it, the FCP is only given for the 100% value of a cruise cancelled by Crystal......, the FCC from admin penalties....... are all called FCCs. 

That's the situation I'm talking about ie I cancelled a deposit - my TA tells me those are FCP's - so who knows for sure (I guess it's something to talk about other than COVID

I don't really care what they're called too much - I just want my other money back for Crystal cancelled cruises and deposits for cruises I've cancelled - it's tsking way too long, Crystal can take care o the FCP's until I decide its safe and appropriate to book another cruise