Crystal Refund Roll Call

5 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

That's the situation I'm talking about ie I cancelled a deposit - my TA tells me those are FCP's - so who knows for sure (I guess it's something to talk about other than COVID

I don't really care what they're called too much - I just want my other money back for Crystal cancelled cruises and deposits for cruises I've cancelled - it's tsking way too long, Crystal can take care o the FCP's until I decide its safe and appropriate to book another cruise

Think of an FCP as YOUR money that you paid, and an FCC as THEIR money that they either created (bonus FCCs) or earned as cancellation penalties. I think this is why an FCP can be split, but an FCC can't.

8 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

That's the situation I'm talking about ie I cancelled a deposit - my TA tells me those are FCP's - so who knows for sure (I guess it's something to talk about other than COVID

I don't really care what they're called too much - I just want my other money back for Crystal cancelled cruises and deposits for cruises I've cancelled - it's tsking way too long, Crystal can take care o the FCP's until I decide its safe and appropriate to book another cruise

You got FCPs for a deposit cancelled before penalty?  Shouldn't you get a refund (eventually) for all except the admin penalty, which would be an FCC.  I think that "normal" FCCs, outside of Crystal Confidence, must be applied to a booking within one year.

If you are only talking about the admin penalty, it does not make a lot of difference, except for the insurance.  They are small enough that spreading it out over more than one booking would not be an issue.

In my opinion, considering the current situation, Crystal could waive the admin fee even for cruises sailing in the next 6-12 months as a gesture of good will. Instead they continue taking money for October 2020 sailings, knowing 100% that those sailings will NOT sail.

As a comparison, here is our experience with Princess.

3 years ago we had a 12 days cruise booking with Princess. 2 weeks before the sailing they called our TA and told her that the cruise is overbooked, and offered us a full refund plus a FREE cruise up to 14 days to anywhere in the world PLUS a FREE upgrade (in our case in was from min suite to suite). They rebooked our flights for free as well.

We took the same itinerary a year later, and while on board, we put $200 deposit for open booking, expiring in 1 year. We totally forgot about it, but Princess automatically extended it last July for another year, and few weeks ago the deposit has been refunded to our account, without us even asking for it.

They could easily say that it expired.

This is what I call a 6 star experience.

Watch and learn Crystal. 

54 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

3 years ago we had a 12 days cruise booking with Princess. 2 weeks before the sailing they called our TA and told her that the cruise is overbooked, and offered us a full refund plus a FREE cruise up to 14 days to anywhere in the world PLUS a FREE upgrade (in our case in was from min suite to suite). They rebooked our flights for free as well.

We had a similar experience on an AMA river cruise. Danube waters were low and our cruise from Budapest to Bucharest could not go with the boat stuck upriver in Vienna. We were offered the same length cruise in the same cabin upriver (with free transfer from Buda to Vienna to those that were in Buda already) AND a full amount of cruise credit for a future AMA cruise -i.e. our next AMA cruise was free.

They also paid for everyone's new flight re bookings home.

Again - that is what 6 star service looks like.

PS they did that for the rest of the season as water levels did not improve.

Definitely builds a lot of Goodwill when companies handle things so well.  Broken or worse virtually destroyed trust is hard to get back.  

ak1004, I am curious why you say "knowing 100% that those sailings will NOT sail".  I saw the CDC extended No Sail order until September 30, but have not seen anything about October yet.   While I am quite skeptical, I am guessing the cruise industry is trying to not have to cancel any more sailings than mandated.   Have I missed something?  I certainly have not received any word from Crystal about October cancellations.  

I too think refunding all monies and not withholding their "admin fee" in these circumstances is the "right" thing to do, but am not surprised to see a company hold onto every penny they can especially if they have serious cash flow issues.   To me that is one of the clues that indeed there likely are serious cash flow problems.   After all, how all this is handled will quite possibly influence what lines people book with in the future.   Some companies will be gainers and others losers.  

I must be brain dead.  Can someone please clarify what FCP stands for.  The P is baffling me.  I've had a hard enough time figuring out when people post "CC" are they meaning Crystal or Credit Card,  as it seems it has been used both ways in these threads.

Thanks! 

7 minutes ago, andiamo76 said:

Definitely builds a lot of Goodwill when companies handle things so well.  Broken or worse virtually destroyed trust is hard to get back.  

ak1004, I am curious why you say "knowing 100% that those sailings will NOT sail".  I saw the CDC extended No Sail order until September 30, but have not seen anything about October yet.   While I am quite skeptical, I am guessing the cruise industry is trying to not have to cancel any more sailings than mandated.   Have I missed something?  I certainly have not received any word from Crystal about October cancellations.  

I too think refunding all monies and not withholding their "admin fee" in these circumstances is the "right" thing to do, but am not surprised to see a company hold onto every penny they can especially if they have serious cash flow issues.   To me that is one of the clues that indeed there likely are serious cash flow problems.   After all, how all this is handled will quite possibly influence what lines people book with in the future.   Some companies will be gainers and others losers.  

I must be brain dead.  Can someone please clarify what FCP stands for.  The P is baffling me.  I've had a hard enough time figuring out when people post "CC" are they meaning Crystal or Credit Card,  as it seems it has been used both ways in these threads.

Thanks! 

While nothing is official yet, I have a very hard time to believe that there will be any sailings in October which is only 2 months away. I understand they don't want to cancel for as long as possible, but they could freeze new reservations, or at least not to ask for a final payment, which will take another 4 months to refund. I'm sorry to say this, but this definitely looks like a Ponzi scheme.

Just for the record, we had only one cruise on Crystal, and we loved it so much that we booked 3 more while on board. But their behavior during the pandemic is beyond outrageous. 

1 hour ago, andiamo76 said:

Thanks! 

An FCP is a Future Cruise Payment. Go up-thread a couple of posts and also back a page for an explanation.

4 hours ago, SusieQft said:

If you are only talking about the admin penalty, it does not make a lot of difference, except for the insurance.  They are small enough that spreading it out over more than one booking would not be an issue.

I am - and multiple admin penalties can add up to a reasonable sum - certainly one I would prefer to have refunded and certainly don’t wish to lose

and this mornings check of my card accounts for refunds reveals......nothing. Oh well I took another ticket in the refund lottery yesterday when I cancelled our planned January trans Pacific (I just can’t see it sailing and our preferred airline is not planning on flying internationally by then)  - but I don’t think that one will be drawn until November...

18 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I am - and multiple admin penalties can add up to a reasonable sum - certainly one I would prefer to have refunded and certainly don’t wish to lose

and this mornings check of my card accounts for refunds reveals......nothing. Oh well I took another ticket in the refund lottery yesterday when I cancelled our planned January trans Pacific (I just can’t see it sailing and our preferred airline is not planning on flying internationally by then)  - but I don’t think that one will be drawn until November...

I am of the mindset that you are far more apt to win with that lottery ticket in November, than you are to cruise in January. 

Regarding withholding those admin fees - is Crystal still paying TA commisions when either passengers cancel or Crystal cancels?  If so, I am happy that my admin fee goes toward my TA.

54 minutes ago, crickette said:

I am of the mindset that you are far more apt to win with that lottery ticket in November, than you are to cruise in January. 

Regarding withholding those admin fees - is Crystal still paying TA commisions when either passengers cancel or Crystal cancels?  If so, I am happy that my admin fee goes toward my TA.

If it is outside of final payment, no. If it is cancelled by the client before it is cancelled by Crystal, no. If it is paid in full AND cancelled by Crystal, the agent commission is protected. This is pretty much standard across the industry at the moment, for which we are very grateful!!

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

I was going to say this must be serious for you to cancel a trans-Pacific, but realistically, I suspect the World Cruise will be cancelled in its entirety. After what we went through this year with the early termination of the WC, and with things still looking bleak in places like India (never mind the mess in the US), I just do not see it happening!

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

Oh well I took another ticket in the refund lottery yesterday when I cancelled our planned January trans Pacific (I just can’t see it sailing and our preferred airline is not planning on flying internationally by then)  - but I don’t think that one will be drawn until November...

😔😪

Nancy

15 hours ago, crickette said:

Your TA does not see any of the admin fee whether you cancel or Crystal cancels.  Crystal keeps the admin fee.

15 hours ago, Roland4 said:

I was going to say this must be serious for you to cancel a trans-Pacific, but realistically, I suspect the World Cruise will be cancelled in its entirety. After what we went through this year with the early termination of the WC, and with things still looking bleak in places like India (never mind the mess in the US), I just do not see it happening!

FWIW, Holland America canceled its 2021 World Cruise, albeit because they sold it's WC ship, the Amsterdam (as well as 3 others from its fleet). At this time, HAL has rescheduled its 2021 WC itinerary to 2022 on the Zaandam.

Rob

11 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Who is buying ships now?

According to the trade paper I saw last week, Fred Olsen Line is buying the Amsterdam and Rotterdam. The buyer(s) for the Maasdam and Veendam were not disclosed.

11 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Who is buying ships now?

They have announced that the Amsterdam and the Rotterdam are going to Fred Olsen, a British line known for purchasing older ships. Those 2 ships are actually newer than the current Fred Olsen ships. I remember being docked next to a Fred Olsen, the passengers were actually older than the ships!! 😆

Patty

8 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

They have announced that the Amsterdam and the Rotterdam are going to Fred Olsen, a British line known for purchasing older ships. Those 2 ships are actually newer than the current Fred Olsen ships. I remember being docked next to a Fred Olsen, the passengers were actually older than the ships!! 😆

Patty

They will also be larger than anything else in the Olsen fleet.

Not surprisingly, just received notice Crystal cancelled the October Serenity sailings.   Now to find out what happens with our $400 deposit paid for that b2b.   Still waiting of course for the other refund from April 2nd.  

Thank you Roland4 for clarifying the FCP.  

On 7/20/2020 at 12:13 PM, Paulchili said:

We had a similar experience on an AMA river cruise. Danube waters were low and our cruise from Budapest to Bucharest could not go with the boat stuck upriver in Vienna. We were offered the same length cruise in the same cabin upriver (with free transfer from Buda to Vienna to those that were in Buda already) AND a full amount of cruise credit for a future AMA cruise -i.e. our next AMA cruise was free.

They also paid for everyone's new flight re bookings home.

Again - that is what 6 star service looks like.

PS they did that for the rest of the season as water levels did not improve.

And we had a Rhine cruise on Viking some time ago. They put us on a bus, fed us at a local place in Heidelberg some indistinguishable mystery food and lied to us about how they would handle the low river when we boarded.  It was so bad! We swore off any river cruises but did do a Tauck River Cruise on the Danube after which was great.

On 7/20/2020 at 3:32 PM, crickette said:

Crystal is not paying commission on cancelled cruise that are being refunded. This is true whether the cruise is cancelled by Cystal or the Guest. 

Edited by katieaz
On 7/20/2020 at 2:12 PM, ak1004 said:

In my opinion, considering the current situation, Crystal could waive the admin fee even for cruises sailing in the next 6-12 months as a gesture of good will. Instead they continue taking money for October 2020 sailings, knowing 100% that those sailings will NOT sail.

As a comparison, here is our experience with Princess.

We took the same itinerary a year later, and while on board, we put $200 deposit for open booking, expiring in 1 year. We totally forgot about it, but Princess automatically extended it last July for another year, and few weeks ago the deposit has been refunded to our account, without us even asking for it.

They could easily say that it expired.

This is what I call a 6 star experience.

Watch and learn Crystal. 

When Princess had to cancel our March 2020 transatlantic cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome, Princess returned our full cruise fare, and in addition, gave us FCCs. That’s six star service. When cruising returns, which it will one day, Princess will be top on my list. As for Crystal, I’ll have to wait to see whether I get my cruise fare reimbursed for the cancelled June 2020 cruise from London to Stockholm. To date, that has not happened, and it’s not a small sum. 

2 hours ago, katieaz said:

Crystal is not paying commission on cancelled cruise that are being refunded. This is true whether the cruise is cancelled by Cystal or the Guest. 

My TA has been told in writing that she will receive the commission from my two cruises that were cancelled by Crystal for which I have requested a refund.  I saw the email from Crystal to her stating such.  I haven't received my refund though and am at 83 days.

~Nancy