Crystal Refund Roll Call

5 hours ago, katieaz said:

Crystal is not paying commission on cancelled cruise that are being refunded. This is true whether the cruise is cancelled by Cystal or the Guest. 

If a cruise was cancelled by Crystal and it had been paid in full  whether an FCC is issued, or a refund is requested, the agent commission is protected and paid in full. Know this from personal experience. If it is cancelled by the client BEFORE it is cancelled by Crystal, no commission is paid.

Cancelled:  March 16

Cruise sailing date: June 7th

Filed dispute with Capital One Venture Card

It is bad enough to be over 120 days without a refund, but what makes it worse is the BS answers one gets when contacting Crystal Customer Service.  Case in point:

Contacted Crystal third week of April and was told that although Crystal is stating it could take up to 90-days, that I could probably expect my refund by mid-May.

Then on June 25th (After 90-days), I called Crystal again and spoke to someone named Eddie in Customer Service.  I gave him all my booking information, he took a minute or two to look up my record & then came back and told me my refund had been processed and should show on my cc within 5 to 8 days.  That was almost a month ago.

Here is a note to whoever is in charge of customer service:

You need to improve your training program.  When you have a client calling regarding an unresolved problem, if your employee doesn't have a confirmed answer they shouldn't give a **** response.  Cardinal rule of customer service, never give a response that has no basis of truth to it.  It could come back and bite you in your penthouse !!!

On 7/21/2020 at 5:15 PM, Texas Tillie said:

They have announced that the Amsterdam and the Rotterdam are going to Fred Olsen, a British line known for purchasing older ships. Those 2 ships are actually newer than the current Fred Olsen ships. I remember being docked next to a Fred Olsen, the passengers were actually older than the ships!! 😆

Patty

Its actually a Norwegian owned, UK based cruise line. They do not have an upper age restriction, but then neither in my experience does Crystal ....

Apparently, to file a dispute, my credit card company (CIBC Visa) is requesting a confirmation email from Crystal that they are going to refund the money, with the exact amount and the last 4 digits of the credit card.

Crystal email just says "We show the refund is still currently pending. As you may be aware Crystal has had to cancel many voyages over the last several months due to the virus. This has resulted in thousands of unanticipated refunds. For this reason, we have advised up to 90 days. However, this is an estimated timeframe and not a guarantee. We can assure that our refund team have been working diligently to process the refunds as quickly as possible but due to the workload the process may take longer than estimated."

They don't mention the amount or the credit card info as requested by Visa to open a dispute.

I did file a complaint with BBB, but my guess is Crystal is just going to ignore it.

We are on day 113 now.

Ak1004,  When our cruise was cancelled, I received an email from Crystal, forwarded from my travel agent, with the information that your credit card company asked for and the word “processed” next to the amount. That was on March 16, the day I asked for the refund. If you used a travel agent, perhaps he or she has received that email. If not, I would suggest calling Crystal and asking for an email with the information.

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Maybe just 7 more days till day 120 - hopefully.

Well, I see in the spreadsheet that many people are at 130+ days and still no refund. Did anyone actually get any money in the last 2-3 weeks?

On 7/20/2020 at 3:48 PM, andiamo76 said:

Definitely builds a lot of Goodwill when companies handle things so well.  Broken or worse virtually destroyed trust is hard to get back.  

ak1004, I am curious why you say "knowing 100% that those sailings will NOT sail".  I saw the CDC extended No Sail order until September 30, but have not seen anything about October yet.   While I am quite skeptical, I am guessing the cruise industry is trying to not have to cancel any more sailings than mandated.   Have I missed something?  I certainly have not received any word from Crystal about October cancellations.  

Well, it's official now - October sailings cancelled. It's safe to assume they knew it while still accepting payments for those sailings.

24 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Well, I see in the spreadsheet that many people are at 130+ days and still no refund. Did anyone actually get any money in the last 2-3 weeks?

As I had mentioned it somewhere here I kind of did get my money back.

After the dispute on my CC I received a full amount of my deposit as a temporary credit.

Shortly after there was a credit directly from Crystal in the amount of deposit minus $400 "admin fee". That makes me think that it is a refund from Crystal.

That said, the dispute is not finalized and the temporary credit has not been reversed yet. However, I think it's just a matter of time when this dispute will be finalized and I can get the money back from the CC company.

4 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

As I had mentioned it somewhere here I kind of did get my money back.

After the dispute on my CC I received a full amount of my deposit as a temporary credit.

Shortly after there was a credit directly from Crystal in the amount of deposit minus $400 "admin fee". That makes me think that it is a refund from Crystal.

That said, the dispute is not finalized and the temporary credit has not been reversed yet. However, I think it's just a matter of time when this dispute will be finalized and I can get the money back from the CC company.

When I got my my money back from Crystal, right after I filed the complaint and Amex gave me a temp credit. I then closed the dispute with Amex.  Easy to do as it is all online.  Temp credit from Amex disappeared and the credit from Crystal stuck.

12 minutes ago, cruisr said:

When I got my my money back from Crystal, right after I filed the complaint and Amex gave me a temp credit. I then closed the dispute with Amex.  Easy to do as it is all online.  Temp credit from Amex disappeared and the credit from Crystal stuck.

My dispute is through Citi.

They told me not to withdraw the dispute - they are supposed to send me some papers for my signature.

I'll hold on for a while.

Edited by Paulchili

Unfortunately, not as easy with CIBC. You cannot file dispute online as far as I know, have to call them, then sell the docs by mail and wait. 

Hopefully it's matter of another 2-3 weeks now.

Update on refunds as of July 23.  Processing will be a MINIMUM of 90 days for the rest of the summer.

https://www.crystalcruises.com/corona-virus-health-advisory/issuance-of-cruise-refunds

Advisory Alert: Processing of Refunds

• Processing & Issuance of Cruise Refunds

UPDATED Thursday, July 23, 2020 1pm EST 

We recognize and understand your frustration as it relates to the processing of your refund. We ask for your patience that, given the voluntary suspension of cruise operations across our entire fleet, we are receiving an unprecedented number of claims that need to be processed individually. This is a manual process and, where our reservation and payment systems can handle a normal refund environment efficiently and smoothly, they were not designed to handle this volume in such a short period of time. All credit card processors are in a similar place and are affected by the sheer volume of refunds, which is further constraining the process and causing delays on their end as well.

•  

To date, Crystal has processed tens of millions of dollars in refunds and we continue working through our queue to address each guest’s claim in the order it is received. We recognize that in quite a few cases, we have not been able to meet our original good faith estimate in March of up to 90 days and we sincerely apologize for this and ask for your understanding.  Due to the sheer volume of voluntary cancellations across the fleet and the number of refunds to be issued, which is hitting its peak this summer, we are now projecting a minimum of 90 days for refunds through the summer.
  •  

Crystal has always been committed to honoring its contractual obligations with guests and partners, including the processing of refunds. We have the support of our parent company, Genting Hong Kong, and we are working together to improve the refund process. Because Crystal is a privately held company, you may not read about our positions or financials in the news as with larger lines, but we have undertaken the necessary measures to reduce overhead, without impacting future guest experience, all the while updating our procedures to continue to operate at a six-star level post COVID-19. These measures are allowing us to be nimble and strengthened to not only weather the COVID-19 pandemic, but to emerge, when the time is right, as an improved luxury line ready to serve our guests and partners as we have for the past 30 years. As the advice and directives surrounding COVID-19 evolve, our fleet is uniquely positioned to respond quickly to relaunch at the appropriate time.
  •  

If you booked with a professional travel advisor, please be assured that he or she is closely monitoring the status of your booking and refund on your behalf. We want to thank them for their support as they are champions for both you and us.

There were many who posted that they were not going to be upset if they didn’t get their refund in 90 days as there was nothing they could do.  Apparently if you don’t file a CC dispute Crystal will just stall.  So it is possible that some may wait 180 days!  Wonder if that is going to bother anybody?  I just saw friends today for lunch and we discussed Crystal.  After I told them what I experienced and what I read on this board they said they will wait and see what happens next year and beyond, if Crystal is still around.

Sales 101 “A satisfied customer tells 1-3 people, an unsatisfied tells 9-15”.

"Crystal apologizes refunds are now expected to take up to 120 days."  This is what I received from my agent yesterday when she processed my request for a refund for the $400 deposit for the now cancelled October Serenity sailings.   Not surprising since I think we all figured this is the most likely event anyway.    Clearly the "up to" is not even what many are seeing, sad to say. 

At this point we are simply thinking seeing is believing, so if any of our deposit money from this or our previous cancelled cruise deposit comes through at some point, great.  If not the money is already gone from our account anyway, so no more whining and on with life.  We can't change history.  We can learn and not book any more on Crystal until we see how this all shakes out.  No matter how poorly they may be handling it compared to some other cruise lines, I can easily see what a horrendous mess and nightmare it must be for cruise companies who are often viewed as the poster child villains of the virus.   Seriously I have heard a number of people comment that it is all the fault of the cruise industry that it spread from China.  This is a good reminder we don't live in a perfect world.  Let's count our blessings for what we do have.

I am at 90 days and haven't heard anything.  Called my TA and told her that I'd dispute. I canceled when I saw that they were going to cancel thinking I'd get paid first but...no. I hate when things get ugly.  A luxury business should keep their word.

Not saying it should still take 120 days but doing a bunch of refunds isn't necessarily as easy as it might sound.  The people who do have your information including credit card numbers etc. so it isn't as if they can just hire 100 additional people to do this.  Also,  I suspect each credit card company and country has their own process that has to happen for refunds.  Not the simple process it might seem.

However, by now you think Crystal would have the process straight and I would think a vast majority of cancellations should have been processes even if 90-120 days  I would think the process time should get shorter not longer

18 minutes ago, ctjon said:

Not saying it should still take 120 days but doing a bunch of refunds isn't necessarily as easy as it might sound.  The people who do have your information including credit card numbers etc. so it isn't as if they can just hire 100 additional people to do this.  Also,  I suspect each credit card company and country has their own process that has to happen for refunds.  Not the simple process it might seem.

However, by now you think Crystal would have the process straight and I would think a vast majority of cancellations should have been processes even if 90-120 days  I would think the process time should get shorter not longer

Not if Crystal wants to hold on to the money

20 minutes ago, ctjon said:

Viking is many times larger than Crystal with all their river boats and ocean liners.

I got two refunds in THREE days.

How come they can do it and it takes Crystal 120+ days?

Viking does not call themselves luxury either.

Edited by Paulchili

I wonder what Crystal's new policy of refunds at a minimum of 90 days with no maximum means for credit card disputes. When Crystal promised refunds within 90 days, we could turn to our credit card companies on day 91 and dispute based on Crystal not meeting its policy. Now there is no limit on the maximum number of days Crystal can take to make a refund.

8 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Viking is many times larger than Crystal with all their river boats and ocean liners.

I got two refunds in THREE days.

How come they can do it and it takes Crystal 120+ days?

Viking does not call themselves luxury either.

Not in any way defending Crystal's abysmal record so far, but I suspect you may have been a little bit lucky. I cancelled four Viking River bookings for clients in late-March and it took almost six weeks to get the refunds. It probably also helps that Viking is a private company and, according to the Director of Sales in a river cruise town hall I watched in May, they have zero debt.