Crystal Refund Roll Call

47 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

Not in any way defending Crystal's abysmal record so far, but I suspect you may have been a little bit lucky. I cancelled four Viking River bookings for clients in late-March and it took almost six weeks to get the refunds. It probably also helps that Viking is a private company and, according to the Director of Sales in a river cruise town hall I watched in May, they have zero debt.

And isn't it true that one of the reasons they have no debt is that they required full payment soon after booking, no matter how far in advance the booking took place? One of the many reasons I would never consider any Viking, ocean or river.

Patty

I am curious to know if anyone has received a CC refund on a deposit made back in (August) 2018.  Chase at first determined the charge was 'valid' but upon not seeing a credit on CC I called Chase and now they are denying this charge as 'too old'.  However, the final payment for this cruise made October 2019 was credited back to my card.

We cancelled on 8th May - via a TA - and were quoted 60 to 90 days.
I have just spoken to the TA and they said “We are in constant contact with Crystal (whose UK team are all working from home) and the US office are the ones who issue the refunds to the UK. At this moment in time, we are still waiting for refunds from them, and it is approximately 90 days from date of cancellation, so this should be around 07 August. However, if the refund has not been made to us by this date, it is escalated to Crystal.”
Our payment, in the UK, was made using a Visa Debit Card.
I am led to believe that this offers the same protection as a credit card but any dispute must be lodged within 120 days.
Watch this space [emoji57]
Currently 77 days .... and counting.

1 hour ago, Santonio said:

I am curious to know if anyone has received a CC refund on a deposit made back in (August) 2018.  Chase at first determined the charge was 'valid' but upon not seeing a credit on CC I called Chase and now they are denying this charge as 'too old'.  However, the final payment for this cruise made October 2019 was credited back to my card.

I was told by Chase that there was a 536 day limit for disputes.  A charge from August 2018 would not be covered, but luckily your final payment is in the time frame. 

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

And isn't it true that one of the reasons they have no debt is that they required full payment soon after booking, no matter how far in advance the booking took place? One of the many reasons I would never consider any Viking, ocean or river.

Patty

I suspect that may be part of it. The River bookings require final at six months. I have not done an Ocean booking in a while, but I THINK they are six months as well. In Ocean's early days it was payment in full at booking. I looked into one for ourselves before the first ship was even launched. When I questioned having to pay in full at booking, the Res Agent blurted out "we have to pay for the ship somehow." and I don't think he was kidding! I was actually a little surprised at the no debt statement given how many ships Viking launches every year!

1 minute ago, Roland4 said:

I have not done an Ocean booking in a while, but I THINK they are six months as well. 

I have neighbors who used to sail Crystal and swear by Viking.  I believe they told me that agents may ask for advance payment, but that the final payment deadline is negotiable with six months being easily agreed to and the best one can hope for.

2 minutes ago, Observer said:

I have neighbors who used to sail Crystal and swear by Viking.  I believe they told me that agents may ask for advance payment, but that the final payment deadline is negotiable with six months being easily agreed to and the best one can hope for.

Yes, that is how River works. They say they want it in a week, I tell them six months, and it's done. They will not go below six months though. And people complain about Crystal's 90/120 days!!

I like the look of the Ocean ships, but have not tried one yet. The one consistent comment I have heard is, like the on the rivers, they role up the carpets at 11:00 PM.

Received a nasty letter from Chase today.  If my card has a credit balance 2 months in a row, Chase will close the card.   However, making a separate  minimum deposit (adding to the credit???) will prevent the card from being closed.  In the past, they closed one of my cards because I hadn't used it for several months.   So if/when Crystal processes my refunds, it will get interesting to see what I need to do.  

1 hour ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Our payment, in the UK, was made using a Visa Debit Card.
I am led to believe that this offers the same protection as a credit card but any dispute must be lodged within 120 days.

I think that you are mistaken.

Debit card is same as cash - very different from credit cards.

If I am wrong about this I am sure someone will correct me.

1 hour ago, Travel2Learn said:

Received a nasty letter from Chase today.  If my card has a credit balance 2 months in a row, Chase will close the card.   However, making a separate  minimum deposit (adding to the credit???) will prevent the card from being closed.  In the past, they closed one of my cards because I hadn't used it for several months.   So if/when Crystal processes my refunds, it will get interesting to see what I need to do.  

Think I would go charge some groceries and gas.  The last thing you need is another hassle getting your refund because the card was closed.

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

I think that you are mistaken.

Debit card is same as cash - very different from credit cards.

If I am wrong about this I am sure someone will correct me.

That is true in the US but the poster is in the UK, so the rules might be very different there.

Patty

27 minutes ago, andiamo76 said:

Think I would go charge some groceries and gas.  The last thing you need is another hassle getting your refund because the card was closed.

I don't think that should be a problem.

I charged my Crystal deposit ($4K+) on a card in 2/19. That card was closed by me several months ago but they are handling my dispute as if the card was still active and when the dispute is settled I will receive a check from them.

On 7/20/20 I cancelled our b2b2b first almost-half of WC 2021  scheduled to sail 1/21/21.  This was just before Crystal Confidence 2.0 was announced -- once again my timing is not the best.  I think it probably won't sail, and almost certainly not with the current itinerary, but recently I have been concerned that it might actually sail "somewhere" and we did not want to live with the uncertainty any more, even for the possibility of a 125% FCC.  Admin penalties aside, we decided that we wanted to start the clock on our 120 days.  Of course it is no longer even 120 days.  Now it is "a minimum of 90 days."

This is for Susie:

Last night (7/24/20), we received the early final payment portion of the cancelled cruise on Symphony (9/20/20) from Chase as a result of my filing a dispute with Crystal that I filed about 12 days ago.  This represents about 75% of the total cost of the cruise.  I'm not sure if this counts as an actual "refund from Crystal," and I guess Crystal can dispute it, but I have no idea how they can seriously dispute it.

Based on this, I encourage others to just start disputing the charges without waiting too long.  I filed mine after 3 weeks after asking for a refund.

9 hours ago, SusieQft said:

On 7/20/20 I cancelled our b2b2b first almost-half of WC 2021  scheduled to sail 1/21/21.  This was just before Crystal Confidence 2.0 was announced -- once again my timing is not the best.  I think it probably won't sail, and almost certainly not with the current itinerary, but recently I have been concerned that it might actually sail "somewhere" and we did not want to live with the uncertainty any more, even for the possibility of a 125% FCC.  Admin penalties aside, we decided that we wanted to start the clock on our 120 days.  Of course it is no longer even 120 days.  Now it is "a minimum of 90 days."

I wonder how defensible is that behavior in  both legal and moral terms.  If I book a lot of cruises, then my life turns into a biblical "Lot situation (pun intended)," would Crystal even bat an eye if I tell them "we can't pay you for at least 90 days, because this has been an unprecedented situation."

1 hour ago, Psoque said:

I'm not sure if this counts as an actual "refund from Crystal," and I guess Crystal can dispute it, but I have no idea how they can seriously dispute it.

The credit line should be labeled either as temporary credit (from CC) or from Crystal.

If it's the former it just indicates that you filed a dispute; If it's the latter then it is from Crystal and eventually will become permanent.

17 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

The credit line should be labeled either as temporary credit (from CC) or from Crystal.

If it's the former it just indicates that you filed a dispute; If it's the latter then it is from Crystal and eventually will become permanent.

+1.  @Psoque, if it is the first credit response on your card, it is more likely from Chase than from Crystal.  The big question would be if Crystal says to Chase that it is too early, and that per their policy they will get to you at (now after) 90 days, will that result in a finding in Crystal's favor?  If so, the money will disappear again.  In addition, if the rumors/allegations are true that Crystal is punitive when you file a dispute, how will this affect the refund for your initial deposit?  Since Crystal cancelled your cruise, there should not be an admin penalty FCC for them to take away.

Please keep us posted on what happens next.

2 hours ago, SusieQft said:

+1.  @Psoque, if it is the first credit response on your card, it is more likely from Chase than from Crystal.  The big question would be if Crystal says to Chase that it is too early, and that per their policy they will get to you at (now after) 90 days, will that result in a finding in Crystal's favor?  If so, the money will disappear again.  In addition, if the rumors/allegations are true that Crystal is punitive when you file a dispute, how will this affect the refund for your initial deposit?  Since Crystal cancelled your cruise, there should not be an admin penalty FCC for them to take away.

Please keep us posted on what happens next.

I definitely knew this is a "temporary credit" from Chase for the dispute when I received it.  I believe Crystal has 30 days to dispute this.  Crystal can either ignore it and let this become "permanent" or it will somehow fight this to reverse it.  I have no idea how Crystal is going to fight this, though.  I don't think Crystal has any legitimate case to say that the dispute is not valid, other than it is sooner than their bogus "90 days or beyond" made up nonsense deadline that I never agreed to.  Also, I can't imagine Crystal doing things to escalate the level of customer disdain, unless it has lost its corporate mind.

8 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I can't imagine Crystal doing things to escalate the level of customer disdain, unless it has lost its corporate mind.

I hope you are right.  My voluntary cancellation has $2000 of FCC riding on it, since it already had a previous admin penalty applied to it, plus the new one for this cancellation.  So the rumor that Crystal would cancel that FCC if I dispute the charge is of significant concern to me.

My TA contacted Crystal again today and was told that they are just now working on refunds for cancellations on March 12.  She was told that it would be a few more weeks before they will get  to my March 25th cancellation. So I will be contacting Chase on Monday to initiate a dispute.  

Susie, please add my recent deposit cancellation:

Booking number 2258137

Cancelled by Crystal 7/22/20

Requested (also on 7/22/20) refund of $400 deposit (vs offer of 125% of deposit paid in FCC)

Sail date 10/15 & 29 (b2b)

Thanks!  Mary aka Andiamo76

P.S.  yes still waiting for our 4/22/20 deposit refund.   

I also meant to add that interestingly, I have yet to receive the official Crystal confirmation of my recent deposit refund request referred to in my post above.  I asked our agent to follow up and she said Crystal said they would be sending it out.   With  our previous deposit cancellation (initiated solely by us for and April '21 cruise) we received it the day after we wrote our agent to cancel.   I'm not sure why the delay this time.  Perhaps because they cancelled the cruise and we needed to let them know how we wanted our deposit handled, which we did that very day.   

7 hours ago, Psoque said:

This is for Susie:

Last night (7/24/20), we received the early final payment portion of the cancelled cruise on Symphony (9/20/20) from Chase as a result of my filing a dispute with Crystal that I filed about 12 days ago.  This represents about 75% of the total cost of the cruise.  I'm not sure if this counts as an actual "refund from Crystal," and I guess Crystal can dispute it, but I have no idea how they can seriously dispute it.

Based on this, I encourage others to just start disputing the charges without waiting too long.  I filed mine after 3 weeks after asking for a refund.

If my case, when I went on my Chase app the credit from Chase just showed up as a credit (the day I initiated the dispute) with no mention of where it was from or the date of issuance. When Crystal actually refunded the money, the amount showed up as a credit (dated three days before it actually appeared on the App) with the words Crystal. Initially, both credits were showing, but I called Chase to tell them Crystal made the refund (2 days after I made the dispute) and they could remove the Chase credit. 
     The Chase rep said it was not necessary for me to have called as their software would pick up the double credit and remove the one from Chase. 
    Hopefully, you will have a similar experience.

1 hour ago, tipsygirl said:

My TA contacted Crystal again today and was told that they are just now working on refunds for cancellations on March 12.  She was told that it would be a few more weeks before they will get  to my March 25th cancellation. So I will be contacting Chase on Monday to initiate a dispute.  

They have been working on the early March cancellations since before June 15.  My TA called them on June 15 about my March 11 cancellation, and at that point they had already been working on that time range for at least a week.  It took them another 2 weeks, followed by phone calls on June 29 from both myself and then my TA before they actually did anything with mine.

That is at least 7 weeks now that they have been working on the first half (?) of March.  And "several" more weeks to go before they get to the second half of the month??  This does not bode well for anyone waiting.  No wonder they changed their time line to say "a minimum of 90 days" with no upper limit.

As I mentioned before, I would be very interested to hear if anyone filing a dispute has negative consequences on the FCC for their admin penalty.  Because other than that question, it seems that a dispute is now just about the only way to get your money back.