Crystal Refund Roll Call

1 hour ago, tipsygirl said:

My TA contacted Crystal again today and was told that they are just now working on refunds for cancellations on March 12.  She was told that it would be a few more weeks before they will get  to my March 25th cancellation. So I will be contacting Chase on Monday to initiate a dispute.  

That is the same line I was told On 6/8.  They are trying to claim they had soooooo many bookings that were cancelled in March that they still haven't been able to manage them?.  They are either completely incompetent or they do not want to give the money up unless there is a chargeback and they have no choice.  i did a chargeback.  I do not know why anybody believes anything Crystal says.  I would be worried if I have money with them that I would ever see it again.  I am sure that many here will call me negative.  Extraordinary circumstances, yada, yada yada.  Good luck to all.

1 hour ago, andiamo76 said:

I have yet to receive the official Crystal confirmation of my recent deposit refund request referred to in my post above.

I assume you are referring to the "Payment Confirmation."   I got one the same day for the cancellation I initiated on July 20.  It showed a pending refund for only two of three payments that I had made.  When I pointed this out to my TA, I then received a corrected statement the next day.  It seems odd that they cannot even get that for you.  It is a document you would need to dispute the charge.  Or on second thought, maybe it is not so odd after all....  🙄

39 minutes ago, cruisr said:

That is the same line I was told On 6/8.  They are trying to claim they had soooooo many bookings that were cancelled in March that they still haven't been able to manage them?.  They are either completely incompetent or they do not want to give the money up unless there is a chargeback and they have no choice.  i did a chargeback.  I do not know why anybody believes anything Crystal says.  I would be worried if I have money with them that I would ever see it again.  I am sure that many here will call me negative.  Extraordinary circumstances, yada, yada yada.  Good luck to all.

Actually, I would call you tiresome. You have made your point over and over again, so give it a rest.

4 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

Actually, I would call you tiresome. You have made your point over and over again, so give it a rest.

And of course as a TA who want upgrades and is well known to Crystal your point has been made.  Just don’t read my posts Or are you in favor of cancel culture?

2 hours ago, cruisr said:

And of course as a TA who want upgrades and is well known to Crystal your point has been made.  Just don’t read my posts Or are you in favor of cancel culture?

FWIW, I am my only Crystal customer, and while the staff onboard recognize my wife and I, I doubt anyone in the Miami/LA office knows, or even cares, who I am. You, on the other hand, are still tiresome!

Edited by Roland4

Obviously, at this time, Crystal is unable to meet its financial obligations to their customers in a timely manner, if ever (based on "minimum of 90 days" advisory).  I think it is safe to say that they are delinquent, at least at this time.  I'm not a financial advisor, but I personally decided not to book any additional cruises with Crystal at this time, and I also decided to pursue refunds more aggressively by disputing charges before waiting too long, because I have no idea what the future holds for Crystal or for that matter, the entire leisure travel industry.  I have received a temporary credit from Chase for about 75% of the 9/20/20 cruise that was cancelled by Crystal, and I am letting Chase deal with Crystal if Crystal wants to fight this.

Sorry to divert away from the conjecture and suppositions but I thought some factual info on my refund situation would be useful - especially for those claiming Crystal are no longer paying out refunds

I just got one refund credited onto my AMEX on 24 July - I cancelled a future cruise on 20 April and received my deposit back (less Admin fee) at 95 days

For the record I'm still waiting on a couple of others:

One for a cruise I cancelled on 18 March and am still waiting on my deposit back - that ones at 130 days

The other for a cruise Crystal cancelled and I requested a refund of the full fare paid for on 3 April - that ones at 114 days

So the mystery to me is the order that refunds are being processed in - I see feedback that they are being dealt with in the order they were received but my experience does not reflect that (I had another deposit refunded on 28 May after only 38 days)

I'll certainly be glad to get my outstanding refunds

BTW - for those calculating dates I found a handy function of the Windows 10 Calculator - you can set it to calculate elapsed days. Microsoft must have realised a lot of us would need that calculation when dealing with our travel providers!

1387950881_Win10DateFunction.jpg.396a200d4675be6e83a2d53106fab62a.jpg

1755952917_DateCalcExample.jpg.c3684f95bce376de043f766402620f12.jpg

Edited by Stickman1990

Hi Terry!  Thanks for the info about the calculator options....I hadn't seen that and could have used it a couple days ago when I was calculating my refund wait time (so far)!  I did a Google search to accomplish it, but the calculator is easier.  I had never seen all the other options either....conversions of currency, weights, temperatures, etc.  I use all of those frequently so it's very helpful!!

Take care of yourself,

~Nancy

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

Hi Terry!  Thanks for the info about the calculator options....I hadn't seen that and could have used it a couple days ago when I was calculating my refund wait time (so far)!  I did a Google search to accomplish it, but the calculator is easier.  I had never seen all the other options either....conversions of currency, weights, temperatures, etc.  I use all of those frequently so it's very helpful!!

Take care of yourself,

~Nancy

This is an alternative:

https://www.timeanddate.com/

8 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I just got one refund credited onto my AMEX on 24 July - I cancelled a future cruise on 20 April and received my deposit back (less Admin fee) at 95 days 

Thanks for posting, that is reassuring.  It has been sometime since someone posted that they received a refund from Crystal without invoking a credit card dispute.  And I agree with you about the "order" refunds are being processed.  I've been skeptical about that Crystal policy for some time.

Edited by crickette
9 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've got the calculation set up in my Cruises spreadsheet. I just update the current date every so often often.

You could use a date function to do this automatically.  In Excel it is =TODAY() , in Google Sheets it is =NOW() , and in 1-2-3 (still my favorite in many ways) it is @NOW .  Then you will always be up to date.

I had not been aware of the date function in the Windows calculator, so thank you, @Stickman1990, for mentioning it.  Another handy tool to have on hand.

Edited by SusieQft
19 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

For the record I'm still waiting on a couple of others:

One for a cruise I cancelled on 18 March and am still waiting on my deposit back - that ones at 130 days

The other for a cruise Crystal cancelled and I requested a refund of the full fare paid for on 3 April - that ones at 114 days

More good news today - I checked my AMEX online this morning and the refund for the 3 April requested refund is in my account as a credit from Crystal (that one was a lot more than the previous days credit) - paid at 115 days 

So now down to one, the longest one outstanding - and that’s on a Visa card so I wonder if that makes a difference 

3 hours ago, happy cruising said:

I just saw this article online regarding how cruise lines in general are handling refunds.  Some of the other cruise line waits for refunds makes Crystal look terrific:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/06/29/cruise-passengers-have-been-waiting-months-refunds-canceled-trips/3202473001/

And not one luxury line mentioned.  i expect better customer service from luxury lines, but hey, that’s just me.  

Our credit for the larger amount was permanently credited today after disputing on our credit card.  We are exactly at 90 days today.  The smaller amount has not been refunded, as we challenged the wrong card.  We discovered the error only after getting a rejection from our AE dispute.  The charge was so long ago that Citi required a mail-in dispute, so waiting on that one still.

7 hours ago, SusieQft said:

You could use a date function to do this automatically.  In Excel it is =TODAY() , in Google Sheets it is =NOW() , and in 1-2-3 (still my favorite in many ways) it is @NOW .  Then you will always be up to date.

I had not been aware of the date function in the Windows calculator, so thank you, @Stickman1990, for mentioning it.  Another handy tool to have on hand.

Thanks. I was sure there was a way to do it but was too lazy to look it up. 

2 hours ago, cruisr said:

And not one luxury line mentioned.  i expect better customer service from luxury lines, but hey, that’s just me.  

Onboard yes, but "back office" not so much. I can tell you from almost 16 years' experience there is not a whole lot of difference dealing with a Res Agent at Crystal/Regent/Silversea than dealing with a Res Agent at Carnival/RCI/NCL/Princess/HAL. All lines have some real pros, and all lines have agents that when they answer the phone, I hang up and try again!

33 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

Onboard yes, but "back office" not so much. I can tell you from almost 16 years' experience there is not a whole lot of difference dealing with a Res Agent at Crystal/Regent/Silversea than dealing with a Res Agent at Carnival/RCI/NCL/Princess/HAL. All lines have some real pros, and all lines have agents that when they answer the phone, I hang up and try again!

That is very true but in this crisis it seems that the agents are given scripts that are patently not true.

They are told to tow the company line and lie.

So it's not the agents to be blamed this time - it's the company.

50 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

That is very true but in this crisis it seems that the agents are given scripts that are patently not true.

They are told to tow the company line and lie.

So it's not the agents to be blamed this time - it's the company.

Not sure I agree with that. The pros are still the pros and honestly try to get an answer, and the weak links are still the weak links. And sometimes you just need to know who to talk to. More art than science.

6 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

More good news today - I checked my AMEX online this morning and the refund for the 3 April requested refund is in my account as a credit from Crystal (that one was a lot more than the previous days credit) - paid at 115 days 

So now down to one, the longest one outstanding - and that’s on a Visa card so I wonder if that makes a difference 

Stickman its good to see you got more money back finally

From what I have been reading Crystal seem to be slow paying back

I got my credit back for our shortened cruise on that other cruise line a long time ago without asking or having any follow up

21 minutes ago, Thecat123 said:

I got my credit back for our shortened cruise on that other cruise line a long time ago without asking or having any follow up

Yes good to get it back - the circumstances are a bit different to yours as you were in mid cruise when they aborted it - I believe Crystal has paid out those who were in a similar situation to you already. For us they related to deposits and in one case a May cruise Crystal cancelled back in April

Are you sure that Seabourn are really any better at refunds? - I think I still see some disgruntled guests on there awaiting refunds. I don't think any of the cruise lines are perfect on their performance with refunds

2 hours ago, Roland4 said:

And sometimes you just need to know who to talk to. More art than science.

Maybe you know the people to talk to but how would the rest of us know the right people to talk to.

3 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Maybe you know the people to talk to but how would the rest of us know the right people to talk to.

I know a number of excellent TA's with a lot of experience in dealing with Crystal who are struggling to get an accurate answer out of their contacts at Crystal. I think this is one time when "who you know" doesn't make a whole lot of difference on how guests are treated