Crystal Refund Roll Call

We are now at day 135, waiting for our $13K plus refund.  Crystal keeps saying since our 90 day point to give them "a couple of more weeks."

We surely regret booking with Crystal and making final payment early.  Never again.

It's Day 131 since requesting a refund and I'm thinking Crystal, like some other cruise lines, is probably struggling with its cash flow and is thus trying to manage a balance between income from new bookings versus outflows of cash in refunds for cancelled cruises. Consequently, I am appealing to all Cystal faithful to read the press release below that was issued yesterday announcing that 2023 voyages can now be booked. I'm thinking if enough of you book new cruises, those of us waiting for refunds from cancelled cruises may get them faster -- so please book today!

I also would like to draw your attention the the boiler plate statement at the end of the release: "Only the world-renowned Crystal Experience offers an unwavering, unparalleled standard of excellence and luxury across four distinct cruising options: Crystal Cruises, the World’s Most Awarded Luxury Cruise Line..."

I don't know what the Crystal PR people are smoking, but if they think the service currently being delivered to their customers is "an unwavering, unparalled standard of excellence...", then they need to get off the stuff and stop hallucinating. 

All Crystal Symphony 2023 Voyages Now Open for Booking

The luxury ship offers several options throughout the year to explore Southeast Asia, India, the Middle East, Egypt, Holy Land, Mediterranean and British Isles with 36 all-inclusive itineraries of six to 15 nights, with 23 sailings of 10 days or less

MIAMI, July 27, 2020 – Reservations are officially open for the 2023 luxury itineraries aboard Crystal Symphony, bringing three and a half years of luxury choices to market for discerning travelers. In all, Crystal Symphony will sail 36 all-inclusive itineraries of six to 15 nights, with 23 sailings of 10 days or fewer. Itineraries focus on Southeast Asia and India; the Middle East, Holy Land and Egypt; and the Mediterranean, Baltic and Australia – including a New Year’s Eve celebration in Sydney. For a limited time, the Crystal Confidence 2.0 program offers guests 90 days from the time of booking to place their deposit on any of Crystal’s Symphony’s newly released 2023 voyages or any 2020-2023 sailings across all brand experiences – Crystal Cruises, Crystal River Cruises, Crystal Yacht Cruises and Crystal Expedition Cruises.

Crystal Symphony will spend the entire year sailing abroad, offering guests multiple options to sail select regions at different times of year, including March and November itineraries through Southeast Asia and India; March, April and October itineraries through the Middle East, Egypt and Holy Land; and spring, summer and autumn options in the Mediterranean, Dalmatian Coast and Black Sea.  

Sailings in Southeast Asia, the Middle East and Holy Land, Mediterranean and Western Europe, the British Isles and Ireland highlight Crystal Symphony’s 2023 collection of voyages, all of which feature at least one overnight stay. Also featured are five maiden calls – in Kampot, Cambodia; Khor Fakkan, UAE; Bristol, England; Malmoe, Sweden; and Gisborne, New Zealand – as well as new embarkation and disembarkation in the boutique port of Eilat, Israel; a return to charming Skagen, Denmark for the first time in nine years; and an overnight in the fashionable city of Antwerp, Belgium (rare among ocean ships). Boutique ports accessible thanks to the smaller size of Crystal ships include Bordeaux’s city center; Kepez, Turkey; Port Vendres, France; Bristol, England(gateway to Bath); Paphos, Cyprus and more.

A turnaround in Rouen, France offers access to Paris, as well as the culinary roots of Julia Child, while a stay in Le Havre brings guests to the banks of the Seine River, Paris and Giverny, and an overnight in Edinburgh allows guests to enjoy the famed festivities of the Military Tattoo. New routings include Scandinavia to Paris (Copenhagen to Le Havre), Iceland to the Baltic, London to Bordeaux and several others not offered before. Dozens of UNESCO World Heritage Sites range from Bordeaux and Saint-Emilion and Spain’s Rioja Wine Region to culturally significant sites like Israel’s Old City of Acre and Western Galilee and Egypt’s Pyramids of Giza and Luxor and the Valley of the Kings and Queens.

In 2023, Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity will sail a total of 68 individual itineraries ranging from six to 23 nights, with many combinable options for longer journeys. The voyages span 216 ports – with an impressive 10 maiden calls – in 92 countries across six continents. Crystal Serenity will also offer closer-to-home routes in North America – exploring New England and Canada and the Caribbean. Both award-winning ships will offer extended seasons in the Mediterranean and Western Europe in the summer months.

With Crystal’s new Crystal Confidence 2.0, a new 90-day deposit window, extended final payments, relaxed cancellation schedules and more are combinable with the Easy Book program, which offers reduced deposits and waived admin fees for all new bookings made by September 2 on any 2021, 2022 and 2023 voyage, adding enticing value to the acclaimed Crystal Experience, with Book Now Savings cruise fares for Crystal Symphony’s 2023 sailings beginning at $1,999 per guest, based on double occupancy.

While its fleet is paused, the company has been developing new procedures and policies that will support all public health and regulatory requirements and ensure that guests’ vacations continue to be not only relaxing and pleasurable but safe and healthy. The new Crystal Clean+ 2.0 protocols, announced on July 22, are the initial set of measures for Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony, developed with the latest data available from health experts and will be updated as new information and guidelines becomes available. Details can be found here. Currently in development are measures for Crystal River Cruises, Crystal Yacht Cruises and Crystal Expedition Cruises. The safety of its guests and crew members is Crystal’s number one priority and the fleet will resume service only when the company’s expert team and global health and government authorities indicate that it is safe to do so.

About Crystal

Only the world-renowned Crystal Experience offers an unwavering, unparalleled standard of excellence and luxury across four distinct cruising options: Crystal Cruises, the World’s Most Awarded Luxury Cruise Line; Crystal River Cruises, the World’s Most Luxurious River Cruise Line; Crystal Yacht Cruises, offering boutique luxury and bold adventure in the world’s most elite harbors; and Crystal Expedition Cruises, taking Crystal’s acclaimed elegance to the farthest reaches of the world. Crystal has been recognized with top honors in the Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards for a record 26 years including, in 2019, for Best Medium-Ship Cruise Line for Crystal Cruises, Best Small-Ship Cruise Line for Crystal Yacht Cruises and Best River Cruise Line for Crystal River Cruises. Crystal was also voted “World’s Best” by the readers of Travel + Leisure for 24 years, including, in 2017 and 2020, Best River Cruise Line for Crystal River Cruises; and won “Cruise Line of the Year” and “Most Luxurious Guest Experience” by Virtuoso for 2018 & 2019. Crystal is proud to be a platinum partner of the advisors of ASTA.

For more information and Crystal reservations, contact a travel advisor, call 888.799.2437, or visit www.crystalcruises.com. Join the hundreds of thousands who subscribe to the Crystal Insider blog, follow Crystal Cruises’ Facebook page; @crystalcruises on Twitter and Instagram; @crystalrivercruises on Instagram; and engage in the conversation with #crystalcruises, #crystalrivercruises and #WhereLuxuryisPersonal.

16 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

It's Day 131 since requesting a refund and I'm thinking Crystal, like some other cruise lines, is probably struggling with its cash flow and is thus trying to manage a balance between income from new bookings versus outflows of cash in refunds for cancelled cruises

Have you filed a dispute with your CC company?

That results in a much more reliable resolution than hoping for people to book for 2023 (and Crystal using that money to pay you back) - unless this post is meant as a joke.

24 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Have you filed a dispute with your CC company?

That results in a much more reliable resolution than hoping for people to book for 2023 (and Crystal using that money to pay you back) - unless this post is meant as a joke.

Yes, it was meant as a joke. 

I have thought about filing a dispute with my CC company, but since it is now more than 60 days past the date that I cancelled, the process is a bit different and requires me to call them and wait in a queue to speak with someone. And as another Canadian  poster stated, since I cancelled, the CC company will ask me to get proof from Crystal that they agreed to a refund. Plus, I keep thinking that the day I go through that long and annoying process of filing a dispute, I will get my refund the next day. So it really would be much easier for me if you booked a world cruise or two.

Interesting conversation I had with a Chase CC representative today.  I have already received a “temporary credit” from Chase on a cruise that Crystal cancelled.  I asked to see if the credit can be transferred to my bank account.  I was told Chase is reaching out to Crystal to see if Crystal has the funds for Chase to allow this.  I was then told unless Chase can verify this, Chase cannot transfer that excess credit to my bank account.  I cannot say if what I was told was correct/incorrect, and I can’t really interpret what this really means, other than that it was a bit surprising to hear this from Chase.  I’m not trying to spread any rumor, but just keeping others informed, since we really have no idea exactly what is going on between Crystal and credit card companies.

Also, we were told by Chase that the initial deposit part of the cancelled cruise cannot be disputed because it happened more than 528 or some days ago.  I guess Chase is allowing us to dispute charges only certain days back, and the final payment I made in January of this year was within that window, but not the initial deposit made in early 2019.  Another reason NOT to buy any cruises too early in the current state of affairs.

Edited by Psoque

“So it really would be much easier for me if you booked a world cruise or two.” 

Pretty funny Commodore.  Like your sense of humor.    I know many of us are angry and say we will never book with Crystal again, but I for one hate leaving money on the table (ie our “admin fees”), and have many great memories sailing on Crystal, so I do hope they survive.  First and foremost so everyone gets their money back, secondly so I can use my admin fees on a sailing if they make it through this.   For now though don’t count on my booking something.   

Cruise date 06/19/19.

Cancel date by me before penalty 03/12/19.

Disputed date with Credit card company 07/06/20 for full cruise amount minus admin fees.  CC gave immediate conditional credit while they investigated it.  CC requested documentation which I provided 07/24/20.

CC resolved dispute on 7/28/20 in my favor and made credit permanent.

Finally!!

1 hour ago, Psoque said:

Interesting conversation I had with a Chase CC representative today.  I have already received a “temporary credit” from Chase on a cruise that Crystal cancelled.  I asked to see if the credit can be transferred to my bank account.  I was told Chase is reaching out to Crystal to see if Crystal has the funds for Chase to allow this.  I was then told unless Chase can verify this, Chase cannot transfer that excess credit to my bank account.  I cannot say if what I was told was correct/incorrect, and I can’t really interpret what this really means, other than that it was a bit surprising to hear this from Chase.  I’m not trying to spread any rumor, but just keeping others informed, since we really have no idea exactly what is going on between Crystal and credit card companies.

I do not find this surprising at all, although I had wondered what the response would be to such a request.  The purpose of the temporary credit is so that you do not have to pay interest on the amount while it is under dispute.  In many/most cases that is a moot point for cruises, since the credit card charges would likely have been already paid off (by the customer) before the dispute is filed.  Nonetheless, it is not really "your" money until resolved with Crystal, so it makes sense that Chase would not transfer it to your bank.

1 hour ago, SusieQft said:

I do not find this surprising at all, although I had wondered what the response would be to such a request.  The purpose of the temporary credit is so that you do not have to pay interest on the amount while it is under dispute.  In many/most cases that is a moot point for cruises, since the credit card charges would likely have been already paid off (by the customer) before the dispute is filed.  Nonetheless, it is not really "your" money until resolved with Crystal, so it makes sense that Chase would not transfer it to your bank.

I agree. Until Crystal refunds the money or Chase resolves the dispute in Psoque’s favor, it makes sense for Chase to leave it as a credit on his card rather than give him the money. If the dispute was denied, Chase would have to bill him,  instead of just removing the credit. 

Edited by Benita
Typo
On 7/27/2020 at 3:38 PM, krisbelledc said:

Wow...that response is shocking, actually. "I hope" Why not give statistics on how many refunds they've processed, how many left to do, and what timeframe they are working on...that's pretty unacceptable.

Or tell us how they are funding this huge marketing campaign we see all over the net on different platforms...I think we all know the answer to that!

3 hours ago, ryndam said:

Seatrade Cruise News just posted an article concerning cruise line nonperformance and refunds. It's an interesting summary for those that may be further interested.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/us-weighs-changes-regulations-cruise-line-nonperformance-and-refunds

Rob

That article does not represent my experiences with several lines.

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

For one thing, they do not mention 120 days as the new standard for one particular cruise line.

I am guessing you read past this part of the article??

When a sailing is canceled or consumer boarding is delayed due to a governmental order or declaration, full refunds must be paid within 180 days following a passenger refund request

2 hours ago, Roland4 said:

I am guessing you read past this part of the article??

When a sailing is canceled or consumer boarding is delayed due to a governmental order or declaration, full refunds must be paid within 180 days following a passenger refund request

I was referring to this part:

How long are refunds taking?

A line that offered refunds for customers wanting to cancel in February was able to provide those in just over a week but now estimates they're taking 90 days. Another line did not start issuing refunds until early May.

According to Sola's findings, on the short end, one PVO stated it takes an average of five to seven business days for funds to be returned to the passenger, however, the credit card issuer may also take time before refunding the customer.

On the long end, some lines said refunds are processed within 90 days.

One specified an average of 58 days. Another said refunds can take up to 90 days, but its current time to refund customers is 60 days. Yet another line stated that by April 30, a substantial majority of customers canceling in March had been refunded and refunds are generally processed within 21 days of the cancellation. As of June 22, Princess Cruises had made it through about 60% of their refunds.

A small line adopted a 90-day refund process in March, but in June decided to move to a 30-day process and anticipated that being fully implemented by mid-July. A large line that has been notifying passengers refunds take 30 to 60 days has improved its system and is working toward issuing refunds within 30 days (in early May, that processing time was two to three business days).

I don’t see them calling out Crystal specifically for their now official policy of 120+ days for refunds.

Edited by Paulchili
47 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I don’t see them calling out Crystal specifically for their now official policy of 120+ days for refunds.

The 120 days was told to people on the phone, but was never in their "official" written policy.  It went straight from "up to 90 days" to "a minimum of 90 days for refunds through the summer."  I hate to imagine what will happen in the fall, when my pending refund will reach 90 &120 days!  I guess I should just be grateful they did not say "a minimum of 120 days."

Edited by SusieQft
3 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

The 120 days was told to people on the phone, but was never in their "official" written policy.

My apologies.

Nevertheless it takes 120 days or more for most people to get their refunds - official policy or not.

5 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Nevertheless it takes 120 days or more for most people to get their refunds - official policy or not.

Yes, indeed.  And it seems to be getting worse as time goes on.  At least their policy is more honest now.

I am at 90 days today. Sorely disappointed that I was promised a refund in 90 days and I have to initiate a dispute. We are on the fence about the future of our willingness to cruise in the next few years, yet, I have paid penalties because I do not want to commit to an unknown experience.

Life with Pandemic is difficult enough.  Likely, we won't cruise again.  Our first cruise with Crystal was an itinerary where there was less than half the passenger capacity. We loved the cruise - service, cabins, enrichment. everything. Time will tell

22 hours ago, commodoredave said:

Yes, it was meant as a joke. 

I have thought about filing a dispute with my CC company, but since it is now more than 60 days past the date that I cancelled, the process is a bit different and requires me to call them and wait in a queue to speak with someone. And as another Canadian  poster stated, since I cancelled, the CC company will ask me to get proof from Crystal that they agreed to a refund. Plus, I keep thinking that the day I go through that long and annoying process of filing a dispute, I will get my refund the next day. So it really would be much easier for me if you booked a world cruise or two.

@commodoredave we actually contacted Crystal by email and asked them to confirm that our refund is pending, including the amount and the last 4 digits of the credit card. Which they did. We printed the email along with the booking confirmation and sent it to CIBC Visa couple days ago. We are now on day 120. Enough is enough.

But your post game me an idea. We are now considering booking 2023 World cruise, paying in full and requesting to allocate some of our payment for our refund. Would it be fair?

Psoque is so correct on NOT making a deposit too early.  I'm in same boat, deposit made 8/2018 and even though the final payment made 10/2019 was reimbursed by Chase disputes the early deposit was not.  I will never again make a deposit on a cruise more than a year out.  Crystal told me it would be reimbursed but on their timeline of course. 

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

@commodoredave we actually contacted Crystal by email and asked them to confirm that our refund is pending, including the amount and the last 4 digits of the credit card. Which they did. We printed the email along with the booking confirmation and sent it to CIBC Visa couple days ago. We are now on day 120. Enough is enough.

But your post game me an idea. We are now considering booking 2023 World cruise, paying in full and requesting to allocate some of our payment for our refund. Would it be fair?

Thank you Cool Cruiser for the information about how to deal with the CC company -- I am going to try it. 

As for paying in full for a 2023 World Cruise and asking Crystal to allocate part of the payment to your refund, I think it is a brilliant idea. There is just one problem that I can see -- it may take Crystal longer to refund your money than for the 2023 World Cruise to take place!!

Santonio,

I am very curious about your reimbursement from Chase.

I booked 4 cabins for a July 19,2020 Serenity cruise.  I cancelled the cruise on April 1, 2020 and Crystal sent me a statement documenting that I was to be refunded all of my payments, less the $100 admin fee for each of the 4 bookings.  Several weeks later Crystal cancelled the cruise.

Up until July 16, I was patiently waiting for the refund from Crystal, but since as of that date I did not receive it, which would have been 106 days later, I sent a dispute to Chase Sapphire Reserve Card.

I just received notice from Chase that because the dispute was so old, they cannot credit my account.

My first payments were made in January 2019, and the final payments were made in October 2019, just as you stated your final payment was made.

I just want to verify that you did receive credit from Chase for the October 2019 payments, again because Chase told me there is nothing they can do because the transaction was so old.

I just called Crystal and was told the same BS that others have been told....that my refund is "pending in the queue" and the person could not tell me how long the queue is at this time.

Thanks,

Marc

Edited by Raptordash
grammer