Crystal Refund Roll Call

SusieQft

12 minutes ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

Thank you, Dave.  It's on American Airlines.  I have another way to do it, but, annoyed, I cannot cancel a flight to a place I can't go to anyway and get a refund.  No problem to cancel a hotel or a car service.

I had the same problem with a hotel in Amsterdam this April past. The country was closed to travel but the hotel wouldn't give me a refund. We eventually came to a compromise on a future hotel stay credit, which I hope to use next year.

Edited by commodoredave

1 hour ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

Well then there is the rest of the pieces to having canceled travel.

I have flights to cancel. They won't refund the flights - booked via Amex.  No matter that the flight is to Quebec, Canada (Montreal).  The flight is still scheduled but Americans are not able to fly to Montreal.  Therefore after 90 minutes on hold, 3 agents and a supervisor, I still have a flight I can't cancel and get a refund for those tickets either.

kathy, 

I have a similar situation with my tickets to Montreal for the same cancelled cruise.  I used Amex points and the only thing I can get currently is an air canada voucher.  I really don’t know when I would fly AC in the the next year or so.  I’m hope that the flight will be cancelled In the next month or so and then I can get my points back.

nancy

5 hours ago, nancygp said:

kathy, 

I have a similar situation with my tickets to Montreal for the same cancelled cruise.  I used Amex points and the only thing I can get currently is an air canada voucher.  I really don’t know when I would fly AC in the the next year or so.  I’m hope that the flight will be cancelled In the next month or so and then I can get my points back.

nancy

Well, because the flight to Montreal has not been cancelled, I cannot even get a voucher, let alone my points back and they want more than the cost of the ticket for a cancellation fee.  I did not use the standard points redemption, i used the pay with points feature.  I escalated the refund to a supervisor because I want my points back. Harrumph

!

I am now on day 90 and today I received an email from my TA ..... attached was a copy of a letter from Crystal ... which says absolutely nothing.

Copy ......

Dear Valued Guest,
As the Covid-19 virus continues to impact social and economic life around the globe, it also continues to impact Crystal Cruises more severely than we could have imagined. This global pandemic has also lasted much longer than anyone anticipated. In fact, the industry has again voluntarily suspended select Ocean cruises for ships carrying greater than 250 guests through mid-September, which means regretfully more cancelled voyages.
Our policies have always erred on the side of our guests, as that is the philosophy of our brand. While some guests have taken our generous Future Cruise Credit offer, many guests have requested a refund at a higher percentage than expected.
This steep volume has severely put our system under strain and delayed the process of refunds, which in a normal environment works efficiently and smoothly. We have the support of our parent company, Genting Hong Kong, and we are working together to improve the refund process. Because Crystal is a privately held company, you may not read about our positions or financials in the news as with larger lines, but we have undertaken the necessary measures to remain financially sound and are committed to honouring our contractual obligations to guests and partners.
While we strive for a 90-day refund turnaround, the reality is this has been challenging to
achieve. We continue to push to get refunds out as soon as we can, but unfortunately, we will miss this deadline throughout the summer in some cases.
If you booked with a professional travel advisor, please be assured that he or she is closely monitoring the status of your booking and refund on your behalf. We want to thank them for their support as they are champions for both you and us.
Please accept my apologies for the situation and thank you for your patience and your loyalty to Crystal. We remain committed to handling your requests in the best way possible during this unprecedented time.
Sincerely,
Tom Wolber
President & CEO Crystal
1501 Biscayne Blvd., Suite 501 Miami, FL 33132

4 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

I am now on day 90 and today I received an email from my TA ..... attached was a copy of a letter from Crystal ... which says absolutely nothing.

Copy ......

Dear Valued Guest,
As the Covid-19 virus continues to impact social and economic life around the globe, it also continues to impact Crystal Cruises more severely than we could have imagined. This global pandemic has also lasted much longer than anyone anticipated. In fact, the industry has again voluntarily suspended select Ocean cruises for ships carrying greater than 250 guests through mid-September, which means regretfully more cancelled voyages.
Our policies have always erred on the side of our guests, as that is the philosophy of our brand. While some guests have taken our generous Future Cruise Credit offer, many guests have requested a refund at a higher percentage than expected.
This steep volume has severely put our system under strain and delayed the process of refunds, which in a normal environment works efficiently and smoothly.

Yeah sorry you’re only just now finding out.  This was sent a few weeks ago.  To catch you up, refunds are taking 140+ days now, some folks have been successful in getting charge backs from their credit card companies (if that is an option), and I believe all of 2020 has been cancelled so it will likely just take longer and longer from this point to get a refund, if they ever do come.  I’m still waiting as well.  Good luck.

Our 75% refund finally showed up on our credit card this morning!  We cancelled our April 21st cruise on 3/18/20.  Our wait was 142 days from cancellation, if my count is correct.  Very disappointing...but we will apply our 25% FCC to a 2022 cruise and hope for the best.  We can’t wait to be onboard Crystal again. 

cancelled our april 2020 cruise on 3/16/2020

filed a credit card dispute on july 20th 

saw a refund on the credit card this evening - not sure if this was due to the CC dispute or crystal just finally getting to us in the queue 

GOT LUCKY WITH BRITISH AIRWAYS

i cancelled my crystal mahler christmas market cruise in june and they are processing my refund now.  most of my refund i put to my final payment on a med. cruise in 2022 so that's all paid for now.  i'm hoping to get the rest of my refund from crystal by the end of the year.

however, when i called british air to get a refund on my flights, they told me they couldn't give me a refund because my flights haven't been cancelled.  i bought a roundtrip ticket from phoenix to london.   then i bought a very cheap ticket from london to budapest on british air and another cheap ticket from vienna to london on british air.

this week i received an email from british air advising me that my phx-lhr flight was cancelled.  what fabulous news!  immediate i called british air and requested a refund and that was no problem.  they told it could take 6 to 7 weeks to process.  that was on wednesday and the refund was in my credit card account this morning! and they are transferring the credit to my checking account for me.  why can' t crystal be like that?  i'm sure it's a cash shortage thing with crystal.

however, my two other cheap british airways tickets can't be cancelled because the flights aren't cancelled and aren't likely to be cancelled but at least i got a refund on the most expensive ticket.  i did ask how they expected me to take those flights since i'm an american and can't travel to those two eu countries and they didn't have an answer for me at this time.  i'll wait and maybe something good will happen for me in octobrer/november.

Was advised by a friend (not on Cruise Critic) that their refund for the segment of the World Cruise they were booked on that was cancelled came through - 158 days. I'm on day 102 on my June cruise, so I'm not holding my breath as I'd get very blue! 😜

Patty

7 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Was advised by a friend (not on Cruise Critic) that their refund for the segment of the World Cruise they were booked on that was cancelled came through - 158 days

The audacity of Crystal. 

Shameful.

45 minutes ago, USC Adventurer said:

i agree.  it may be audacious and shameful, but the refund did come through!  better than no refund at all.

No refund would be more than just shameful - it would be immoral & illegal.

Thank goodness we have not entered that territory yet.

On 8/4/2020 at 9:04 PM, Ken1112 said:

I have had some partial success.  The cruise I canceled was the Sept. 11, 2020 voyage from Venice to Athens.  I canceled the cruise booking on March 20, 2020.  All calls to Crystal were met with "your refund is processing, but we don't know when you will receive yours."  Finally, on July 14, 2020, I decided to file a dispute with American Express.  I received 2 case numbers; one for the July 2019 down payment, and one for the Dec. 2019 final payment.  Amex did not give me a conditional credit.  On July 29, 2020 (131 days), I received a credit on Amex for the final payment (by far the largest of the 2 payments).  No word yet on the down payment. 

I am tempted to write to Crystal and tell them that it could take up to 90-120 days for the dispute on the final payment to be canceled. 😉

Here is a follow-up to my note above.  On August 8, 2020, I received a credit on my Amex for the down payment less $200 (administrative fee).  That was 141 days after I canceled my booking.  I have canceled both credit card disputes.

Thanks to SusieQFT for this thread and database.  Good luck to those of you still waiting for a refund.

Ken

It’s Day 142 of my long wait for refund freedom, and low and behold a rather strange customer survey from Crystal arrived in my in-basket today.

Dear customer:

While we experience a paws in our operations, I am reaching out to all our Crystal Society members to get your opinions on our performance over the past several months. I also want to assure you that we have adopted a variety of health protocols to keep all our passengers safe should you be reckless enough to cruise with us again. For example, I am wearing a face mask as I write this letter to you.  I also washed my hands this morning.  And I am no longer kissing my dog.

As you know from the endless stream of press releases and marketing materials that we send you as part of our mission to help deforest the planet and give Shakespeare a bad name, we at Crystal are committed to providing you with a world-renowned, very unique, unwavering, unparalleled, spectacular, extraordinary, and amazing standard of excellence. This is reflected in our refund policy, which has earned us an award from the Guinness Book of World Records, of which we are very proud.

So with this mission in mind, please read the survey below, fill in your responses, and return to me at your earliest convenience, but within 60-90 days, or 120 days, maybe 145 days, and perhaps longer:

1. In terms of our performance in refunding money for cancelled cruises, the experience we have delivered is:

a) Pathetic;  b) Stinks; c) Ridiculous; d) Terrible;  e) Unique.

2. How would you describe the speed at which we have provided refunds?

a) Like a turtle in low gear; b) Would make a Sloth look like a speed a jaguar; c) Does snail ring a bell? d) I got my tax refund faster; e) Unparalleled

3. We sent you a letter about refunds that was vague and made false promises, then switched to a meaningless form letter. How would you describe these letters?

a) Turgid; b) Pretentious; c) Pompous; d) A joke; e) Unwavering

4. At Crystal, we are always looking to improve, and given our performance to date, it shouldn’t be too difficult. Please select one item from the list below that we could improve that would be most important to you.

a) Raise cruise fares; b) Take even longer to provide refunds; c) Give our CEO a big bonus; d) Communicate less with people waiting for refunds;  e) fire the head of our Marketing and PR Department.

5. Being very sensitive people, we realize that during times like these that our Crystal motto of providing a “world-renowned, unwavering, unparalleled standard of excellence” may be out of sync with the reality of our recent performance with respect to refunds.  Please select one of the following to replace our existing motto:

a) At Crystal, refund ship happens;  b) We make getting a refund an oar-deal; c) When it comes to refunds, we haven't got a crew; d) Fin-tastic service is our lega-sea ; e) We’re not happy until you’re not happy.

Thank you for taking part in our survey.

Tim Wobley, President

It is obvious reading these posts that  Crystal Cruises has major problems which are surfacing now.  Many other cruisers, who have booked with other cruise lines, have received their refunds.  Crystal is playing with us.  I have  contacted my bank for a chargeback.  I do not have a good feeling about this.  We just may be out of the $$$$$$.....and Crystal files for bankruptcy.  Too many excuses here...many of us are waiting more than 3 or 4 months...i will think twice about booking WITH Crystal..

CRYSTAL..I EXPECTED MORE FROM YOU..YOU HAVE DROPPED THE BALL.

Re the flights issue ...
Our flights were KLM from UK to Rome and thence Barcelona to UK.
Our flights are still on the website and still available for booking.
We are advised by HMG to avoid travel to Spain.
All KLM will do is change the dates on the flights, or, if I want to change the dates AND the routeing (within Europe) they will charge me a £350 admin fee. The initial flights only cost £400!! The Government advice is not their problem!
If the flight is not cancelled then I will be a ‘no show’ .. to stop any chance of them reselling my seats.

19 minutes ago, Ken1112 said:

Here is a follow-up to my note above.  On August 8, 2020, I received a credit on my Amex for the down payment less $200 (administrative fee).  That was 141 days after I canceled my booking.  I have canceled both credit card disputes.

Thanks to SusieQFT for this thread and database.  Good luck to those of you still waiting for a refund.

Ken

Ken, they have posted on their website that they will wave the admin fees for cancellation.

My friend (line 53 I believe on the spreadsheet) rec'd full refund on Aug 7th.  I rec'd another of my charges refunded on the 5th.  Still one more charge to go for me ( it was on a MasterCard while the two I've gotten back were on a Visa, both with Chase).

Notice many posts of “I cancelled” (assuming at which time Crystal had NOT cancelled their booked sailing)...

In my case “I cancelled” the day (June6) crystal advised they cancelled cruise (0ctober 2020) —  paid deposit only so barely 60 days into their refund waiting period:  would this situation make me “eligible” to contact credit card company ??

Thank You

56 minutes ago, BettyNL said:

Notice many posts of “I cancelled” (assuming at which time Crystal had NOT cancelled their booked sailing)...

In my case “I cancelled” the day (June6) crystal advised they cancelled cruise (0ctober 2020) —  paid deposit only so barely 60 days into their refund waiting period:  would this situation make me “eligible” to contact credit card company ??

Thank You

Yes.  Do it now or you may be waiting 120+ days