Crystal Refund Roll Call

1 hour ago, PAllinson said:

Ken, they have posted on their website that they will wave the admin fees for cancellation.

I canceled the booking several months prior to Crystal cancelling the cruise.  What I found on the Crystal website said that a customer cancellation at 90+ days for a 2020 ocean cruise would incur a $100/pp adminstration fee.  If possible, could you send a link to the information that you found?  Thanks, Ken

2 hours ago, commodoredave said:

It’s Day 142 of my long wait for refund freedom, and low and behold a rather strange customer survey from Crystal arrived in my in-basket today.

Dear customer:

While we experience a paws in our operations, I am reaching out to all our Crystal Society members to get your opinions on our performance over the past several months. I also want to assure you that we have adopted a variety of health protocols to keep all our passengers safe should you be reckless enough to cruise with us again. For example, I am wearing a face mask as I write this letter to you.  I also washed my hands this morning.  And I am no longer kissing my dog.

As you know from the endless stream of press releases and marketing materials that we send you as part of our mission to help deforest the planet and give Shakespeare a bad name, we at Crystal are committed to providing you with a world-renowned, very unique, unwavering, unparalleled, spectacular, extraordinary, and amazing standard of excellence. This is reflected in our refund policy, which has earned us an award from the Guinness Book of World Records, of which we are very proud.

So with this mission in mind, please read the survey below, fill in your responses, and return to me at your earliest convenience, but within 60-90 days, or 120 days, maybe 145 days, and perhaps longer:

1. In terms of our performance in refunding money for cancelled cruises, the experience we have delivered is:

a) Pathetic;  b) Stinks; c) Ridiculous; d) Terrible;  e) Unique.

2. How would you describe the speed at which we have provided refunds?

a) Like a turtle in low gear; b) Would make a Sloth look like a speed a jaguar; c) Does snail ring a bell? d) I got my tax refund faster; e) Unparalleled

3. We sent you a letter about refunds that was vague and made false promises, then switched to a meaningless form letter. How would you describe these letters?

a) Turgid; b) Pretentious; c) Pompous; d) A joke; e) Unwavering

4. At Crystal, we are always looking to improve, and given our performance to date, it shouldn’t be too difficult. Please select one item from the list below that we could improve that would be most important to you.

a) Raise cruise fares; b) Take even longer to provide refunds; c) Give our CEO a big bonus; d) Communicate less with people waiting for refunds;  e) fire the head of our Marketing and PR Department.

5. Being very sensitive people, we realize that during times like these that our Crystal motto of providing a “world-renowned, unwavering, unparalleled standard of excellence” may be out of sync with the reality of our recent performance with respect to refunds.  Please select one of the following to replace our existing motto:

a) At Crystal, refund ship happens;  b) We make getting a refund an oar-deal; c) When it comes to refunds, we haven't got a crew; d) Fin-tastic service is our lega-sea ; e) We’re not happy until you’re not happy.

Thank you for taking part in our survey.

Tim Wobley, President

Bravo! Only wish someone from Crystal management read these posts!

3 hours ago, PAllinson said:

Ken, they have posted on their website that they will wave the admin fees for cancellation.

I am pretty sure that this only applies if you cancel after they made this announcement.  I got the email on 8/7.  Unlike with past amendments, the website does not seem to have a date marker for it.  I cancelled a January booking on July 20, and it was still subject to the admin penalty.

I think a lot of people were doing the same as me, cancelling January bookings that were going to go into the 25% penalty phase starting on 8/8 for the Jan. 5 start of the world cruise.  They put it off much later than they should have, in my opinion.  Probably they only did it because they were suddenly getting a lot of big cancellations.

I used to be in love with Crystal, but, as you can tell from my tone above, I am pretty cynical now.  I still have a booking in 2022 (to which I am applying my admin penalties and some other FCC), and I hope we have the opportunity to make up before then.

Scheduled sail date: November 12, 2020

Cancelled via Travel Agent: March 23, 2020

Requested 100% refund

Paid with Visa

No refund as of Aug 10, 2020 

Thx for collecting and recording this information! I want to stay loyal to Crystal but this is disappointing customer service. 

38 minutes ago, StayInTouch said:

Requested 100% refund

Paid with Visa

Thx for collecting and recording this information! I want to stay loyal to Crystal but this is disappointing customer service. 

haven't you tried contacting them directly? I mean its been awhile since you filed a refund claim. Maybe you should visit their office or be a little harsh on the phone while talking to their customer service? From my experience it always comes down to control of their work and keep contacting them until their phones breaks down. Hope everything will go well with you and you will get your refund 

8 hours ago, StayInTouch said:

Requested 100% refund

Paid with Visa

File a credit card chargeback.  Simple.  Why are you letting Crystal keep your money for this amount of time?

On 8/3/2020 at 2:17 PM, Paulchili said:

It's not just the lack of refunds for over 200 days, as bad as that is, it's the outrageous lies they tell people like we are stupid that offends me most.

For YYW & PAllinson - you should file credit card disputes ASAP (if you haven't already)

Paulchile, many thanks for you suggestion to file a dispute with the credit card company. I filed a dispute with my credit card company last Thursday by email due to the age of the charge since all charges older than 6 months must be filed in writing by email or letter per my credit card company dispute policy. A conditional credit will appear in my credit card account in couple of days but Crystal has up to 45 days to respond to this dispute. Hopefully that'll prompt Crystal to respond. As mentioned before, we've been extremely unhappy with Crystal's handling of the refund. It's very doubtful we'll ever sail with Crystal again with this terrible experience.

Edited by YWW
To correct typo

The time I've been waiting for my refund is just a little over three months which pales in comparison with what most of their passengers are experiencing but I decided today to file a dispute with my credit card company visa and I did it over the phone with them and they were very nice about it they do not charge a fee for disputes either I did read where somebody said that American Express was charging them a $200 administrative fee for filing a dispute Solis visas doing good by me and hopefully by filing the dispute it'll get Crystal moving along and issuing me a refund I have a second refund coming from Crystal but I only requested that June 16th so I have to wait until at least September 16th before I can file a dispute for that one but I assure you all that I will file a dispute it September unless I receive a refund from Crystal before then

11 hours ago, Roger88 said:

haven't you tried contacting them directly? I mean its been awhile since you filed a refund claim. Maybe you should visit their office or be a little harsh on the phone while talking to their customer service? From my experience it always comes down to control of their work and keep contacting them until their phones breaks down. Hope everything will go well with you and you will get your refund 

To Roger 88: Yes, we’ve tried several times to get Crystal’s attention. Our TA was temporarily on leave so we contacted Crystal customer service. They told us to be patient, it’s taking 90 “business” days, not calendar days and that we need to deal with this thru our travel agent. The gentleman was nice but basically said, “Don’t call us back.” We contacted Crystal thru their website and they said the same. We called our travel agent’s headquarters, since we cudn’t talk to our personal TA, and they said the people they normally would work with are no longer there and they couldn’t get any further with our request. Then our travel agent came back to work part time and said when she called Crystal she was told they got extra busy beginning Mar 9 because that’s when they relaxed their cancellation policies and that people were working from home so it wasn’t as smooth as they hoped. I just found this thread last night and so included my info to be added to the collection of data. Today we will contact our credit card company and see what happens. Thx Roger 88 for your comments. 

It has been 5 months since March 9.  That is plenty of time for them to figure out what is wrong with their process and fix it.  They don't seem to WANT to fix it.  The "process" excuses were probably valid initially, but we are long past that and IMO they are no longer at all valid.

Edited by SusieQft

I have been patiently waiting for a refund for my cancelled cruise for 130+ days. Waited a little longer when my TA was told by her GM over 10 days ago that he had been told that our refund was being processed.  But I have had enough. It appears to me that Crystal is abusing their loyal clientele in search of new unsuspecting  clients.  Luring them with special benefits that they are not extending to previous bookings. So I will file a long overdue claim with my CC company, and also cancel my 2021 booking. I will definitely not be as patient in waiting for that refund.

So sad to part ways with Crystal, but I will take my dollars elsewhere.

Spoke to Chase on the third and final refund credit from Crystal.  They told me it was in and the temporary credit is now permanent and a letter to me to that effect is in the mail.   I am glad to be done with all the refund fiasco.  

Best fortunes and happy sailing to all. 

4 hours ago, SusieQft said:

It has been 5 months since March 9.  That is plenty of time for them to figure out what is wrong with their process and fix it.  They don't seem to WANT to fix it.  The "process" excuses were probably valid initially, but we are long past that and IMO they are no longer at all valid.

Totally agree SusieQft. Unfortunately, it feels like they are using our money for as long as they can get away with it. I chatted with my CC company and was told they have had many, many calls similar to mine (probably not all Crystal?) and that they have all been resolved after going thru the dispute process. But it still takes up to two months becuz we have to wait for Crystal to reply. Is anybody else as concerned as I am that this is the kind of dysfunction that happens when a company is close to filing bankruptcy? They know this fiasco is expensive and it is affecting future sales yet they’re not hiring more people or creating a non-manual process to deal with the back load or even communicating with clients. 

21 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

The time I've been waiting for my refund is just a little over three months which pales in comparison with what most of their passengers are experiencing but I decided today to file a dispute with my credit card company visa and I did it over the phone with them and they were very nice about it they do not charge a fee for disputes either I did read where somebody said that American Express was charging them a $200 administrative fee for filing a dispute Solis visas doing good by me and hopefully by filing the dispute it'll get Crystal moving along and issuing me a refund I have a second refund coming from Crystal but I only requested that June 16th so I have to wait until at least September 16th before I can file a dispute for that one but I assure you all that I will file a dispute it September unless I receive a refund from Crystal before then

Amex is NOT charging a $200.00 admin fee.  Perhaps the person was confused and the $200.00 admin fee is what Crystal charges.  You do not have to wait until 9/16 to start the chargeback.  Do it now.  You will get a temporary credit on that card and they will start to investigate.  It seems that everybody here reported that Crystal posts the refund to your credit card within less than a week of the chargeback request.  

cruisr

in my last post, i'm sure i said bank of america visa and not "Solis visas"  not sure where that came from.  when crystal charges an admin. fee, they are really giving you a fcc for that amount.  they have waived admin fees as far as i have been informed.  i'll try doing the chargeback today and see if bank of america visa will start it for me.  thanks for your input.
"

9 hours ago, cruisr said:

Amex is NOT charging a $200.00 admin fee.  Perhaps the person was confused and the $200.00 admin fee is what Crystal charges.  You do not have to wait until 9/16 to start the chargeback.  Do it now.  You will get a temporary credit on that card and they will start to investigate.  It seems that everybody here reported that Crystal posts the refund to your credit card within less than a week of the chargeback request.  

I only cancelled about 30 days ago, but from what I see here it sounds like I might as well file with the CC company. VISA was very helpful and although they will probably also take about 60-90 days, at least I will have someone else working on my behalf to communicate with Crystal for a refund....my TA is overwhelmed and I'm only getting auto responses from them now....I harbor no ill will against Crystal for this, they have never been faced with such a situation like this.  Most businesses run on capital flow and when something like this happens where all the capital you needed for the continuation of your business flow is suddenly needed to go back to the customers, it definitely puts a kink in your operations and ability to function.  Very few businesses, even big ones, have huge capital reserves to feed off of during something like this where there is no income but there are continuing expenses....

Hello,

It’s been another month – now 151 days since Crystal canceled our two river cruises – and we’re still patiently waiting for our refund of the taxes.  We canceled an October trip to Maui last Thursday because of travel restrictions, and our deposit already has been credited back to our card, so it appears that Crystal might be the only company still experiencing processing problems. 

We now have refunds from 24 travel-related companies for cancellations made after our Crystal cruises were canceled.  The majority of the refunds were made within days.  The longest one took about three weeks.  Crystal now has hit the five-month mark.

Our last communication from Crystal was from Violet Bianchi, a "special assistant to the office of the president," but her response was just a restatement of Crystal's lame excuses on cruise refunds in which they say all companies are experiencing delays.  We know firsthand that is false.  She also said our refund may take more than 90 days to process, but she wasn't more specific than that.  Did she mean 180 days, 270 or maybe 360?  Crystal Cruise's handling of refunds truly is shameful -- and will not be forgotten the next time we go to book a cruise. 

1 hour ago, CruisinCindy said:

I harbor no ill will against Crystal for this, they have never been faced with such a situation like this.

Very generous on your part. Crystal is so far worse in handling the refunds compared to others that there is no scale on which to compare them with others. They were all faced with the same situation but found a way to handle it. Worst of all are the shameless lies you hear from Crystal and they lie knowingly.

Here is a quote from a post just below yours:

We now have refunds from 24 travel-related companies for cancellations made after our Crystal cruises were canceled.  The majority of the refunds were made within days.  The longest one took about three weeks.  Crystal now has hit the five-month mark.

Others here have commented on their experiences with other cruise lines and there simply is no comparison or excuse for how poorly Crystal - a "luxury" line - is handling this.

I personally see no reason to financially support a company that treats their paying customers like Crystal does when there are many other options out there.

As always, YMMV.