Crystal Refund Roll Call

SusieQft

1 hour ago, cruisr said:

Actually I think they are throwing all the refunds up in the air and whichever land face up they start working on.  So All those waiting 120 days plus, your refund request always landed face down LOL.

Crystal just announced that they are increasing staff in the refund department by 25%. Yes, that means they are looking for half a person to supplement the 2 people currently working there. I'm not sure whether they want the top half or the bottom half, but given some of the poor decision making by Crystal with respect to refunds in the past, I suggest they take the top half because it has a brain. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cruisr said:

Just curious:  You have not filed credit card disputes for the two refunds due you?  You will definitely get them back if you file credit card disputes.  I don’t understand why you think Crystal having your money is better than you having your money and you want to continue waiting.

It is not an option for everyone. 

3 hours ago, commodoredave said:

Crystal just announced that they are increasing staff in the refund department by 25%. Yes, that means they are looking for half a person to supplement the 2 people currently working there. I'm not sure whether they want the top half or the bottom half, but given some of the poor decision making by Crystal with respect to refunds in the past, I suggest they take the top half because it has a brain. 

Love it.  Cuttersam waited over 140 days -  the new normal on a cruise canceled on 20 March, the day after the WC ended.  Not sure what the rush is to bring staff on now.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, almostretired said:

Love it.  Cuttersam waited over 140 days -  the new normal on a cruise canceled on 20 March, the day after the WC ended.  Not sure what the rush is to bring staff on now.  

My guess is that Crystal is being charged by the credit card companies for the disputed charges. 

Cancelled our May Med cruise on April 2nd.,  requested full refund and received confirmation from Crystal on April 6th. After 100+ days with no refund, filed a credit card dispute with Amex on 07/31. 

Crystal refunded our money on 08/10/2020. 

Susie, thank you for setting up the spread sheet and also doing all the updates. 

Pooch 1 

• Thanks 1

The full refund finally showed up online on Aug 14, dated Aug 11.  That's 141 days since my refund request. Here's a full summary:

Mar 20, 2020 Crystal canceled cruise

Mar 23 TA requested full refund from Crystal (there was a small deposit made in 2018 and two payments made in 2018 & 2019)

Jun 11 Credit received on Citi Card for the small deposit

Jul 13 Opened dispute with Citi Card for the 2 charges

Jul 26 Citi Card applied permanent credit for the 2019 payment

Jul 31 Citi Card denied credit for the 2018 payment since it was made more than one year ago

Aug 14 Credit received on Citi Card for the 2018 payment, dated Aug 11

• Thanks 1

Thanks to SusieQft and all who have posted on this board for the valuable information you've provided during this frustrating wait for refunds. I've been "lurking" and haven't previously posted about our request. We made a deposit on a September 2021 cruise last year, and we cancelled that cruise through our wonderful TA on March 24. She has been following up diligently, and a few days ago, Crystal told our TA the refund was being processed. Today, on Day 143, we received the funds (less a $200 administrative charge) as a credit to our CC.  A cautionary note for those who have not yet received refunds: I recently attempted to file a dispute with Chase Sapphire Reserve, but they flatly refused to accept it since it had been more than 60 days since I requested the refund. They were unmoved by my tale of Crystal's 90 day/120 day/pay whenever policy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Normally I would be more patient, but after waiting a "mere" 114 days for my last refund, and reading all the experiences here with credit card disputes, I filed one (three, actually, for 3 separate payments) earlier today with my Citi Visa card on the booking I cancelled 26 days ago.  I was afraid that Citi might come back at me saying it was too soon, and I should wait 90 + days.  So thank you @Cruisemonty, for the talking points in case they do that.  It does seem like there is quite wide variation on what restrictions various cards put on the time frame for disputes.

I did wait until I had all my FCCs (from 3 separate sources) safely moved to my 2022 booking before I entered the dispute.  It probably does not make any difference, but I have become quite paranoid with this situation.  If they aren't sailing by 2022, they probably will not ever be, but I already had the 2022 booking and I really hope that Crystal survives and is able to sail it.

• Like 2

My oldest outstanding refund is 150 days old today - I felt it worthy of recognition - a little like a milestone birthday but I don’t feel like celebrating! 

Credit card dispute raised a week or two ago but that hasn’t resulted in anything this time - I have to say AMEX seem much more effective than Visa at getting things resolved 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Credit card dispute raised a week or two ago but that hasn’t resulted in anything this time - I have to say AMEX seem much more effective than Visa at getting things resolved 

That has also been my past experience.  But 2 weeks is not long enough to draw any final conclusions.

On 8/1/2020 at 12:35 PM, Sopwith said:

Another data point:

We canceled our Sept 1 cruise on April 7.  Crystal subsequently canceled it altogether.  The initial info from Crystal said we would receive a refund less US$200 in 90 days.  The 90 days came and went, we are now at 115 days.  Two recent emails from Crystal say we are in the queue but they don't know when it will be processed.  "Be patient."  My patience ran out about a week ago, so I initiated a charge-back on my TD US$ Visa account.  The refund for the full amount was posted in 4 or 5 days, so we now have the money.  What I'm not sure of is whether this is an interim refund processed by Visa while they deal with Crystal, or whether it was initiated by Crystal.  The most recent email from Crystal came at about the same time as the refund was posted.

I'm actually hoping Crystal goes ahead and processes a refund directly, which would result in a double payment.  I would have to send it back, of course, but I would take immense pleasure in telling them it will take 90-120 days to process the refund. 😈

So today I discovered the refund from Crystal posted on my Visa account for the full amount less $200, allegedly posted at 120 days. The $200 is available as an FCC. The Visa account still has the interim refund mentioned above, which I expect will be cancelled. I’m going to run a lottery on how long that’ll take. Any bets?

By the way, last week BA changed the routing of our return flights, which opened the door to cancel for a full refund of points and cash. I had the points in <24 hours and the cash in a week.

Edited by Sopwith
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cruisemonty said:

Thanks to SusieQft and all who have posted on this board for the valuable information you've provided during this frustrating wait for refunds. I've been "lurking" and haven't previously posted about our request. We made a deposit on a September 2021 cruise last year, and we cancelled that cruise through our wonderful TA on March 24. She has been following up diligently, and a few days ago, Crystal told our TA the refund was being processed. Today, on Day 143, we received the funds (less a $200 administrative charge) as a credit to our CC.  A cautionary note for those who have not yet received refunds: I recently attempted to file a dispute with Chase Sapphire Reserve, but they flatly refused to accept it since it had been more than 60 days since I requested the refund. They were unmoved by my tale of Crystal's 90 day/120 day/pay whenever policy.

I am surprised about your experience with Chase. I received an immediate provisional credit from them and it was 14 months since my deposit and 8 months since my final payment. 

Finally received my refund dated August 14th for a cruse cancelled on March 25th. (See Tipsygirl on SusieQft’s spreadsheet for deposit.)

i had just filed a dispute with my CC company on August 10th. The refund was initiated by Crystal on August 12th. Coincidence?

On August 10th I cancelled a cruise scheduled for September 2021. So I will go to the back of the line to wait for that refund of that deposit. I can only hope that Crystal is improving the speed of their refunds. Just kidding.

9 minutes ago, tipsygirl said:

i had just filed a dispute with my CC company on August 10th. The refund was initiated by Crystal on August 12th. Coincidence?

IMO, probably it was a coincidence.  You were in the right time range  (over 140 days 😒 ), and the refunds seem to come in bunches about once a week.  It is hard to believe that Crystal could react that quickly, especially considering it probably took at least a day for the news to get from your bank to Crystal.

Edited by SusieQft

14 hours ago, Cruisemonty said:

Interesting about the 60 day limit with Chase. Did you call to dispute the charge, or did you do it online?

I recent cancelled a cruise. Given your experience I will not wait past 60 days to file a dispute. 

I tried online but the website only allows you to dispute a charge made less than than 60 days ago. I called and spoke with a rep and the rep’s supervisor, and they both told me I could not dispute the charge. I received a follow up form letter denying my request. I posted this because many posters have suggested that timing is not a factor in making a CC dispute.

15 hours ago, Cruisemonty said:

I recently attempted to file a dispute with Chase Sapphire Reserve, but they flatly refused to accept it since it had been more than 60 days since I requested the refund

I am not sure that I fully understand the issue.

Was it more than 60 days from when you made the initial charge? 

If you already requested a refund why would you need to request another one more than 60 days later (for same charge)?

When did everyone receive notice of their FCC? When you canceled, when you were refunded, or another time? I'm still awaiting my refund (file credit dispute on July 27th), but never received the FCC that my travel agent said I should get a few days after cancellation. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get in contact with them either. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Cruisemonty said:

It had been more than 60 days since I requested the refund from Crystal. It was my first attempt to dispute the charge.

That is interesting.

I cancelled my Crystal deposit on 4/21 and filed a dispute with Citi on 6/27 - that's over 60 days (just).

I guess different cards/banks - different rules.

Edited by Paulchili

5 hours ago, Cruisemonty said:

I tried online but the website only allows you to dispute a charge made less than than 60 days ago. I called and spoke with a rep and the rep’s supervisor, and they both told me I could not dispute the charge. I received a follow up form letter denying my request. I posted this because many posters have suggested that timing is not a factor in making a CC dispute.

May I Ask what CC?  I cancelled my Crystal cruise 7 months after the deposit and was able to dispute it without an issue.  People on here have had the same experience with Chase and Citi.  Something seems off.