Crystal Refund Roll Call

I have 2 disputes with Amex.  One credited my card today for a 2022 cruise booked in January and cancelled in April.  Waiting for Amex and the cruise booked 2019 and cancelled by me in April

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.

Dear SusieQft,

Please add another refund request to your spreadsheet:

Serenity October 26, 2021 New York to Miami

Deposits for 3 cabins paid on 1/3/20: $3010.50 each cabin

Cruise cancelled by me on 8/3/20 and have statement from Crystal dated 8/3/20 that they owe me $2510.50 x 3 (There is a nonrefundable $500 Admin fee for each cabin)

As I am at day 140 waiting for refunds from Crystal for a cruise cancelled April 1, I did not want to wait until next year to possibly get a refund from Crystal for this cruise, and so I placed a dispute with Chase Sapphire Reserve card today, 8/19/20.

Thanks for keeping track of everyone's woes.

Marc

P.S.: I really want to go on the October 26, 2021 cruise to the Amazon.  If cruising starts up again, I will rebook it because th Crystal ocean vessel crews treat me VERY nicely, unlike the Crystal office people.

6 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Well, my issue is with Crystal management, not Crystal sailing experience. I'm not in business of "revenge". We currently have two reservations for 2022, it remains to be seen how Crystal looks when all this is over.

Fair enough. 

That said, as a general rule I hate to support businesses that don't treat me right as long as there are comparable other options.

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Fair enough. 

That said, as a general rule I hate to support businesses that don't treat me right as long as there are comparable other options.

I am in this camp but these are extraordinary times and if you look at the other cruiselines, they are, excuse the expression, all in the same boat.

44 minutes ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

if you look at the other cruiselines, they are, excuse the expression, all in the same boat

I am sorry but some of the others are definitely not in the same boat - they are not even in the same universe.

I got 2 Viking river deposits back in THREE days, AMA in 2 or 3 days, American cruise lines in 1 month, 3 Oceania deposits of $1500 each in 43 days and a fully paid cruise over $20K in 53 days.

That’s definitely not the same “boat” as Crystal. In addition, none of those claim to be luxury lines.

Today I got in touch with my mom.  She is in her 90s and doing well.  She had a paid for river cruise that was cancelled in April.  I told her no more messing around call the credit card bank.  She used a Chase Sapphire card.  She got ahold of the bank and disputed the charge today.   She was immediately refunded part of the money.  The the rest is in process.  Chase told mom not to worry, they will get her money refunded.   I recommend  proceeding in this manner.   Time to get your money back has come.  My advice is to act immediately.  I am so sorry that this is the case.    It is heartbreaking.  For my mom this amount of money is a big deal.  I am relived.

3 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

One credited my card today for a 2022 cruise booked in January and cancelled in April.

Was it a temporary credit pending their investigation, or final after the resolution of the dispute?

4 hours ago, cruisr said:

I think based on the new info from Genting filing a dispute now is the prudent thing to do.

I think based on the new info from Genting today, filing a dispute now may be too late, at least for a while:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23397-genting-hong-kong-seeks-debt-restructuring.html

"in order to preserve as much liquidity as possible and to treat all financial creditors fairly and equitably, the company is temporarily suspending all payments to financial creditors"

This does not sound good.

2 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

if you look at the other cruiselines, they are, excuse the expression, all in the same boat.

See post #808 above - I know of no other cruise line that is “temporarily suspending all payments to financial creditors”.

Edited by Paulchili
31 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

I think based on the new info from Genting today, filing a dispute now may be too late, at least for a while:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23397-genting-hong-kong-seeks-debt-restructuring.html

"in order to preserve as much liquidity as possible and to treat all financial creditors fairly and equitably, the company is temporarily suspending all payments to financial creditors"

SuzieQ,

My mom called her bank today and the bank was willing to dispute the charges.  She was able to get the smaller of the two charges immediately.   We shall see.  I wouldn't wait one more minute.  The door seems to be closing.  So very sad.

2 minutes ago, ijkh said:

She was able to get the smaller of the two charges immediately.

I am guessing that she got a “temporary credit” and not a refund.

That said, if Crystal goes into bankruptcy, she should get ALL of her money back - including the “administrative” fees.

2 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

I am in this camp but these are extraordinary times and if you look at the other cruiselines, they are, excuse the expression, all in the same boat.

Nope, not all are in the same boat.  Three of my four cruises that I cancelled on Oceania, Celebrity and Seabourn all refunded my CCs within 60 days.  Only one I had to do a chargeback for was Crystal.  Not good.

51 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

It doesn’t sound good because it isn’t good.  I guess the people who still have refunds due them and have not started a chargeback do not care if they lose their money.  

Thank you Susie Q ft for providing us with the information about g e n t i n g Corporation I have two refunds from two separate cruises that I've been waiting for since May and June I finally filed to disputes with my Bank of America Visa card for two separate cruises I filed the disputes on August 10th and now after reading about the possibility of not getting a refund I may be in that category I hope I'm not I'll let you know if I do get a refund but I'm not counting on it at this point in time thank you for your posting and all the information you've provided us

4 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Can somebody let us know how it is in this case for passengers who have not applied for refunds but who have large deposits on future cruises with Crystal?

If you have insurance that covers you for default, that might provide some additional protection.  For me, it is very hard to tell how good this coverage is from reading the policy.

I do know that my trip insurance does NOT cover me if I cancel the booking, even if I keep the policy in place.  That was from a direct question that I put to Travelex via Steve Dasseos at tripinsurancestore.com.  I think even if the cruise line cancels your booking because of the pandemic before they default, the insurance would very likely not cover it, since it was not cancelled for a "covered reason."  So many if not most or all of the pending refunds cannot be covered by insurance, even if the insurance covers default.

So my GUESS is that if the company defaults before they cancel your cruise, it might be covered by your trip insurance, otherwise it is probably not.  Other insurance companies might interpret that differently, but it would surprise me.  So I would not take this as a reason to cancel any future bookings at this point, unless they are uninsured and/or a new or final payment is due.  If you do want to cancel, it might be wise to check with your trip insurance company first to see how that will be affected.

Hopefully Genting and Crystal will succeed in reorganizing, and will not dissolve Crystal.  As long as Crystal continues to exist, I think there is a reasonable chance that eventually they will pay the pending refunds and start sailing again.  Reorganizing may actually increase the odds that the company will survive.  Time will tell.

I do not claim to be an expert on any of this, so hopefully if what I said is not accurate, someone else will chime in and let us know.

Yes. The cruiselines are all in the same boat.  They cannot sail.

Even RCCL and Carnival and NCL have borrowed  to keep afloat. They have many ships and expenses of keeping them afloat.

Genting by filing a Ch 11 is trying to reorganize.   I remember well the Renaissance failure.  I cancelled all my sailings. I will be sad if they do not recover.  All of us are victims of this pandemic and the financial issues in one way or another. The travel and tourism industry is in grave straits.

I am happy for those of you made whole. i hope all of us are able to recover. I hope we will be able to sail again in our lifetimes.

3 hours ago, SusieQft said:

If you have insurance that covers you for default, that might provide some additional protection.  For me, it is very hard to tell how good this coverage is from reading the policy.

I do know that my trip insurance does NOT cover me if I cancel the booking, even if I keep the policy in place.  That was from a direct question that I put to Travelex via Steve Dasseos at tripinsurancestore.com.  I think even if the cruise line cancels your booking because of the pandemic before they default, the insurance would very likely not cover it, since it was not cancelled for a "covered reason."  So many if not most or all of the pending refunds cannot be covered by insurance, even if the insurance covers default.

So my GUESS is that if the company defaults before they cancel your cruise, it might be covered by your trip insurance, otherwise it is probably not.  Other insurance companies might interpret that differently, but it would surprise me.  So I would not take this as a reason to cancel any future bookings at this point, unless they are uninsured and/or a new or final payment is due.  If you do want to cancel, it might be wise to check with your trip insurance company first to see how that will be affected.

Hopefully Genting and Crystal will succeed in reorganizing, and will not dissolve Crystal.  As long as Crystal continues to exist, I think there is a reasonable chance that eventually they will pay the pending refunds and start sailing again.  Reorganizing may actually increase the odds that the company will survive.  Time will tell.

I do not claim to be an expert on any of this, so hopefully if what I said is not accurate, someone else will chime in and let us know.

Thanks for your answer. No insurance.

Does anybody remember what happened with prepaid cruises in the case of Renaissance?

Ivi 

1 hour ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

Yes. The cruiselines are all in the same boat.  They cannot sail.

Even RCCL and Carnival and NCL have borrowed  to keep afloat. They have many ships and expenses of keeping them afloat.

Genting by filing a Ch 11 is trying to reorganize.   I remember well the Renaissance failure.  I cancelled all my sailings. I will be sad if they do not recover.  All of us are victims of this pandemic and the financial issues in one way or another. The travel and tourism industry is in grave straits.

I am happy for those of you made whole. i hope all of us are able to recover. I hope we will be able to sail again in our lifetimes.

I too remember the Renaissance failure. They put us on a Seabourn which was great but it was off the coast of Africa and there were Somalian pirates around. Exciting. Like most, I've cancelled cruises, air travel, visiting relatives and friends, going out etc. It's a drag but as someone in his mid 70s with the usual underlying medical conditions for people my age,that's the way it is. It's only money. True, its a lot of money but at least I'm alive and have it better than most. Will I cruise again? Sure, my wife and I have an Oceania one scheduled TA to LIS in 2022. Will I cruise Crystal? Sure, why not.

14 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Fair enough. 

I agree with you 100%. 

That said, those two cruises already booked, they are good itineraries at reasonable prices. Cancelling now would cause paying admin fees.

But I'm not booking news ones with Crystal for now. 

5 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Genting have NOT filed for Chapter 11 

Genting are exploring debt refinancing options - that is completely different 

I did not state that they did file. They are looking into it.  In the US, a Ch 11 filing is debt restructuring.

41 minutes ago, USC Adventurer said:

SusieQft

can you explain how i can have my two canceled cruises put on your spreadsheet please?

Post on this thread:  the original sailing date, the date you cancelled, and whether it was a deposit only or if you had paid in full before you cancelled, or if Crystal cancelled.  Sometimes I guess at the deposit vs paid in full if it is not posted, but not the sailing date or the date of cancellation.  And of course, once you get your refund, please post the date of the refund.

Thank you for asking.  If you had already posted the dates and and I did not include you, I apologize, but please post it again.

2 cruises cancelled, 1, Bali to Cairns 10/15/2000 sail dated, cancelled by Crystal 4/8/20, refund request made 4/8/20, refund still not received, deposit only, Amex dispute filed 2. Edinburgh to Svalbard 6/8/22 sail date deposit only refund we cancelled as we are doubtful that the Endeavor would be completed, cancelled 8/4/20, dispute filed with Citi Mastercard .

Edited by PAllinson