SusieQft

first canceled cruise

Sailed date 12/2/20

Cancel date 5/14/20

Paid in Full

Part of fare transferred another cruise for 2022

Part of fare is a refund

filed dispute with bank of america visa on august 11, 2020

i canceled this cruise but since i canceled, crystal cancelled the cruise.

second canceled cruise

Sailed date 9/25/21

Cancel date 6/19/20

Deposit Only $1014.00

filed dispute with bank of america visa on august 11, 2020

i canceled this cruise because i just don't feel safe traveling next year.

i hope this is the information you need.

can i access your spreadsheet or not?

thanks,

david

2 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

i hope this is the information you need.

can i access your spreadsheet or not?

Thank you, David.  Your entries are now in the spreadsheet.  I hope that 2022 works out as planned, for both of us and everyone else. 🙂  You can always find the "read only" link to access the spreadsheet in the first post of this thread, but here it is again:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J4VzFbOtV0IvGFMcPxYm3yMB476abmEb8qSCjFUoZKg/edit?usp=sharing

Final Balance paid November 2019 for cruise on 27 September this year.
I cancelled on 8th May and was told 60 to 90 days, the latter being 7 August.
Still waiting.
TA says they have escalated the claim with Crystal.
Card Dispute formalised today ... 104 days ... my patience has run out.

Good morning All,

Just thought we’d add our data to the list...

scheduled sail date 8/25/20 Oberammergau package

Crystal cancelled April 1/20

Booked directly through a Crystal agent

The  refund option selected by us, through Crystal agent, on April 1/20, was for full refund to our credit card.

No refund as of 8/21/20

Refund Update:  After filing a credit card dispute on 8/11 with VISA, I have received most all (except $200) of my funds so far as temporary provisional credit on my card as of today.  Crystal has 30 days to respond, hopefully in agreement, and then the credit will be made permanent.  Glad I filed the dispute with VISA after only 40 days of waiting for Crystal to refund, VISA is more effective at prodding than I would be.

Edited by CruisinCindy
1 hour ago, CruisinCindy said:

Refund Update:  After filing a credit card dispute on 8/11 with VISA, I have received most all (except $200) of my funds so far as temporary provisional credit on my card as of today.  Crystal has 30 days to respond, hopefully in agreement, and then the credit will be made permanent.  Glad I filed the dispute with VISA after only 40 days of waiting for Crystal to refund, VISA is more effective at prodding than I would be.

This will be an interesting case to follow in that Genting has temporarily suspended payments to creditors - thus they are not likely to refund you in 30 days.

Will this mean that your temporary credit becomes permanent or can Crystal convince Visa to wait longer?

15 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Will this mean that your temporary credit becomes permanent or can Crystal convince Visa to wait longer?

As I understand it, the temporary credit remains until the dispute is resolved, one way or the other.  If resolved in favor of the merchant, then the credit goes away.  If resolved in favor of the card holder, the merchant pays and the temporary credit goes away.  I have had resolution in my favor from PayPal on a small dispute in the past because the merchant failed to respond, but I don't know if a credit card company would do that with the very large dollar amounts we are talking about here. 

I don't know what they would do if the merchant responds that they agree they owe the money, but they just don't have it.  Or that they are still within the time window they "promised" which has not yet expired.  "More than 90 days" will never expire, though.

I don't think all credit cards predetermine a fixed length of time to get to a resolution.  I have seen 30 days and 45 days in the past, but my Visa card now does not tell me how long it might take.  It does instruct me to retain all my documents for at least 90 days, though.

29 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

This will be an interesting case to follow in that Genting has temporarily suspended payments to creditors - thus they are not likely to refund you in 30 days.

Crystal has suspended payments to its "Financial Creditors", ie - the banks. It has not suspended all payments of any type. What will be interesting to see is if the dispute is honoured when it has been filed before the end of the "nominal" 90 payment window.

When a company announces a debt restructuring, whether via a Chapter 11 in the US or under different regulations in their home market, the negative news makes it even more difficult for that company to survive in its current form. For example, fewer people will make future bookings with Crystal, most suppliers will start demanding COD, liens may be placed on assets at some point, competitors will smell blood, the hedge funds will start circling, and many creditors will take a haircut. 

Depending on the amount of debt that can be restructured and at what terms, Genting may have to sell part or all of Crystal. After all, Crystal was not profitable in 2019 before the pandemic, and won't be profitable this year or next. Plus, it is carryiing a huge amount of debt. Genting may well decide it has a better opportunity to restructure and return to profitability without Crystal. 

In normal times, a prime asset like Crystal would fetch interest from rivals like Carnival and RCCL who would see value in keeping its brand and service level. But RCCL just bought the rest of Silversea that it didn't already own, and Carnival is unlikely to part with cash at this time, even at a distress sale. 

So the future of Crystal is murky - something a number of us have been saying since April on this and other Crystal boards. I wish Crystal the best and hope they do return in some form. But they won't be getting any more of my money for a long time.

Edited by commodoredave
50 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

What will be interesting to see is if the dispute is honoured when it has been filed before the end of the "nominal" 90 payment window.

Honored by whom? Obviously Visa has honored it by giving temporary credit and also giving Crystal 30 days to respond.

The question is what will happen if Crystal does not respond or refund in 30 days.

Will Visa make it a permanent credit or will Visa give Crystal additional time (if they ask for it either on basis of 90 day pay window or on basis of their financial restructuring)).

Edited by Paulchili
2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

From my past experience as a business owner and dealing with VISA as a merchant, if I got a notice of a chargeback/dispute, I had 30 days to respond to either protest it or agree to the refund.  If I did not respond within that 30 days, VISA treated that as a no-contest refund and the consumer got the refund.  From what the VISA lady told me about my Crystal refund and them having 30 days to respond, it doesn't appear that the process has changed.  That is what motivates the merchants to respond promptly instead of stringing out the consumer.  I am keeping my fingers crossed...

Also, didn't I just read an open letter on the Crystal website that reassures us that refunds are continuing to be processed amidst the Genting moves?   See the last sentence below:

Crystal® Statement

Crystal’s parent company, Genting Hong Kong, is engaged in a financial restructuring and fundraising exercise to address liquidity issues that resulted from its ships not operating because of COVID-19. It is important to understand that the company is not going out of business. Whatever option our parent company pursues, it will allow Crystal to operate its business. Additionally, we have always been committed to honoring our contractual obligations with guests and travel partners, including the processing of refunds.

Edited by CruisinCindy
Adding Crystal statement

Crystal Bach 6/21/20 sailing, payment made in full February 21 (bad timing)

Crystal cancelled cruise in April and our refund request made via travel agent 4/24 and told within 60-90 days. Travel agent has contacted them several times.

Last message was “oh it will be more like 120 days...”

Filed dispute with Bank of America on 8/14/20 thanks to suggestions from this board...

However, I’ve since discovered I charged the deposit on Amex (will never put payments on two different cards again) So have to also file a dispute with them.

will be interested to see if there are any differences between B of A and Amex handling.

Unfortunately, I have had trouble with Chase visa over a dispute for a charge made in error by Marriott related to a cancelled trip due to COVID and have been caught in a Catch 22 between Chase, Marriott Business Services and the property for months trying to get a $300 refund. Have spent hours on this. So hoping B of A and Amex will be better...have always have very good service from Amex on disputes. And there’s a lot more money at stake for us on this one...

Final Balance paid November 2019 for cruise on 27 September this year.

I cancelled on 8th May and was told 60 to 90 days, the latter being 7 August.

Still waiting.

TA says they have escalated the claim with Crystal.

Card Dispute formalised today ... 104 days ... my patience has run out.

Further to the above I forgot to mention the fact that the Bank are going after the Travel Agent as the debit shows up on my account as a payment to them .... not Crystal?

Let’s see what happens.

2 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Further to the above I forgot to mention the fact that the Bank are going after the Travel Agent as the debit shows up on my account as a payment to them .... not Crystal?

Let’s see what happens.

Hi, we too are in the UK and in a similar situation.  We used a TA to book our cruise including flights and transfers with Crystal, bearing in mind we were booking a package and would be covered by ATOL. The deposit was paid with MasterCard and final payment with a Visa debit card in January for a 22nd May sailing.  Both accounts show our TA as the payee, therefore the dispute is with them and not Crystal.  
We had a ‘wobble’ a couple of days ago when the refunds were in jeopardy and thought it was time to ‘act’. Rang MasterCard for advice, who pointed out the dispute was with our long time TA. They suggested we gave the TA till the end of the month to secure our refund. I drafted an email to our TA, who the next day left a message, explaining how they had been contacting Crystal a lot, by email and ‘phone.   Pleased we hadn’t sent that email in haste. Re-worded email to TA to thank them for their efforts. A return email assured us they had us covered in any case.
We feel relieved, but now it’s the 135th day since we requested a full refund and hoping,  following the better news from Crystal, that our money will soon be returned. 
Good luck with your endeavours.

Ann. 

Hi, we too are in the UK and in a similar situation.  We used a TA to book our cruise including flights and transfers with Crystal, bearing in mind we were booking a package and would be covered by ATOL. The deposit was paid with MasterCard and final payment with a Visa debit card in January for a 22nd May sailing.  Both accounts show our TA as the payee, therefore the dispute is with them and not Crystal.  
We had a ‘wobble’ a couple of days ago when the refunds were in jeopardy and thought it was time to ‘act’. Rang MasterCard for advice, who pointed out the dispute was with our long time TA. They suggested we gave the TA till the end of the month to secure our refund. I drafted an email to our TA, who the next day left a message, explaining how they had been contacting Crystal a lot, by email and ‘phone.   Pleased we hadn’t sent that email in haste. Re-worded email to TA to thank them for their efforts. A return email assured us they had us covered in any case.
We feel relieved, but now it’s the 135th day since we requested a full refund and hoping,  following the better news from Crystal, that our money will soon be returned. 
Good luck with your endeavours.
Ann. 

Hmmmmm .... sounds a bit like my TA.
I too had a snotty email drafted out but they rang me on day 90 and told me they had escalated the matter [emoji57]
Since then at 100+ days, nothing has been heard so I started the charge back.

My personal opinion only:

It is easier and faster to file a credit card dispute for a cruise canceled BY Crystal.   It saves time for both you and the Crystal.   Think about no waiting on hold except for your bank or credit card company.   Crystal deals with it on paper only.  They don't waste precious staff time on the phone with it.   It is neat and tidy.  There is a neat paper trail.  

I do not think Crystal would ever recommend this to you because they want to hold as many dollars for as long as they can.    Still it is the best way for both parties.

It worked for our family.   It might work for yours.

Edited by ijkh
3 hours ago, comas said:

The deposit was paid with MasterCard and final payment with a Visa debit card in January for a 22nd May sailing

At least in US, paying with a debit card is like paying cash. It does not give you the protection like when you are paying with a credit card.

On 8/21/2020 at 9:54 AM, CruisinCindy said:

Refund update:  Paid  deposit                                 9/19/2019

Paid  balance                                11/21 2019

Sail -                                  8/30/2020 - 9/12/2020                     

Canceled with TA                          3/28/2020 

CC dispute with CSR                      8/21/2020

CSR issued temporary credit       8/21/2020

Applied for refund from Travel Insurance (the one purchased through TA but was told Covid-19 was a "natural                               disaster" and not covered. However they would give us a credit on another trip.                                

15 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

Credit Card posted credits to my Amex.  2022 cruise admin fee is $1000 and the other $200 so there's the reduction in the refund but FCC is hopeful.

Are these temporary credits, or refunds from Crystal?

9 minutes ago, almostretired said:

Has anyone received a refund recently who has not filed a claim with their credit card company?

Yes, there were 3 about mid August, who had all cancelled mid March.  Go back to page 29 or so to read them.