Crystal Refund Roll Call

SusieQft

2 hours ago, nancygp said:

Thanks crickette.

it wasn’t clear in the cruise cancelation letter how taxes, fees and Port charges would be refunded.

i will have my TA confirm with crystal how it is done.  Yes,  I too am well aware of Crystals and Gentings Situation.

has anyone received a check from crystal?

Nancy 

I was able to have them applied as payments to a new booking. 

• Thanks 1

<<I guess some of us think that the problem with the refunds is not really incompetence in dealing with them,  but a lack of cash flow.>>

That very likely is a big factor, travelberlin.  But why is Crystal not being honest with its customers about the situation?   As we wrote earlier, "If the coronavirus doesn't sink Crystal Cruises, their excuses, lies and incompetence surely won't help them in the future." 

If Crystal Cruises would quit responding to people that "all credit card processors are in a similar place" and "We continue to process refunds on a daily basis and can assure you the amounts due will be provided soon,"  they might be a little more believable.  We actually have received their "Refund Statement" in emails from four definite reps, and it's a joke. Maybe it's time they update the statement and start being a little more transparent.

Granted, Crystal has a great product on the seas, but its Customer Service people are not very well trained.  That's the main reason for using the word incompetent.  We have had problems with all six of our Crystal bookings over the years.  The refund fiasco really has put the final nail in the coffin for us.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seattleskibums said:

<...Granted, Crystal has a great product on the seas, but its Customer Service people are not very well trained.  

Agree.

Early in 2018, Wolber said Crystal's shoreside team will strive to match Crystal's extraordinary shipboard delivery.  "Our crew delivers, and the shoreside team will, too,' Wolber pledged, to applause from the sales gala attendees.

http://staging.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/crystal-leaders-lay-out-the-brand-s-stabilization-strategy.html

Edited by crickette
  • Thanks 1

I doubt this is now the result of inadequate training or shoreside indifference.  I assume they just don't have the money to respond in a timely manner to all demands for refunds.  

The most talented galley crew afloat can't do much if they have only Spam and powered potatoes. 

I am told that the demands for refunds via credit cards get priority because the vendor (in this case Crystal) can lose privileges to use the credit card facilities if it fails to respond appropriately to proper demands/challenges for refunds.  When/if Crystal resumes operations, it would lose a huge (crippling?) amount of customer confidence if charges from Crystal to credit cards are not accepted.  

• Like 2

I have to dispute send with Bank of America Visa one from mayo and one from June and they told me it takes at least 30 days for them to process the dispute and hear back from Crystal which is hasn't been 30 days yet I think September 11th will be 30 days on the first dispute I'm just really confused how these people are getting temporary credit so fast after they submit a dispute I did ask Bank of America why I'm not getting a provisional credit and they said they have to wait and see what crystal says about the dispute it's not a life-or-death situation I don't care if I get a temporary credit or not cuz I can't use a temporary credit I have to have the real thing thought I put in my two cents

On 9/3/2020 at 5:02 PM, rwadam said:

It’s not an option for some people.  I’m glad it was for you and I hope you got your refund.

Hi there....we have cruised many times with Crystal but not so sure now......

we’ve been waiting for our refund of deposit since March 19th.  We cancelled our cruise in January 2021 because of my husbands ongoing health problems .  The promise of a refund in 90 days is of course long overdue.  Our TA has been on the phone to Crystal on a regular basis with the same old answers....its on its way .   Now,  we are getting desperate.  How difficult is it to start a claim with our Mastercard World Elite .  Do we need to fill out endless forms etc.   Your help would be so appreciated.  

1 hour ago, lizzydripping46 said:

we’ve been waiting for our refund of deposit since March 19th.  We cancelled our cruise in January 2021 because of my husbands ongoing health problems .  The promise of a refund in 90 days is of course long overdue.  Our TA has been on the phone to Crystal on a regular basis with the same old answers....its on its way .   Now,  we are getting desperate.  How difficult is it to start a claim with our Mastercard World Elite .  Do we need to fill out endless forms etc.   Your help would be so appreciated.  

I suggest going to the website for your credit card.  Enter a search for "dispute".  Download the forms that your credit card needs, and begin to complete the necessary information.  At a minimum you will need your statements for the dates the charges were processed on your credit card (and possibly the reference numbers),  the forms from Crystal that indicated a refund was coming, and the screen captures of the 90-day turnaround for refunds.  You can find 3 versions of the 90-day promises on this thread - 23 July, 18 June, and 18 March.  Only the 23 July is on Crystal's website right now.  Your credit card may require more.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, crickette said:

You can find 3 versions of the 90-day promises on this thread - 23 July, 18 June, and 18 March.  Only the 23 July is on Crystal's website right now.  Your credit card may require more.

Perhaps, but they might be very hard to find.  Here are two of them:

Issuance of Cruise Refunds in 90 days 3-18-20.pdf

Issuance of Cruise Refunds over 90 days 7-23-20.pdf

I don't have a copy of any that were in between those, or earlier than March 18.  If someone else has a different announcement on June 18, or if anyone has a copy of their policy prior to March 18, it would be very helpful if you could post it here.  Thank you!

• Haha 1

Thanks, crickette, for that link.  It's good to know that both Tom Wolber and Carmen Roig seemed to acknowledge that there were problems with Crystal's "shoreside team."  It's a little disconcerting that they haven't been able to resolve many of those problems in more than two years.  Maybe they felt the applause from the sales gala attendees would do the trick.  Keeping in mind that they also are part of that "shoreside team," they definitely still have a big job ahead of themselves to get that team in shipshape to meet their "one goal of exceeding the expectations of their guests." 

A good start would be to issue an honest and informative update of Crystal's "refund statement" so cruisers who have been waiting months for refunds will know where they stand.  Even airlines with plenty of cash-flow problems and many more customers than Crystal are making refunds for canceled flights within days.  It's time for Wolber and Roig to come clean.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, seattleskibums said:

Thanks, crickette, for that link.  It's good to know that both Tom Wolber and Carmen Roig seemed to acknowledge that there were problems with Crystal's "shoreside team."  It's a little disconcerting that they haven't been able to resolve many of those problems in more than two years.  Maybe they felt the applause from the sales gala attendees would do the trick.  Keeping in mind that they also are part of that "shoreside team," they definitely still have a big job ahead of themselves to get that team in shipshape to meet their "one goal of exceeding the expectations of their guests." 

A good start would be to issue an honest and informative update of Crystal's "refund statement" so cruisers who have been waiting months for refunds will know where they stand.  Even airlines with plenty of cash-flow problems and many more customers than Crystal are making refunds for canceled flights within days.  It's time for Wolber and Roig to come clean.

2 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Perhaps, but they might be very hard to find.  Here are two of them:

Issuance of Cruise Refunds in 90 days 3-18-20.pdf 80.82 kB · 4 downloads

Issuance of Cruise Refunds over 90 days 7-23-20.pdf 117.38 kB · 4 downloads

I don't have a copy of any that were in between those, or earlier than March 18.  If someone else has a different announcement on June 18, or if anyone has a copy of their policy prior to March 18, it would be very helpful if you could post it here.  Thank you!

I believe Crystal was silent on when to expect refunds prior to March 18.  I thank MightyQuinn for posting the various 90-day promises.  The June 18th version is on page 12.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lizzydripping46 said:

I think all credit cards are different, but with my Capital1 card, everything was done over the phone, with a very friendly representative.  I still have only the provisional credit from Cap1, but I didn't have to send them anything.

Hi SusieQft.  I had a look at your spreadsheet recently after nancygp asked a question about refunds for port fees/taxes and I spotted a minor error in my entry in that column.  We received our cruise fare refund on 3/12/20 on our credit card not by cheque.  Much later on 7/16/20 we received a cheque for air fees as promised by Crystal.  Not a biggie but thought I'd mention it.  Thanks again for all your work on this!

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, MightyQuinn said:

Hi SusieQft.  I had a look at your spreadsheet recently after nancygp asked a question about refunds for port fees/taxes and I spotted a minor error in my entry in that column.  We received our cruise fare refund on 3/12/20 on our credit card not by cheque.  Much later on 7/16/20 we received a cheque for air fees as promised by Crystal.  Not a biggie but thought I'd mention it.  Thanks again for all your work on this!

thanks for confirming about the check.

yes, thanks SusieQFt for all your work on this.

Nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MightyQuinn said:

We received our cruise fare refund on 3/12/20 on our credit card not by cheque.  Much later on 7/16/20 we received a cheque for air fees as promised by Crystal.

Thank you.  I added "by check" yesterday (from what you said on 7/15) after the discussion about how the port taxes are refunded. I meant it to apply to the air fare, but did not "proofread" carefully enough.  Looking back at the few reported refunds on that tab of the spreadsheet seems to suppport @crickette's helpful information yesterday that the port taxes (and air fare) are indeed refunded by check rather than back to the credit card.

• Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

Thank you.  I added "by check" yesterday (from what you said on 7/15) after the discussion about how the port taxes are refunded. I meant it to apply to the air fare, but did not "proofread" carefully enough.  Looking back at the few reported refunds on that tab of the spreadsheet seems to suppport @crickette's helpful information yesterday that the port taxes (and air fare) are indeed refunded by check rather than back to the credit card.

I’m sorry I said my request was on March 5 but April 5 is correct. I’ve been cooped up so long due to the pandemic my sense of time is a bit off. I am still waiting but have been told that they are processing requests from the beginning of April by my Crystal rep. I hope to have some better news soon. Thanks very much for your work on this. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/27/2020 at 2:40 AM, G2G said:

Hi,

I tried to access your spreadsheet, but i received a message saying I need to request access, I am techno challenged 😉

I cancelled my cruise on the 10th March for a cruise on the 21st April. I have not received my refund yet and the only correspondence I have had is an automated response to my enquiry saying it will be up to 90 days 

I tried to access as well and it told me the same thing.  We have had a deposit with Crystal since Jan 2020 and 2 cruises canceled.  Still no deposit. And their recent wording smells a lot like “we do not have any money”.  

<<Looking back at the few reported refunds on that tab of the spreadsheet seems to support @crickette's helpful information yesterday that the port taxes (and air fare) are indeed refunded by check rather than back to the credit card.>>

All of the emails we've received from Crystal have implied our port taxes would be refunded to our credit card.  They even have said multiple times that "all credit card processors are in a similar place" as an excuse for their delay.  We just fired off an email to Violet Bianchi to seek confirmation of whether our refund will be made by check or returned to our credit card.  It's a shame that Crystal hasn't been more forthright with the refund details and that we had to wait for crickette to figure this out. 

Not to beat a dead horse, but today is Day 178 since Crystal canceled our river cruises on March 13.  We're surprised to hear from rwadam above that Crystal is processing requests from the beginning of April now.  Perhaps our check was lost in the mail, but we're doubting that because we've been promised by two Crystal representatives that they would notify us by email when our refunds were processed. 

Either way, the information on this site and SusieQft's comprehensive work on tracking the refunds has been most helpful.  Thanks to all!

15 minutes ago, seattleskibums said:

All of the emails we've received from Crystal have implied our port taxes would be refunded to our credit card.  They even have said multiple times that "all credit card processors are in a similar place" as an excuse for their delay.  We just fired off an email to Violet Bianchi to seek confirmation of whether our refund will be made by check or returned to our credit card.  It's a shame that Crystal hasn't been more forthright with the refund details and that we had to wait for crickette to figure this out. 

Appreciate this info.   I will be in touch with my TA for a follow up with crystal.  FWIW, in the letter from crystal regarding my cancelled cruise (I’m sure many have a similar letter), it never states how, what form, port fees...etc will be refunded.

anyhow, I’m sorry you and so many have been waiting sooooo long for your refunds.  

Nancy

33 minutes ago, nancygp said:

FWIW, in the letter from crystal regarding my cancelled cruise (I’m sure many have a similar letter), it never states how, what form, port fees...etc will be refunded.

Our cruise was cancelled in the very early days (Feb 21) and the email we received from Crystal said "port charges will be refunded to the original form of payment made".  That's exactly what happened.  We paid the cruise fare and port charges by credit card and the total amount was refunded to our credit card.  Maybe Crystal changed their language over time as the volume of cancellations increased.

My understanding of the recent conversations is that the port charges are being refunded by check when you take FCCs for the rest of the cruise fare.  If you take the full refund, then the port charges are returned to your credit card along with the rest of your refund.  Not many have shared their refund information for refunds of the port taxes ONLY, but what little there is seems to support that.  More data is always welcome, though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, luvmesometravel said:

I tried to access as well and it told me the same thing.  We have had a deposit with Crystal since Jan 2020 and 2 cruises canceled.  Still no deposit. And their recent wording smells a lot like “we do not have any money”.  

You can add your information to the spreadsheet by posting it here, and I will add it.  The instructions are in post #1 on the first page of this thread.

33 minutes ago, MightyQuinn said:

Our cruise was cancelled in the very early days (Feb 21) and the email we received from Crystal said "port charges will be refunded to the original form of payment made".  That's exactly what happened.  We paid the cruise fare and port charges by credit card and the total amount was refunded to our credit card.  Maybe Crystal changed their language over time as the volume of cancellations increased.

crystal changed their language over time.  However, I don’t know when that occurred.

this is from my June 4th cancellation letter:

We are pleased to provide you with Credits* equal to 125% of the cruise fare paid or deposit paid – valid on any Crystal experience (Ocean, River, Yacht or Expedition) embarking through December 31, 2023 – along with a refund of port charges, taxes and fees paid, and any air and hotel packages booked through Crystal.

Nancy