Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
SusieQft

Crystal Refund Roll Call

Recommended Posts

On 5/26/2020 at 11:00 PM, SusieQft said:

This thread is simply and ONLY to track how long it is taking to get refunds from Crystal.  I will transfer the data from your posts into a spreadsheet that you can see at:

 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J4VzFbOtV0IvGFMcPxYm3yMB476abmEb8qSCjFUoZKg/edit?usp=sharing

 

Please post the date your cruise was to sail and the date you requested a refund.  If you have not received your refund yet, please come back and post again when you receive it.  If you have already received a refund, please also post that information.  It will give the rest of us more hope.  If you already posted any of this information on another thread, please check the spreadsheet and post an update here with any dates that are missing,

 

All the data will be transferred to the spreadsheet, and you will always be able to find it at the link in post #1.   By posting when you cancelled your Crystal cruise AND when you received the refund, maybe we can see a trend and get an idea when future refunds will be coming.

 

Here is my entry:

scheduled sail date 4/21/20
I cancelled 3/11/20, requested 75% refund + 25% FCC
no refunds as of 5/25/20

 

Or for others, the second line might be:
Crystal cancelled 3/18/20, requested 100% refund on 3/19/20

 

Or:
Crystal cancelled 3/18/20, took 125% FCC
still waiting for refund of port taxes

 

Or:
received refund [of port taxes] on 5/25/20

 

Etc.

 

Hopefully, this thread will be for data collection only.  There is already a robust discussion of this topic on another thread, and I suggest that any commentary and discussion be posted there at:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2020 at 2:40 AM, G2G said:

Hi,

 

I tried to access your spreadsheet, but i received a message saying I need to request access, I am techno challenged 😉

I cancelled my cruise on the 10th March for a cruise on the 21st April. I have not received my refund yet and the only correspondence I have had is an automated response to my enquiry saying it will be up to 90 days 

 

Crystal canceled our cruise on June 8th For a sail date of 10/14/20.  Requested a refund on June 10th after this being the 3rd time they transferred our deposit for 3 different cruises that got canceled.  No refund as of 9/8/20.  First response was automated but finally reached out to our rep at Crystal and got a snarky answer saying something cryptic that led me to believe we will never see our hefty deposit. He asked us to be patient a while longer while they regrouped 😡 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@luvmesometravel, the sad reality is that at 91 days, there was no chance you would get your refund by now.  At their current pace, it will probably be at least another couple of months unless you are able to enter a dispute on your credit card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hello! I wanted to enter our information.  Marykaymom10 is user name.  Original date of sail- 22 May, 2020. Requested full refund April 2nd. We check in with them weekly via email. And the last email went unanswered. As of 9/8/20 it has been 159 days since we requested a full refund. Friends that were traveling with us, the same thing.
Thanks for compiling this information!
Kathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SusieQft said:

@luvmesometravel, the sad reality is that at 91 days, there was no chance you would get your refund by now.  At their current pace, it will probably be at least another couple of months unless you are able to enter a dispute on your credit card.

I looked at Chase's website and it says you have to file a dispute within 60 days of  making the charge. for a lot of people you paid your cruise when the final balance was due (pre-covid days) you paid it way before the cruise was canceled. Anyone had Chase refund their card when it was longer than 60 days since payment was made?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, juicyjuju said:

I looked at Chase's website and it says you have to file a dispute within 60 days of  making the charge. for a lot of people you paid your cruise when the final balance was due (pre-covid days) you paid it way before the cruise was canceled. Anyone had Chase refund their card when it was longer than 60 days since payment was made?

 

You have 60 days to make on online dispute. If it is longer than that, you need to call. I was 14 months out from my deposit and 9 months from my final payment when I made the dispute with Chase. They gave me a provisional credit that day and gave Crystal 30 days to respond. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Benita said:

You have 60 days to make on online dispute. If it is longer than that, you need to call. I was 14 months out from my deposit and 9 months from my final payment when I made the dispute with Chase. They gave me a provisional credit that day and gave Crystal 30 days to respond. 

 

That's good to know. Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't find any Crystal refunds (that are not through cc dispute) later than mid-late August on the spreadsheet. Is anyone aware of a Crystal refund happening recently?

 

My good friends are battling it out with BMO MasterCard (over $20k) who's telling them that my friends would need to show a confirmation from Crystal that they have applied a credit in the amount of the refund to their account, and then not paid it out, for BMO to initiate the claim process. IMHO it is bull****.  They had put the deposit on a different credit card which immediately accepted and resolved the dispute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, claudiaYVR said:

I can't find any Crystal refunds (that are not through cc dispute) later than mid-late August on the spreadsheet. Is anyone aware of a Crystal refund happening recently?

 

My good friends are battling it out with BMO MasterCard (over $20k) who's telling them that my friends would need to show a confirmation from Crystal that they have applied a credit in the amount of the refund to their account, and then not paid it out, for BMO to initiate the claim process. IMHO it is bull****.  They had put the deposit on a different credit card which immediately accepted and resolved the dispute.

Your friends should have received a 'payment confirmation' from Crystal.  It shows the date of payment, the amount, and the 16 digit credit card number, with some numbers XXXXX.  On the second line it shows the date of refund, the amount, and again the 16 digits with some XXXX.  This may be enough for BMO.

 

EDIT to add:  However, this doesn't mean Crystal has entered those 16 digits onto their terminal and pushed the send button, in other words, completed the transacttion.  Think of the chit you get from a retail merchant when you return something - that little chit is proof the merchant has sent your credit card details to the credit card company/bank.  We don't see that with Crystal.  Another however, you may be able to ask Crystal for a reference number for the transaction, if indeed it was processed.  BMO may be wanting proof the transaction was processed, which the payment confirmation does not provide.  The payment confirmation is more "intend to refund".

 

Edited by crickette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SusieQft,  Thank you again for doing this spreadsheet.  It is a huge help.  For all of those still waiting for refunds, yesterday we received $30,000+ from Crystal via AMEX as a check.  After a number of emails and calls to Crystal and with the wonderful assistance of our travel agent and AMEX, we finally received a refund for our deposit toward the 2021 World Cruise.  We also now have the $1000 (for 2) administrative fee as a FCC in our account.  Two suggestions to others still waiting:  First, file immediately with your credit card if you can.  It seems to help, although I cancelled May 11; disputed the charge with my credit card on July 15th ; and AMEX got Crystal's money August 26.  It took another 2 weeks to get the refund from AMEX. Crystal had my deposit for 14 months (which was an AMEX charge) but AMEX honored the 14-month-old charge in the dispute. Second, be a  bit of a squeaky wheel.  Elevate this matter with your travel agent.  Some of the agencies place a lot of cruises with Crystal and have some clout.  Don't overdo it, but email and call Crystal now and then.  Good luck to all!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, crickette said:

"Your friends should have received a 'payment confirmation' from Crystal.  It shows the date of payment, the amount, and the 16 digit credit card number, with some numbers XXXXX.  On the second line it shows the date of refund, the amount, and again the 16 digits with some XXXX.  This may be enough for BMO."

 

Hi I know exactly what you mean, I got that exact type of confirmation on one cruise I had to cancel. However, my friends did not receive anything like it, they instead got one that says "Cancelled Reservation" at the top and only shows the Administration Fee as Total Charges. No refund noted at all. My friend called Crystal today and was told they would send him the letter. Let's hope they follow through. Thanks!

 

 

Edited by claudiaYVR
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, claudiaYVR said:

Hi I know exactly what you mean, I got that exact type of confirmation on one cruise I had to cancel. However, my friends did not receive anything like it, they instead got one that says "Cancelled Reservation" at the top and only shows the Administration Fee as Total Charges. No refund noted at all. My friend called Crystal today and was told they would send him the letter. Let's hope they follow through. Thanks!

Yes, for cancellations Crystal sends 2 pieces of paper.  One shows the credit card transactions, the other the FCCs.  Both go to the TA, so your friends may need to follow up with him/her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, crickette said:

One shows the credit card transactions

 

Of course those dates are pure fiction - I have one showing a refund on 03/18/20 - and am still waiting on it to appear back on our Visa credit card....

 

At best they are the date that Crystal "processed" (what ever that means) the refund as opposed to the date any payment was actually authorised

 

Having said that the document is accepted by the credit card companies as Crystal's commitment to make the refund and thus it's very easy to show how overdue the refunds are

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one that hopes, each day, to find a post here from Stickman announcing receipt of his full refund?

(and from many others that we know are still waiting)

Adrian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Noggins said:

Am I the only one that hopes, each day, to find a post here from Stickman announcing receipt of his full refund?

(and from many others that we know are still waiting)

 

 

Thanks for the concern/support - but there are others with much more on the line than me - I just want to see the supposed refunds being handled in the order of being requested - which is clearly not happening

 

Mine is more a frustration at how something like mine where Crystal agreed to the refund back on 18 March could still not have provided the refund. I've received several other refunds requested after that one so having this one still outstanding is frustrating

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I filed a dispute with Chase on August 21.  Crystal issued a refund on September 9.  This was for 3 cruises (June, October and December).   I have one payment remaining.  It is for the  initial deposit for the June cruise we made on a Merrill Lynch card that was closed.  Since all the cruises were cancelled, we are entitled to a full refund. 

 

Best of luck to everyone else.  This is not fun and the silence is deafening from Crystal.  The are creating irreparable harm to their brand.  Very unfortunate.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

<< This is not fun and the silence is deafening from Crystal.>>

 

Exactly.  Crystal apparently has stopped responding to emails.  All we want to know is whether Crystal still is processing refunds for people other than those who have filed disputes with credit cards and what their current estimate is on making refunds on March cancellations.

 

Their "refund statement" asked for patience and said refunds could take up to 90 days.  We then heard it could be up to 120 days.  We are at 181 days now for our river cruises that Crystal canceled on March 13.  It seems to us that any responsible and transparent company would have updated its "refund statement" by now to better reflect reality.  What is Tom Wolber doing these days to earn his salary as the Crystal brand is sinking?

 

Crystal Cruises is the only company we've dealt with over the past six months that has failed so miserably in making refunds without interventions by credit card companies.  We certainly concur about the harm they are doing to their brand and are wondering how many others will stay away from Crystal in the future because of the company's negligence and lies.

 

Enough with the deceit, Crystal.  As Stickman says, the line about refunds being handled in the order of being requested simply is not true.  It's a shame that none of the four people and two departments we've emailed at Crystal have had the courtesy to reply.  

Edited by seattleskibums
typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After waiting about 120+ days for our refund, I filed disputes (4) with our credit card company, in this case Chase.  We received one refund about four days after filing.  Crystal called our TA, who had recommended the dispute route, and are now "processing" our remaining three disputes/refunds.  We were told by our TA that we should receive the refunds within ten days.  Chase had already temporarily credited our credit cards.  I guess that once this is done, the refunds will be final.  This is minus the $500/pp administrative fee which will be a FCC if we book again with Crystal.

 

So, the lesson here is to wait at least 90 days and then file a dispute with your credit card company.  This is just my opinion and very situation is different.

 

Good luck to all.

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SusieQft

hello.  this morning a conditional credit for my deposit of $1014 appeared on my B of A Visa account.  today is exactly 30 days since i filed the dispute.  the message from Visa says that crystal has 30 days to respond if they don't feel the credit is valid, which of course it is.  i'm so grateful to the people here who first told me about filing a dispute to get the refund faster.  now i have one more dispute to get settled and i'll be an extremely happy crystal cruiser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my gosh finally got a credit on my Capital One credit card today for almost the entire amount I paid. 18 days after I filed the dispute. Still waiting on the deposit I paid two years ago for the Endeavor yacht cruise. Hopefully I will see that in the next couple of days. Good luck to everyone still waiting. It really does seem like filing a credit card dispute is the way to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we cancelled our trip on the Endeavor for June 6, 2022 and requested a full refund after waiting for our refund we placed a dispute with our citibank mastercard on 9/3/2020. Crystal responded to our citi dispute claiming that the disputed amount was wrong, claiming that the correct amount was $1000 less than our deposit. I recontacted citi and informed them that the admin fee was supposed to be waved per Crystal's website and the dispute was re-initiated at the full deposit amount. Citi now wants us to authorize a chargeback so they can pull the money back from crystal's bank account. Conditional credit was applied until the chargeback funds received.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PAllinson said:

So we cancelled our trip on the Endeavor for June 6, 2022 and requested a full refund after waiting for our refund we placed a dispute with our citibank mastercard on 9/3/2020. Crystal responded to our citi dispute claiming that the disputed amount was wrong, claiming that the correct amount was $1000 less than our deposit. I recontacted citi and informed them that the admin fee was supposed to be waved per Crystal's website and the dispute was re-initiated at the full deposit amount. Citi now wants us to authorize a chargeback so they can pull the money back from crystal's bank account. Conditional credit was applied until the chargeback funds received.

 

 

The yacht cruises are $500pp for FCC, which they do take out of the deposit amount they refund.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

Now i have one more dispute to get settled and i'll be an extremely happy crystal cruiser.

 

I can't tell whether you're being serious or facetious about being happy with Crystal.  It sounds like you should be happy with BofA instead.  What was the date of the cancellation for which you received the conditional credit? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Vegas Cruiser said:

Oh my gosh finally got a credit on my Capital One credit card today for almost the entire amount I paid.

Was this a temporary credit or is the dispute resolved with payment from Crystal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PooSeattle ski bum I filed my dispute on June 12th with Bank of America Visa and the Cruise  was for September 25th 2021 I know it's just a conditional credit I'm not going to spend the money but at least I feel like I've made some progress.  Yes I still like crystal and I'm hoping they can get their act together real soon.  I do have a Mediterranean cruise booked for November 2022 on the Symphony and and I really want to go on it god willing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...