Crystal Refund Roll Call

SusieQft. I cannot figure out how to respond to specific posts. To answer your question, this seems to be a permanent dispute resolution but the credit was from Capital One. I think they contacted Crystal and found that the money was in fact due to us. Rather than wait for Crystal to issue the refund (since it's been six months since the cancellation) they gave us the credit. I am sure they will reach out to Crystal for reimbursement. We are still waiting for our $8,000 deposit to be refunded. Hopefully Capital One will issue us a credit for that one as well.

4 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

PooSeattle ski bum I filed my dispute on June 12th with Bank of America Visa and the Cruise  was for September 25th 2021.

What I really wanted to know was when you canceled your cruise with Crystal.  I'm assuming it probably was at least 90 days before you filed your dispute with BofA.  Thanks!

Edited by seattleskibums
On 9/11/2020 at 10:27 PM, Vegas Cruiser said:

SusieQft. I cannot figure out how to respond to specific posts. To answer your question, this seems to be a permanent dispute resolution but the credit was from Capital One. I think they contacted Crystal and found that the money was in fact due to us. Rather than wait for Crystal to issue the refund (since it's been six months since the cancellation) they gave us the credit. I am sure they will reach out to Crystal for reimbursement. We are still waiting for our $8,000 deposit to be refunded. Hopefully Capital One will issue us a credit for that one as well.

You may want to check with Capital One to be sure this is a permanent credit rather than a temporary one.  After my  latest dispute I filed with my  CC company regarding a deposit for a cancelled Crystal cruise I was quickly provided a temporary "refund", pending an investigation.  I was advised that if the CC company required more information from me I would be contacted within 10 days, and that it could take up to 35 days for them to resolve the situation with Crystal. In the meantime I am not responsible for the charges, but my refund is not finalized. 

First, I would like to thank everyone for posting their experiences. After reading all this thread, I acted based on ensuring I stayed within the time limits for chase cc disputes. I did not feel I could wait for Crystal to refund on its own initiative and still remain within time limits for disputes based on my payment dates. Everything went quickly and smoothly. 

Cruise date- Feb 19, 2021 Cancelled by me on July 6th

chase cc dispute filed Aug 23 by phone- I answered a few questions and was told no documentation was needed at that time. 

aug 24 - temporary credit appeared on my account and it said dispute had been sent to Crystal

Sept 3- received notice that claim was closed and my credit became permanent.

On 9/11/2020 at 8:14 AM, PAllinson said:

So we cancelled our trip on the Endeavor for June 6, 2022 and requested a full refund after waiting for our refund we placed a dispute with our citibank mastercard on 9/3/2020. Crystal responded to our citi dispute claiming that the disputed amount was wrong, claiming that the correct amount was $1000 less than our deposit. I recontacted citi and informed them that the admin fee was supposed to be waved per Crystal's website and the dispute was re-initiated at the full deposit amount. Citi now wants us to authorize a chargeback so they can pull the money back from crystal's bank account. Conditional credit was applied until the chargeback funds received.

Question, notwithstanding the admin fee in dispute did Crystal and citi confirm that the rest of your refund is now final? Thanks 

On 6/23/2020 at 5:15 PM, TheKingD said:

SusieQft, we were booked on the Ravel for a cruise to begin on April 24, 2020, and we waited for Crystal to cancel, which they did on March 20 .  We decided to receive 100% refund, and our TA advised us on March 27 that Crystal confirmed our decision and that we would receive the 100% refund.  We are getting close to the 90-day mark, and I checked my AmEx account today and there is no mention of a refund yet.  I'll let you know when the refund shows up.  Thanks for doing this, and take good care.

Cindy & John 

We have been sitting tight, probably letting all the disputes get ahead of us as Crystal employees had to prioritize those as they let us patient folks stay on the back burner.  My 100% refunds arrived in my AmEx account yesterday, so I am officially signing off this message board, and I hope everyone else has good results.  I'm planning to still cruise with Crystal when the time comes, and I look forward to cruising with happy people and enjoying a nice vacation, and I hope the rest of you find a new cruise line you like!

22 hours ago, floridafolks said:

I did not feel I could wait for Crystal to refund on its own initiative and still remain within time limits for disputes based on my payment dates.

It truly is good to hear that some lucky people who didn't sit back and trust Crystal like we did are getting refunds through their credit card companies.  Our question, floridafolks, is would you ever cruise with Crystal again?  Please don't forget the many people Crystal have abandoned.  At some point Crystal Cruises has to be accountable for its deceitful practices.  We fell for their "refund policy" lies and now are stuck with no recourse.  Happy trails to you!

Has any Canadian had an issue with Crystal refunds on their credit card?  I paid in full $19,565 USD for a cruise in November which was cancelled.  After reviewing the thread about the wait times for a refund on Cruise Critic I filed a dispute with Visa to ensure I receive the monies in a timely manner for my cancelled cruise.  Visa did a purchase adjustment for one amount, which was about half,  in the exact monies I paid in Canadian funds.  Crystal then applied a refund in USD for this amount which is about $700 Canadian short of the amount I originally paid.  In speaking with Visa, they advised it is up to Crystal to reimburse the amount paid in Canadian funds and they would be reversing the Purchase Adjustment on my credit card.  So I stand to lose approx. $700 Canadian dollars on this one transaction.   I queried this as I am sure Crystal will come back with we reimbursed the exact amount of USD, if exchange rates have changed that is not their problem.  In addition, Crystal is charging 2.5% Visa fees in reimbursement.  Has anyone in Canada been successful in recouping the original Canadian dollars charged on their Visa?  If not what did you do?

Thanks, appreciate responses as I stand to lose a considerable amount of money

Ellie

2 hours ago, misseli said:

I queried this as I am sure Crystal will come back with we reimbursed the exact amount of USD, if exchange rates have changed that is not their problem.  In addition, Crystal is charging 2.5% Visa fees in reimbursement.  

As much as we detest some of Crystal's business practices, you really can't fault them over foreign exchange rates.  More than half of our 24 travel-related refunds have been from abroad.  We have lost in the euro, pound and Canadian dollar transactions, but profited with the New Zealand dollar refunds.  Now if Crystal actually is deducting a Visa fee from your refund, that sounds a bit slimy.

3 hours ago, misseli said:

Has any Canadian had an issue with Crystal refunds on their credit card?  I paid in full $19,565 USD for a cruise in November which was cancelled.  After reviewing the thread about the wait times for a refund on Cruise Critic I filed a dispute with Visa to ensure I receive the monies in a timely manner for my cancelled cruise.  Visa did a purchase adjustment for one amount, which was about half,  in the exact monies I paid in Canadian funds.  Crystal then applied a refund in USD for this amount which is about $700 Canadian short of the amount I originally paid.  In speaking with Visa, they advised it is up to Crystal to reimburse the amount paid in Canadian funds and they would be reversing the Purchase Adjustment on my credit card.  So I stand to lose approx. $700 Canadian dollars on this one transaction.   I queried this as I am sure Crystal will come back with we reimbursed the exact amount of USD, if exchange rates have changed that is not their problem.  In addition, Crystal is charging 2.5% Visa fees in reimbursement.  Has anyone in Canada been successful in recouping the original Canadian dollars charged on their Visa?  If not what did you do?

Thanks, appreciate responses as I stand to lose a considerable amount of money

Ellie

As a TA in Canada I have had clients run into this problem over the years. The supplier is only required to reimburse the amount they collected in the currency it was booked under. Any difference in exchange rates are the responsibility of the customer. If the rate had gone the other way, you would have been ahead $700.00 and Crystal would not have asked for it back! As almost all lines now book in CAD$ (Crystal being an exception) it is not as big an issue as it used to be. It is also why we have a US Dollar credit card issued by our bank.

7 hours ago, TheKingD said:

We have been sitting tight, probably letting all the disputes get ahead of us as Crystal employees had to prioritize those as they let us patient folks stay on the back burner.  My 100% refunds arrived in my AmEx account yesterday ...

Cindy & John: Do we understand correctly that you received a refund for a March 20 cancellation WITHOUT filing a credit card dispute?  If so, that's encouraging news, even though our March 13 cancellation still hasn't been refunded.

12 minutes ago, seattleskibums said:

Cindy & John: Do we understand correctly that you received a refund for a March 20 cancellation WITHOUT filing a credit card dispute?  If so, that's encouraging news, even though our March 13 cancellation still hasn't been refunded.

You are correct.  The refund showed up as two separate amounts - one for the deposit and one for the balance.  We use a TA who has worked with us for over 20 years, including over 10 Crystal cruises for a group of friends, and I asked him last week if I needed to be doing anything since this message board is full of anxious people whining and filing disputes.  I'm not sure what he did, but I suspect he contacted someone.  I'm not going to look that gift horse in the mouth!

54 minutes ago, TheKingD said:

You are correct.  The refund showed up as two separate amounts - one for the deposit and one for the balance.  We use a TA who has worked with us for over 20 years, including over 10 Crystal cruises for a group of friends, and I asked him last week if I needed to be doing anything since this message board is full of anxious people whining and filing disputes.  I'm not sure what he did, but I suspect he contacted someone.  I'm not going to look that gift horse in the mouth!

Whining might be a strong word - concerned, exasperated, pi-- ed off, mystified, upset - maybe.  Many wonder about the non-existent transparency in the process and the total lack of communication.  Your patience may be legendary on this thread - more than 160 days.  But it is nice to know that Crystal has nearly cleared March's requested refunds,

6 hours ago, misseli said:

Crystal then applied a refund in USD for this amount which is about $700 Canadian short of the amount I originally paid.  In speaking with Visa, they advised it is up to Crystal to reimburse the amount paid in Canadian funds and they would be reversing the Purchase Adjustment on my credit card.  So I stand to lose approx. $700 Canadian dollars on this one transaction.   I queried this as I am sure Crystal will come back with we reimbursed the exact amount of USD, if exchange rates have changed that is not their problem.  In addition, Crystal is charging 2.5% Visa fees in reimbursement.  Has anyone in Canada been successful in recouping the original Canadian dollars charged on their Visa?  If not what did you do?

Indeed, we've got caught the same, on a few occasions.  Not Crystal's problem, I'm afraid, they work in USD and the conversion is your treat.  Take the Royal Bank's rates for today.  If you bought something that was USD $1000, your VISA bill would show CAD $1347.80.  If you later got a refund of US $1000 from the merchant, your VISA bill would show a credit of CAD $1277.30.  You just lost CAD $70.50 due to the difference between buying and selling rates.  So on ten grand, for example, that would be $705.00.  What is worse is that some banks not only take you to the cleaners on the conversion rates but then add insult by charging another 3% for quotes "Foreign exchange" on top of that.  That is not common in Canada, though.

5 hours ago, almostretired said:

But it is nice to know that Crystal has nearly cleared March's requested refunds.

We're not so sure that's true.  We're at Day 185 waiting for our refund for two cruises Crystal canceled on March 13.  TheKingD just might have been lucky to have a travel agent with some pull at Crystal.  Except for his experience, we have not seen any evidence that anyone else who hasn't filed a dispute with their credit card company has been refunded.  

We are happy for Cindy & John, but if Crystal is making refunds as favors for select agents, Crystal Cruises is even scuzzier than we thought possible.  Unfortunately, Crystal no longer seems to be responding to emails, so it's impossible to get info about how they decide who gets a refund and who doesn't.  It obviously is not in the order of cancellation.  This company is beyond belief and its CEO should be held accountable. 

6 hours ago, TheKingD said:

I'm not sure what he did, but I suspect he contacted someone.  I'm not going to look that gift horse in the mouth!

And you shouldn't look that gift horse in the mouth. We are happy for you and Cindy, but if Crystal is making refunds as favors for select agents, we hope you will return to this forum and let us know.  If you find out your travel agent was able to grease your refund without your filing a dispute with your credit card company, we're sure there are plenty of people here who would appreciate that information.  

I got my refund for a cruise I cancelled on March 11 on July 3 after 114 days.  A little less than two weeks before that I told my TA I was giving them 4 days and then I was filing a dispute.  She called me back and said they were "processing" my refund that day.  So I waited a week for it to show up, and then I tried calling Crystal myself.  They initially refused to tell me anything at all.  However, they did allow me to vent a bit and then ended up admitting that my refund was still "pending."  I let my TA know about the call and also that I was not waiting any longer to file the dispute.  I had a hard deadline in mind to file the dispute early in July because of the date of the original deposit.  Again, she called Crystal and this time they told her they issued the refund while she was on the phone with them.  So I waited some more.  It took 3 days after that for the refund (in two parts) to get to my credit card and then 2 more days before I could see it there. 

I don't know if the double whammy of my TA calling them right after I did made any difference, but I was happy with the result.  I think it was the threat of the credit card dispute that did it, and I did not have to actually file the dispute.  But I did have to make the threat twice before it worked, three times if you count my call in addition to the two from my TA.

Thanks for all the info from everyone this thread. It's very helpful. from what I understand I cannot dispute a charge with the credit card company (Chase Sapphire preferred) until 90 days after my TA files for a refund? Or has anyone successfully disputed the charge with Chase in less than 90 days? 

This was for a cruise that Crystal cancelled that was supposed to sail in July 2020. I did not ask my TA to file for a refund until last month. 

7 minutes ago, juicyjuju said:

Thanks for all the info from everyone this thread. It's very helpful. from what I understand I cannot dispute a charge with the credit card company (Chase Sapphire preferred) until 90 days after my TA files for a refund? Or has anyone successfully disputed the charge with Chase in less than 90 days? 

This was for a cruise that Crystal cancelled that was supposed to sail in July 2020. I did not ask my TA to file for a refund until last month. 

No, that is not correct.

We cancelled a January 2021 cruise on July 23.  TA said to expect 120 days for refund. We filed a dispute with Chase about a month later, thanks to advice on this board.  They denied part of the dispute because initial payments had been made more than 18 months ago. For the remainder of our payments, they fairly quickly approved the portion made on my wife’s card (we split among two cards to maximize trip cancellation benefit.) On my card, they gave me temporary credit and are allowing Crystal 30 days to respond.

I have no idea why they handled each claim differently.  My wife was able to get a cash refund from Chase of the full amount by EFT into our bank account.

16 minutes ago, LAexNY said:

No, that is not correct.

We cancelled a January 2021 cruise on July 23.  TA said to expect 120 days for refund. We filed a dispute with Chase about a month later, thanks to advice on this board.  They denied part of the dispute because initial payments had been made more than 18 months ago. For the remainder of our payments, they fairly quickly approved the portion made on my wife’s card (we split among two cards to maximize trip cancellation benefit.) On my card, they gave me temporary credit and are allowing Crystal 30 days to respond.

I have no idea why they handled each claim differently.  My wife was able to get a cash refund from Chase of the full amount by EFT into our bank account.

Thanks that's very helpful. 

3 hours ago, juicyjuju said:

I was told by  Chase that the refund request needed to be within 536 days of payment- about  a year and a half and also within 90 days that the service was not received- ie. 90 days after the sail date. If your sail date was in July, you should file the dispute by October. 

Edited by Benita
8 minutes ago, Benita said:

I was told by  Chase that the refund request needed to be within 536 days of payment- about  a year and a half and also within 90 days that the service was not received- ie. 90 days after the sail date. If your sail date was in July, you should file the dispute by October. 

Thank you. I emailed my TA to get the date she requested the refund. 

13 hours ago, SusieQft said:

I got my refund for a cruise I cancelled on March 11 on July 3 after 114 days.  A little less than two weeks before that I told my TA I was giving them 4 days and then I was filing a dispute. ... I don't know if the double whammy of my TA calling them right after I did made any difference, but I was happy with the result.  I think it was the threat of the credit card dispute that did it, and I did not have to actually file the dispute.  But I did have to make the threat twice before it worked, three times if you count my call in addition to the two from my TA.

Obviously, the way to go with Crystal now is to file a dispute as soon as possible -- or at least threaten to.  We feel like real fools for trusting them and actually rebooking the cruises they canceled on March 13.  In hindsight, we wish we would have asked for the 100% refund and filed a dispute with Amex.  We would urge everyone not to accept Crystal's FCC offer if your cruise is canceled.  That only complicates the dispute process because you in effect are just kicking the can down the road.

We thought we were dealing with a reputable company, but that turns out not to be the case.  No matter how much slack anyone is willing to give Crystal over the worldwide cash crunch, the fact remains that this company has been lying with its deceptive "refund policy."  Add to that the fact that they apparently have stopped responding to emails, they really are looking like a sleazy operation.

All it would take to right the ship a little would be a statement on the website by Tom Wolber addressing many of the refund problems and explaining what Crystal hopes to do to resolve them.  Yes, we know he can't start printing money, but he can make an honest attempt to explain how you got a refund in 114 days and we still are waiting for ours on Day 186 -- not that we aren't happy for you..

4 hours ago, LAexNY said:

Did they do this because Crystal approved that part of the refund, but not your part?  Or did they allow her to withdraw the temporary credit?