Jump to content

Crystal Refund Roll Call


Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, John Wooden said:

Crystal will not be sailing in January 2021 ...  

 

Do you honestly think Crystal will be going out of business?  Don't you think a reorganization of the cruise operation is more likely?  Either way, your advice to those who are eligible to file disputes through their credit card companies is spot-on.   We do wonder about your math skills, however.  It seems that $25,000 would buy 625,000 shares of Genting at 4 cents a share.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, commodoredave said:

if Crystal's management is so numerically challenged that they can't count how long 120 days is, can we expect their spelling and English comprehension to be much better?


I am fairly sure your refund was correctly applied and you now are able to relax whilst considering your next vacation.   If and when our refund is processed and finally finds it’s way to our bank,  will I continue to monitor these boards out of habit I wonder?
Probably yes, in order to check on those names which have become so familiar and how their situations have resolved.  Until then it’s back to watching and waiting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, seattleskibums said:

 

Do you honestly think Crystal will be going out of business?  Don't you think a reorganization of the cruise operation is more likely?  Either way, your advice to those who are eligible to file disputes through their credit card companies is spot-on.   We do wonder about your math skills, however.  It seems that $25,000 would buy 625,000 shares of Genting at 4 cents a share.

Several of us are afraid that Crystal will go out of business. For your posts, I assume you will not cruise with Crystal again, so this might not be relevant to you. But, will you continue to cruise? Do you have another cruise line you enjoy?
Ivi

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Several of us are afraid that Crystal will go out of business. For your posts, I assume you will not cruise with Crystal again, so this might not be relevant to you. But, will you continue to cruise? Do you have another cruise line you enjoy?

 

So you think Crystal might disappear completely without being reorganized or sold?  What do you base that on?  Even if Crystal is sold, wouldn't the new owners extend some sort of goodwill to Crystal's former customers to keep their new enterprise afloat?  Whatever happens, it still is relevant to us because we made the mistake of trusting Crystal, taking the FCC for our canceled cruises and rebooking them for 2021.  That means we're still on the hook for about $12K -- not as much as others, but a significant sum.

 

Yes, we would not rebook with Crystal again because of their lies, misinformation and poor communication, but we definitely will continue to cruise.  We have an Africa cruise in December with Regent that still has not been canceled, but we expect it will be soon because the final payment date is approaching.  It is our first booking with Regent, so we can't comment on their service at sea.  We have cruised with Silversea and Seabourn multiple times and have been pleased with those lines.  That's not to say they are perfect.  Both have shortcomings, but we are realists for the most part, not idealists. 

 

As we've said before, the Crystal experience at sea has been the best for us, but the "shoreside" experience has been dreadful.  We have had problems with all six of our Crystal bookings.  The resolutions have been far from what most people would expect of a luxury cruise line.  We already were considering staying away from Crystal even before this refund fiasco, so you can imagine how this has pushed us over the edge.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing that would save Crystal at this point would be the immediate resumption of cruising...and that’s not going to happen.  No business model that relies upon the close social interactions of an elderly demographic with pre-existing medical conditions in enclosed spaces will be allowed to resume business prior to the mass distribution (6-9 months after release) of an effective vaccine.   It doesn’t matter if they come out with Crystal Clean 8.0, no North American based cruise line will likely sail until at least this time next year.   This is the sad reality and why Crystal has no good news to report.

 

Will they survive until this time next year?   Likely not.   At least not in their current form.   As was noted in a prior post, wouldn’t a restructured company want to extend an olive branch to its loyal customers?   Well, maybe, but why?   The whole point of a restructuring is to off-load debt and liabilities, not take them on.   Most likely, the old Crystal will go into receivership, sell it’s assets (ships), and be legally forced in 3-5 years from now to pay creditors pennies on the dollar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BerberBear said:

The only thing that would save Crystal at this point would be the immediate resumption of cruising...and that’s not going to happen.  No business model that relies upon the close social interactions of an elderly demographic with pre-existing medical conditions in enclosed spaces will be allowed to resume business prior to the mass distribution (6-9 months after release) of an effective vaccine.   It doesn’t matter if they come out with Crystal Clean 8.0, no North American based cruise line will likely sail until at least this time next year.   This is the sad reality and why Crystal has no good news to report.

 

Will they survive until this time next year?   Likely not.   At least not in their current form.   As was noted in a prior post, wouldn’t a restructured company want to extend an olive branch to its loyal customers?   Well, maybe, but why?   The whole point of a restructuring is to off-load debt and liabilities, not take them on.   Most likely, the old Crystal will go into receivership, sell it’s assets (ships), and be legally forced in 3-5 years from now to pay creditors pennies on the dollar.

It is a sad reality but it's not just cruise lines.  They are expecting 30-50% of restaurants, hotels and other travel related businesses to close also.   There are many sectors of the world wide economy to take a huge hit.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also do not think that Crystal will survive.  I have enjoyed my 8 or 9 cruises on them very much.  I am not a person who is completed “invested” in them or any other cruise line that I would be devastated if they went under.  i would be sad but I know the many crew members would find other positions.  My life does not revolve around being a Crystal “insider” with contacts in their office and recognition from corporate and onboard staff.  These people Will probably take it harder than most.

 

There are lots of great cruiselines out there and yet I don't see me on any of them until at least 2022.

 

I have been enjoying lots of road trips in the US (5 so far) and am looking forward to exploring and discovering places I have never been in the USA.    Cruises were a nice part of my life but I have moved on.  I hope others will.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2020 at 9:36 PM, canadianINtexas said:

Worried I may have waited too long to dispute the deposit we made with Crystal.    Cruise was planned for Dec 2021, deposit was made in October 2019 and we cancelled on April 8th.    I called Amex tonight and they are saying that the dispute needed to be made within 60 days of our cancelling.   I called them out on that statement saying that still would have been well within the 90 day refund processing period Crystal was spouting such that there was nothing they would've/could've done at that time.   She's going to do a some research and get back to me tomorrow.  Fingers crossed they can over-ride their system.   For what it's worth, we're platinum card holders.    

Just an update - after speaking to a different rep at Amex, they reopened the claim.   Looks like the refund has already been applied to our account (less than one day later!) despite our not yet having provided documentation showing our cancellation and follow up email to the agent.  Refund amount is off by $200 (ie. we basically have paid a $600 admin fee when really it should only be $400) but, at this point, we're willing to take that "loss" and are just happy to be made close to whole.

 

We truly hope Crystal makes it through to the other side as we definitely would sail with them again.  That said, we will not be booking so far in advance the next time!

Edited by canadianINtexas
Link to post
Share on other sites

Would I ever sail on Crystal against?  No, no matter what they offered.  Future cruising?  I would not book another cruise until 6 months after every cruise line that will still be operating and operating as in the past.  We will not cruise if facemasks, social distancing and required group tours from the ship are the order of the day.  Will Crystal survive?  In its present form , I think not.  Many airlines in the past went bankrupt and their assets were sold, bondholders received pennies on the dollar and the common stockholders were wiped out.  Someone will buy their ships and they will sail again.  One thing that I have learned and will do in the future is never book anything more than a few months or less in advance.  Believe, once cruising  gets underway anyone who wants to book a last minute cruise will be able to get it on most ships.  The cruise lines will be starving for cash.  Anyone giving 2 cents to Crystal for a future may have better luck  going into a casino, at least the house only keeps a small percent of the take and if you are lucky you might even win.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy Crystal and they have a trip in Sept 2022 that interests me however I would not book anything on any line now. I will wait until the lines are back cruising and ports are back open. Reason is all of it is just unknown at this point.  As we all know the line can change the trip at any time at their whim, no one knows how cruising will look with masks etc., no one knows how insurance companies will treat a person my age (73) and no one knows how other countries will treat Americans in the future. So I will keep my money in my account and see how it all unfolds.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I have said before, I would not hesitate to cruise with Crystal again. We have 3 cruises booked with them. One for 2021 and 2 for 2022. Substantial amounts of money allocated to those cruises. 
I hope and wish that Crystal survives.

In the future, I would not book again any cruise with any cruise line so far in advance. I would cruise again hopefully, but my bookings will be three months in advance at the most. No way we will be making final payments 6 months in advance.
Ivi

Link to post
Share on other sites

We can hardly wait for Tom Wolber's 2020 holiday greetings.

 

https://blog.crystalcruises.com/holiday-wishes-from-tom-wolber/

 

No, we don't blame him or anyone at Crystal for the coronavirus.  No, we don't expect him to start printing money.  We realize all of the circumstances that are out of his control.  But in this extraordinary year, it would be nice if he would surface to give the "Crystal Family" some sort of realistic assessment of how he views the current situation.  We're not looking for financial details or news that the Crystal team is working on a vaccine.  All that's necessary is an apology for the excuses, lies and misinformation this company has been spouting for months.  Let's get real, Tom.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, John Wooden said:

We will not cruise if facemasks, social distancing and required group tours from the ship are the order of the day.

 

Good point, John.  We feel the same way.  We cruise to relax and enjoy ourselves.  Although not the intent, the conditions you describe would make us feel like suspected criminals.  It would be interesting to hear from others if they would accept masking, spacing and isolation restrictions in order to cruise.  Our guess is that most cruise lines probably would not consider such restrictions to be conducive to a pleasant cruise experience despite their eagerness to get back on the seas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, seattleskibums said:

 

Good point, John.  We feel the same way.  We cruise to relax and enjoy ourselves.  Although not the intent, the conditions you describe would make us feel like suspected criminals.  It would be interesting to hear from others if they would accept masking, spacing and isolation restrictions in order to cruise.  Our guess is that most cruise lines probably would not consider such restrictions to be conducive to a pleasant cruise experience despite their eagerness to get back on the seas.

 

1) Cruise lines are starved for income.  Any income.

2) They're desperately trying to figure out how to generate that w/o causing illness among both crew and passengers (both bad for business.)

3) The safety measures implemented to respond to point two will be tolerable to some pax, not so to others (we're in the latter category.)

4) This is all perfectly obvious, but we will all keep beating this dead horse.

5) This too shall pass.  We just hope to still be around when it does.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

4) This is all perfectly obvious, but we will all keep beating this dead horse.

5) This too shall pass.  We just hope to still be around when it does.  

 

We assume the dead horse you are referring to is the one in the Crystal boardroom.  Your "this too shall pass" observation is as certain as Christmas coming in December, although by no means do we expect the passage to occur before Christmas.  How "this" shall pass will depend a lot on leadership -- something that apparently is lacking at Crystal Cruises.

 

So what exactly is your point?  That the people who have come here with thousands of dollars at risk should be patient and give Crystal another six months to come clean?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2020 at 1:13 AM, John Wooden said:

Would I ever sail on Crystal against?  No, no matter what they offered.  Future cruising?  I would not book another cruise until 6 months after every cruise line that will still be operating and operating as in the past.  We will not cruise if facemasks, social distancing and required group tours from the ship are the order of the day.  Will Crystal survive?  In its present form , I think not.  Many airlines in the past went bankrupt and their assets were sold, bondholders received pennies on the dollar and the common stockholders were wiped out.  Someone will buy their ships and they will sail again.  One thing that I have learned and will do in the future is never book anything more than a few months or less in advance.  Believe, once cruising  gets underway anyone who wants to book a last minute cruise will be able to get it on most ships.  The cruise lines will be starving for cash.  Anyone giving 2 cents to Crystal for a future may have better luck  going into a casino, at least the house only keeps a small percent of the take and if you are lucky you might even win.

We feel the same --- and are having serious in house discussions as to whether we will join the January Serenity cruise from Miami to LA as booked.  The pre-cruise Covid test is useless,  insurance issues abound, wearing masks at shows, group tours only, etc.  seriously degrade the reasons we enjoy cruising.  We have time (final payment in early November) but seems pushing the next cruise out for six more months is an option.  Still wondering when Crystal will cancel the 2021 WC?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John Wooden said:

January 2021 Serenity Cruise from Miami to LA.  I do no think you will need to worry about this cruise because it will not happen.  You can expect the cancellation notice to happen in late October to early November 2020.  No vaccine = no cruising in US waters.

 

The CDC had planned to extend the no cruise order to mid-February, however under political pressure from Florida, and the VP, the extension will expire Oct 31. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2020 at 9:55 AM, seattleskibums said:

We can hardly wait for Tom Wolber's 2020 holiday greetings.

All that's necessary is an apology for the excuses, lies and misinformation this company has been spouting for months.  Let's get real, Tom.  


How do you know Crystal’s management team is still intact? Perhaps they’ve been furloughed ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

 

The CDC had planned to extend the no cruise order to mid-February, however under political pressure from Florida, and the VP, the extension will expire Oct 31. 


Here’s the NY Times article re. 
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/30/health/covid-cruise-ships.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20200930&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta&regi_id=140362676&segment_id=39445&user_id=e63dec154a3ff679ed8b7c92bfaa7f9b

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roland4 said:

 

The CDC had planned to extend the no cruise order to mid-February, however under political pressure from Florida, and the VP, the extension will expire Oct 31. 

So who is going to get on a cruise ship in 31 days in Florida in November 2020?  Do I have any takers?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, seattleskibums said:

So what exactly is your point?  That the people who have come here with thousands of dollars at risk should be patient and give Crystal another six months to come clean?

 

I beg your pardon for not making my point clear:  anyone who has the financial capability to put thousands of dollars at risk on an expensive vacation has the luxury of being patient.  The refund delay may be inconvenient, but to you it is nothing more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John Wooden said:

So who is going to get on a cruise ship in 31 days in Florida in November 2020?  Do I have any takers?

 

Not us, but I suspect a lot will depend on how the lines re-start. There is no question there is pent-up demand, certainly not among my clients, but when Carnival announced plans to start back in August they had big demand! The CLIA guidelines are essentially the same as the RCI/NCLH Healthy Sail recommendations, and while not my cup of tea, they will appeal to those who are "desperate" to cruise. I would guess there will be initial short cruises, with stops in the Caribbean limited to private islands, while they "test run" the protocols and see where the inevitable kinks will occur. Sadly, as others have commented, all it will take is another Diamond Princess event to push the entire industry back into lockdown, and that is my biggest fear as a cruise TA!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OceanPatter said:


How do you know Crystal’s management team is still intact? Perhaps they’ve been furloughed ...

I may be mistaken, but I thought several months ago Crystal did say that its top executives were working without pay for the rest of the year, or some indeterminate time frame.  If that is the case, human nature would suggest the possibility that they are not giving the job their full effort?  It would also make it difficult to recruit replacements for any who leave the company.

Edited by SusieQft
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...