Crystal Refund Roll Call

I just received a similar response to an email I sent this morning.......

OfficeofthePresident OfficeofthePresident@crystalcruises.comHide

To marc
Cc OfficeofthePresident OfficeofthePresident@crystalcruises.com

Good Day Mr. ,

We appreciate your email to the office of President, Jack Anderson, in regards to your refund status. We are responding on his behalf.

We would like reassure you that refunds are being processed. The fact is we are working in a methodical and orderly manner by cancellation date in our system and moving forward. Your booking has a cancellation date of April 1st and your refund will process when those transactions are reached. Regrettably, I do not have a firm date for that to occur. Nevertheless, I want to reassure you that Crystal remains committed to honoring our contractual obligations with you, our guests and our partners, including the processing of refunds.

We are working very hard to accommodate any refund and/or offer related to the voyage cancellations.  We sincerely apologize for the delayed refund and are treating this process as our highest priority.  We thank you for your understanding and we appreciate your patience.

Best Regards,

Oscar Vicente

Special Assistant to the Office of the President

1501 Biscayne Boulevard | Suite 501 | Miami, FL 33132

Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2020 11:09 AM
To: OfficeofthePresident <OfficeofthePresident@crystalcruises.com>
Subject: BK 2126917 / 2126919 / 2126922 - Refund

It is now 188 days and I have not received a refund for the three payments I made on January 22, 2019 for 3 cabins.

As Crystal did not refund any of the other money owed, thankfully Chase did so, but not for the three January 2019 payments stating that they were too old to dispute.

How about refunding the money owed to me?  Don't you think 188 days is long enoug to wait?

Marc

1 hour ago, DeanHenderson said:

Hello everyone,

I won't copy and paste my reply from the Office of the President as it's exactly the same as the 2 posted above. I also rang Crystal yesterday and they told me they were up to April cancellations. 

Dean

Therefore I can assume any requests for refunds made in June 2020 for crystal cancelled cruises still have sixty days to wait  — should be a wonderful holiday gift but definitely not to be used for a Crystal Cruise 😟😟

11 minutes ago, BettyNL said:

Therefore I can assume any requests for refunds made in June 2020 for crystal cancelled cruises still have sixty days to wait  — should be a wonderful holiday gift but definitely not to be used for a Crystal Cruise 😟😟

Extrapolating from past information, you are overly optimistic.  They seem to have started in on the March refunds in May, and it took them 5 months to complete March.  Now they are working on April.  If it takes 5 months each to do April and May, they will start on May in March, and will start on June 2020 in August 2021. 

We can hope that there were more refund requests in March than in later months, and/or that Crystal finds a source of funds somewhere during that span of time, which could speed up the pace of future refunds.  Or maybe their funds will get even scarcer, and the pending refunds could take even longer.  Hopefully the number of refund dollars requested are decreasing with time, and at some point Crystal will be able to catch up.

2 hours ago, DeanHenderson said:

Hello everyone,

I won't copy and paste my reply from the Office of the President as it's exactly the same as the 2 posted above. I also rang Crystal yesterday and they told me they were up to April cancellations. 

Dean

Hi Dean,

That’s good to know ~ thank you. I believe our 22nd. May, 2020 cruise was cancelled on 2nd. April, 2020.  Maybe not too much longer now.

Ann & Paul. 

SusieQft said:

"Hopefully the number of refund dollars requested are decreasing with time, and at some point Crystal will be able to catch up."

I DO hope the same, however, after getting paid my final payment of August 2020 cruise through dispute, I am owed  over $6,000 for the deposit of same cruise, now over 120 days old, and I am getting tempted to cancel my January 2021 cruise (along with 5 other couples that will follow me) due to  very poor refund behavior by Crystal. And I have a feeling this type of  "attitude" may be prevalent among other Crystal cruisers. Consequently I doubt that  " requested refund dollars " would be decreasing , but hope I am wrong !!  

3 minutes ago, docmark said:

I am getting tempted to cancel my January 2021 cruise (along with 5 other couples that will follow me)

I seriously doubt there will be cruising in January 2021 - I admire your optimism but where are you expecting them to sail to?

2 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I seriously doubt there will be cruising in January 2021 - I admire your optimism but where are you expecting them to sail to?

I agree with you completely, however, Crystal has not cancelled  it yet, and pushed  due date for final payment to later in November.  My present thinking is possibly cancelling in  next 2 weeks to follow up later with disputing  it through Chase.

---My "optimism" is no more than a 10% chance of cruise happening.  

We cancelled our Jan. 2021 booking in July.  I was pretty sure that it would not sail, and if it did I was pretty sure I would not be comfortable to cruise yet, anyway.  I considered keeping it and waiting for Crystal to cancel to get the 125% FCC, but decided that the risk of never being able to cash in that FCC was just too high.  If I had waited for Crystal to cancel and then asked for a cash refund, it would have been too late to dispute it with my credit card.  I have done that and am still waiting.  Crystal still has 3 more weeks to respond, per my Citi Visa card.

Another thing that tipped the scales for us is that at that time Crystal started giving 110% FCC for river cruises and I was afraid that they might carry that over to the ocean sailings. That would have wiped out any possible benefit to waiting for Crystal to cancel.  They did cancel some ocean sailings at 125% since then, so that fear MAY have been unfounded.  We were about to go into penalty phase and become ineligible for a 100% cash refund (minus admin penalties), so we pulled the plug.

I think a lot of people were having the same thoughts and actions that we did, and shortly after that Crystal did make some favorable changes to their cancellation policy.  I think that only happened as a last resort to stem the new flood of cancellations.  Still, I think that the number of cancellations have exceeded the number of new bookings for some time now, so the supply of existing bookings that can be cancelled for a cash refund must be getting smaller and smaller.  A higher and higher percentage of their remaining bookings are probably with FCCs (or mostly with FCCs), which will not add much more stress to the refund backlog if they are cancelled.  IMO, there will not be very many new cash bookings until they are sailing again. 

That is the rationale that gives me hope that they might be able to catch up on refunds at some point, as long as they can stay in business long enough.  Of course, it would be much better if they are able to start sailing again and then they can actually start generating revenue.  I hope that happens soon.

10 hours ago, comas said:

Hi Dean,

That’s good to know ~ thank you. I believe our 22nd. May, 2020 cruise was cancelled on 2nd. April, 2020.  Maybe not too much longer now.

Ann & Paul. 

Hello Ann & Paul, Yes it's ever so slowly getting closer.

Found this on the internet today:

Genting Gets German Government Bailout for MV Werften

October 07, 2020

Genting Hong Kong is set to receive 193 million euro from the German government as part of a bailout package for MV Werften, a consortium of shipyards the company owns in Germany.

With work suspended at MV Werften, the funds will allow Genting to continue construction on the Crystal Endeavor, which is set for a 2021 launch, as well as the Global Dream, now set to debut in 2022.

Following those two ships, the yard is expected to build sisters to the Crystal Endeavor, a sister to the Global Dream, as well as ocean-going ships for Crystal Cruises.

Genting also announced late last year it is offering a unique customer-ship platform to interested parties.

I sent an e-mail to Crystal to inquire about the status of my refunds for the September 2020 cruise that was cancelled.  I already managed to get the “final payment” portion of the refund through credit dispute, but Chase refused to dispute the down payment portion.  It has been over 90 days now, so I felt creating a “paper trail” was probably not a bad idea, so I sent Crystal a very strongly worded letter saying that I am due a refund, and I consider them to be in default of financial obligation to me.

Not surprisingly I received a glaringly insulting form letter back, saying that Crystal is “committed to meeting the financial obligations....”  Also, the letter, in an indirect manner, blamed the credit card companies for the delay in refunds.  I am very surprised that the corporate communication people at Crystal have not gotten rid of these lies from the form letter.   They only insult the customer more. These lies just made me less understanding of the the situation Crystal is in currently.

I am not exactly convinced that I will ever get any more back from Crystal, and even if I do, I don’t expect to be “made whole.”  I am not saying that the money Crystal owes me is killing me financially, but it is a shame that Crystal is allowed to enjoy an interest-free loan for the product that I will never receive.

I also have a down payment for a November 2021 river cruise.  I am not exactly sure if this will actual happen.  I thought about just cancelling it now, but I am not sure if I will get the deposit back any sooner.  Until this year, I have been participating in the early final payment plan with Crystal, but I am not going to do that for this cruise.

i feel so good now!  i have received my two deposit refunds through the help of bank of america visa dispute service.  the second refund arrived in the credit card yesterday so i'm done with the waiting game.  i do have a fully paid crystal symphony cruise for november 2022.  i really want to take that cruise and hope things will be ok by that date.  i'm not traveling anywhere between now and that cruise.  but i sure miss cruising especially with crystal.  hopefully the time will go fast and i'll be alive to enjoy it.

25 minutes ago, USC Adventurer said:

i feel so good now!  i have received my two deposit refunds through the help of bank of america visa dispute service.  the second refund arrived in the credit card yesterday so i'm done with the waiting game.  i do have a fully paid crystal symphony cruise for november 2022.  i really want to take that cruise and hope things will be ok by that date.  i'm not traveling anywhere between now and that cruise.  but i sure miss cruising especially with crystal.  hopefully the time will go fast and i'll be alive to enjoy it.

Why have you "fully" paid for a cruise two years from now? 

1 hour ago, TER777 said:

A friend asked me to report:

Crystal Symphony August 19, 2020 sailing.

He cancelled April 22, 2020.

Deposit refund received October 8, 2020, 169 days.

~$100 FCC for the admin fee.

Assuming the friend cancelled reservation BEFORE Crystal cancelled sailing .........therefore $100 ad. fee ??

This timing makes me "hopeful" of receiving my refund (requested June 5) before the end of the year !!

On 10/6/2020 at 4:03 PM, SusieQft said:

Extrapolating from past information, you are overly optimistic.  They seem to have started in on the March refunds in May, and it took them 5 months to complete March.  Now they are working on April.  If it takes 5 months each to do April and May, they will start on May in March, and will start on June 2020 in August 2021. 

We can hope that there were more refund requests in March than in later months, and/or that Crystal finds a source of funds somewhere during that span of time, which could speed up the pace of future refunds.  Or maybe their funds will get even scarcer, and the pending refunds could take even longer.  Hopefully the number of refund dollars requested are decreasing with time, and at some point Crystal will be able to catch up.

38 minutes ago, BettyNL said:

Assuming the friend cancelled reservation BEFORE Crystal cancelled sailing .........therefore $100 ad. fee ??

This timing makes me "hopeful" of receiving my refund (requested June 5) before the end of the year !!

Yes. That's why I said "he" cancelled rather than "Crystal" cancelled.

Scheduled sail date 10/29/2020

Crystal cancelled on 7/30/2020 prior to final payment

Refund requested 8/3/2020

No refund as of 10/9/2020

Crystal supposedly won't deduct admin fees from original $400 deposit (special $100 deposit per person per segment.)

I am not waiting on a huge refund, but I feel entitled to it just the same.

TA noted refund takes up to 90 days and notify her if not received by then.

We’re still waiting for a full refund on our cancelled Endeavour cruise which was fully paid for ages ago.  I realize the monumental cash flow challenge it must be for Crystal to administer these refunds however, I wonder if Crystal PR/marketing realizes how much damage to their reputation they are making by not dedicating someone to communicating what’s happening, on their end.   If we are to believe the current president that refunds are being dealt with in a systematic way, then why not just give us  a regular update on up to what date they have processed refunds?  At least then those of us who have been waiting past 90 days can have some idea of when to expect the refund.  Crystal should spend more time communicating to its loyal customer base than sending out, what seem now like, ridiculous e-mails about traveling.  It’s like serving refreshments as the ship sinks and all we want to know is when can we board the lifeboat or is it even there anymore?