Crystal Refund Roll Call

SusieQft

We had a friend, working for a refund via AmEx, have her requests denied by Crystal (partial refund).  She canceled a river cruise on 5/19 for a cruise due to leave on 9/19.  Crystal denied her request due to cancelation policy (per the letter in her AmEx file from Crystal).  Crystal had not yet canceled the cruise (I think they finally did it on 1 July).  Does anyone have the Crystal policy for cancelations in place in May?  

1 hour ago, almostretired said:

We had a friend, working for a refund via AmEx, have her requests denied by Crystal (partial refund).  She canceled a river cruise on 5/19 for a cruise due to leave on 9/19.  Crystal denied her request due to cancelation policy (per the letter in her AmEx file from Crystal).  Crystal had not yet canceled the cruise (I think they finally did it on 1 July).  Does anyone have the Crystal policy for cancelations in place in May?  

For cancellations Crystal sends 2 pieces of paper. One shows the credit card transactions, the other the FCCs.

Your friend should have received a 'payment confirmation' from Crystal. It shows the date of payment, the amount, and the 16 digit credit card number, with some numbers XXXXX. On the second line it shows the date of refund, the amount, and again the 16 digits with some XXXX. This may be enough for AMEX. Both go to the TA, so your friend may need to follow up with him/her.

The initial booking confirmation will clearly spell out the cancellation penalites in effect, for her specific cruise.

Edited by crickette

3 hours ago, almostretired said:

I don't have the May policy, but I did check the COVID-19 Advisories on the Crystal website, and the river cruises were cancelled July 31/20. IIRC standard final payment dates still applied, so a May cancellation of a September cruise would have invoked cancellation penalties even if the cruise was subsequently cancelled by the line. This is pretty much standard practice in the industry at the moment. We had a number of clients get caught this way early on and in each case the lines involved refused to reconsider.

1 hour ago, Roland4 said:

I don't have the May policy, but I did check the COVID-19 Advisories on the Crystal website, and the river cruises were cancelled July 31/20. IIRC standard final payment dates still applied, so a May cancellation of a September cruise would have invoked cancellation penalties even if the cruise was subsequently cancelled by the line. This is pretty much standard practice in the industry at the moment. We had a number of clients get caught this way early on and in each case the lines involved refused to reconsider.

The reason I need the exact policy is three couple were on the cruise.  We canceled one day apart.  The two who can eked one day later recurved dull refunds, one thru AmEx.  

Let me try asking a different question.  Did anyone who reads this thread, cancel a river or ocean cruise scheduled for 2020 before Crystal --- and who received a refund, either thru Crystal or via charge back.  Or does anyone have the refund policy for canceling cruises in 2020 before Crystal did?  Thanks.

1 hour ago, almostretired said:

Let me try asking a different question.  Did anyone who reads this thread, cancel a river or ocean cruise scheduled for 2020 before Crystal --- and who received a refund, either thru Crystal or via charge back.  Or does anyone have the refund policy for canceling cruises in 2020 before Crystal did?  Thanks.

Does this one help?

2 hours ago, crickette said:

Does this one help?

Thanks.  Just about the time I saw your post, I found the info in my trip folder.  I read the letter Crystal sent AmEx regarding my friends claim.  Clearly they cannot read their own policy - either on the original confirmation or their revived 9 March policy.  The confirmation document sent by Crystal documenting the cancelation showed the correct amount due, an amount Crystal later said their were not owed.  Our friend sent another letter to AmEx showing the original policy, the revised policy and the Crystal confirmation of the cancelation.  Has anyone been able to get their insurance money back?

6 hours ago, almostretired said:

I canceled my 2020 ocean cruise well before Crystal cancelled. It was before a final payment and Crystal had my deposit only.

I received my deposit back minus $100 admin fee (solo cruiser) via charge back.

I called Crystal and got $100 admin fee added as a credit to my future cruise in 2022 which was booked before the pandemic.

I did not have insurance for that 2020 cruise. 

I had a booking on another cruise line where I purchased only a medical evacuation insurance from an outside insurance company. I got my insurance premium refund in full (via a charge back) since this cruise was canceled.

A question:

I have a booking for March next year and I purchased a standard insurance policy from a major insurance company in February 2020. I anticipate that we would not be able to fly to UK next March.

Now insurance companies claim that they do not cover pandemic cancellations for policies purchased after January 29 (I believe).

Was someone able to get their insurance premium back from an outside insurance company for a cancelled cruise or other travel? Thank you!

Warning:

Do not buy insurance from Generali. I bought a policy from CSA and then CSA became Generali - Generali bought CSA.

CSA was a good insurance company. Generali is a terrible Italian company. Don't get fulled by good ratings because Generali inherited good ratings from CSA. There are a lot of 1-star ratings for Generali now.

5 hours ago, Sdancer said:

Was someone able to get their insurance premium back from an outside insurance company for a cancelled cruise or other travel? Thank you!

I have gotten a refund from Travelex when I was able to document to them that I had gotten a full refund from Crystal.  Part of it was FCC, but I had to show that I applied the FCC to a future cruise insured by Travelex and purchased additional insurance from them to cover it.  I did not have to show I had actually received the cash portion of the refund.  Crystal's Payment Confirmation showing that they owed it to me was enough.  They could not transfer my cancelled policy to another existing booking, only to a new booking, so my willingness to purchase new insurance for the existing booking at the same time that I asked for a refund may have been a factor.

For another cancellation on a different cruise line, I took FCC instead of a cash refund, and Travelex would not issue a refund for the insurance.   They gave me a credit to apply the cost of the policy to insurance on a new booking when I use the FCC.  I could not apply the cost of the policy to my existing Crystal booking -- it has to go on a new booking.  The other line has not published its schedule for 2022 yet, so I am waiting for that to make a new booking.

Bottom line, some insurance companies will issue refunds under some circumstances, but maybe not under different circumstances.  It varies.

Edited by SusieQft
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 6:20 PM, almostretired said:

Or does anyone have the refund policy for canceling cruises in 2020 before Crystal did?  Thanks.

NB. we are in the U.K.  

Hi, we were quoted this following information in paperwork dated October, 2019.

This related to a cruise departing 22nd. May, 2020. Subsequently cancelled by Crystal on 2nd. April, 2020. We are still waiting a full refund. 

52D3FAC9-09E7-4B25-AAF9-8501D6021089.thumb.jpeg.6495a2cce7f7c4a0eefa3360c1fa3b34.jpeg

Hopefully this may be of use to you. 

Just writing to let you know that my credit card company has confirmed that the chargeback for the balance of our September 2020 cruise has been applied. I spoke to the credit card company that I paid the deposit with who confirmed that there has been no refund issued for the portion. The credit card company (VISA) had previously stated that the deposit charge was to old but after some discussion they agreed to lodge a dispute even though the payment was made in September 2018 as I argued that there was always the intention to go ahead with the trip and that the time should start from the sailing date which they agreed to. It would appear that the only way that you can be confident of getting a refund from Crystal is by way of chargeback.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, comas said:

NB. we are in the U.K.  

Hi, we were quoted this following information in paperwork dated October, 2019.

This related to a cruise departing 22nd. May, 2020. Subsequently cancelled by Crystal on 2nd. April, 2020. We are still waiting a full refund. 

52D3FAC9-09E7-4B25-AAF9-8501D6021089.thumb.jpeg.6495a2cce7f7c4a0eefa3360c1fa3b34.jpeg

Hopefully this may be of use to you. 

You should have had your refund by now , I got a refund after 100 days for a cruise cancelled in April for this November . You need to make a dispute with your credit card company . if you paid by debit card write to me on shoeuk at hotmail.com

• Like 1

7 hours ago, roger b said:

You should have had your refund by now , I got a refund after 100 days for a cruise cancelled in April for this November . You need to make a dispute with your credit card company . if you paid by debit card write to me on shoeuk at hotmail.com

Hello roger b,

yes we agree that we should have had a refund by now!

The difficulty with disputing this is that we booked through a TA and the money was paid to them, not directly to Crystal.  We hoped we had all areas covered by booking a package (ATOL protection), adequate travel insurance and by using a Credit card for the deposit, followed by using a Debit card for the final balance. 
We do feel aggrieved and that we are backed into a corner.  
It’s nearly 200 days since cancellation and looking at SusieQ’s amazing spreadsheet, no one is getting refunds without going through their card company! 
The lack of regular communication from Crystal is galling as is the fact that we seem to have made a rather large loan.

Ann & Paul. 

On 10/12/2020 at 12:50 PM, mrlevin said:

Crystal Mahler 24 April 2021

We cancelled on 12 October 2020

Susie, our booking was paid in full; we took advantage of discount for early payment.  Also, the cruise date is 2021 vice 2020 in your spreadsheet.

thanks,

Marc

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, comas said:

no one is getting refunds without going through their card company! 
The lack of regular communication from Crystal is galling as is the fact that we seem to have made a rather large loan

I think you are correct 

I haven’t seen any sign of refunds occurring outside of credit card disputes for sometime now 

Tough on those who cancelled over 7 months ago now 

The lack of communication is very disappointing  

One thing is for certain - I’m certainly not making any deposit payments until I receive my outstanding deposit refund back 

Edited by Stickman1990
  • Like 2

On 10/12/2020 at 8:57 PM, Sdancer said:

I canceled my 2020 ocean cruise well before Crystal cancelled. It was before a final payment and Crystal had my deposit only.

I received my deposit back minus $100 admin fee (solo cruiser) via charge back.

I called Crystal and got $100 admin fee added as a credit to my future cruise in 2022 which was booked before the pandemic.

I did not have insurance for that 2020 cruise. 

I had a booking on another cruise line where I purchased only a medical evacuation insurance from an outside insurance company. I got my insurance premium refund in full (via a charge back) since this cruise was canceled.

A question:

I have a booking for March next year and I purchased a standard insurance policy from a major insurance company in February 2020. I anticipate that we would not be able to fly to UK next March.

Now insurance companies claim that they do not cover pandemic cancellations for policies purchased after January 29 (I believe).

Warning:

Do not buy insurance from Generali. I bought a policy from CSA and then CSA became Generali - Generali bought CSA.

CSA was a good insurance company. Generali is a terrible Italian company. Don't get fulled by good ratings because Generali inherited good ratings from CSA. There are a lot of 1-star ratings for Generali now.

You might want to address this to the Insurance section of Cruise Critic. 

Did you buy your insurance through an agent Tripinsurancestore.com or insuremytrip.com.  The agent may/can help getting your refund.   Especially now with the rules changing and new policies with COVID exclusions.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 1:02 PM, TER777 said:

A friend asked me to report:

Crystal Symphony August 19, 2020 sailing.

He cancelled April 22, 2020.

Deposit refund received October 8, 2020, 169 days.

~$100 FCC for the admin fee.

Stickman1990 and comas,

Just last week I reported - see above - that a friend had received a refund last week without having to file a credit card dispute. So yes, refunds, however slowly, are being made.

Edited by TER777
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I think you are correct 

I haven’t seen any sign of refunds occurring outside of credit card disputes for sometime now 

Tough on those who cancelled over 7 months ago now 

The lack of communication is very disappointing  

One thing is for certain - I’m certainly not making any deposit payments until I receive my outstanding deposit refund back 

For the record, there are a few refunds being received without use of the credit card dispute process.

I am aware of these

Yours, Stickman

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2750766-crystal-refund-roll-call/?do=findCmment&comment=60216618

nfcu rec'd Aug 4

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2750766-crystal-refund-roll-call/?do=findComment&comment=60243631

TheKingD rec'd Sep 13

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2750766-crystal-refund-roll-call/?do=findComment&comment=60359918

ltuckchapman rec'd Sep 25.  Sorry I cannot link his post - he mentioned the name of his TA and the agency and his post was deleted.

Ter777 friend  rec'd Oct 8

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2750766-crystal-refund-roll-call/?do=findComment&comment=60439005

From the Crystal Society Facebook page, these people have received refunds without using the credit card dispute process:  (I've replaced names with an alias, for privacy reasons)

Facebook 1    06-Aug
Facebook 2    06-Aug
Facebook 3    06-Aug
Facebook 4    09-Aug
Facebook 5    15-Aug
Facebook 6    20-Aug
Facebook 7    07-Oct

Edited by crickette
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, crickette said:

For the record, there are a few refunds being received without use of the credit card dispute process.

I am aware of these

Yours, Stickman

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2750766-crystal-refund-roll-call/?do=findCmment&comment=60216618

nfcu rec'd Aug 4

My point is about refunds without the intervention of the credit card companies 

For the example you’ve quoted for me, August was a longtime ago - and for my refund that was following a credit card dispute 

I standby what I said that there’s very little evidence of anyone getting a refund in the last month or so without raising a credit card dispute. I didn’t question that those who are able to raise a credit card dispute will receive their refunds 

Am I annoyed about the outstanding refund I have which remain outstanding after 211 days? I sure am! 

1 hour ago, TER777 said:

Stickman1990 and comas,

Just last week I reported - see above - that a friend had received a refund last week without having to file a credit card dispute. So yes, refunds, however slowly, are being made.

They are very “slow” indeed - that might just take the 2020 award for understatement! 

The order they are processing refunds is very unclear - it’s certainly not in anything resembling date lodged order 

2 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

You might want to address this to the Insurance section of Cruise Critic. 

Did you buy your insurance through an agent Tripinsurancestore.com or insuremytrip.com.  The agent may/can help getting your refund.   Especially now with the rules changing and new policies with COVID exclusions.

Unfortunately, we bought it directly that time :(. Thank you for this information - we will never buy directly again. 

Before that we were buying through insuremytrip.com.

I received a  refund  today  to my Amex  card  without  filing a  credit card dispute for  a  cancelled cruise I  initiated May 5 for  a  Nov 2020  cruise . Insurance  and  administration fees still kept .with  Crystal  
Stickman 1990 Etc   There  is  Hope ......  

Barbara 

ps : I  did  not  fill out any  spread sheets 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1