Crystal Refund Roll Call

SusieQft

2 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Six months today since I cancelled the cruise, 21st August for the card dispute, and now my TA is disputing the claim with my bank!

I despair.

What did your TA say when you asked why they are disputing it?  Is it your TA’s agency name that appears on the credit card charge?  In the UK the cruiseline does not process the charge, the TA does?

2 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Six months today since I cancelled the cruise, 21st August for the card dispute, and now my TA is disputing the claim with my bank!

I despair.

Given the size of the chargeback, what did you expect? Your TA is an innocent third party in this whole thing, I would have been surprised if they had simply "rolled over" without fighting back.

The bank stated quite categorically that I would be credited with the payment before November, unless the vendor disputed the claim. Now, a week into November the bank have told me that they are still ‘in discussions’ with the vendors bank.

So who knows?

I have emails that state the cancellation is accepted and I can have all the monies back less an admin charge. 
The only thing I can think of is that the TA is saying it’s not their fault as Crystal haven’t paid them? But my bank are saying the TA took my money so they should pay it back. 
The TA is stunning with their silence and the only time they have contacted me since I started the charge back was to ask me to reconsider as it was them that would have to pay the money?

UK law is different so technically and legally the TA is the debtor, and not an innocent third party .... 

Edited by MBP&O2/O
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MBP&O2/O said:

The bank stated quite categorically that I would be credited with the payment before November, unless the vendor disputed the claim. Now, a week into November the bank have told me that they are still ‘in discussions’ with the vendors bank.

So who knows?

I have emails that state the cancellation is accepted and I can have all the monies back less an admin charge. 
The only thing I can think of is that the TA is saying it’s not their fault as Crystal haven’t paid them? But my bank are saying the TA took my money so they should pay it back. 
The TA is stunning with their silence and the only time they have contacted me since I started the charge back was to ask me to reconsider as it was them that would have to pay the money?

UK law is different so technically and legally the TA is the debtor, and not an innocent third party .... 

In the context of Canadian banking rules, and that is what this, a banking dispute, (and seeing our laws are for the most part based on your laws from way back when, I suspect this explanation would hold true),  your TA is "an innocent holder in due course of the transaction", in other words, an innocent third party. They facilitated the transaction but have no stake in the transaction (excluding the commission). They actually have recourse rights against both you and Crystal to recover their position, and I suspect that is what they are doing by disputing the transaction with your bank, while also, I would think, going after Crystal for the refund. 

15 hours ago, Roland4 said:

There have been reported instances of commission recalls as a result of credit card chargebacks, mostly from smaller suppliers. I have not heard of any recalls from the cruise lines as yet.

18 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Nancy, if the cruise has been cancelled it makes no difference whether you file a dispute or if you receive a refund without filing a dispute.  

Keith

Thank you Keith1010 and Roland4 for the information.  Good to know that the TAs that have already done much of the work will still get compensated.  Like all of us, I am anxiously awaiting the day when Crystal is caught up on refunds and sailing again!  

~Nancy

• Like 1

We have had 9 cruises across various cruise lines cancelled this year.  The first cruises cancelled were on Princess but, even then, it only took 76 days to get future cruise credits.  

We only had a small deposit  - $100pp - on a cancelled December Crystal cruise.  After waiting 60 days from date of refund request (7/31), we disputed the charge thru our credit card company on September 26.  Yesterday - November 9 - a permanent credit was applied. 

We don't believe that we would have gotten our refund so quickly (ha-ha) if we hadn't filed a CC dispute.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are currently more than 200 days since we were first told 90 day refund.  I check in with my Crystal Rep. periodically with never any useful information received.  In my last call, the Rep suggested it may likely be early 2021 before I receive a refund.  After hearing this, I submitted a dispute with my credit card.  Due to the amount of time since I paid for the cruise, my bank had me submit in writing.  I sent this in last week by mail and am awaiting their response.  From what I understand from my bank, I will likely receive a temporary credit while it remains in dispute with Crystal.

• Like 1

Update on refund issue. After filing credit card dispute, the conditional credit that was given by Citi MC on 8-18-20(2 days after filing dispute) became permanent on 11-12-20. Never heard anything from Crystal since my requested refund on 6-18-20.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just received a check for the amount of my conditional credit at Capital1 for my June back-to-back on Symphony.  I originally disputed 2 charges in August 2020 (down payment and final payment).  Capital1 denied the down payment amount due to length of time since the charge was placed (November 2018).  I have appealed this decision and am awaiting Capital1's response.  What I have received is the larger of the 2 amounts (the final payment), which was originally charged on my card in August 2019.  No sign that Crystal has refunded the money to my CC account.  This transaction appears to be just between Capital1 and me.

Phyllis

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, santos949 said:

I canceled our Endeavor cruise on October 1 and I received my refund (less $1000) on November 15.

As soon as the cruise industry is a "go" again and Crystal looks like it is on firm footing, I plan to re-book this cruise.

Didn't Crystal Confidence 2.0 come out prior to 1 October?  Weren't you supposed to get all of your money (including the $1000 admin fee) back?  My Crystal Mahler booking was cancelled 12 October so I hope I am eleven days behind you in receiving my refund.

• Thanks 1

Cruise date 8/30/20 cancelled by Crystal on 5/14/20 asked for refund 5/16/20 .Filed credit card dispute on 8/14/20 and received temporary credit for full amount from AX on 8/21/20.Amount became permanent on 11/8/20.    

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, umgrad99 said:

From talking with Chase it seems like standard time between temporary credit and permanent credit is about 2 payment cycles once you send over all your supporting documents, etc.

Visa gives merchants 60 days to reply; 60 days = 2 payment cycles.

23 hours ago, Love.II.Cruise said:

Finally had our credit card settle with Crystal on 11/18.  Please update the excel sheet.  Best of luck for the rest of you!  Have a happy, safe and socially distant Thanksgiving.  

Having this been such a frustrating period, we also want to add to our post.  What Crystal has done has given us NO faith in booking another cruise (on any line) until COVID is under control World Wide.

We had also booked airfare home for our cruise through justly.com via Tap Portugal.  When we went through the cancellation process, they said they couldn't do it without a $70 processing fee.  Well guess what?  After going through our Credit Card dispute for a refund, we were denied TWICE.  It's over.  We won't get our $1000 back or our $70.  Our insurance company, Aon Affinity - completely worthless!  They can go bankrupt for all we care.  We will never use either one again and we will be looking for similar stories like ours and not use those companies in the future.  

Friday, March 13th was the last time we went out to dinner.  It's been 8 months.  Fortunately, we can both work from home.  I feel sorry for those that get sick and think this is a hoax.  If it was a hoax, wouldn't the cruise lines around the world ALL be sailing?  Would the airlines (and trains/busses) be hurting this badly?  And what about the hotels?  Our favorite restaurant in Barcelona, Spain closed.  😞  We hope one day it opens back up and we an go again.  

We have underlying health conditions and are doing everything we can to stay safe and healthy.  Looking forward to vaccine next year.  How long the vaccine will last will be tested.  If we need to take it again, we will!   

• Like 1

We had two cruises booked on the Crystal Endeavor, Crystal cancelled the first one (Bali to Cairns) we requested a refund and was told 60-90 days, After 90 days, we filed our cc dispute and received a full refund from AMEX. We then cancelled our Endinburgh to Svalbard trip and requested a full refund, crystal said >90 days, a dispute was filed with AMEX and within a couple of weeks a partial refund was given (Crystal held back 500/p as a future cruise credit) we disputed that as crystal had published that they were waving the admin fees but got nowhere. My TA rebooked the trip with the provision that we would not be paying any more on it (other than the FCC) until they are sailing again and the Endeavor was launched.  My TA was upset with Crystal as she is owed a great deal of money for cruise she booked for her clients for more than 90 days. She is doubtful they will survive this cash flow problem.

On 11/19/2020 at 6:14 AM, Sdancer said:

Visa gives merchants 60 days to reply; 60 days = 2 payment cycles.

Serious question: Where can I see the Visa rules that gives this information?

My chargeback is now on 90 days and I intend to make a formal complaint against the bank so this would be a priceless piece of information.

1 hour ago, MBP&O2/O said:

My chargeback is now on 90 days and I intend to make a formal complaint against the bank so this would be a priceless piece of information.

You're in the UK, the person who posted that is in the US. I would imagine that the rules vary by country.

Patty

3 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

And I also suspect the fact your TA (understandably) is fighting the chargeback is playing into the timing of your refund as well.