Crystal Refund Roll Call

Here’s the post Crystal have made today - make of it what you will...

For me I’m not giving them one more cent until we receive our refund - which was requested back in early March 2020 - so now 9 months wait

Given it’s for a cruise originating in the US maybe I only have to wait another 6 weeks (coincidentally that will take me to around the date the cancelled cruise was due to sail) 

I’ll believe that timeframe only when the money is back in my bank account 

I think Crystal have handled this so badly and wonder why they have not communicated directly to those impacted rather than these belated generic and very vague posts on their website. That’s not a luxury experience

ISSUANCE OF CRUISE REFUNDS

Processing & Issuance of Cruise Refunds

UPDATED Wednesday, December 9, 2020

To date, we have refunded more than $140 million since our voluntary fleetwide cancellations began. This represents nearly 63 percent of refunds due for all cancelled voyages. While we have made significant progress over the past few months in processing refunds, we know that quite a few guests have not received their refund by our original good faith estimate in March of up to 90 days. 

Furthermore, it was our intention to process refunds by the date of cancellation, however, in two instances certain refunds have been advanced. We were able to reach an administrative agreement on procedures with one credit card company to process its refunds and we continue discussions on similar administrative solutions for the other outstanding credit card refunds. In addition, we are now able to process some refunds for planned voyages and published segments that were set to depart from U.S. ports utilizing funds held in trust specifically for U.S. departures. We expect to process these refunds within the next six weeks.

At this time, the company cannot give a specific date when some refunds will be issued but please be assured that Crystal remains committed to honoring our contractual obligations with our guests, including the processing of refunds.

We know that the refund process is causing frustration and angst with those affected and we recognize and apologize that we have fallen short of our service standard. We will update our guests and travel partners as soon as additional information becomes available.

Since July, Crystal has implemented a no-money down deposit window as well as relaxed final payment policies due to the uncertainty around when and where cruising will resume. As we work toward a resumption of service in 2021, guests can expect further programs providing flexibility and peace of mind policies. 

If a guest booked with a professional travel advisor, please be assured that the travel advisor is closely monitoring the status of the booking and the refund. We want to thank our travel partners for their support as they are champions for both our guests and Crystal.

Edited by Stickman1990

Hello SusieQft. I give up. I wanted to be patient and let Crystal have an opportunity to get their system in order but I'm done waiting. My Symphony Cruise was scheduled to depart June 7, 2020 from Lisbon to Copenhagen and was cancelled by Crystal on April 28, 2020. I requested a refund on April 29, 2020.

I filed a credit card dispute with Citibank Mastercard last week on 12/09/20 and had a conditional credit on my card in 24 hours. Even though the charges were made in June-August 2019 Citibank allowed the dispute. Initially online it said the charges were too old, but I just asked for a customer service rep on the Chat function and they processed it immediately.  It was all done online in a few minutes.  I'll follow up here when the credit goes from "Conditional" to final.

Thank you SusieQft for managing the spreadsheet and to all the others who have shared their stories.  Good luck to you all and I really hope Crystal can get through this intact.

~Nancy

On 11/29/2020 at 6:58 PM, SusieQft said:

Marc, that is great.  So Visa was not terribly much later than Amex, and neither with a dispute?  You got your refunds in record time, especially compared with many who are still waiting from earlier cancellations.

I wonder if they are trying to stay caught up on recent cancellations while still neglecting the backlog.  😕

Susie, it was actually a dispute with Visa on 27 November; by 5 December dispute was finalized and a wire transfer has since been received.

1 minute ago, John Cruise said:

Wow, received my refund today after 9 months.

JC - did you have to raise a dispute with tour credit card company to get this? If not what voyage did this relate to? - I’m just wondering if this ties in with their recent comment about refunding US based port departures (I live in hope!)

We booked a cruise for 1 April 2021 on Crystal's Esprit and have been told that we can't use our FCC on this trip because it is too cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Now we can't even use the FCC.  Anyone else been told this by Crystal?  

6 hours ago, joepeggy said:

We booked a cruise for 1 April 2021 on Crystal's Esprit and have been told that we can't use our FCC on this trip because it is too cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Now we can't even use the FCC.  Anyone else been told this by Crystal?  

This is beyond low for Crystal! Such greed!!!

Crystal should be thrilled that anyone wants to book with them after all the lying about the refunds.

I would cancel this booking or, better yet, not to book with Crystal unless you have FCC and FCC deadline is approaching.

I got my refund in a week after starting my dispute with visa, right after the promised 90-day deadline was not met by Crystal.

I did not get my admin fee back but it was worth it.

One more thing to consider: cruising might not restart in April 2021.

Edited by Sdancer
41 minutes ago, Merry Twinkletoes said:

The Best Available 2021 Fare for the May 24 and May 30 Serenity Dover round-trip cruises states:

— Future Cruise Payment (FCP) may be used.

— Future Cruise Credit (FCC) cannot be used.

Is it possible this guidance applies to the April 1, 2021 Yacht sailing?

" Future Cruise Payment (FCP) may be used.". What is FCP?

Not allowing to use  FCC is not "guidance" - it is a restriction which was not mentioned by Crystal when they lobbied for people to get FCC rather than refunds.

Edited by Sdancer
6 minutes ago, Sdancer said:

What is FCP?

FCP = future cruise credit for 100% of the money you paid for a cruise that Crystal cancelled.  (Future Cruise Payment)

FCC = 25% bonus future cruise credit offered by Crystal as a goodwill gesture when Crystal cancels a cruise and you agree to take the FCP instead of a cash refund.  Also, FCC = future cruise credit for 100% of the money you paid for a cruise that YOU cancelled after the final payment date under Crystal Confidence.

Edited by SusieQft
49 minutes ago, Merry Twinkletoes said:

The Best Available 2021 Fare for the May 24 and May 30 Serenity Dover round-trip cruises states:

— Future Cruise Payment (FCP) may be used.

— Future Cruise Credit (FCC) cannot be used.

Is it possible this guidance applies to the April 1, 2021 Yacht sailing?

Yes as the April 1, 2021 is also a Best Available 2021 fare promo.

Nancy

After waiting for a refund on a Crystal cancelled river cruise since August 1, I filed a chargeback with my credit card on December 4 and received refund today.  Unfirtunately, i had to file against my TA but they understood. Crystal have been so dishonest over refunds, I will never Cruise with them again.

10 hours ago, Sdancer said:

" Future Cruise Payment (FCP) may be used.". What is FCP?

Not allowing to use  FCC is not "guidance" - it is a restriction which was not mentioned by Crystal when they lobbied for people to get FCC rather than refunds.

When a cruise line offers you a travel credit, they are frequently only combinable with published fares and not special deep-discount promotions.  Crystal’s lowest promotional fares have always had extensive restrictions.  

That doesn’t mean you can’t use the credit, it just means you can’t book that promotional fare for that sailing and need to book a less restrictive discount.  That can sometimes work in your favor — sometimes the other restrictions on a limited promo make them less of a deal than the bottom line number looks (like a higher single supplement for example).

Vince

Partial success.

My bank have reimbursed me part of the monies paid.

They refuse to look at the initial deposit claiming it is outside of the Visa time limit guidelines, so they have refunded me the ‘balance payment’.

It only took them 112 days to sort !

Needless to say nothing has been heard from Crystal on day 224! Come to think of it nothing has been heard from Crystal - Full Stop !

We received permanent credit on Citibank Mastercard on 12/17/2020. It was for the entire amount paid in two installments back in Summer, 2019. Crystal Cruises cancelled in March and we had requested a refund the same day.  The cruise was to take place 5/3-5/10/2020. Many thanks to SusieQft and the participants who posted for their guidance and support during this long process. 

1 hour ago, kitty9 said:

My TA, a high volume Crystal agent, just emailed me to start a credit card dispute for our Crystal refunds. I hope it isn’t too late to dispute the charges.  

Was this a recent cancellation?    

Hello, 9 days ago I received a phone call from Crystal stating that they will be refunding my money within 10 days.  The have also emailed NSW Fair Trading (here in Australia) stating the same as I had originally complained to them about Crystal.  I emailed Crystal today asking them if I will still receiving my refund within the 10 days as they promised and here is a copy of their reply. 

Good Day Mr. Henderson,

We have checked your reservation status. Regrettably, there is no change at this time on your pending refund. Our team is aware of these and should I hear an update, I will advise you.  For the moment, we are not able to provide a definitive date for the amount to process; however, you are in the queue for the refund.

We sincerely apologize and know this is not the answer you had wanted.  However, we remain focused on providing all our guests their pending refunds in due time.

Best Regards,

Oscar Vicente

Special Assistant to the Office of the President

1501 Biscayne Boulevard | Suite 501 | Miami, FL 33132

5 hours ago, kitty9 said:

My TA, a high volume Crystal agent, just emailed me to start a credit card dispute for our Crystal refunds. I hope it isn’t too late to dispute the charges.  

The time frame depends on which card you used. Chase cards will process a refund within 536 days of your Crystal charge.