Crystal Refund Roll Call

SusieQft

I have been following this thread for months, as i wait for my refund for a cruise cancelled April 13... it is over 9 months of waiting.  Any time I inquire, the answer given is that 'it is still pending".  I guess I should be happy that they acknowledge that it is still visible, and possible.  I have dealt with 2 other cruise lines during this year, and this is the only company that hasn't kept their promised timelines. There seems to be no system or chronological order.  I'm getting very frustrated.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MBP&O2/O said:

As I understand it, Crystal have ‘suspended’ any refunds whilst a ‘restructuring’ goes ahead at Genting. Forgive me for being cynical but I do not trust them.

source?  

Friends have gotten refund for Crystal River cruise to Amex in last few days.

14 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

source?  

Friends have gotten refund for Crystal River cruise to Amex in last few days.

Amex disputes are the exception - Crystal appear to find the money when an Amex dispute is raised. There’s been all sorts of theories communicated which revolve around AMEX threatening to cut Crystal off as a merchant, who knows whether they’re true or not but the dispute certainly seems to work 

Visa/MasterCard disputes also appear to work but only if filed within certain deadlines - older charges can’t be disputed in many cases 

The last category I’m aware of is the recently advised - Cruises from US ports - but that’s yet to actually result in a refund - just the promise of one within the next 30 days  

2 hours ago, bigjer said:

I doubt that very few of us will ever see a refund from Crystal. They can apparently refuse refunds with impunity, even as they continue to accept new bookings. 

New bookings, yes, but not payments. Crystal hasn’t accepted any payments for several months now. The earliest one can pay now is February 22. 

• Like 1

Source? I believe I read it in a trade journal but I can’t be too sure.

On the other hand 😊😊😊😊😊

On my UK based refund claim, I made a veiled threat to sue the TA in the small claims court. To avoid that they have refunded my claim in full and also the £300 admin fee ... as no admin had occurred.

I have now been refunded all my money ... 70% via a debit card dispute and 30% via my own hard work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With my refund, I had paid the cruise in full using a VISA card.  I couldn't put in a complaint to VISA due to time limitations so I complained to our Department of Fair Trading here in Australia.  They made contact with Crystal in Miami and 3 months later I received my refund.  The money wasn't credited back to my VISA card, it was actual 'wired' direct to my bank account.  They told me the reason for that was that because my complaint had gone through Crystal's legal team, they pay out money in a different way.  Don't ask me why as I have no idea, but it seems to me that there's another account that has a pot of gold in it somewhere.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, DeanHenderson said:

With my refund, I had paid the cruise in full using a VISA card.  I couldn't put in a complaint to VISA due to time limitations so I complained to our Department of Fair Trading here in Australia.  

Who did you book the cruise with? - was it with Crystals Australian office or direct with the US office? 

I can only assume NSW Fair Trading dealt with it because you transacted with a NSW business? If that’s the case it limits the use of that channel to put pressure on Crystal 

I booked though the Australian office and Fair Trading dealt with both offices, here and in Miami.  Miami sent a 2 page letter of reply to Fair Trading in September.  Then the notice that they were going to pay went from Miami to Fair Trading direct as well.  This is it below.  The Australian office mainly sorted out the bank details etc for the refund.  

In furtherance of the above reference and attached Crystal Cruises, LLC response dated 21 September 2020.

Crystal Cruises, LLC is processing same to be paid in the next ten (10) days reflecting completion of the Refund.

Kind regards,

Leyaní Román

Paralegal / Assistant to Jessica Hoppe

Legal  Department |  T: 786/971-1171

1501 Biscayne Boulevard, Suite 500  |  Miami, FL  33132 

13 minutes ago, DeanHenderson said:

I booked though the Australian office and Fair Trading dealt with both offices, here and in Miami. 

My point is that unless the transaction occurred in NSW they have no jurisdiction or in fact interest in pursuing the vendor 

The reason they and you had to deal with Miami is that while the Sydney office is a legal entity in NSW they back office functions are executed in the US

You (kind of) got lucky with where you booked 

On 1/27/2021 at 5:09 AM, voyageur said:

I have been following this thread for months, as i wait for my refund for a cruise cancelled April 13... it is over 9 months of waiting.  Any time I inquire, the answer given is that 'it is still pending".  I guess I should be happy that they acknowledge that it is still visible, and possible.  I have dealt with 2 other cruise lines during this year, and this is the only company that hasn't kept their promised timelines. There seems to be no system or chronological order.  I'm getting very frustrated.

I’m in the same boat, so to speak.  Refund requested on April 5.  I’m beyond the frustration point and just think we just have to wait and perhaps we’ll never see the refund. The last time I checked with my Crystal Cruise “consultant” in December I received a non-personal canned response that we’ve all seen, but then she did send me screen shots indicating the refund request is, at least, still “pending” after I followed up.  Now someone is going to ask me why I haven’t submitted a request through my credit card as if I hadn’t thought of that already.  Don’t give up hope but just know that it will probably be a long, long wait before you get your money back, if ever.  I’m sorry to hear your distress and so many others’.  I decided to focus more on other aspects of life, like staying healthy and getting vaccinated some day soon, hopefully.  Take care of yourself and know you’re not alone!

• Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 7:46 PM, SusieQft said:

It would be wonderful if you learn differently from Crystal, but I fear that none of this applies to the 2022 WC.  Maybe they will get there, but so far I think my initial optimism was unfounded.

Sadly, upon re-re-reading, the posting from Crystal Confidence 3.0, I do not think any of it applies to anything in 2022, at least with regard to existing bookings.  At first I thought the 60 days for final payment did apply, but now I see the glaring "2021" in the title and first phrase of this.  The "all" later in the sentence is probably modified by the "2021" stated earlier.

NEW! CRYSTAL CONFIDENCE 3.0 (2021)

Now extended through December 2021, Crystal Confidence 3.0 offers both relaxed cancellation terms and a final payment of 60 days prior to first day of service for all new and existing bookings. 

5 hours ago, rwadam said:

I’m in the same boat, so to speak.  Refund requested on April 5.  I’m beyond the frustration point and just think we just have to wait and perhaps we’ll never see the refund. The last time I checked with my Crystal Cruise “consultant” in December I received a non-personal canned response that we’ve all seen, but then she did send me screen shots indicating the refund request is, at least, still “pending” after I followed up.  Now someone is going to ask me why I haven’t submitted a request through my credit card as if I hadn’t thought of that already.  Don’t give up hope but just know that it will probably be a long, long wait before you get your money back, if ever.  I’m sorry to hear your distress and so many others’.  I decided to focus more on other aspects of life, like staying healthy and getting vaccinated some day soon, hopefully.  Take care of yourself and know you’re not alone!

You are correct, I was wondering why after 90 days passed (a time-frame given by Crystal) but a promised refund was not processed, a dispute transaction with a credit card was not initiated by many? Thank you in advance for your reply.

Edited by Sdancer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sdancer said:

You are correct, I was wondering why after 90 days passed (a time-frame given by Crystal) but a promised refund was not processed, a dispute transaction with a credit card was not initiated by many? Thank you in advance for your reply.

Different countries have different rules, different credit cards have different benefits and restrictions, and not everyone uses credit cards, believe it or not.

1 hour ago, rwadam said:

Different countries have different rules, different credit cards have different benefits and restrictions, and not everyone uses credit cards, believe it or not.

Thanks. What about bookings made with credit cards in US?

Many posts were about missing a deadline to dispute with VISA.

Edited by Sdancer

36 minutes ago, Sdancer said:

Thanks. What about bookings made with credit cards in US?

Many posts were about missing a deadline to dispute with VISA.

It is not simply the 90 days.  Credit cards look at the date payment was made.  You can easily be outside their window, if you made deposit or final payment a year or two or more ago.

• Like 2

My friends have been waiting for a refund (over $20k) for a September 2020 cruise since April. They tried the credit card dispute route but MC asked for a letter from Crystal that Crystal has refused to provide (apparently the Crystal confirmation of refund pending is not enough for MC). They continue to get the same line from Crystal about it being "in progress" every time they call. Otherwise they've pretty much abandoned the dispute process.

Jun 19, 2020 — Yes. The issuer can pursue a dispute as the original services were not rendered using Dispute Condition 13.1— Merchandise/Services Not Received. The time frame would be 120 days from the expected services (not to exceed 540 days from the transaction processing date).

Full pdf document:

29 minutes ago, claudiaYVR said:

My friends have been waiting for a refund (over $20k) for a September 2020 cruise since April. They tried the credit card dispute route but MC asked for a letter from Crystal that Crystal has refused to provide (apparently the Crystal confirmation of refund pending is not enough for MC). They continue to get the same line from Crystal about it being "in progress" every time they call. Otherwise they've pretty much abandoned the dispute process.

30 minutes ago, claudiaYVR said:

Jun 19, 2020 — The issuer can pursue a dispute as the original services were not rendered using Dispute Condition 13.1— Merchandise/Services Not Received. The time frame would be 120 days from the expected services (not to exceed 540 days from the transaction processing date).

Full pdf document:

Chase Visa told me 60 days window from the expected services not delivered by a merchant
and 540 days from the transaction time.

On the refund subject from Oceania:

I had a booking for Sept. 2021.

In case there still would be masks required on a ship along with tours purchases from Oceania to be able to explore ports on my own in September,

I canceled this booking on January 19, 2021 and already received VISA refund on Feb. 2, 2021 - two weeks later.

I don't UNDERSTAND the shipping trade publication referred earlier that quotes Genting financial problems due to Covid AND the dates quoted are from last summer, six months before Covid????