Jump to content

Crystal Refund Roll Call


Recommended Posts

For comparison purposes.  I had deposits on 2 bookings on Seabourn which I cancelled on Wednesday 2/3 and it hit my account as a refund yesterday 2/5. I was planning on 30 days so was pleasantly surprised.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Crystal is doing itself no favors with the way they have failed to handle refunds.  The Points Guy has expanded its reach of readers since taken over by Bankrate so I am sure that potential Crystal cruise passengers will read this and think twice. Sad.

Edited by cruisr
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, cruisr said:

Crystal is doing itself no favors with the way they have failed to handle refunds.  The Points Guy has expanded its reach of readers since taken over by Bankrate so I am sure that potential Crystal cruise passengers will read this and think twice. Sad.

I just read that article and think it is great when the truth comes out. Glad the lady received her refund. We have been fortunate to be refunded promptly from all our cruises. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We just got a $9K+ credit on our Costco Visa for the Crystal November 2020 Caribbean cruise that was cancelled. A check would have been better, but we are happy that it seems to be resolved. Good luck to everyone else.

 

 

 

image000000.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

One friend reports having received a refund for the deposit on the first leg (only) of the WC this week and another friend reports having not yet received a refund of the deposit of the Christmas cruise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good News!!! Our friends got their deposit back today. 8 months after it was cancelled. We got ours back a couple of months ago. Mine only took 6 months. It was crazy how they did it. We booked and cancelled at the exact same time. She had to get their credit card company involved and low and behold the credit was there 2 weeks later. So there is hope but certainly has left a very bad taste in our mouths for sailing in the future with this line. What a mess!! Good luck to those of you still waiting. Get your credit card company involved if you haven’t already. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2020 at 11:08 AM, Stem to Stern said:

Scheduled sail date 10/29/2020

Crystal cancelled on 7/30/2020 prior to final payment

Refund requested 8/3/2020

No refund as of 10/9/2020

Crystal supposedly won't deduct admin fees from original $400 deposit (special $100 deposit per person per segment.)

I am not waiting on a huge refund, but I feel entitled to it just the same.

TA noted refund takes up to 90 days and notify her if not received by then.

1/29/2021 Update:  I am pleased to report that my $400.00 deposit was fully refunded back to my credit card.

I never pursued the idea of getting involved in a dispute through my cc.

Travel agent advised against the idea thinking it would muck things up worse.

BTW I did not see my details on the OP's spreadsheet.

Edited by Stem to Stern
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

BTW I did not see my details on the OP's spreadsheet.

They were there, in the second tab because you were waiting for a refund of the deposit only.  Thank you for the update.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

They were there, in the second tab because you were waiting for a refund of the deposit only.  Thank you for the update.

Oh gee thanks for helping to lead the blind.  LOL!!  I am happy to see some people are getting their refunds finally.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

Refund requested 8/3/2020

Stem to Stern - I am delighted to hear you received your refund.  Truly.

 

What disturbs me is that I am confident that there are others who requested refunds before you, who have yet to receive their refunds.  Yet Crystal clearly stated refunds would be processed in order of date requested.  

 

May I ask if your credit card was Amex?  Crystal did say they had an arrangement with Amex that would expedite those refunds.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, crickette said:

Stem to Stern - I am delighted to hear you received your refund.  Truly.

 

What disturbs me is that I am confident that there are others who requested refunds before you, who have yet to receive their refunds.  Yet Crystal clearly stated refunds would be processed in order of date requested.  

 

May I ask if your credit card was Amex?  Crystal did say they had an arrangement with Amex that would expedite those refunds.

 

 

Also, the refund was a $400 deposit. Many who filed much longer ago than Stem to Stern are owed $10,000 or $20,000 or even more. I guess they found the $400 in the couch cushions! 😜😏🤩

 

Patty

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

 

Also, the refund was a $400 deposit. Many who filed much longer ago than Stem to Stern are owed $10,000 or $20,000 or even more. I guess they found the $400 in the couch cushions! 😜😏🤩

 

Patty

I am owed around $17,000 , around $6000 of it from cancelled cruise (by Crystal) in  late MAY 2020   , rest of it is from cancelled cruise in November 2020.  These sums  are  AFTER receiving " dispute credit" (Chase visa), recovering some, but rest not recovered, "too far back". 

Very "disappointed and concerned" 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, crickette said:

Stem to Stern - I am delighted to hear you received your refund.  Truly.

 

What disturbs me is that I am confident that there are others who requested refunds before you, who have yet to receive their refunds.  Yet Crystal clearly stated refunds would be processed in order of date requested.  

 

May I ask if your credit card was Amex?  Crystal did say they had an arrangement with Amex that would expedite those refunds.

 

Thanks crickette.  I was shocked to learn that the refund finally came through after nearly six months since my request.  From the looks of the spreadsheet many people are still waiting, but many refunds were received in far shorter time than myself.  This was on a Discover card.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am very late to this party, but would like to add our info to the spreadsheet.

Sail date: May 1, 2021

We cancelled May 8, 2020 and requested a refund of our partial payment.

Our decision to cancel ( at that time ) did not involve Covid fear in 2021. We had an important family event that was scheduled for the first week in May 2021, so we chose to cancel on the cruise. Well, now both the family event and the cruise have been officially cancelled and like so many others....we await our refund. 

We did not contact our cc regarding a chargeback. By the time I realized that Crystal was SO delayed in refunding, I figured the chargeback window had closed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, clear sailing said:

We did not contact our cc regarding a chargeback. By the time I realized that Crystal was SO delayed in refunding, I figured the chargeback window had closed.

You should probably still try the CC chargeback route. Even if they say no, you are no worse off than you are now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are still waiting for a refund of our initial deposit of $9,000. The cruise was cancelled by Crystal March 18, 2020 (for an October 2020 cruise). We had to file a CC dispute for the bulk of the cost of the cruise but are still waiting for a refund of the initial deposit. Unfortunately Capital One VISA viewed our initial deposit (made in 2018) was too old to dispute. Cannot believe it's been almost ONE YEAR since Crystal cancelled and still no refund.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Vegas Cruiser said:

We are still waiting for a refund of our initial deposit of $9,000. The cruise was cancelled by Crystal March 18, 2020 (for an October 2020 cruise). We had to file a CC dispute for the bulk of the cost of the cruise but are still waiting for a refund of the initial deposit. Unfortunately Capital One VISA viewed our initial deposit (made in 2018) was too old to dispute. Cannot believe it's been almost ONE YEAR since Crystal cancelled and still no refund.

 

We are in almost the same situation.  We received the bulk of our fully paid for cruise after CC dispute, but our deposit was also too old to dispute.  Crystal cancelled our June b2b the end of April, and we immediately applied for a refund.  Still have $5K owed by Crystal.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Crystal cancelled our Oct 2020 cruise because the construction of their new expedition class vessel was delayed due to the pandemic. (Obviously, not Crystal's fault. We wouldn't have been able to go due to travel restrictions, even if the ship had been ready). When they notified us of the cancellation in May, 2020 they promised a refund of our deposit (over $9000) within 90 days.  After waiting patiently for 5 months I was able to get $1000 back via AmEx but the remaining $8000+ was via Chase and they say it's been too long since the deposit was made to dispute it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2021 at 9:00 AM, Stickman1990 said:

I just got this email from Crystal - maybe there’s light at the end of my refund tunnel.....note that this cruise originated in the US and for some reason they’re being treated differently. Ironically it was due to sail this week! I’ll wait with baited breath but after over 9 months since I cancelled I’ll believe it when I actually see the money in my account

 

January 22, 2021

Dear Mr. xxxx,

We are pleased to inform you that we are now able to expedite some refunds for planned voyages and published segments that were set to depart from U.S. ports utilizing funds held in trust specifically for U.S. departures. As such, we will be processing your cruise refund within the next 30 days. Please note that these refunds, in this instance, will not follow the order of the date of cancellation.

We recognize and regret the delay in this process and thank you again for your patience. Please know that we, along with your shipboard Crystal Family, look forward to welcoming you back aboard in the near future.

Sincerely,

Crystal
Guest Services


Yahoo! I just got the refund I was expecting from Crystal back on my credit card. This is the one that relates to a cruise that was departing from a US port as per their email back in January. We cancelled this booking back in March 2020. So that’s all the refunds we were expecting paid out 🎉👍. I just wanted to give an update so those who received a similar email should check their credit cards for their refunds

 

Good to see Crystal honouring their commitment on this occasion 

Edited by Stickman1990
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:


Yahoo! I just got the refund I was expecting from Crystal back on my credit card. This is the one that relates to a cruise that was departing from a US port as per their email back in January. We cancelled this booking back in March 2020. So that’s all the refunds we were expecting paid out 🎉👍. I just wanted to give an update so those who received a similar email should check their credit cards for their refunds

 

Good to see Crystal honouring their commitment on this occasion 

That's great news! A long wait but you finally got your money back, I was starting to lose hope!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

That's great news! A long wait but you finally got your money back, I was starting to lose hope!


We certainly got “lucky” it was for an ex US port cruise 

 

I know there are many guests still waiting on refunds, for substantial amounts, unable to use the credit card dispute option  - my thoughts are with them and I can only hope for successful resolution sooner rather than later 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:


Yahoo! I just got the refund I was expecting from Crystal back on my credit card. This is the one that relates to a cruise that was departing from a US port as per their email back in January. We cancelled this booking back in March 2020. So that’s all the refunds we were expecting paid out 🎉👍. I just wanted to give an update so those who received a similar email should check their credit cards for their refunds

 

Good to see Crystal honouring their commitment on this occasion 

Google!  That's great news Terry and I am very happy for you.

 

Now I have to eat my words -  and apologize to Crystal.   In my post on page 59, #1469, I was cynical that Crystal's promise of 30 days meant anything.  To Crystal: I apologize.  You did what you said you would do, and I commend you.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder Crystal is processing refunds for US departing cruises more quickly because there is better consumer protection/higher risk of litigation, etc., compared to other cruises?

 

I’m still waiting for my deposit that I put down in 2019 for a Crystal-cancelled September 2020 cruise.  I managed to get the final payment (made in 2020) part refunded after going through credit card dispute process, but so far, no luck with the 2019 deposit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...