Crystal Refund Roll Call

We canceled our July 2022 cruise on 08/24/2020 and have not received any refund. At the 90 day mark I filed a claim with my credit card company and they said it was beyond the 60 days so they denied the claim.  😔

On 3/24/2021 at 8:19 AM, mrlevin said:

Rachel, I actually have you to credit with our getting refunded for the April cruise.  Your strong belief that the cruise would never sail led me to cancel late last year whilst still in the 540 day window to get our Chase Visa payment refunded (disputed with Chase and finalized refund within a week).  Hopefully refunds for you and the rest will be forthcoming soon.

I should have followed my own advice, but I was really wanting to do the trip.  Hoping to get money back soon, but if more than 90 days after the promised refund, George is filing suit.

Maybe with all the deposits they will be receiving starting on 5 April Crystal will get around to completing refunds; would be surprised to see those that are still owed money depositing for new cruises.

The normal itineraries until October from the Serenity have been cancelled since the cruises now are in the Bahamas. What was the communication from Crystal to those passengers who were booked on the cancelled  itineraries? What does Crystal say in terms of how long the refunds will take?

Ivi

9 hours ago, travelberlin said:

The normal itineraries until October from the Serenity have been cancelled since the cruises now are in the Bahamas. What was the communication from Crystal to those passengers who were booked on the cancelled  itineraries? What does Crystal say in terms of how long the refunds will take?

Ivi

No refund timeline has been provided.

Once the TA notified us that our voyages had been cancelled, we requested a full refund, and she submitted the form requesting a refund.  She then received an automated response that our request was received and their Teams are “working as fast as they possibly can and will take care of the request”.  I requested that my TA contact Crystal again to obtain an updated invoice showing the pending full refund with no admin fee withheld so that I could obtain a voucher or refund of our travel insurance premium.  My TA was told that Crystal has not officially cancelled the original voyages in their electronic system, and until they do, Crystal is unable to provide the documentation.

This is the first cancellation where we did not promptly receive the updated invoice showing the full pending refund.

I guess Crystal’s refund statistics will look better to a creditor or investor if these voyages are not officially cancelled and have no pending refunds or chargebacks.  ☹️

I can be patient waiting for my refund, but I do not appreciate being left in limbo with no documentation that my full refund is pending.  ☹️

3 hours ago, RLMSLL said:

No refund timeline has been provided.

Once the TA notified us that our voyages had been cancelled, we requested a full refund, and she submitted the form requesting a refund.  She then received an automated response that our request was received and their Teams are “working as fast as they possibly can and will take care of the request”.  I requested that my TA contact Crystal again to obtain an updated invoice showing the pending full refund with no admin fee withheld so that I could obtain a voucher or refund of our travel insurance premium.  My TA was told that Crystal has not officially cancelled the original voyages in their electronic system, and until they do, Crystal is unable to provide the documentation.

This is the first cancellation where we did not promptly receive the updated invoice showing the full pending refund.

I guess Crystal’s refund statistics will look better to a creditor or investor if these voyages are not officially cancelled and have no pending refunds or chargebacks.  ☹️

I can be patient waiting for my refund, but I do not appreciate being left in limbo with no documentation that my full refund is pending.  ☹️

Thanks for your answer. Please let us know when you receive the confirmation of your pending refund. 
Ivi

17 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Thanks for your answer. Please let us know when you receive the confirmation of your pending refund. 
Ivi

Good news!  Crystal has now entered the voyage cancellations in their system and provided an updated Payment Confirmation which shows our pending full refunds.  No timeline has been given for the refunds, and I suspect they may be unable to predict at this time.  I can wait patiently for the refund.  At least now I have the needed documentation to work the cancellation of our travel insurance and obtain a voucher or refund of the premium.

My TA spoke to Crystal rep about a week ago and was informed that our refund for our Crystal Business class Air has morphed into what they call a CREDIT which can be used for a future cruise (for the air or just the cruise fare). So we have given up on getting a refund which is ok since we plan to cruise with Crystal again preferring ships with under 1000 passengers who offer very good service on board. So, for those of you still waiting for a refund-do not hold your breath.

16 hours ago, RLMSLL said:

Good news!  Crystal has now entered the voyage cancellations in their system and provided an updated Payment Confirmation which shows our pending full refunds.  No timeline has been given for the refunds, and I suspect they may be unable to predict at this time.  I can wait patiently for the refund.  At least now I have the needed documentation to work the cancellation of our travel insurance and obtain a voucher or refund of the premium.

Now you could check with your credit card provider. I have read on this thread that if you wait too long for the refund, the credit card company tries to refuse payment in case you have to ask them if Crystal does not refund.

Ivi

4 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Now you could check with your credit card provider. I have read on this thread that if you wait too long for the refund, the credit card company tries to refuse payment in case you have to ask them if Crystal does not refund.

Ivi

We tend to book as soon as new itineraries are announced, and the deposit was made with a Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa.  Consequently the charges are too old for a Visa dispute.

According to our insurance broker, once the cruise line has cancelled a voyage, the travel insurance policy is no longer in effect, so we are no longer protected against financial default.  Thus we want to receive a voucher or refund for our insurance premium.

1 hour ago, RLMSLL said:

We tend to book as soon as new itineraries are announced, and the deposit was made with a Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa.  Consequently the charges are too old for a Visa dispute.

According to our insurance broker, once the cruise line has cancelled a voyage, the travel insurance policy is no longer in effect, so we are no longer protected against financial default.  Thus we want to receive a voucher or refund for our insurance premium.

I understood that once the cruise line cancels you have 60 or 90 days to claim with your credit card. The date seems to be from the moment that services were supposed to start but are not provided. I am not sure 🤔 

Edited by travelberlin
8 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

I understood that once the cruise line cancels you have 60 or 90 days to claim with your credit card. The date seems to be from the moment that services were supposed to start but are not provided. I am not sure 🤔 

It varies by network, but for Visa you have 120 days from the last date of service, not to exceed 540 days from the original transaction date.  Theoretically they can claim you have 120 days from the date you're notified of the cancellation, but if they don't provide you a processing deadline for them to complete the refund (or blew through the date provided) then 120 days from notice becomes problematic to enforce.

Vince

Yesterday was the end of March.  Crystal`s March 11 statement on refunds says they had refunded $164m by that date, and 37% of the outstanding refunds would be paid by the end of month.  By my calculations, that would be $20m was to be paid out by March 31.  Crystal also said 46% would be paid by the end of April, and by my calculations that is in the order of $25m.

https://www.crystalcruises.com/advisory-alerts/issuance-of-cruise-refunds

Crystal also made an earlier statement that they would process AMEX refunds, and US port cruises, and based on comments on this thread, the Crystal Society facebook page and emails from fellow passengers,  I feel they held their word.

Based on what you know, how would you rate Crystal on its progress for the March 31 date?

5 hours ago, crickette said:

Based on what you know, how would you rate Crystal on its progress for the March 31 date?

Haven't seen any on my refund.

SusieQft:

Amazed!  So far received credit to one credit card on March 24, 2021.  Now waiting for credit to another card and we will be paid back in full as much as can be.  This was for our cruise on Serenity leaving Southampton, September 5, 2021 and cancelled by Crystal March12, 2021 and full refund requested to us by our TA that same day.

Mary

9 hours ago, firstcruise91 said:

SusieQft:

Amazed!  So far received credit to one credit card on March 24, 2021.  Now waiting for credit to another card and we will be paid back in full as much as can be.  This was for our cruise on Serenity leaving Southampton, September 5, 2021 and cancelled by Crystal March12, 2021 and full refund requested to us by our TA that same day.

Mary

I am glad to hear this. It is so important to regain confidence on Crystal! Since more itineraries are being cancelled at the moment in order to decide or not for a refund we have to trust that Crystal is managing things better. Very difficult to roll out for next years if we do not have that confidence. More and more guests receiving their refunds is a good starting point.

Ivi

I am happy to report we finally got our refund.  Our cruise was June 2020 and was canceled in April 2020.   We got the refund last week about 11 months after we requested.   We did do a credit card and insurance claim last Fall.  Hope everyone gets their refunds soon.  

On 3/9/2021 at 9:21 PM, oakridger said:

Well, well, well, the day has arrived and I just got most of (= 74%) the permanent credit on my MasterCard for the two cruises Crystal cancelled on April 28, 2020! There were three charges from June, July and August 2019.  The July and August were paid today.  I filed the credit card dispute on December 9, 2020.  

What a long and disappointing process this has been and it's still not quite finished.  I'm really hoping Crystal gets through this mess for the sake of their wonderful employees!  

Good Luck,

~Nancy

Hello @SusieQft.  Today I finally received the final credit for my June 2020 cruises on my MasterCard!  Thank you again for keeping the spreadsheets.  Now that Crystal is selling some cruises I sure hope everyone gets their refunds much sooner than most of us.  I can't wait to hear how the Bahamas cruises go.

~Nancy

4 minutes ago, ghgeckos said:

We are now at 231 days since our cancelation and refund request from Crystal. Anyone else still waiting this long?

Sorry, you might have a looooong wait; I'm at day 349 and stiiiiiiill waiting!

Patty

23 minutes ago, ghgeckos said:

We are now at 231 days since our cancelation and refund request from Crystal. Anyone else still waiting this long?

We are  320 days from our first "cancellation notice", and 6 months from our second one, No refund yet