Crystal Refund Roll Call

In the quoted press release, Crystal said they expect to process 95% of the refunds by end of April, NOT 100 %.  So either Crystal is saying something different to some TAs, or some TAs can't tell the difference between 95% and 100%, which is a big deal, especially to those who end up in the unrefunded 5%.

On 4/13/2021 at 2:44 PM, SusieQft said:

Crystal says they are catching up on refunds.  If you are in the roll call spreadsheet and it has been a long time since we heard from you, please let us know if you have received your refund or not.

Since some of you may not be reading the Crystal forum now, I am pinging the ones who are over a year now:  @jafeldman, @ScarlettMick, @Vegas Cruiser, @gwesq@powlan @Lord Haw Haw, @Helenewe, @BerberBear, @marykaymom10, @John Wooden, @katieaz, @krisbelledc, @Radar17, @cruisr, @ClefsDor, @PAllinson

Even if you are not in the list above, please still send an update.  I am hoping that things might not be as bad as it appears in the spreadsheet.

Thank you!

Yes, we did receive our refund, many months ago.

19 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

The major amount due is for the Lisbon to London, June, 2020. Also am owed the deposit for the Barcelona to Athens, October, 2020. On both I waited for the cruises to be cancelled by Crystal.😵

Patty

Hmmmm…. I can’t think of an obvious reason or funding source for those, and both dates have passed.  I’m pretty sure the remaining 5% isn’t random (though they may fit a variety of different conditions), but I wish I could figure out what the strings are on those bookings.

Vince

Disappointing news from Crystal yesterday:

https://www.crystalcruises.com/advisory-alerts/issuance-of-cruise-refunds

ISSUANCE OF CRUISE REFUNDS

• Update on Progress of Refunds

Updated Thursday, April 29, 2021

Message from Jack Anderson, Interim President & CEO:

While we have now completed over $185 million in refunds including $21 million processed in March and April, this is, of course, much less than expected when we provided our last update and I sincerely apologize to everyone who continues to be affected. The release of significant additional collateral funds has been delayed until May when we anticipate more progress will be realized.

We know this is extremely disappointing for our valued guests, and their tireless travel partners, who are still waiting on refunds. The Crystal team remains committed to resolving all monies owed and we will not rest or waiver on our obligation.

Re FCCs.  All of our cancellation statements indicate that the FCC (arising from the cancellation fees) will expire 12 months from date of cancellation.  I have seen nothing to indicate this date has been extended in any way.  Can anyone point me to the most recent info (in writing) on this, please?

We were promised by CRYSTAL to get our refund by the end of April, total around $15000, $6.5K of it close to one year old since cancellation. Obviously they did NOT live up to their promise, AGAIN.

44 minutes ago, docmark said:

We were promised by CRYSTAL to get our refund by the end of April, total around $15000, $6.5K of it close to one year old since cancellation. Obviously they did NOT live up to their promise, AGAIN.

44 minutes ago, docmark said:

Ha, Crystal and promise is truly an oxymoron. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, crickette said:

Disappointing news from Crystal yesterday:

https://www.crystalcruises.com/advisory-alerts/issuance-of-cruise-refunds

ISSUANCE OF CRUISE REFUNDS

• Update on Progress of Refunds

Updated Thursday, April 29, 2021

Message from Jack Anderson, Interim President & CEO:

While we have now completed over $185 million in refunds including $21 million processed in March and April, this is, of course, much less than expected when we provided our last update and I sincerely apologize to everyone who continues to be affected. The release of significant additional collateral funds has been delayed until May when we anticipate more progress will be realized.

We know this is extremely disappointing for our valued guests, and their tireless travel partners, who are still waiting on refunds. The Crystal team remains committed to resolving all monies owed and we will not rest or waiver on our obligation.

This must be totally embarrassing for Crystal.  I have no idea why Crystal decided to put out such a silly press release earlier, promising that 95% of the refunds will be completed by end of April.  As I said a few days ago, seeing things like this really makes Crystal look really bad.

Edited by Psoque
Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2021 at 9:46 AM, crickette said:

Re FCCs.  All of our cancellation statements indicate that the FCC (arising from the cancellation fees) will expire 12 months from date of cancellation.  I have seen nothing to indicate this date has been extended in any way.  Can anyone point me to the most recent info (in writing) on this, please?

It does not seem a good idea to accept any FCC from cancellations from Crystal without trying to get it refunded.

If your booking was made before the pandemic and/or before the mandatory covid-19 vaccination requirement, ask your TA to help you to get admin fees back or file a dispute with your credit card company if you are still in that time-frame for disputes (it varies from cc to cc - mine is 540 days from the booking deposit).

Also, if you file a dispute with your credit card company, file for a full amount including admin fees (please see for which reasons - mentioned above).  

If the act of filing a dispute prompts Crystal to refund you but without admin fees, do not close your dispute and let your credit card company work on refunding admin fees.

P.S. If all fails, there is always a small claims court route. 

Edited by Sdancer
On 5/1/2021 at 2:26 PM, Sdancer said:

It does not seem a good idea to accept any FCC from cancellations from Crystal without trying to get it refunded.

If your booking was made before the pandemic and/or before the mandatory covid-19 vaccination requirement, ask your TA to help you to get admin fees back or file a dispute with your credit card company if you are still in that time-frame for disputes (it varies from cc to cc - mine is 540 days from the booking deposit).

Also, if you file a dispute with your credit card company, file for a full amount including admin fees (please see for which reasons - mentioned above).  

If the act of filing a dispute prompts Crystal to refund you but without admin fees, do not close your dispute and let your credit card company work on refunding admin fees.

P.S. If all fails, there is always a small claims court route. 

I wonder if anybody has already tried to get the refund via litigation through the small claims court.  The thought crossed my mind previously, but I wasn’t sure doing so would be cost effective.  Perhaps I can do this all virtually online application and teleconferencing for a reasonable fee??

Just a short note on the idea of pursuing Crystal in small claims court.  I posted somewhere earlier (and I can't remember where) a bit of a review of the terms of Crystal's contract with its guests.  To make a long story a bit short:

• The contract is a classic "contract of adhesion" so to speak.  Either you agree to it or you don't get the service.  There is no negotiation of the terms between the parties.
  • The contract says several things:
    • You agree to mandatory arbitration of disputes to take place in Miami before you can file any suit.
    • You agree that there can be no class actions so that minimal claims (in their eyes) cannot be consolidated into a claim for a class of individuals
    • You agree that any suit you can file (post mandatory arbitration) must be filed in state or federal court in Miami

This is all done from memory so I may have missed the exact terms a bit.  But suffice it to say that if one were to file a small claims action (wherever) one would have to serve process on Crystal and my guess is that such a filing would be hit with some procedural motion to dismiss the action due to the contract provisions.  If someone is game to try I say good luck to them.  Small claims is very cost efficient but having such an action being pursued in Miami even if one could get past the mandatory arbitration hurdle would be a different story.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, H2O Polo Willie said:

Just a short note on the idea of pursuing Crystal in small claims court.  I posted somewhere earlier (and I can't remember where) a bit of a review of the terms of Crystal's contract with its guests.  To make a long story a bit short:

• The contract is a classic "contract of adhesion" so to speak.  Either you agree to it or you don't get the service.  There is no negotiation of the terms between the parties.
  • The contract says several things:
    • You agree to mandatory arbitration of disputes to take place in Miami before you can file any suit.
    • You agree that there can be no class actions so that minimal claims (in their eyes) cannot be consolidated into a claim for a class of individuals
    • You agree that any suit you can file (post mandatory arbitration) must be filed in state or federal court in Miami

This is all done from memory so I may have missed the exact terms a bit.  But suffice it to say that if one were to file a small claims action (wherever) one would have to serve process on Crystal and my guess is that such a filing would be hit with some procedural motion to dismiss the action due to the contract provisions.  If someone is game to try I say good luck to them.  Small claims is very cost efficient but having such an action being pursued in Miami even if one could get past the mandatory arbitration hurdle would be a different story.

You are correct, thank you - I did not know that. I found the link below in my booking confirmation, not on the Crystal website.

See #21 :

https://www.crystalcruises.com/legal/crystal-cruises-general-ticket-terms-conditions

We decided to wait for two months for our excellent TA to deal with getting a full refund from Crystal.

If Crystal declines our request, we will file a dispute for a full refund with our credit card.

The final dispute resolution might take up to two months.

I will post the end result.

Edited by Sdancer
3 hours ago, Sdancer said:

We decided to wait for two months for our excellent TA to deal with getting a full refund from Crystal.

If Crystal declines our request, we will file a dispute for a full refund with our credit card.

The final dispute resolution might take up to two months

How long have you already been waiting?

I wouldn’t wait to file the credit card dispute - do it now. History has shown that “excellent” TAs have made little to no difference to getting refunds out of Crystal - however credit card disputes done within time limits achieve pretty much 100% success

I also agree

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

I wouldn’t wait to file the credit card dispute - do it now. History has shown that “excellent” TAs have made little to no difference to getting refunds out of Crystal - however credit card disputes done within time limits achieve pretty much 100% success

I also agree that you should dispute the charges with the credit card now.  There's no benefit in waiting.  I personally don't think filing a dispute with the credit card means you are somehow playing "hardball" with Crystal.  Credit card companies provide the dispute mechanism as a service to their cardmembers for occasions exactly like this.  Also, if you wait too long, credit card companies can refuse to process your dispute, calling the charges "too old."  It is a shame that you have to go through the process instead of refund occurring in a timely manner.  But that's clearly Crystal's fault, not yours.  I gave Crystal maybe 3-4 weeks after I requested a refund for the cruise Crystal cancelled on us to file my disputes, and I got everything back except for the deposits, which were charged to me outside the time period defined by the credit card company (these charges are considered "too old" by the credit card company).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

Thanks!

Last Friday I have started a cancellation process for two bookings and requesting a waiver of admin fees.

We are expecting a reply from Crystal this week.

I still have time to file a dispute as I was told by our credit card company and a good chance to get my admin fees refunded based on our specific reasons.

I just wanted to give Crystal a chance to do the right thing before deciding never-ever to book with Crystal again.

Edited by Sdancer
On 4/30/2021 at 9:46 AM, crickette said:

Mine expired and I just decided to let it go because I waited nearly a year for my refund and I just didn’t have the energy to worry about it anymore.  Why anyone would give Crystal a cent these days is bewildering to me but that’s just me.

1 hour ago, Psoque said:

I also agree

I also agree that you should dispute the charges with the credit card now.  There's no benefit in waiting.  I personally don't think filing a dispute with the credit card means you are somehow playing "hardball" with Crystal.  Credit card companies provide the dispute mechanism as a service to their cardmembers for occasions exactly like this.  Also, if you wait too long, credit card companies can refuse to process your dispute, calling the charges "too old."  It is a shame that you have to go through the process instead of refund occurring in a timely manner.  But that's clearly Crystal's fault, not yours.  I gave Crystal maybe 3-4 weeks after I requested a refund for the cruise Crystal cancelled on us to file my disputes, and I got everything back except for the deposits, which were charged to me outside the time period defined by the credit card company (these charges are considered "too old" by the credit card company).

Thank you for your encouragement and advice.

I have requested a cancellation last week and just waiting for Crystal to process it.

I have paid deposits only (before the pandemic).

I am not waiting for Crystal to cancel because by that time I would have to make the final payment and my charges would be considered "too old" to file a dispute, as you have pointed out. 

My dispute will be for a full refund including admin fees.

I will post the end result of my dispute.

Thanks again! 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rwadam said:

Mine expired and I just decided to let it go because I waited nearly a year for my refund and I just didn’t have the energy to worry about it anymore.  Why anyone would give Crystal a cent these days is bewildering to me but that’s just me.

I absolutely agree with you not giving a cent to Crystal. 

When people accept FCC, they would have to give Crystal more money in order to use it.  No way! :).

We do not even know how long all the covid-19 restrictions are going to last - could be for a long time.

Now is the best time to visit US national parks - not too crowded and no lodging reservations are required far in advance as before the pandemic. 

We went to Rockies Mountain NP in Colorado, Saguaro NP in Arizona,  Joshua Tree in CA...

Yosemite Valley in CA, WY, OR - so many beautiful places to see!

We will eventually return to cruising when we could again enjoy the same experience as before the pandemic but not to Crystal.

Edited by Sdancer
On 4/30/2021 at 10:46 AM, crickette said:

My TA recently obtained an updated list of my FCCs that shows they have been extended to 12/31/23 sail by date. They have to be applied by 12/31/22 as I recall. 

We booked a cruise on Silversea last week because how can one have any trust with Crystal?  There was a comprable itinerary on Crystal but there was no way we were going to book it. Their refund process has become a horrible joke.  We are still owed a nominal amount of money from a trip cancelled last May because we put a small deposit down on a card we cancelled. 

3 hours ago, parallax said:

We booked a cruise on Silversea last week because how can one have any trust with Crystal?  There was a comprable itinerary on Crystal but there was no way we were going to book it. Their refund process has become a horrible joke.  We are still owed a nominal amount of money from a trip cancelled last May because we put a small deposit down on a card we cancelled. 

Are you sure your refund isn't sitting on the cancelled card waiting for you? I would check on line or call the issuer. Had it happen.

The same thing has happened to us, several times in the past.  Crystal refunds have gone into a card that was subsequently cancelled after the original payment.  And a very annoying process it was, going back and forth between Crystal and the issuer to get it resolved.

Emily

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mrs. Claypool said:

The same thing has happened to us, several times in the past.  Crystal refunds have gone into a card that was subsequently cancelled after the original payment.  And a very annoying process it was, going back and forth between Crystal and the issuer to get it resolved.

Emily

On 5/3/2021 at 4:24 PM, rwadam said:

sorry rwadam, quoted by mistake

Edited by Sdancer
5 hours ago, parallax said:

If it not the Chase bank, you have a good chance to get your refund back and even file a dispute on a canceled credit card. Do not wait, call or go on-line to check your credit card balance. If you have a credit balance, request a check to be mailed to you.

If you have checking or savings account with this bank, ask your refund to be transferred there.

If it is the JPMorgan Chase Bank credit card and you do not have any other accounts with the Chase, then call Chase right away or go online to check if your account is still in their system. 

Chase Bank erases cancelled credit card accounts with zero balance just 3 months after you cancel.

After that it would be very difficult to get your money from Chase.

PayPal has sent my refund to my canceled United Explorer Card by Chase Bank (I have a paper trail from PayPal) but Chase has refused to give it to me claiming that they cannot find me in the system.

After going through 4 months of complaints to Consumer Finance agency, I finally filed a case in Small Claims Court. It is scheduled for June and I am looking forward to it! :). 

29th April 2021, finally received refund in full - one year to the day of the original refund request. Booking was cruise on Crystal Symphony cancelled by Crystal on 28th April. Requested refund on 29th April 2020.