Crystal Refund Roll Call

It was through a card with Merrill Lynch, who we still have accounts with.  ML is aware of the issue and will notify us of the refund.  Our finanacial advisor checks every couple of weeks for us.  When I last talked to Crystal, they indicated it was still in the queue.

Posted (edited)

Just received a paper check in the mail from Crystal for $400.  Pretty sure this was the deposit charged to my Symphony shipboard account when I made a booking onboard in January 2020.  I really thought the money was lost forever.

All other monies owed were redeployed to other future cruises or received as credits on my credit card.  Crystal and I are square.   

Edited by flyingshoes
Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2021 at 12:40 PM, crickette said:

Disappointing news from Crystal yesterday:

https://www.crystalcruises.com/advisory-alerts/issuance-of-cruise-refunds

ISSUANCE OF CRUISE REFUNDS

• Update on Progress of Refunds

Updated Thursday, April 29, 2021

Message from Jack Anderson, Interim President & CEO:

While we have now completed over $185 million in refunds including $21 million processed in March and April, this is, of course, much less than expected when we provided our last update and I sincerely apologize to everyone who continues to be affected. The release of significant additional collateral funds has been delayed until May when we anticipate more progress will be realized.

We know this is extremely disappointing for our valued guests, and their tireless travel partners, who are still waiting on refunds. The Crystal team remains committed to resolving all monies owed and we will not rest or waiver on our obligation.

It's interesting to note that the last sentence of this public announcement says "The Crystal team remains committed to resolving all monies owed and we will not rest or waiver on our obligation."  Maybe this is just "business-speak," but the final sentence sounds grossly disingenuous to me.  I am convinced that their seemingly indefinite delay on our refunds is nothing other than "resting on their obligation."

Edited by Psoque
2 hours ago, Psoque said:

It's interesting to note that the last sentence of this public announcement says "The Crystal team remains committed to resolving all monies owed and we will not rest or waiver on our obligation."  Maybe this is just "business-speak," but the final sentence sounds grossly disingenuous to me.  I am convinced that their seemingly indefinite delay on our refunds is nothing other than "resting on their obligation."

Hopefully Crystal will also not rest or waver on their obligation.  We're still waiting for a good percentage of our money after 1 year.

Phyllis

2 hours ago, Psoque said:

The context of that sentence, as outlined in the rest of that message is important.  As with saw with the FMC funds, they have no control over when the surety, trustee, or obligee (depending on the specific collateral) will actually release the funds.  Now shame on them for SHARING the April estimate they were provided, knowing this has happened before (like with the FMC money) — that’s on them — but in the context of where this money is coming from I don’t find that particular combination of sentences at all disingenuous.

Vince

14 hours ago, JusttheTwoofUs said:

Hopefully Crystal will also not rest or waver on their obligation.  We're still waiting for a good percentage of our money after 1 year.

Phyllis

Yes, whoever that wrote this for Crystal should have used the verb waver instead of the word waiver, which is not even a verb.  I just quoted what was posted online.

It's entirely possible that

14 hours ago, BWIVince said:

The context of that sentence, as outlined in the rest of that message is important.  As with saw with the FMC funds, they have no control over when the surety, trustee, or obligee (depending on the specific collateral) will actually release the funds.  Now shame on them for SHARING the April estimate they were provided, knowing this has happened before (like with the FMC money) — that’s on them — but in the context of where this money is coming from I don’t find that particular combination of sentences at all disingenuous.

Vince

I still think that the placement of the sentence in the announcement is definitely inappropriate, though perhaps possibly not entirely false, maybe.  But the fact that Crystal (whether intentionally or unintentionally...we would never know) has been woefully derelict on meeting its financial obligations regarding issuance of refunds in a timely manner is grossly inconsistent with the positive sentiment Crystal is trying to communicate with that sentence.  In fact, I personally found the sentence insulting and patronizing at best.

24 minutes ago, Psoque said:

It's entirely possible that

I still think that the placement of the sentence in the announcement is definitely inappropriate, though perhaps possibly not entirely false, maybe.  But the fact that Crystal (whether intentionally or unintentionally...we would never know) has been woefully derelict on meeting its financial obligations regarding issuance of refunds in a timely manner is grossly inconsistent with the positive sentiment Crystal is trying to communicate with that sentence.  In fact, I personally found the sentence insulting and patronizing at best.

…And that’s fine, you’re of course entitled to feel how you feel — I’m not arguing that.  I was just filling in the context, which I thought was important.

Vince

57 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

…And that’s fine, you’re of course entitled to feel how you feel — I’m not arguing that.  I was just filling in the context, which I thought was important.

Vince

If what you mean by “the context” is that Crystal is still very short of cash, that does not give them a good reason to say that they have “not rested...on their financial obligations.”  Whether this is because of excruciating circumstances or not, Crystal has been failing to meet it financial obligations so far to many of their customers.

Posted (edited)

I had an interesting experience filing a VISA dispute with my credit card company today.

My deposit charges go back to 2019.

Since they were too old to file my dispute on-line (6 months time-frame to file on-line), I called the dispute department direct line.

1. The first employee told me that she could file only for transactions being made the last 6 months.

I asked her if she works for the dispute department. No - customer service (?).

I asked to talk to someone from the dispute department.

2. The dispute department employee told me that my charges are too old to file the dispute on the phone and I have to file it by mail and include my statements. 

I asked to talk to a supervisor.

3. The supervisor had no problem looking up my transactions from 2019 and filing the dispute on the phone. He said that the previous employee just had to click on a few buttons to see the old charges.

He said that the filing period is 2 years!!!

I went online to confirm that my dispute was filed.

Yes, the online Dispute Center already had my dispute posted.

Edited by Sdancer
6 hours ago, Psoque said:

Yes, whoever that wrote this for Crystal should have used the verb waver instead of the word waiver, which is not even a verb.  I just quoted what was posted online.

Sorry if you thought I was blaming you -  I am aware it was in the original announcement.  It was just typical of many of the official publicity notices I see, and even the daily newspaper (which I don't think has editors any more), where the English language is misused.  Just my pet peeve!

Phyllis

7 hours ago, Psoque said:

If what you mean by “the context” is that Crystal is still very short of cash, that does not give them a good reason to say that they have “not rested...on their financial obligations.”  Whether this is because of excruciating circumstances or not, Crystal has been failing to meet it financial obligations so far to many of their customers.

Why do you keep trying to project that discussion on me?  My message had nothing to do with Crystal’s financial condition.   I was simply trying to expand on something technical.

Vince

3 hours ago, Sdancer said:

I had an interesting experience filing a VISA dispute with my credit card company today.

My deposit charges go back to 2019.

Since they were too old to file my dispute on-line (6 months time-frame to file on-line), I called the dispute department direct line.

1. The first employee told me that she could file only for transactions being made the last 6 months.

I asked her if she works for the dispute department. No - customer service (?).

I asked to talk to someone from the dispute department.

2. The dispute department employee told me that my charges are too old to file the dispute on the phone and I have to file it by mail and include my statements. 

I asked to talk to a supervisor.

3. The supervisor had no problem looking up my transactions from 2019 and filing the dispute on the phone. He said that the previous employee just had to click on a few buttons to see the old charges.

He said that the filing period is 2 years!!!

I went online to confirm that my dispute was filed.

Yes, the online Dispute Center already had my dispute posted.

Ironically, none of the answers you were given were actually correct.  Calls 1 and 2 could have been correct on other technicalities, but not “too old” as a blanket statement.  Visa’s dispute reason code 13.1 gives purchases with future delivery 120 days from the FINAL day of service delivery (disembarkation), not to exceed 540 days from the original transaction date stamp, when merchants fail to deliver services.

Im glad you finally got resolution — HUCA (hang up and call again) is always an important strategy with call centers, sadly.

Vince

4 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Why do you keep trying to project that discussion on me?  My message had nothing to do with Crystal’s financial condition.   I was simply trying to expand on something technical.

Vince

I am quoting you because you clearly disagreed with my assertion and I am just politely stating the point that this particular statement by Crystal, like many others in the past is, to me, still disingenuous, even in the context of the information in this public announcement, and definitely insulting to many customers especially in the context of how Crystal has behaved in the past 14 months.  I am also quoting you because one of your previous comments directed to me sounded, to me, a bit dismissive.  But of course, I do want or need you to agree with me.

3 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Ironically, none of the answers you were given were actually correct.  Calls 1 and 2 could have been correct on other technicalities, but not “too old” as a blanket statement.  Visa’s dispute reason code 13.1 gives purchases with future delivery 120 days from the FINAL day of service delivery (disembarkation), not to exceed 540 days from the original transaction date stamp, when merchants fail to deliver services.

Im glad you finally got resolution — HUCA (hang up and call again) is always an important strategy with call centers, sadly.

Vince

Good to know, thank you.

My dispute was opened under "goods/services not as expected" which is a different category from "failed to deliver".

I cancelled my booking today and opened the dispute right away.

We have an excellent travel agency and amazing TA which proved very valuable in the pandemic.

The agency has a special department which advocates for their customers. 

It would get our refund with the agency's help but I had enough with Crystal.

I am not going to book Crystal ever again.

4 hours ago, Sdancer said:

Good to know, thank you.

My dispute was opened under "goods/services not as expected" which is a different category from "failed to deliver".

I cancelled my booking today and opened the dispute right away.

We have an excellent travel agency and amazing TA which proved very valuable in the pandemic.

The agency has a special department which advocates for their customers. 

It would get our refund with the agency's help but I had enough with Crystal.

I am not going to book Crystal ever again.

That’s really interesting they went the route of 13.3 with “not as expected”, but as long as the bank accepted it that’s all that matters.  When Crystal finally receives the dispute they should credit it back the same way they would have with “failed to deliver,” I can’t see them trying to argue the case any differently.

Dispute timing is kind of interesting…. Technically with Visa the merchant gets 10 days from you contacting them to work out the issue before you’re supposed to file the dispute, and your bank can’t file the dispute for 15 days from the transaction (cancellation) date.  Banks work differently with that rule as you’ll see in this thread, but most will accept the dispute immediately, issue a temporary credit, and just put a “watch” on the case until the 15th day from transaction before sending it over to the merchant if the credit hasn’t come through by then.

If anyone gets pushback on filing the dispute in less than 10 days from the cancellation, the workaround is to request a temporary credit from your bank until the credit clears, which most banks will let you do immediately.  This not only gets you a temporary credit for your money, but it lays the foundation for the dispute if the credit from the cruise line isn’t forthcoming timing-wise.  You may still have to file the dispute after 10 days as a separate step, but half the work is already done in that case.

Vince

To all who may be concerned, my refund for the Lisbon to London cruise has been posted to my credit card!!! I have been b!+#&!@g enough lately that it is only fair that I acknowledge the refund - finally - a year and a week after the cruise was cancelled!! 😲😏🤩

Patty

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

To all who may be concerned, my refund for the Lisbon to London cruise has been posted to my credit card!!! I have been b!+#&!@g enough lately that it is only fair that I acknowledge the refund - finally - a year and a week after the cruise was cancelled!! 😲😏🤩

Patty

YYYAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!😁😁😁

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Patty

Yippeeeeeeeee

Nancy

Finally - but still unbelievable they could take so long. Totally inconsistent as I got that same cruise refunded at the end of July after an Amex dispute was raised

6 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Finally - but still unbelievable they could take so long. Totally inconsistent as I got that same cruise refunded at the end of July after an Amex dispute was raised

I had "faith" (totally misplaced!) and didn't lodge a complaint with my credit card until it was too late. At this point I will wait to hear what the Caribbean cruises are like, what the 2022 schedule will actually look like and then will determine if I've "forgiven" Crystal!!

Patty

3 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I had "faith" (totally misplaced!) and didn't lodge a complaint with my credit card until it was too late. At this point I will wait to hear what the Caribbean cruises are like, what the 2022 schedule will actually look like and then will determine if I've "forgiven" Crystal!!

Patty

After meeting and sitting with you Patty on an Alaskan boat excursion in 2019... I feel we are similar, that Crystal Cruises onboard product is such a great fit, and there is not another cruise co. like it. These have been truly unimaginable times. A sincere hope of mine is, we will have our Crystal experience again! We have booked 5 back to backs for May/June 2022. I do hope to meet you again on a future cruise. I'm so very happy for you, and I'm sure you are breathing a "sigh of relief"!

14 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Patty

So happy for you!!! ❤️❤️❤️

On 4/13/2021 at 2:44 PM, SusieQft said:

Crystal says they are catching up on refunds.  If you are in the roll call spreadsheet and it has been a long time since we heard from you, please let us know if you have received your refund or not.

Since some of you may not be reading the Crystal forum now, I am pinging the ones who are over a year now:  @jafeldman, @ScarlettMick, @Vegas Cruiser, @gwesq@powlan @Lord Haw Haw, @Helenewe, @BerberBear, @marykaymom10, @John Wooden, @katieaz, @krisbelledc, @Radar17, @cruisr, @ClefsDor, @PAllinson

Even if you are not in the list above, please still send an update.  I am hoping that things might not be as bad as it appears in the spreadsheet.

Thank you!

I did not get a full refund they kept an admin fee which they applied to a future reservation. the rest of my money was returned to my AMEX account after I filed a dispute with AMEX.