Crystal Refund Roll Call

SusieQft

11 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

What you mean it’s not happening 😉😷😩

Sorry we’re not going to get to sail together again - at this stage. We’ll wait for Crystal to cancel it then move the deposit $$$ to our plan B cruise that we have already decided on - but hopefully you don’t have to wait too long for your refund 

We'd been looking forward to sailing again with you and Kerry, but alas it is not to be--at least not this one. The Australian and NZ ports make up more than a month of the cruise (and the western coast of AUS was a big part of why we booked it), and those look like no-gos. Add to that the uncertainty of other ports and Crystal's uncertain future as demonstrated by its worst-in-industry refund record. I'm glad to see its current cruises are going well, and I hope it recovers both financially and in terms of the trust of the clientele. But we just didn't see this cruise happening, at least with an itinerary worth the investment of money and time, so decided to beat the rush on refund requests.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 12:39 PM, RJ2002 said:

Another addition to the deposit list, sorry to say...

Scheduled sail date:  August 1, 2021 (cancelled by Crystal April 1, 2021)

Refund requested:  April 2, 2021

Refund of deposit was credited on July 31, 2021

• Thanks 2

Recieved my refund yesterday after a 5 month wait.  Do not know if they got to me on the list but went to facebook messenger and did get an answer to help in 24 hours. TA made multiple phone calls on my behalf. Recieved a phone call from Crystal to apologize, said I thank you.

Glad it over!

• Like 2

Cancellation date 7.28.2021 for cruise 8.7-8.14.2021

Received full refund back to our credit card 8.5.2021

Future travels will not include Crystal due to vaccination changes on the above cruise.  Tho kudos for such a rapid refund.

Edited by suspaul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

SusieQft, we have requested the refund of our deposits for the WC 2022 and received a confirmation of cancellation from Crystal on August the 3rd. We will let you know once we receive the refund.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Thanks 1

We waited a little over 2 months for our refund on a Crystal-cancelled river cruise.  Quite an improvement in timing! 

Scheduled sail date:  September 13, 2021
Crystal cancelled:   June 3, 2021
Refund requested:  June 13, 2021
Partial refund* received: August 18, 2021

* Crystal held back $500 x 2 as a non-refundable admin fee.  This was done in error since the terms of our booking specifically waived all admin fees.  We've alerted Crystal to this and expect to receive the remaining deposit soon.  I'll let you know!

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2021 at 7:23 PM, wishIweretravelling said:

We cancelled  the 2022 world cruise (sail date Feb 2, 2022) and requested a refund of our deposit on June 15, 2021. No refund yet, of course.

Much to our astonishment, we received our refunds. My cabin-mate got it on 8/14, and I got mine today, 8/20.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just spent two hours reviewing this horror thread after I talked to my TA today. Crystal apparently hung on to millions of dollars in refund payments owed, depriving people of  their money( and  at a time when the market was booming 30-50% , so the value withheld was even greater than the amounts withheld).

I  am a newbie to Crystal, and was recently very impressed with the Endeavor in Iceland. I had booked that trip directly through Crystal to avoid any booking delays and confusion which I expected during Covid cruising rebounds ( which due to delta was sadly more restrained than ideal).  I reconnected with my old TA today and indicated I am considering Antarctica this season,  if Argentina and Chili really do open up, like their tourism ministers recently claimed they will ( though devil is in the details, of course).  But I worry about cancellation and lack of refund in a reasonable time frame ( or any!)  on an expensive cruise, and the aggravation.

This senior TA specializes in luxury cruises, ( she is part of a luxury consortium) ,  and had successfully helped me get a SB refund last year within what turned out to be a reasonable time period ( four months, which seemed long -- until I read this thread!).  Today, she said:

" I'm advising against Crystal until they pay up all our clients all the refunds due from 2020, and our agency. . . . I can guarantee that if you book Crystal for Antarctica and it doesn't open up, you won't get a refund from them. They owe people refunds for over 18 months".

Apparently agencies are also still being left uncompensated , and the ill will generated will not likely help future bookings, even if her opinion turns out to be wrong.    
She would be happy to book me with any other luxury line, just not Crystal, and under the circumstances, I understand.  That does not mean I won't book the Endeavor ( there are many reasons that favor that ship despite the refund risks, a key one being I would settle on FCC if the line still exists later on ), but it was a sobering conversation.

Does anyone know how it would work if Crystal gets bought by another cruise line, and has issued a lot of  FCC?  Would the new line honor it, invalidate it ( like airline takeovers can do)  or is it all negotiable in bankruptcy?

4 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

I just spent two hours reviewing this horror thread after I talked to my TA today. Crystal apparently hung on to millions of dollars in refund payments owed, depriving people of  their money( and  at a time when the market was booming 30-50% , so the value withheld was even greater than the amounts withheld).

I  am a newbie to Crystal, and was recently very impressed with the Endeavor in Iceland. I had booked that trip directly through Crystal to avoid any booking delays and confusion which I expected during Covid cruising rebounds ( which due to delta was sadly more restrained than ideal).  I reconnected with my old TA today and indicated I am considering Antarctica this season,  if Argentina and Chili really do open up, like their tourism ministers recently claimed they will ( though devil is in the details, of course).  But I worry about cancellation and lack of refund in a reasonable time frame ( or any!)  on an expensive cruise, and the aggravation.

This senior TA specializes in luxury cruises, ( she is part of a luxury consortium) ,  and had successfully helped me get a SB refund last year within what turned out to be a reasonable time period ( four months, which seemed long -- until I read this thread!).  Today, she said:

" I'm advising against Crystal until they pay up all our clients all the refunds due from 2020, and our agency. . . . I can guarantee that if you book Crystal for Antarctica and it doesn't open up, you won't get a refund from them. They owe people refunds for over 18 months".

Apparently agencies are also still being left uncompensated , and the ill will generated will not likely help future bookings, even if her opinion turns out to be wrong.    
She would be happy to book me with any other luxury line, just not Crystal, and under the circumstances, I understand.  That does not mean I won't book the Endeavor ( there are many reasons that favor that ship despite the refund risks, a key one being I would settle on FCC if the line still exists later on ), but it was a sobering conversation.

Does anyone know how it would work if Crystal gets bought by another cruise line, and has issued a lot of  FCC?  Would the new line honor it, invalidate it ( like airline takeovers can do)  or is it all negotiable in bankruptcy?

First, I would say that the current state is a LOT different than the prior state.  Earlier this summer I got thousands of dollars back from a cancelled voyage in about 9 business days, which is pretty good from any supplier right now.  It helped that my booking didn’t require return of funds from any other suppliers or regulators though, which has frequently been a hangup in this process, so mine was kind of a best scenario case.  It’s a cleaner measure of how long Crystal itself is actually taking to process refunds though.

Second, I would say Crystal has been about the worst in terms of average length of refunds, but we’re talking about shades different of the same problem all suppliers are having.  While I think I would describe it as more Crystal passengers have had to wait longer than most other passengers on most other lines, and the delays persisted longer than with other lines, this same issue was industry-wide last year.  That’s not any kind of defense of Crystal, just a reminder that looking back through historical threads takes some perspective sometimes.

Also, the picture on commissions is different than passenger refunds, and always has been.  One of my former employer’s main revenue streams is commissions, and they are STILL owed pre-covid group commissions from hotels and cruise lines (and so far as I know Crystal is not one of them), which continues to impact their ability to rehire laid off employees.  We’re not talking about a situation where Crystal is in a completely different situation than other suppliers.

Lastly, how passenger liabilities are handled in an acquisition is just like an airline.  If a cruise line/airline acquires a going concern, they acquire all the bookings.  If a competing airline/cruise line lets the company go out of business and then buys key assets from the trustee, they don’t inherit any of the strings they don’t negotiate in/out of the deal.  It just depends on what the acquirer is trying to accomplish, since each method serves a purpose.

Crystal’s primary value is in its brand, though for the first time in years it does have some competitive new hardware someone might be interested in with the new builds, so the latter may be more viable than the former for the first time in decades.

Vince

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yikes

What is the latter and what is the former in that sentence. brand, new harware, new builds

Yikes, I thought these fares were too good to be true. I guess the catch is that I could lose my money.

I guess I will stick with Princess and such.

2 minutes ago, freddyflounder said:
Yikes

What is the latter and what is the former in that sentence. brand, new harware, new builds

Yikes, I thought these fares were too good to be true. I guess the catch is that I could lose my money.

I guess I will stick with Princess and such.

Whoa…. I was answering a specific question, I certainly wasn’t saying Crystal is in any eminent danger of going anywhere.  I would certainly (and do) take EXACTLY the same precautions in booking with Princess, or any cruise line, right now as I do with Crystal.  Princess’s risks are different from Crystal’s, but in many ways they’re greater.  

Carnival has been burning the furniture to heat the house for a while now, and while it’s great they have more furniture to burn, that’s also completely unsustainable and extremely costly in the long term.

I booked my current Crystal cruise and hotel stay both with the same confidence of my credit card’s protections knowing I wouldn’t lose any money.  I wouldn’t book ANY cruise, hotel or airline ticket right now outside of those protections, because NO travel supplier in the industry is any safer than anyone else at this point.

Vince

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BWIVince said:

I booked my current Crystal cruise and hotel stay both with the same confidence of my credit card’s protections knowing I wouldn’t lose any money.  I wouldn’t book ANY cruise, hotel or airline ticket right now outside of those protections, because NO travel supplier in the industry is any safer than anyone else at this point.

Vince

Very well said Vince.  We are foolish to think any of them are that much different.  We also need to bare in mind the ownership and country within which of them are held.  I shake my head that a person will base their decision on old posts especially after having just taken a cruise on this same line.  A good lesson in where we place our focus. 

While admittedly last year handling refunds was pretty pathetic, our take away was to not delay requesting and following up on the refund, and if need be pursue it through the credit card company.  Another big lesson to us from having read these posts and been part of all of this,  was to be careful booking so far in advance ie those enticing cruises more than a year or so out when it seemed people had the most difficulty getting refunds.  Make your deposit and keep a close eye on things.  It seemed far easier getting refunds closer to the date it was charged to the credit card.

Crystal is not the only company with challenges to deal with.  We are booked on one of the new Atlas cruises and it has been terrible to deal with in all aspects.  We leave in 3 weeks and are still awaiting documents, flights over to Europe, the name of the hotel to be used in the pre-cruise package,  ever changing what is actually included not just what is advertised.... We took one of the Crystal Bahamas cruises in late July.  While there was a significant snafu with how something was handled up front by the land operation of Crystal, the onboard experience was as promised and the usual wonderful service and experience we have loved on Crystal.  I will go with that over the disorganization, chaos, and over promise but under deliver of another of another.  Nothing is perfect.  Especially in these times.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Unfortunately Crystal has lost a lot of its credibility due to the refunds issue. It is also the only cruise company I know, in which so much has been speculated about bankruptcy.

I have noticed that agents are not interested anymore in selling Crystal cruises. You have given the reasons. I am not an expert in selling cruises and I do not work for the industry. I am just a traveler and I love to cruise. From that perspective, I have seen the difficulties of many service providers due to Covid. I have also seen that many have been very accommodating with clients. For example, I have been refunded hotel bookings which were originally non refundable. The same with airline tickets. In several cases I have received my refund within days. In one case, with another cruise line, it took 60 days. This is the longest I had to wait, but there was not a doubt that I would get my money back or that the company could go bankrupt.

Crystal has been hit hard,  but it has started to sail and is trying to recover. I have been reading from more people being refunded and many others are happily using their FCCs to book cruises in the near future. This is giving confidence again. I hope the trend continues. I will try to support Crystal’s efforts as much as I can. I like the onboard experience and I would be sailing to Bermudas or to Bahamas right now if I could. Unfortunately not living in USA, it is not easy to cope with entry requirements from different countries. For this reason, and for the first time in my life,  I had to cancel some bookings with itineraries which involved many countries. But I still have some bookings for next year and while waiting for my refunds on the cancelled cruises I am also waiting to be able to be onboard a Crystal ship again. 

Ivi

• Like 1

It looks that people here remember only long refund times, but what about Crystal's lies?? 

Crystal has lost all the credibility with me and my family. 

Our excellent travel agency has a whole guest relations department continuously calling Crystal to follow up on all the refunds. How much money did it cost to the agency? 

Crystal has denied my request to refund cancellation admin fees though I booked well before the pandemic and Crystal's requirement to be vaccinated for everyone, including very young children (vaccinations are still not available for my 5 yo as of today!).

Let's not forget that Crystal was the only cruise company consistently lying to it's loyal customer base about 90-day refunds processing time. It was disrespectful and shady, lying to us and travel agencies.

This is the main reason that I am leaving Crystal! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From reading some of the recent accounts on this board I was hoping Crystal had started refunding clients for the cruises they cancelled in a reasonable amount of time.   Unfortunately it appears this is not the case and they continue to hold clients deposits and full payments for unacceptably lengthy periods.  I was able to retrieve my payments from the first two cruises they cancelled in a timely fashion by initiating transaction disputes with my bank.  I'm unable to do so in this case since the eligible time period permitted from the original transaction date has been exceeded.  Hopefully I won't have to wait a year to receive my deposit back like many others have.   Regards,  Paul

Scheduled sail date:  March 14, 2022
Crystal cancelled:      August 12, 2021
Refund requested:     August, 12, 2021
Refund received:        Still waiting as of September 20, 2021.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paf225 said:

From reading some of the recent accounts on this board I was hoping Crystal had started refunding clients for the cruises they cancelled in a reasonable amount of time.   Unfortunately it appears this is not the case and they continue to hold clients deposits and full payments for unacceptably lengthy periods.  I was able to retrieve my payments from the first two cruises they cancelled in a timely fashion by initiating transaction disputes with my bank.  I'm unable to do so in this case since the eligible time period permitted from the original transaction date has been exceeded.  Hopefully I won't have to wait a year to receive my deposit back like many others have.   Regards,  Paul

Scheduled sail date:  March 14, 2022
Crystal cancelled:      August 12, 2021
Refund requested:     August, 12, 2021
Refund received:        Still waiting as of September 20, 2021.

Some people have been waiting way longer than 5 1/2 weeks!

• Like 2

I am happy to report that we have received a part of our refund for the cancelled WC 2022 yesterday, September 20th. The confirmation of cancellation was on August 3rd. This corresponds to a deposit done by credit card. Thanks Crystal 🙏🏼

Another part of our refund for that cruise is still pending. That deposit was done using wire transfer. Crystal will refund also using wire transfer and has already asked for our bank details. I will let you know when we receive the money.

Ivi 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

SusieQft, 

unfortunately due to the uncertainties for international passengers like me in cruises touching several countries with different entry requirements each, I had to cancel my 23 nights cruise in November with the Serenity. I was going solo on that cruise.

I have received the confirmation of cancellation on September 9th. I have requested that part of the money shall be used to complete a payment on a cruise that I have next year and another part of the money to be refunded to me. 

I will let you know when I receive my refund.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, travelberlin said:

unfortunately due to the uncertainties for international passengers like me in cruises touching several countries with different entry requirements each

Ivi, I am sorry to hear this.  At least now it sounds likely that the US will be accepting vaccinated European travelers soon.  The uncertainties with cruising to multiple countries is going to be a challenge for all of us for a while.  Meanwhile, I do plan to sail Serenity in the Bahamas for 19 days in November, so I am sorry to miss this opportunity to meet you, at least for now. 

Karen

3 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Ivi, I am sorry to hear this.  At least now it sounds likely that the US will be accepting vaccinated European travelers soon.  The uncertainties with cruising to multiple countries is going to be a challenge for all of us for a while.  Meanwhile, I do plan to sail Serenity in the Bahamas for 19 days in November, so I am sorry to miss this opportunity to meet you, at least for now. 

Karen

Thanks Karen, 

yes I am very happy to hear about vaccinated Europeans being able to enter USA. If this is so I might book a cruise in January with Crystal. But it is so difficult to make plans several months in advance now. We used to plan years in advance.😔

Ivi

• Like 2