Jump to content

Crystal Refund Roll Call


SusieQft
 Share

Recommended Posts

In relation to our refund for our WC 2022, our travel agent received this answer from Crystal”:

 

”Finance is continuing to monitor the refund process and it is unfortunately taking longer than anticipated.  That’s the challenge we are faced with.” 

 

This means no refund for us and  nobody knows the reason because that answer doesn’t provide a reason. 
 

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2021 at 8:16 AM, audobon_tx said:

Cancelled Serenity April 2022 cruise on December 6  2021.  Deposit refund posted to credit card today.

 

I withdraw this post.  Credit sat "pending" on my cc for several days but has now disappeared so I assume Crystal pulled it back.  Had 190 nts of future bookings but now I probably will cancel all of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, audobon_tx said:

 

I withdraw this post.  Credit sat "pending" on my cc for several days but has now disappeared so I assume Crystal pulled it back.  Had 190 nts of future bookings but now I probably will cancel all of them.


Crystal can’t “pull back” a refund once it’s authorized, but the batch may not be settled yet.  The only way for them to un-refund an authorized transaction is to make a new counter charge or never settle/void the batch.  The latter would be unlikely and not constructive though, since they had to commit the funds to get the authorization in the first place.

 

I would follow up with Crystal and get more details on that transaction, and then follow up with your bank.  It’s not impossible that Crystal didn’t settle it yet, but it’s a lot more likely that your bank flagged the transaction for auditing, if the refund is for a large amount and not an amount you don’t regularly receive via refund.  If your bank did that, it would show as either a disappearing authorization or no authorization at all, followed by a gap between the transaction date and posting date of 3 to 30 days when the transaction finally posts.

 

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BWIVince said:


Crystal can’t “pull back” a refund once it’s authorized, but the batch may not be settled yet.  The only way for them to un-refund an authorized transaction is to make a new counter charge or never settle/void the batch.  The latter would be unlikely and not constructive though, since they had to commit the funds to get the authorization in the first place.

 

I would follow up with Crystal and get more details on that transaction, and then follow up with your bank.  It’s not impossible that Crystal didn’t settle it yet, but it’s a lot more likely that your bank flagged the transaction for auditing, if the refund is for a large amount and not an amount you don’t regularly receive via refund.  If your bank did that, it would show as either a disappearing authorization or no authorization at all, followed by a gap between the transaction date and posting date of 3 to 30 days when the transaction finally posts.

 

Vince

Actually, I would recommend just waiting a couple of days to allow for processing by the card company. Our last refund appeared as "Pending" on Thursday morning, disappeared by Saturday morning, and then showed up as a large credit balance on our Visa account on Tuesday morning.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, audobon_tx said:

 

I withdraw this post.  Credit sat "pending" on my cc for several days but has now disappeared so I assume Crystal pulled it back.  Had 190 nts of future bookings but now I probably will cancel all of them.

The exact same thing happened to us.  We cancelled a cruise on 12/2 & requested a refund of our deposit.  About a week ago, a pending credit appeared & then disappeared on our online account [Costco Citi Visa].  The Citi rep assured me that the credit was still there but had not yet been posted. The credit posted today 12/21.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Actually, I would recommend just waiting a couple of days to allow for processing by the card company. Our last refund appeared as "Pending" on Thursday morning, disappeared by Saturday morning, and then showed up as a large credit balance on our Visa account on Tuesday morning.


I totally agree Larry. I meant the above as a “before you write it off” comment, but I definitely agree about giving it more time to post, since I think the bank is just holding the posting to audit.  If/when audubon_tx wants to take action or investigate though, then I would follow the course I outlined above so they would have Crystal’s info to provide the bank.

 

Vince

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My TA, whose agency has still not received all payments due from Crystal, interestingly did receive an offer to go to Antarctica on the Crystal Endeavor at a very discounted rate for her and family (which she says is not typically done for Antarctica, though as we know they do get discounts for other cruises ). The in kind value of a very discounted expensive cruise is still not at all near what Crystal owes her, but I guess it is an indirect form of partial "refund".  

She said her clients have now all gotten refunds, (which is good) but her agency has not been fully paid (not good).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, BWIVince said:


I totally agree Larry. I meant the above as a “before you write it off” comment, but I definitely agree about giving it more time to post, since I think the bank is just holding the posting to audit.  If/when audubon_tx wants to take action or investigate though, then I would follow the course I outlined above so they would have Crystal’s info to provide the bank.

 

Vince

 

You were both correct.  Credit permanently applied today.  Never had that happen before.  Maybe my credit was selected for "random acreening".  All is well.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

We were notified this afternoon that Crystal is suspending all ocean cruises through late April and all river cruises through late May because of the financial problems of their parent company.  If we read the notice correctly, they plan to refund all canceled cruises.  Unless they've been authorized to print money, how is that possible?  It sounds like this thread has gained new life.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2021 at 2:15 PM, travelberlin said:

SusieQft, I have received my refund for this cancelled cruise. Only US 300 is still pending. Thanks Crystal 👍

Ivi

SusieQft, I am happy to inform this board that I have received the US 300 which was pending since more than two months. It has been credited 3 days ago to my Credit Card. 
 

In this moment of uncertainties and of sadness of Crystal‘s situation, to receive this small amount made me very happy! It is most appreciated not so much for the amount but for what this refund represents. Thanks Crystal 🙏

 

We are still waiting for a large deposit for the WC 2022, which was done in form of a wire transfer.

 

Ivi

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, teampierce said:

I got a refund today in full for my April 6 cruise on the Symphony.  I filed a claim with Visa and it was refunded within 24 hours.

It is almost certainly a provisional refund- someplace on their website there may be messages- not sure what company you have but we also got a refund posted from Chase Visa. But in the messages they make it clear that this can be reversed after the company discusses the situation with Crystal. I think they give themselves two billing cycles and will alert me to the outcome. I feel pretty confident that ours will be made final, but it is a complicated situation so who knows what could happen. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish all of the very best of Luck with your Refunds.  This is such a stressful time when something like this happens.

 

My Cruise was Canceled in early 2020.  If requested a refund rather than except their offer of future Credits.  Crystal told. Me I would receive it within 90 days.   I won’t bore you my many attempts to receive this refund.  But it took me 11 mos. to receive it.  I do hope you will not have this same experience 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I received a partial refund for who knows what today. It is 1/3 of the deposit I made for a cruise in Alaska this summer which I cancelled and Crystal promised a full repayment. And about 5% of the refund I am expecting for a Crystal cancelled river cruise. No idea what to make of it since there is no information attached. Have others had this experience and what was the outcome? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a refund scenario I don't understand.

 

On 1/10/2022, I cancelled our July 2022 cruise (deposit was paid on 4/21/2021). Received cancellation confirmation from Crystal, showing a pending refund to my Visa card.  So far, so good.

 

On 1/30/2022, the anticipated refund of my deposit showed up as a "pending" credit on my Visa account (Bank of America). Yay…so far, so good.

 

But then four days later (2/3/22), it completely disappeared from my Visa transactions. No more pending credit, and no finalized credit transaction posted. Nothing.

 

I don't understand the process. How can the credit transaction show up on my credit card, and then disappear? Could Crystal have processed my refund when it showed up on my account as pending, but then changed their mind at the last minute, before it was finalized?

Might something have happened on my bank's end that stopped the processed refund from finalizing?

 

I should note that I never started a dispute through Visa. I wanted to wait a few weeks to let the refund scenario play out as it was supposed to work. And then start a dispute if Crystal didn't issue refund as they said they would.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BlewWater said:

I have a refund scenario I don't understand.

 

On 1/10/2022, I cancelled our July 2022 cruise (deposit was paid on 4/21/2021). Received cancellation confirmation from Crystal, showing a pending refund to my Visa card.  So far, so good.

 

On 1/30/2022, the anticipated refund of my deposit showed up as a "pending" credit on my Visa account (Bank of America). Yay…so far, so good.

 

But then four days later (2/3/22), it completely disappeared from my Visa transactions. No more pending credit, and no finalized credit transaction posted. Nothing.

 

I don't understand the process. How can the credit transaction show up on my credit card, and then disappear? Could Crystal have processed my refund when it showed up on my account as pending, but then changed their mind at the last minute, before it was finalized?

Might something have happened on my bank's end that stopped the processed refund from finalizing?

 

I should note that I never started a dispute through Visa. I wanted to wait a few weeks to let the refund scenario play out as it was supposed to work. And then start a dispute if Crystal didn't issue refund as they said they would.

 

 

If you saw a pending refund on your account, that means Crystal authorized (ran) it.  

 

What happens from there?  That's kind of up to the processing gateway and your bank.  Among other things (but seems really relevant here), your bank runs a security check on refunds before they post them, the same way it does on charges.  Refunds that fit certain criteria (such as an uncharacteristically high refund amount for that cardholder that doesn't exactly match a recent charge, or a refund that doesn't match a charge from the same merchant account), sometimes get flagged for a manual review.  Sometimes this can add days to the process.  When the refund finally posts, you can usually tell what happened by the original transaction date on the refund.  If the date remains the original date the pending refund appeared, it's likely that's what happened.  This has been reported several times here.

 

Vince

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

 

If you saw a pending refund on your account, that means Crystal authorized (ran) it.  

 

What happens from there?  That's kind of up to the processing gateway and your bank.  Among other things (but seems really relevant here), your bank runs a security check on refunds before they post them, the same way it does on charges.  Refunds that fit certain criteria (such as an uncharacteristically high refund amount for that cardholder that doesn't exactly match a recent charge, or a refund that doesn't match a charge from the same merchant account), sometimes get flagged for a manual review.  Sometimes this can add days to the process.  When the refund finally posts, you can usually tell what happened by the original transaction date on the refund.  If the date remains the original date the pending refund appeared, it's likely that's what happened.  This has been reported several times here.

 

Vince

Vince, you are absolutely correct!

I had a pending refund on my Citi credit card. Very next day that refund disappeared and showed up 4 days later as processed with the original date of the pending refund. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

just to add to the mix of experiences with crystal refunds/credit card 'credits'.... i have just renewed my dispute over my nov. '21 final payment to crystal for an april '22 cruise.  within 48 hrs of my first dispute on 1/27/21, and an immediate amex credit to my acct. (SOP), crystal apparently responded to amex in a manner that kiboshed my amex credit.  amex has now billed me for the credit they had issued.  after three hours yesterday on the phone (with 3 different folks at their platinum desk... one a 'supervisor') i learned that due to a glitch in their operations, amex would not be able to send me crystal's reply to them for another week.   i am guessing that crystal may have told amex that they are in the process of issuing refunds. another 'guess' is that both amex and crystal would prefer that crystal's debt to me not be subrogated via amex.   if we have to wait out a bankruptcy process... in the end, what is the priority level of debts to customers?...  below those to employees i would imagine... perhaps as well ...  to preexisting legal judgments against them?  does the info afloat that crystal has had our fare payments (since april '21) in a segregated escrow account (if true) have any consequences for our 'security?'  any bankruptcy lawyers on this site? 🙀. (and... while i am also submitting docs to chase visa for my initial payment to crystal in aug 2019... i think that the time elapsed may make that effort a fool's errand.)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, scholarly said:

just to add to the mix of experiences with crystal refunds/credit card 'credits'.... i have just renewed my dispute over my nov. '21 final payment to crystal for an april '22 cruise.  within 48 hrs of my first dispute on 1/27/21, and an immediate amex credit to my acct. (SOP), crystal apparently responded to amex in a manner that kiboshed my amex credit.  amex has now billed me for the credit they had issued.  after three hours yesterday on the phone (with 3 different folks at their platinum desk... one a 'supervisor') i learned that due to a glitch in their operations, amex would not be able to send me crystal's reply to them for another week.   i am guessing that crystal may have told amex that they are in the process of issuing refunds. another 'guess' is that both amex and crystal would prefer that crystal's debt to me not be subrogated via amex.   if we have to wait out a bankruptcy process... in the end, what is the priority level of debts to customers?...  below those to employees i would imagine... perhaps as well ...  to preexisting legal judgments against them?  does the info afloat that crystal has had our fare payments (since april '21) in a segregated escrow account (if true) have any consequences for our 'security?'  any bankruptcy lawyers on this site? 🙀. (and... while i am also submitting docs to chase visa for my initial payment to crystal in aug 2019... i think that the time elapsed may make that effort a fool's errand.)


Did you request a refund from Crystal before you or contacted AmEX?  And if so, what date was that?  At first blush this just sounds like an issue of sequencing and timing.

 

Vince

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BWIVince said:


Did you request a refund from Crystal before you or contacted AmEX?  And if so, what date was that?  At first blush this just sounds like an issue of sequencing and timing.

 

Vince

Ah- I'm with Chase so that is one huge difference. Sorry- got confused there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, 5waldos said:

Ah- I'm with Chase so that is one huge difference. Sorry- got confused there. 

Too bad ... Chase is the worst with refunds based on my experience. I hope that you get your refund.

 

If you get the invoice from Crystal that refund was made to Chase and Chase claims otherwise, let me know. I have experience taking Chase to court to get my refund back (from a different tour merchant).

Edited by Sdancer
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: AmaWaterways Announces an Extended Season on the Douro River
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...